Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

OD720
Topic Author

MEA Will Anounce BEY-GRU Soon

Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:08 pm

I've been told by an insider that MEA will be anouncing BEY-GRU service soon. I was told that the route will be operated via Dakar and not Abidjan as they used to in the 90s. Frequency is still not known.

It is possible that the airline will lease two widebodies before the ssummer season. Both A330s and A340s are equally being considered.

Nothing new though on the BEY-YUL front.

What do you think, can BEY-GRU be profitable for MEA? They have a good network in the Middle East and might be able to use it as a feeder market.

Best regards.

Amir

RE: MEA Will Announce BEY-GRU Soon

Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:42 pm

Enshpeses Vatche!

I do hope that MEA will not realize this route! as i think they will hardly make money with it, or rather it will be a high risky route.
MEA shall not fall in the trap many small airlines fall in when they dream of extending their long range routes. The majority of the Traffic GRU-BEY will be of ethnic nature thus low yield, the demand might be big but will it be enough to support a profitable long range operation? Filling planes might be easy, but breaking even is tough! MEA has consolidated many routes and done a great job in concentrating on their short/med.range routes.

Regards to BEY
Amir

latinaviation

RE: MEA Will Anounce BEY-GRU Soon

Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:47 pm

I am sure MEA would realize excellent load factors, but make money is something different. Although, doesn't Sao Paulo have the second largest Lebanese population outside of Lebanon? I know it's up there, just cannot remember where exactly. All the best to them!

BA

Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:59 pm

This is interesting OD720, thanks for reporting this.

I assume the route will be seasonal? Or will it be year-round?

I think MEA will generate considerable amount of traffic to Dakar as that is one destination in West Africa with a very large Lebanese population not served by MEA.

Whether the route will be profitable, I really don't know. If MEA can keep costs down, that is to there advantage.

I think this route can definately make money during the summer since volume is at its max and that is when MEA can generate higher revenue by higher ticket prices.

Whether it can be successful year-round, I really don't know. Dakar can be. I hear MEA's flights to Abidjan, Lagos, Accra, and Kano which operate year-round are profitable year-round.

Remember that back in the 90's when MEA was operating to GRU and KUL/SYD, there operating costs were MUCH MUCH MUCH higher. MEA has greatly slimmed down costs and I am sure many of the previous routes are now feasible.

Well, I look forward to hearing more and I hope MEA can be successful on this route.

Interesting about them getting A340s. MEA currently has a contract with Rolls-Royce to supply spare parts for its A330-200s which are powered by RR Trent 700's and the A321-200s which are powered by IAE V2500s which is a consortium made up primarily from Rolls-Royce and Pratt & Whitney. If they get A340-300s, costs would rise for them since they would need to sign a contract with CFM to supply spare parts for the CFM56s which is the only engine available for the A340-300.

Now if they get A340-500s....that's another story. But if MEA plans to operate to Sao Paulo via Dakar, the A340-500 would be a waste.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

yegbey01

Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:02 am

I am a little worried about re-starting the service to GRU.

Better, they stick to the short haul business. Not as risky!!

BA

Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:03 am

By the way, the Brazilian president is currently in Beirut. I am sure they discussed something with MEA about flying to GRU. Possibly offered them incentives.

Read more here:
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/business/05_12_03_b.asp
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

yegbey01

Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:04 am

BA

why doesn't Varig fly to BEY???

What about a year-round to BEY via FRA?

BA

Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:08 am

Yegbey01,

Varig used to fly to Beirut before the war and I know the route was very successful for them.

Maybe they will consider it one day in the future now that the war has been over for 13 years.

Regards

yegbey01

Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:23 am

A code share probably MEA and Varig should be even better.

But we'll have to wait and see until we see an official announcement

BA

Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:26 am

Yegboy01,

It would be really good if Varig code-shares on the MEA flight. Who knows, they might.

That would help make the route profitable even more for MEA.

If MEA really is serious about Sao Paulo, I assume they've found a way to make it profitable. When Prime Minister Rafik Hariri asked MEA to launch a feasibility study for the route, MEA did and they studied it for quite some time. Now we know what they concluded....

Remember that MEA is not the same as it was when it was flying to Sao Paulo back in the 90's 1x weekly through Abidjan on 747-200s.

Regards

OD720
Topic Author

Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:25 am

Hi BA and all,

I'm not sure about the A340, I was told an Airbus widebody and since the A340 was rumored before, I didn't want to exclude it. More A330s will definitley keep costs to the minimum.

I think that the route might become successful, MEA has good frequencies to major cities in the Middle East which can help to the success too.

I don't know about Dakar, has MEA ever operated there?

Marco

Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:45 am

It's good to see MEA considering SA again. Isn't it true that 8M Lebanese people live in Brazil?
Proud to be an Assyrian!

leviticus

Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:46 am

Actually I don't really get how everybody seems to be so interested in the activities of MEA, almost a tread every day ! It is a really small and limited air carrier but there is a lot more talk about it than for instance CZA or LOT, what's so special, geez  Insane

EurostarVA

Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:53 am

This topic seems to be recurring !! I doubt the source of this news though...
If there is a will, there is a way

yegbey01

Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:59 am

It's true that MEA is a very small carrier. But remember that there are Lebanese living across the world. 8 million in Brazil alone.

So, people are always interested in seeing the national carrier regain its glory.

donder10

Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:17 am

I hope they don't.It will undo all the good work they have done so far in turning the airline around and concentrating on West Africa and European routes.They will lose a load flying to GRU (especially in winter)but adding DKR will be an excellent move.BEY-GRU traffic can simply connect through CDG!

Even BEY-YUL be a waste to add the 340,GRU even more so.

airxliban

Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:18 am

OD720,

Thanks so much for the news.

Wonder why they have chosen GRU instead of GIG?

One may think that YUL would be a more lucrative route for MEA, but I have no doubt that MEA knows what they are doing.

Why dont we all go to GRU to celebrate the arrival of MEA and then fly back with MEA to Beirut?  Smile  Smile

So can we now expect a F-OMED?

Seasonal only service?

Let's hope to get more info.

Once again, good for MEA and thanks OD720 for enlightening us.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

KL808

Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:31 am

This is indeed good news if they do resume service. Im sure those boys out in BEY know what they are doing.

If they do add an aircraft it would most likely be another A330-200. Besides from West Africa to GRU would be possible on this aircraft any way, so why get an A340 (though very similar to the A330 the engines are different like mentioned above).

drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

MEA321

Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:49 am

Wonderful news for MEA, wonderful news for Lebanon!

This was discussed before in another forum, and I got the impression that the route was not very feasible, but anyways if MEA thinks it worth it then I am behind them 100%. Here are some operations specs for this route:

Beirut-Dakar 3589 miles
Flight time: 7 Hours

Dakar-Sao Paolo 3321 miles
Flight time: 6 Hours 30 Minutes

There is a 4 hour time difference between Sao Paolo and Beirut (Beirut is 4 hours ahead of Sao Paolo).

By the way...I'm going to Lebanon on Wednesday. Look for a trip report once I get back after new years! I am going with British Airways to London, and then MEA to Beirut!

MEA321
MEA321

EurostarVA

Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:53 am

Why are you expecting the yields on the BEY-GRU route to be low if Brazil's Lebanese population is wealthy? In fact some of the richest citizens in Brazil are of Lebanese origin and continue to travel home.
If there is a will, there is a way

yegbey01

Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:09 am

Let's wait until this whole thing becomes official. These are just rumours.

Not long ago, it was said that MEA will not be re-opening the route as it may not be profitable.

BA

Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:08 am

Leviticus,

If the thread doesn't interest you, then why do you even bother viewing it? Why do you even waste your time replying with absolutely nothing to add to this thread, but simply to spread anger?

It doesn't matter that MEA is a small carrier. There are a lot of MEA discussions because there are a lot of MEA fans and MEA is a very hot topic now with a lot of things going on.

Don't bother viewing the thread, it's that simple. It really isn't that hard. You are causing nothing but tension by your post and have added absolutely nothing valuable to this thread.

EurostarVA,

Because VFR routes are often always low-yielding. When MEA flew the route in the 90's, it was low-yielding.

Despite yields being low, MEA can make the route successful if they keep costs low and ensure that the flights go out nearly 100% full on each flight.

Yegbey01,

There was no official statement by MEA that the route wasn't profitable. I think some people were concluding that the route will not be feasible since we didn't hear a response from MEA after the feasibility study. Looks like now we have.

I believe politics are in some way getting involved. I think the Brazilian president's visit has something to do with it. Perhaps Brazil guaranteed profitability for the route, as in Brazil offered MEA and incentive and is willing to lower costs for them at Sao Paulo Airport and possibly even advertising for MEA.

We'll have to wait and see. MEA should be successful at least on the Dakar segment.

Regards

leviticus

Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:51 am

BA,
Tension and anger, what are you talking about ? I simply made a justified statement/question because I feel like the MEA treads are flooding this forum just like other treads like "who has the best livery" or "I'm flying with X airline tomorrow, what can I expect".
Regards

yegbey01

Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:55 am

Leviticus,

If you thought MEA was small, what are you going to say about LOT. Not until a few years back, no one had evev geard of LOT. come on.....

As BA said, you are welcome to say anything you want... But if news about MEA doesn't interest you, just butt out.... You don't need to see the thread.

capiche....

airxliban

Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:31 am

somehow i managed to miss that post of Leviticus.

There have not been that many MEA posts. And so what if there have been? If it pisses you off, then ignore it. The purpose of this forum is to learn about aviation and keep up with aviation news.

Actually I don't really get how everybody seems to be so interested in the activities of MEA, almost a tread every day ! It is a really small and limited air carrier but there is a lot more talk about it than for instance CZA or LOT, what's so special, geez

is what you said.

keep in mind, its not everybody who is interested. if you look through the MEA posts, its usually the same people who bring up something, but many others respond. You don't understand why they are interested? Maybe its because we are intersted in all aspects of aviation.

What is so special about MEA is that this is an airline that has weathered many, many storms over its long history and has managed to survive, even through the hardships and infeasible operating conditions it faced during the Lebanese Civil War. At times when other carriers pulled out, MEA would keep safe air travel between Lebanon and the outside world going. Their service during the war is really something amazing.

Now, MEA has become one of the best airlines in the Middle East, if not the world. We are proud to see the Cedar on the tail flying as high as it is. Now perhaps you'll understand.

Anyway, as reiterated by BA and Yegbey01, if you're not interested don't bother posting in the thread!

VRG772

Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:00 pm

That would be great to have MEA flying to Brazil...
It would be the only flight from Brazil to an Arabian country. Considering the huge Lebanese community that there's in Brazil, and the other arabians communities, Brazil should already have a flight to an arabian country.
Also Brazil is trying to make the thread with Lebanon, more intense (Lula, President of Brazil is now in Lebanon to talk about it). Perhaps, and code-share with Varig would be better, like Varig did with South African Airways.
Today, on the news, were officially announced that there's going to be flights between GRU and BEY.
But, why would this service be seasonal, as said here?

Rgds,
Julio Big grin
Decolagem Autorizada.

yegbey01

Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:26 pm

VGR772

do you have the actual news release?

Thanks

BA

Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:06 pm

Yegbey01,

Tommorows Daily Star I think will have an article about the flight.

Honestly now that I think about it....if the route is being announced now, then I somewhat doubt it will be seasonal. I have a feeling it's going to be year-round, but MEA can't launch this route unless they get a 4th A330. I really wonder....how soon could they get a 4th A330? Would they order a 4th from Airbus and temporarily lease an A330 in the meantime?

If the route is being announced now, I assume MEA has plans to start the flight in the Spring timetable which starts March 28. If that's the case, then I doubt the route will be seasonal.

Well I think we will learn a lot more once we find a press release or an article.

Regards

VRG772

Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:54 pm

Yegbey01,

no I still dont have the release... It was said on TV today that president of Brazil (who is in Lebanon) set up and agreement with Lebanon to have flights between this countries. So tomorrow morning there will probably be some articles on the newspapers, and than I translate and put it here to you read.
Again, I'm not sure there'll be this article, ok? If there's, I put it here...

Rgds,
Julio Big grin
Decolagem Autorizada.

flyyul

Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:30 pm

Meanwhile in Canada..

Our government is bending backwards so we can make sure that the terrorists dont land in Canada, and leak into the United States  Big thumbs up

God bless Canadian integrity!

TS-IOR

Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:39 pm

The Lebanese community is important in South-America and many of them are businessmen so these flights could work successfully from the very first days.

I would have preferred that the stop was in Tunis as Aeroflot used to do.IL-96s used to stop at Tunis in their SVO-GRU routes,and the airline had also fifth-freedom on the Tunis-Sao Paolo leg.MEA could have benefited from that.

FlySSC

RE: MEA Will Announce BEY-GRU Soon

Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:52 pm

Guys, don't be too hard with Leviticus... he is not THAT wrong : with a fleet of 9 planes, MEA is (not yet !) a big airline...

Leviticus,

If you are interested in the world history, you should know what happened to Lebanon during almost 20 years.
You know, also, how an airline, a National airline, is important, as the symbol of a country.

MEA is very important, for all the Lebanese. They can be proud of what MEA has done during this terrible period of the civil war. MEA didn't fire 1 of its employees during the war, all MEA staff did their best during 20 years to maintain a symbolic presence at BEY airport, even during the darkest moment. The airline never stopped flying, to/from LCA when BEY airport was closed under incessant bombings, or chartered by other airlines (mostly Air France & Air Inter ).
The Lebanese population is spread around the world, and today MEA is recovering from hell, back again on the market, with brand new planes, a brand new hub. Of course you can't compare MEA to Emirates, or even Gulf Air ! But MEA was, in the 50's & 60's the "Emirates" of that time, and aim to become again the great important airline it used to be. The "new" MEA who spread its wings, the Cedar's wings, more and more every year is the symbol of the recovery of this wonderful country and wonderful people, I think all this can explain the "enthusiasm" of all the Lebanese on this forum, to what is happening to their National Airline, even if it doesn't change the face of the world !

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Martin
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ben Pritchard

BA

Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:25 am

The Brazilian president stated that there must be direct flights and maritime lines between Brazil and Beirut. So this explains the MEA flight:
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/06_12_03/art1.asp

Guys, don't be too hard with Leviticus... he is not THAT wrong : with a fleet of 9 planes, MEA is (not yet !) a big airline...

We never said it was big. I even said myself that yes MEA is a small airline. He is arguing though that because MEA is a small airline, there shouldn't be as many MEA posts as there are! Which is absolutely silly....

Regards

MEA321

Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:42 am

Was anybody aware that the A330-200 and more specifically the Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines are only rated for 90 minute ETOPS? The trip from Dakar to Sao Paulo covers a wide body of water with little or few emergency alternates. According to my sources the minimum ETOPS rating that MEA would need in order to make the trip is 120 minutes or more.

MEA321

For anybody who knows, will I be on the A330 or the A321 this wednesday to Beirut. I dont want to get off topic... Smile
MEA321

BA

Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:56 am

That's a good point. MEA cannot fly the route with 90 minute ETOPs:
DKR-GRU&PATH-UNITS=mi&PATH-COLOR=red&ETOPS=90>

The darker areas are zones that you cannot fly through in 90-minute ETOPs. MEA would have to go around it which would significantly increase travel time. So I do wonder what MEA will do....

MEA321,

What day of the week are you flying LHR-BEY?

Regards

Marco

Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:07 am

According to Amadeus you'll be on the A321!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

BA

Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:29 am

Ah..sorry I didn't see that you said Wednesday. It's Saturday morning and I'm not alert.  Smile

Yes, you'll be on an A321.

MEA is temporarily operating LHR-BEY 4x weekly A330 and 1x weekly A321 until December 31st. After that, it will become 5x weekly A330.

In the summer, they operate daily.

Regards

MEA321

Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:30 am

Thank you for that Marco, I wanted to be on the A330 but it looks like on my way back ill have that chance after all!

Back to the topic...I think when OD720 mentioned something about two new widebodies, those could be the ones that are modified for further extended ETOPS. Remember all that airbus has to do is add an central fuel tank to the A330 which would make it an A340 with two engines! The only problems of course is restricting cargo, of course, if they were to do that. That's where the advantage of having an A340 comes in. There is no cargo restrictions because of extra equipment required, and no ETOPS problems if they wanted to fly to Brazil.

MEA321
MEA321

BA

Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:33 am

MEA321,

Remember all that airbus has to do is add an central fuel tank to the A330 which would make it an A340 with two engines!

All A330-200s have a center fuel tank. That's one of the reasons why it has quite a bit of range.

The A330-300 does not have a center fuel tank, but the A330-300X does.

airxliban

Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:14 am

MEA321, have a great trip! Isn't it ironic that MEA321 will be going on a MEA 321?  Smile

Anyway, is it possible that this whole this is a diplomatic issue and there really is no intention of starting flights? MEA would know that those A330's can't make it, and wouldn't they have had to have placed an order by now for some alternative mode of transportation?

As BA said...

Interesting about them getting A340s. MEA currently has a contract with Rolls-Royce to supply spare parts for its A330-200s which are powered by RR Trent 700's and the A321-200s which are powered by IAE V2500s which is a consortium made up primarily from Rolls-Royce and Pratt & Whitney. If they get A340-300s, costs would rise for them since they would need to sign a contract with CFM to supply spare parts for the CFM56s which is the only engine available for the A340-300.

So this makes it seem like a 340 is unlikely. Another 330 wouldn't solve the problem. 777????????????????? haha j/k.

i suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Regards to all

BA

Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:41 am

If you read the article from the Daily Star that I posted the link to, you will see it that it mentions flights between Brazil and Lebanon. Also, Brazilian news media is reporting that MEA is going to start service to Brazil so it looks like it will happen.

I personally would love it if MEA would get 777s and I heard a few years ago, MEA said they would consider 777s in the future.

Marco

Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:49 am

I always get to see the A321 in Dubai! However, I think that they're operating the A330 to DXB now. What's funny is how Lebanese people in Dubai are in Beirut one day and Dubai the next. They travel between the two cities so much!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

BA

Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:57 am

Marco,

What's funny is how Lebanese people in Dubai are in Beirut one day and Dubai the next. They travel between the two cities so much!

Maybe you've seen my uncle. He travels between Beirut and Dubai so many times per year and sometimes spends just a couple days in Dubai before going back to Beirut.

Right now MEA flies 3x weekly on an A321 and 4x weekly on an A330-200. This is a recent upgrade, before it was daily A321.

Regards

Marco

Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:02 am

Well in Dubai, we have Arab magazines that have pictures of weddings, ceremonies (religious ones), parties, etc and we always see people we know from Dubai in Beirut or vice versa. My friend's parents are always flying between the two cities. And business ties between the two cities are getting bigger by the day. The Lebanese in Dubai control all the luxury goods (cosmetics, perfumes, watches), the media and advertising and these two fields require a lot of travel!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Marco

Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:10 am

Also, I remember when the route was operated by a daily A320. Traffic has grown so much on this route!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

BA

Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:12 am

Indeed it has.

MEA's last A320, F-OHLO is sitting infront of MEA's hangers and will very very shortly be returned to the leaser.

I think the 6th A321 was finally delivered, F-ORMJ.

Regards

Marco

Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:15 am

BA do you remember what MEA flew to DXB before the daily A320? I can't seem to remember, but I think they used to fly the B707 to DXB!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

yyz717

Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:19 am

I sincerely hope MEA does add GRU soon. it will be a symbolic link to the Americas that hopefully will be a prelude to YUL, JFK & DTW in due course.

The least risky way for MEA to add GRU service successfully is to start out slow....such as 2x weekly 332 flights via an existing West African gateway with ground handling at GRU by another airline. Adding a single 343 for instance would be an expensive way of adding GRU. IMHO.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

BA

Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:25 am

Marco,

Yes, they used the 707 before.

Yyz717,

I'm afraid MEA has no choice but to get another aircraft type whether it's A340s or 777s because if the A330-200 is only certified for 90-minute ETOPs, then they can't operate the route from any West African destination. They would have to get A340s or 777s.

If MEA does get an A340 or 777, I see them flying to more than just GRU. Possibly SYD again, and YUL if they can....

We'll see what happens....

Regards

yegbey01

Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:25 am

I still don't know why Varig doesn't offer the service. We all know that MEA is very cautius but I am sure Varig can extend one of its European services to BEY.

If the potential is there, I think the Lebanese government should push the Brazilian president to press Varig to offer the service

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos