Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

thaigold
Topic Author

A Month In A Pilots Life

Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:05 am

I am very interested to hear how much the pilots in this forum has flown in the last week/month and where it brought you around the country/world. Also are there any flights that you look more forward to than others??

Any insight to this great world of pilots would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

thaigold
Topic Author

RE: A Month In A Pilots Life

Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:23 pm

I must say that I thought that there were a few pilots in this forum - but maybe I'm wrong....

FlyGuyClt

Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:13 pm

Nah, They are not up at this hour  Smile Just us flight attedants .  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

Rick767

Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:35 pm

If you're interested in us UK "budget airline" crews, here's 10th - 17th Dec for me (all 73G, times UTC):

Wed 10th (Yesterday)

Report 11:20, back 22:05 (LGW-BIO-LGW-ZRH-LGW)

Thu 11th (Today)

Report 15:25, back 21:05 (LGW-PMI-LGW)

Fri 12th

Report 13:55, back 22:15 (LGW-EDI-LGW-EDI-LGW)

Sat 13th to Mon 15th

Off

Tue 16th

Report 06:00, back 13:45 (LGW-BFS-LGW-AMS-LGW)

Wed 17th

Report 05:40, back 13:00 (LGW-AGP-LGW)

We normally work a 5-on, 3-off pattern and generally start the duty period on earlys and end up on afternoon / lates before having 3 consecutive days off. Let me know if you want the rest of the month.

Rick.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

Tiger119

Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:42 pm

Rick767, do you ever have trips that lasted a couple of days? How much down time do you get when you get the airport (last destination of the day) before you have to report back?
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

gordonsmall

Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:43 pm

Rick,

What was your typical schedule like with BY, hours per week/year, days off and such like?

Regards,
Gordon.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

Rick767

Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:11 pm

Tiger119

"Rick767, do you ever have trips that lasted a couple of days? How much down time do you get when you get the airport (last destination of the day) before you have to report back?"

Since we are a "low-cost" airline, we have no nightstops away from base so all crew are home for the night. This saves on costly hotel accommodation and meal allowances, taxi transfers, etc...

Exceptions of course if we are snow-bound or anything like that!

So all our trips start at our base airport and end there too. Good for the family life (no nights away from home), but the downside is that we rarely stay in any city for more than 40 minutes!

Gordon

"What was your typical schedule like with BY, hours per week/year, days off and such like?"

Email me and I will send you a couple of my monthly BY 2003 Summer rosters. Typically 85-90 hours flight time, 120 hours on duty, 10 days off, and plenty of night flights.

Winter rosters were about 40 hours a month, 20 days off... bliss  Smokin cool

Tolosy

Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:13 pm

Nice thread,

How long before a flight do you have to be at the airport.

Before a flight, you have to spend some time at the briefing room in order to prepare the flight.

I was wondering, during this briefing are you preparing as well the way back, if you are flying on short haul (the majority of european flights). Because, when you reach your destination you hardly have time to prepare the way back.

You land, reach the gate and 30 mn after are already waiting for clearance to take off.

I hope that I have made myself clear.

Nick

Rick767

Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:23 pm

Nick,

We report 1 hour before in the briefing room, most if not all of the preparation in flight planning terms has been done for us for all flight sectors, and the information we need like weather and NOTAMS are available in a package for us to collect and read. These are checked for all airports across the relevant times we will be operating there, as well as en-route weather, turbulence forecasts, the European picture etc...

Most days it's a 10 minute job - yesterday it was a bit more in-depth as we had fog at LGW and poor vis forecast in ZRH later in the day (though BIO was nice).

In general there is always time for a coffee and a chat before we head out to the aircraft, as we are familiar with all our routes and destinations so there are rarely any huge surprises in store.

We can prepare for the return flight during cruise on the outbound, and FMC programming on the ground is quick once you get to know the routine and get your typing up to speed. I can roll off even a long-ish sector like AGP or ATH in 5 minutes.

Ejazz

Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:00 pm

Part of my B777 roster for last month went something like this.

Singapore - Nagoya reporting 0015 One night.
Nagoya - Singapore reporting at 0850.

One day off.

Singapore - Bangkok - Seoul reporting at 2145. One night.
Seoul - San Francisco reporting 1625. Two nights.
San Francisco - Seoul reporting 1150. One night.
Seoul - Singapore reporting 1815.

Three days off.

Singapore - Johannesburg reporting at 0030. One night.
Johannesburg - Cape Town - Johannesburg reporting 0605. One night.
Johannesburg - Singapore reporting 1315.

One day off.

Singapore - Hong Kong - Singapore reporting 0730.

Singapore - Melbourne reporting 0855. One night
Melbourne - Singapore reporting 2350.

One day off

Singapore - Hanoi - Singapore reporting 0935.

Singapore - Frankfurt reporting 1140. Two nights
Frankfurt - Singapore reporting 1945.

That should give you some idea of the life that we choose. If there was a drawback its the way this particular Airline rosters you a day off but you report for work just past midnight. For those used to a 5 day week it would be similiar to finishing work midnight Friday and commencing work again midnight Sunday.

Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.

Tolosy

Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:01 pm

thanks a lot,

It is really helpful

thaigold
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:05 pm

Hi Rick767

Thanks for your replies - seems like I'm not the only one with a desire to know a bit more about life as a pilot.

As most of your listed flights are to different cities it must be quite varied - but do you also have weeks where you just fly between LGW and just one or two other cities? And wouldn't that be a bit boring??? If flying a plane could be boring  Wink/being sarcastic

thaigold
Topic Author

Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:12 pm

Ejazz

Thanks for info - and now for a stupid question (maybe):

How do you avoid jetlag????? Or are you just used to it???

Rick767

Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:19 pm

We have 17 destinations from LGW, ranging from 197nm away to 1,289nm away, which is quite varied (though in my previous airline we had over 50 destinations!).

The flights are combined into duty "blocks" which are slightly different at the weekend than on weekdays.

From LGW there are 19 duty "blocks" on a typical weekday. Each block is on the same aircraft. So one of the morning duty blocks is LGW-AMS-LGW-INV-LGW and we might get rostered to do that say two days in a row. More commonly though we will get a different "block" the following day (like LGW-ZRH-LGW-LIN-LGW)....

Later in the series of our 5 "on" days we will normally shift to afternoon or night blocks which mean we are more likely to do 2-sectors and places like ALC, PMI and AGP are more common trips where we just do a "there and back".

Our shortest duty block is 05:10 from report to shutdown back at LGW, while the longest is 10:45.

So generally we do get a bit of variety, although we visit the closer destinations like AMS, BFS, EDI more regularly and there is more chance of being rostered on those trips than say ATH which is just once daily.

Sometimes it just happens to be the case that you do end up flying the same trips again and again, one week I went to ZRH about 5 times! It just depends I guess.

SWAbubba

Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:27 pm

Here's what I've flown so far this month- times are US Central time

Mon 1st -Report 1820 BWI-PVD hotel around 2055

Tue 2nd - Report 1250 PVD-BNA-MSY-BHM-BWI off at 2245

3rd - 5th off

Sat 6th - Picked up extra flying during the snowstorm caused by crews out of place Report 1335 BWI DH (deadhead) to BDL, fly BDL-BWI-MCI-OAK hotel around 0115

Sun 7th - Report 1230 OAK-SAN, then DH SAN-BWI (with an unscheduled stop in IND for a passenger who was having trouble breathing) off at 2230

8th off

Tue 9th - Report 1500 BWI DH to MDW, fly MDW-BNA-TPA, hotel at 0100 due to weather delays

Wed 10th - Report 1700 fly TPA-FLL-TPA-BWI off at 2310

11th-15th off

There really is no such thing as a regular schedule at my airline. You can trade trips and move your workdays around or pick up extra flying as much or as little as you want so long as you stay within the FAR flight time limits- 8 hours a day, 30 hrs in 7 days, and 100 hrs in a calendar month.

Good luck!

gordonsmall

Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:32 pm

Sometimes it just happens to be the case that you do end up flying the same trips again and again, one week I went to ZRH about 5 times!

Cheese with holes, Cuckoo clocks and all those eastern Europeans who've set up knocking shops in Switzerland after the fall of the Berlin wall - what more could you want on a 30 minute "layover".

Come on Rick, you're from Manchester area aren't you? Surely a "mad for it" lad like you can come up with something to do in the Alps......  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Gordon.

Rick767

Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:50 pm

So that's why those ZRH flights are so full eh? Cheese with holes...  Big grin

I've lived down south too long I think, turning into a soft southener. My "mad for it lad" days must have ended with 'A' Levels I think!!

I won't divulge what us MAN crews used to get up to with a week off in the Dominican Republic of course.... wasn't half as bad as those Airtours lot anyway!

Those were the days, life became so boring when I moved to LGW...

gordonsmall

Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:01 pm

I've lived down south too long I think, turning into a soft southener. My "mad for it lad" days must have ended with 'A' Levels I think!!

You've lived in Brighton for waaaaaay too long obviously - strange place that - great people and brilliant for sea fishing but the pubs are rather too confusing for me, multiple pubs with the same name can only lead to trouble after a few pints especially for a northerner like me .....

Get onto your base captain and tell him you want a transfer up here to GLA or EDI - a few months up here and us Scots would soon have all that softness driven out of you ....  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

And it costs a damn sight less for a pint of lager up here as well!  Angry

Gordon.

Rick767

Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:06 pm

"And it costs a damn sight less for a pint of lager up here as well!"

You said it! Apparently you can buy beer for less than £2 a pint up there? Is this rumour true?!!

My other half wants to move into the city (London) which is a bit of a dreaded thought, £3 - £4 a pint or more there!!

gkirk

Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:37 pm

Some places up here its £1.50 for a pint of lager, although I've known some places to offer a pint for £1  Wow!  Wow!
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

[email protected]

Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:51 pm

Rick - do you have a degree?

A friend of mine, who's 22 now, is very clever (mainly A*s at GCSE, 3 As and a B at A Level, and a 2:1 in Aeronautical Engineering at Uni). He is pursuing a career as a fighter pilot in the RAF and I won't be surprised if he's successful (he's also got flying experience).

I thought about becoming a professional (airline) pilot, but unfortunately my eyesight isn't of the required standard. Still, I'm not bothered: not long before I (hopefully) qualify as a barrister and fly for fun (having got my PPL).

Would be interesting to know your level of (non-flying) qualification, if you don't mind.  Smile If I'm correct, a degree is not essential in becoming an airline pilot, but you seem clever, etc., so I'm curious about whether or not you have one or, if not, what you have.

[Edited 2003-12-12 15:04:54]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

[email protected]

Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:55 pm

"The city (London) which is...£3 - £4 a pint or more..."

I have been into the Old Bank of England - a truly superb pub in terms of décor and customers - in Fleet Street numerous times. It's not particularly or prohibitively expensive (£5 for a pint and a vodka and coke), despite being in a very 'professional' area of London, what with all the journalists and lawyers. When I'm in London, I'll be going there daily!  Wink/being sarcastic

[Edited 2003-12-12 14:58:16]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Demoose

Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:05 pm

£5 a pint, and you call that not expensive!!! You should come to Wetherspoons in Nottingham, £1 a pint on Mondays (even beats the SU bar) Woohoo!

Really interesting thread by the way, cheers for the insight Rick!

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

[email protected]

Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:12 pm

Eh? £5 for a pint AND a vodka and coke!!!!! Gees, I'm quite a tight-fisted chap when it comes to paying for beer, so I usually just go to my local Weatherspoons - where it costs £1.29 for a pint of Carling.  Wink/being sarcastic

Demoose

Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:19 pm

Ah I get you now, with the Vodka and Coke aswell £5 ain't so bad after all! Love it when my mates from 'darn sarf' come up here and amazed at the cheapness!
Take a ride...fly across the sky

[email protected]

Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:26 pm

LOL! I come from North Devon, which is relatively expensive for alcohol. I'm now in Bangor, North Wales, where it's even more expensive! Trust me to choose the most expensive uni in Wales for alcohol!  Wink/being sarcastic

KALB

Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:08 am

SWABubba,

Have you been through ALB anytime recently. I'm a big WN fan, especially ALB-MCO. Do you think you'll do ALB-MDW anytime soon?

macmac76

Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:15 am

this is a great thread! we need more pilots to respond!

gordonsmall

Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:42 am

You said it! Apparently you can buy beer for less than £2 a pint up there? Is this rumour true?!!

Believe it or not, £2 for a pint is considered expensive up here.

My local pub is actually quite expensive (it's a small town with too many pubs - not enough trade to go round) but I can still get a pint of pretty much any lager or beer for less than £1.90, spirits are typically £1 for a 35ml measure with any mixer you want (none of these cheapskate 25ml measures you get down south!).

In Edinburgh it's not unusual to pay £1 for a pint of a fairly common lager or beer.

The nighclubs still shaft you though (£2.20 for a bottle of becks/miller etc).  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Regards,
Gordon.

SlamClick

Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:48 am

Just grabbed a month at random. It turned out to be June 2003.

01-10 OFF at home.

11 PHL-PIT-PBI-CLT
12 CLT-CUN-CLT-TPA (Long overnight)
13 TPA-CLT-AUA (25 hour layover)
14 AUA-PHL

15 Simulator (Recurrent LOFT)
16-17 OFF in domicile

18 PHL-PIT-SEA (Long overnight)
19 SEA-PIT-Deadhead to CLT
20 CLT-AUA (25 hour layover)
21 AUA-PHL

22-24 OFF in domicile without enough time to get home.

25 PHL-PIT-PBI-PHL-CLT
26 CLT-CUN-CLT-TPA (Long overnight)
27 TPA-CLT-AUA (25 hour layover)
28 AUA-PHL

29-06 July OFF at home.

As I live in one time zone and work in another I only get home when I have five or more days to make the offline commute worthwhile. I retire next year and can put up with anything for that long. I keep a rented room at my domicile to avoid having to stay in hotels in there, and so that I do not have to pack much when I do go home. I do my laundry at my crashpad and cook most of my own meals there. You do get tired of restaurant (and especially room service) meals.

One great thing about the job is that there is very little of home or the job that can intrude on the other. I cannot come home at lunchtime and unstop a drain. Likewise, I cannot get priority-assigned a trip from home because I absolutely cannot get there in time. When I am at work, I am unplugged from problems at home. When I am off I am truly OFF!

You seem to be interested in the life. One thing that has made huge changes in the life is the cell phone. The change is as big as those caused by 9/11. Most flight attendants, and some pilots get on their cell phones as soon as we head out to catch the hotel van. They spend the entire drive on the phone and as a result, we never meet them. It is rare now for an entire crew to go out and do anything together on a layover.

The life either suits you or it does not. I was born for it.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

thaigold
Topic Author

Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:09 am

Thanks to the pilots that have replied. I find the posts very very interesting and they give a great insight to the working life of a pilot......

If any more want to post it would be greatly appreciated..... Are there any freighter pilots out there??

AA777MIA

Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:58 pm

What, no one wants to know that a flight attendants sked looks like these days??? =)

thaigold
Topic Author

Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:54 pm

Good point AA777MIA.....

How does the FA's schedule look - similar to the pilots???????

N1120A

Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:40 pm

Hey Rick, when do you switch from yoke to sidestick? How is EZY going to handle the pilots with that change, the training costs will be big, so will they do what B6 is doing with the 190s and only allow one or the other or will they train all on all?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

SQ325

Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:10 am

I'll leave tommorrow for a 3 day trip

15th
FRA-LEJ-FRA-FLR-FRA-MUC
16th
MUC-BUD-MUC-FLR
17th
FLR-MUC-SJJ-MUC-BRU-FRA

18th
there is my medical check

SWAbubba

Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:59 am

KALB,

No, I haven't been to ALB recently although I was in all the snow in BUF this morning. I don't try to guess where we'll add service, we have people much smarter than me making those decisions (besides, my guesses are always wrong  Sad ).

We just added two of the new dual boarding bridges at ALB, so getting on and off the plane should be even faster now.

Thanks for flying with us!

Captain.MD-11

Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:16 am

Great choice of topic Thaigold. Its nice chance to get to read exact details about what (hopefully) i'll be letting myself in for in 6-12 months time. I worked for DHL (via a local agency) at EMA for 2 months, and you get an idea what flight crews are flying what per day/week. But there is nothing like information straight from the Pilot's mouth  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

How's fly by wire treating you Rick767?

BTW You can't beat Nottingham for a good night out, i've got the belly to prove it  Wink/being sarcastic
Twins,twins, everywhere.... but where are the three holers?

fly727

Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:39 am

Well, let me see....

Monday-Sunday
Wait at the FBO or at home just in case my boss wants to go up for a ride. That rarely happens. Keep the cell phone always ON to see if we can rent the thing and make some extra money out of it (gas and parking are expensive). Give it a shine once in a while. Run the engine once in a while. Turn ON the radios to listen those that are flying. Running the engine once again to have the battery charged. Waiting and waiting.....

Sounds like fun, right? (Despite all that, I LOVE IT).
RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

Rick767

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:49 am

[email protected],

Rick - do you have a degree?

No I don't - after 'A' Levels I went straight into the real world, got a job, and saved up for my flight training!

Only took a few years!! Incidentally, I turned down offers from Edinburgh University and UMIST to study Computing, having made the tough decision that it would effectively have been a waste of 4 years of my life when I had already decided what I wanted to do.

The 14 CAA ATPL Written Exams are like a degree though... the content has been described as "at least a couple of 'A' Levels".

N1120A

"Hey Rick, when do you switch from yoke to sidestick? How is EZY going to handle the pilots with that change, the training costs will be big, so will they do what B6 is doing with the 190s and only allow one or the other or will they train all on all?"

Conversion onto the Airbus has not been firmly decided yet - LGW crews will be the first to move over and that will start to happen in Spring 2004. It has not yet been made clear what the timescale for LGW becoming an all-A319 base will be.

It looks most likely that I will be doing a conversion by next Winter, unless I agree to stay on the 73G at another base for a little longer.

Ultimately of course all pilots will be A319 qualified, but this will only happen on an "as needed" basis at their particular base. The company has recieved huge concessions for conversion training onto the A319 from Airbus as part of the package so rest assured they aren't paying the going rate to covert all the boys over to the bus  Big grin

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos