Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

F4N
Topic Author

Are A318/717 Irrelevant?

Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:50 pm

To all:

With the recent selection of the first part of the Star order going entirely "RJ",
chances are that all of the orders will do the same. The question is, "are the A318/717 relevant anymore"? Can A & B really compete anymore in the 100 seat market? Should they? Will we see newer 100 seat offerings from Boeing if(when)the 717 goes down?

Thoughts and comments.

F4N

Leskova

RE: Are A318/717 Irrelevant?

Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:58 am

Actually, we'd have to include the 736 into it as well, because it has about the same size - which, as I see it, probably also already answers the question: as Boeing has something else on offer in that range, I doubt that they'll do anything else if/when they shut down the 717.

Both Airbus and Boeing are in the position of being able to offer a 100-seat version of their respective best-selling planes - both of which are not really selling like hot-cakes, but since they come from the same production lines as the rest of the respective families, I doubt that either one will take the product off the market anytime soon.

If the 713 had already been on the market from the - more or less - beginning, including a longer range version, I'd venture the guess that the 717 might have sold better...

But, I guess that that discussion can be seen as academic now...
Smile - it confuses people!

Mark_D.

Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:47 am

Embraer's seventy seater hasn't even gotten full certification yet, let alone flown for anybody in the marketplace for a while. So it's premature to give it an automatic 'slam dunk' credit for winning out over Airbus and Boeing in the hundred-seater market, especially when the E190 hasn't even been put together yet itself.

Plus the market is still depressed generally. Which seems to imperil the 717 way more than the A318 as the former has no family commonality or even derivative commonality with any other aircraft that's out there. Not to mention it's parent company is sort of struggling generally too, these days.

While the A318 -- about a half-dozen of which have been in commercial service for months already-- has a fair amount of family commonality with the already-thousands-selling A320 family, and has a parent company that is sort of on a roll these days.

So it seems one of these two is way better suited to ride out the current market doldrums than the other, at the moment anyway.

airways6max

Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:56 am

Hard to say. Star is only one alliance. There may still be other takers for the A318 and Boeing 717.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos