Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

XJFA
Topic Author

How Should FA's Serve First Class

Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:06 am

Ok, I know every FA and every airline have differnt procedures on how to do service. What do you guys think looks the most profficional/efficent?
If its just a beverage flight, I'll go though to 1-2 rows hand out tidbits take drink orders come back with drinks and do the other rows. Some fas pass out snacks to all rows come back and then take orders. Some write the orders down(which i think is tacky) some give out the whole can in First class. Others even take the bev cart out. If you sit in First class how do u like to be servied?

EA CO AS

RE: How Should FA's Serve First Class

Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:13 am

How Should FA's Serve First Class

If they're female and hot? In high heels, Daisy Dukes, and a bikini top.  Big thumbs up
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

nwa757300

Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:17 am

I follow my company's published service standards when serving either cabin. I think that taking the beverage cart out in FC is nice. I'm not running back and forth with tidbits and beverages I have all I need on the cart, keeping aisle traffic down to a minimum. I'm also visible in the aisle, which makes me more accessible and appraochable to my passengers.

Trolley Dolley

Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:32 am

Firstly don't be fooled by my pseudonym. As a regular revenue first class pax, I find the best services is where I am addressed by name, the steward or stewardess asks me how I'd like my drinks or food service (I'm not fussed if they write it down, so long as they have a way that works for them) and they realise they are there to assist my fellow passengers and I. Personally I prefer no beverage cart as it allows you to get up and about, makes the service seem more personalised.

First class heaven for me is any airline like SQ, BA, CX of QF. Most of your comments seem to be based from US carriers. (I'm based in the South Pacific) Sorry to say this but I don't feel the premium cabins on the domestic flights qualify for the term first class. At best they should be described as business class. Despite the admirable attempts by the staff working the cabins, the US airline cut backs have made the term first class a bit of a joke when compared to some economy services I've experienced elsewhere in the world.

AA7573E

Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:45 am

I am a regular first class flyer on Continental, NWA, and AA. I really like the AA service, where the FA comes to you at your seat, takes your drink order, and then comes back with the drinks and snacks on a tray. That being said, it is much easier on the FAs to do things the NWA way, and have a bar cart in the isle in First Class. Either way, I think the key is to deliver the company's First Class product with a smile and attention to detail - all of which I find on a very consistent basis on NWA, AA and Continental.
See you up front!

FLY777UAL

Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:45 am

Liquor and tray carts in premium cabins are tacky, plain and simple. Doesn't matter how much "aisle presence" it gives you or how well you can dress them up with linens, they just shouldn't be there.

When sitting in a premium cabin, the nicest way, just as Trolley Dolley said, is to be addressed by name, have them plop down some nuts, mentally write down what beverage you would like, and return with the beverages for you and your seat partner only. Much more personalized than running with a tray full of 8 full glasses for the entire section.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

LHR001

Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:51 am

In First Class.. (Assuming the topic is meant for airlines with true First Class cabins and not something similar to Delta Airlines, or Northwest Airlines U.S. domestic First Class product).. There has always been a guideline for many "high-end" airlines. A ratio is to be 1 Flight Attendant to every 4 passengers!

First Class Meal Carts should be used during all meal services. From personal experience there is nothing as exquisite as a meal presentation on a three-tier cart with china, crystal, and silver gleaming! Either on a narrow body aircraft or a wide body aircraft. For appearance linens should always be used. Fresh flowers should be present. Dishes should be warmed if there is presentation of a hot meal. Dishes should be chilled if there is presentation of a cold meal or snack.

First Class Amenities such as headsets, and magazines should always be presented on a silver tray that is lined with a crisp linen.

First Class Menus should be presented by the Purser or Lead Cabin Attendant. In addition to the presentation of the Menu the crew member must also notate any preferences as per the passenger.

First Class passengers should be asked during flight is there is anything further that they need to have arranged upon arrival at the destination.

In keeping within the First Class cabin the Flight Attendants presenting the meals should not be working in the Galley. The Flight Attendants that are serving can never appear in the passengers views to seem tired, worn out, or overwhelmed with duties!

If an aircraft is fitted with 12 First Class seats you should be welcomed and served by nothing less than 3 Flight Attendants. If an aircraft is fittesd with 20 First Class seats you should be welcomed by nothing less than 5 Flight Attedants!

Note: The deviation from the above would be on a short flight of 1 Hours 30 Minutes in which a meal service is not required!

Meals and Service should be as follows:

Flying Time-

45min- 1 Hr 30 Min

* Pre-Departure Beverage
* Pre-Departure Snack
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Beverage
* Hot or Cold Snack
* Pre-Arrival Mints

1 Hr 31 Min - 4 Hours

* Pre-Departure Beverage
* Pre-Departure Snack
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Beverage
* Hot Meal
* Coffee/Liquer
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Pre- Arrival Beverage
* Pre-Arrival Mint

4 Hours 1 Minute - 7 Hours

* Pre-Departure Beverage
* Pre-Departure Snack
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Beverage
* Hot Meal
* Coffee/Liquer
* After-Meal Mint
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Beverage
* Hot or Cold Snack
* Coffee/Tea
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Pre- Arrival Beverage
* Pre-Arrival Mint

7 Hours 1 Minute - 12 Hours

* Pre-Departure Beverage
* Pre-Departure Snack
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Beverage
* Hot Meal
* Coffee/Liquer
* After-Meal Mint
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Beverage
* Cold Snack
* Coffee/Tea
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Beverage
* Hot Meal
* Coffee/Liquer
* After-Meal Mints
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Pre- Arrival Beverage
* Pre-Arrival Mint

12 Hours 1 Minute - 16 Hours

* Pre-Departure Beverage
* Pre-Departure Snack
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Beverage
* Hot Meal
* Coffee/Liquer
* After-Meal Mint
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Beverage
* Hot or Cold Snack
* Coffee/Tea
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Beverage
* Hot Meal
* Coffee/Liquer
* After-Meal Mint
* In-Flight Hot Towels
* Pre- Arrival Beverage
* Pre-Arrival Snack
* Pre-Arrival Mint

Regards,

LHR001

[Edited 2003-12-30 02:07:10]

PiedmontGirl

Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:52 am

FLY777UAL:

I always served the F/C cabin 2x2, calling the passenger by name.

After a bit, I could remember all of the names and no longer needed the cheat sheet that I had stashed in the galley.  Smile

Two at a time makes it much more personalized and, I think, makes the passenger feel much for cared for and, if you will, connected with the airline. This, of course, should be accompanied by a smile and plenty of eye contact.

FLAIRPORT

Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:56 am

it has to do with what kind of aircraft and what kind of service it is...
If I fly 1st class on a narrowbody, I'd rather see a FA taking orders and giving out snacks, if its a widebody flight, I'd like to see a cart. This would keep one asile open and allow for faster service.

A meal service on any aircraft, in my opinion is great if the FA takes your order and hand delivers each iteam (drink included) without the cart, no matter the size of the aircraft or lenght of flight or amount of portions.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

jhooper

Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:13 am

Calling a customer by name is one of those small things that really set quality service apart from mediocre, imo.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

LHR001

Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:22 am

Yes,

Indeed it is very nice to be able to address a passenger by name... However, in some cultures ananimity is very important and for that reason you would address passengers as Sir, or Madam!

LHR001

NWAA330

Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:43 am

One key factor when being served in a F/C cabin, for me at least, is the grace and care with which food or other items are served/distributed. Many F/A's plop something down on your table and turn away before you can even say thank you. It is very important that the F/A serves with calm professionalism (appearing at ease and in control, not flustered regardless) and should ALWAYS ask WHENEVER serving something to a pax. If they can in any other way be of service. When one pays for first class one wants to be treated as though he or she matters and that's what they deserve. If a flight attendant can make a passenger feel welcome and respected then that FA has done their job. This applies to every airline, every flight, and every situation. Respect, professionalism, and care. (including of course personalized attention as mentioned above.)

NWAA330
To Fly is to Live.

Brido

Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:55 am

Maybe I'm old fashioned?....

I was always taught NO CANS in the First Class cabin.

Just one of those little touches I try and stick with...

PiedmontGirl

Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:13 pm

Brido:

Occasionally a passenger will ask for the whole can in F/C and it's delivered.

When I worked for Piedmont we used glass carafes to pour the rest of the can into and served it like that. The carafe was filled to just above the shoulder with whatever soft drink or juice the passenger was drinking. Our passengers really liked this touch -- it provided a whole "can" of something without the tackiness of actually seeing the can. What was delivered to the passenger was the glass of beverage and the carafe with the remainder of the "can" in it.

The exception to the no can rule was beer. Beer is normally ordered by brand, so the can was brought. We brought the glass and the open can on a little tray. The beer was carefully poured into the glass. The glass was set down on two napkins that were overlapped at the points, and the can placed just to the right and a little behind the glass.

You can reach the window seat if you serve by bending your knees and doing a Bunny Dip -- your arm will stretch way out there and you're not right in someone's face.

USAFHummer

Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:06 pm

On the contrary Brido, in my experiences in F, I am almost always given the full can to accompany the cup without asking...some f/a's elect to open it and pour into the cup and leave it, while others just hand the cup and can to me...either way not gonna complain about the whole can though!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

PiedmontGirl

Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:09 pm

USAFHummer:

As for the can in F/C. A lot of airlines are still teaching F/As to serve endless individually poured cups of soft drink even when it's obvious that the airplane is so thinly staffed that it is no long reasonable to think that this is going to happen.

If I were in a F/C seat, I'd far rather have the can than not.

A330Fan1

Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:21 pm

Since first class costs a lot...ok, maybe a LOT LOT LOT...the F/As should devote priceless attention to first class passengers so they truly do get their money's worth...making EACH PERSON feel as comfortable as they want...turn down service, so much food and drinks (top notch food, each dish made with priceless attention paid to it)...pajamas, toiletries, paper pen everything...any drinks, MASSAGES (normal ones, for feet or shoulders, just to ease the traveller), MANI/PEDIcures...ya...wow, now my vision of first class makes me want to fly it...but I still wouldn't fly it, b/c after I get off the plane, I'd think "wow...I just spent so much money for just 12 hrs of pleasure...NOT WORTH IT!" ...I am coach all the way  Smile

-HAPPY HOLIDAYS

-A330Fan1

worldtraveler

Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:44 pm

Most of your comments are based on the way FC has traditionally been done but probably not the way it will be done in the future. In the US and probably intra-Europe, Ted's plan to put economy plus and coach on a/c but no first is probably going to be the norm in a few years. It is costly to put dedicated flight attendants up front and there really are very few full-fare paying customers in domestic first class; it is really part of the reward program for frequent flyers and one of the few advantages that the legacy carriers have over the LCC's.

PiedmontGirl

Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:35 am

WorldTraveler:

Ted's plan to put economy plus and coach on a/c but no first is probably going to be the norm in a few years. It is costly to put dedicated flight attendants up front and there really are very few full-fare paying customers in domestic first class; it is really part of the reward program for frequent flyers and one of the few advantages that the legacy carriers have over the LCC's.

I think that economy plus (or something of the like) and coach is the way it's going to be, too. It costs a bundle of money to have F/As dedicated to working F/C only. With the Legacy Carriers operating with minimum F/A staff, both F/C and coach suffer. Very often the F/C flight attendants will end up going to coach to assist, leaving F/C just not being F/C.

Coach is so thinly staffed that there are times when the passengers must feel as if they are simply going to die of old age before anyone serves them anything or comes to remove the trash.

The way it is now neither cabin actually gets what it's supposed to get. It just doesn't.

FLAIRPORT

Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:09 am

some of these posts remind me of that sinfeld episode where he is in first and Elane in coach! He's getting pampered while Elane doesn't even get a meal!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

XJFA
Topic Author

Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:30 am

Ok, we have some fa's who won't serve FC with glass b/c they say its a safety issue. Also they will walk though the fc cabin with a trash bag picking up cups which is just tacky. I try to make sure everyone has whatever they want but after a point on a 2 hour flight and no meal i feel i'm just harrassing passangers. Whatelse could FA's do to make your travel expernce better?

Lufthansa747

Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:30 am

I find that the LH First Class service on the upper deck of the 747s is just perfect. Great food and service with nice people - "Be pampered in a friendly atmosphere" is what the menu says and that's exactly what's happening. Comments like "Mr. xyz, I see you're a senator, so you probably fly up here more than I do" and "There's plenty of time for another champagne" make you feel special in my opinion.

Calling the U.S. domestic upgrade cabin "First Class" is a disgrace.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

PiedmontGirl

Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:36 am

Lufthansa747:

Calling the U.S. domestic upgrade cabin "First Class" is a disgrace.

It is a disgrace. It barely qualifies as decent business class. It does qualify as reasonably good coach service.

I personally think it takes gall to call that First Class. At some point it simply became embarrassing in the extreme and I stopped working it.

kilavoud

Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:39 am

Human dignity is first. Do not forget it my dear Airliners.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

airjampanam

Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:48 am

PiedmontGirl..... That "Bunny Hop" reference made me smile!
 Smile
You seem to exemplify PROFESSIONALISM, you're posts always seem to be on point and give me just the information that's needed.
Its nice to see you still enjoy what you do, and that's really refreshing.
Keep up the good work.
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

AA7573E

Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:00 am

@Lufthansa747

What an enormous snob you are. You and LHR001 would make a fantastic team. I can not believe the level of arrogance your statements about first class service reflect. LHR001 is a snob who blows hot air out here, but we all know that and expect his groundless comments to pervade any thread where he feels he can get his two cents worth in. I would of expected more from our Finnish contingent.

In regards to your comment. The first class cabin on any domestic flight in the US is a far cry from the first class cabin on an international 747. Does it make any sense to you that offering the level of service, range of service and volume of service on an ORD to DFW flight that you do on a ORD to ZHR flight might be a bit - shall we say overkill? Simply put, the domestic market in the US, or any other country, does not demand and can not accommodate the level of first class service that you expect on the Lufthansa 747. The time constraints, cabin size and crew staffing simply do not permit it. Furthermore, and here is the kicker, the PAX do not expect it.

The moral of the story, is although you fly in the clouds, you should pull your head out of them. When you fly from Helsinki to the other city in Finland, your First Class service is probably no more than drinks, nuts and a warm towel, if that - same as a flight in US domestic first class. Set your expectations, and learn something about the business - you are not always going to be hand fed with silver spoons.
See you up front!

PiedmontGirl

Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:14 am

AirJamPanAm:

Hugh Hefner created the Bunny Dip to keep the Bunnies from falling out of those engineered Bunny suits. However, it works perfectly for a F/A working F/C. It looks nicer (you don't have the upper part of your body and arm pit in the face of the person on the aisle) and it's easier on your back than repeatedly bending over hundreds of times a flight. With a little practice, you can serve that way with either hand (including pouring wine) so that you don't turn your back on passengers unless you are walking away.  Smile

I'm glad to know that you find my posts to be helpful. I appreciate you telling me so.  Smile

Happy New Year!!

EZYcrew

Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:34 am

I address F or C-cl pax by name only on flights to or from Anglo-Saxons countries, or if it is a known fact that the pax in question is from the US or UK.
In many other countries, calling someone by name, that you haven't been introduced to, is plain rude.

If pax numbers are low, I bring drinks and snacks individually or by pair. On flights with higher loads, I prefer to take the cart out, as I don't have to go back and forth in the aisle all the time (this can disturb passengers a bit).

Linen on carts is a must at my airline (LX), regardless of the class and route.

No cans are to be visible in the cabin. Wines are served from big bottles, and I like to have it tasted by the pax before serving it. And if time permits I often invite the pax to a little wine tasting session, where he/she can try all or most of our winelist. And if a certain wine seems to be really appreciated, I like to offer a bottle of it, just before landing, to take away home.

And of course, I never hide in the galley after service, as some f/a's do. I keep the curtain partly open and discretely patrol the cabin every 10 minutes or so. Even on 10 hours+ flights, I keep a fresh, friendly and professional appearance, even when all I can think about is a good bed!

ramerinianair

Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:43 am

Them nor us can control what is served so:
They should administer whatever service with a SMILE and with Grace and Professionalism. You are serving the finest people(well maybe not alwyas but..) so you should treat the with your finest!

-S.R.
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

LHR001

Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:45 am

AA7573E,

From the rebuttle you have furbished it would appear as if you have not ventured or worked beyond the U.S. borders. It is very typical on Airliners to refer to people that enjoy working, or enjoying paying the extra money to fly First or Business Class as snobs... However, you seem to forget in low season when Economy tickets are going for $320.00 RT LAX-LHR that $10,500.00 is still the going rate for a First Class ticket from LAX-LHR. So do your math and figure out where the money. Also take into consideration that the First Class Cabin on most LAX-LHR flights are equipped with 18 seats. That is nearly $189,000.00 per flight! Compare that to 300 seats in Economy at $320.00 that is only $96,000.00

Simplified for you..... First and Business Class are the money makers in the international airlines! Are you trying to saying that just because a person flys First or Business class that their opinions are not welcome on this forum? Are you trying to say because a person has Global experience versus U.S. only experience that they should not reply to postings on this forum?

LHR001

PiedmontGirl

Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:54 am

RamerinianAir:

Them nor us can control what is served so:
They should administer whatever service with a SMILE and with Grace and Professionalism. You are serving the finest people(well maybe not alwyas but..) so you should treat the with your finest!

That's very true. The flight attendant has less than no control over what the airline puts in the airplane to be served, what she has to serve it with, or how much, or very much of anything else. She also has less than no control over whether or not what the carrier is doing in the front cabin deserves to be called First Class.

What she can control is how she presents herself and the service. If she is warm, gracious, and professional it will, if nothing else, make the flight much more enjoyable for both herself and her passengers.

One does the best one can with what one has to do with. There is simply nothing else to do.

airjampanam

Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:17 am

Happy New Year to you as well PiedmontGirl and all my fellow A.net members!!!
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

A330

Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:30 am

Domestic First Class is a good seat with mostly bad service in terms of catering. (except for these flights where they serve sundaes! yummy!)
Plastic cups are just an attack on good taste and should never be used in the F-cabin. (Are you listening, AA?)
Intra-European flights have normally a far superiour product in Business (First does not exist in Europe), but seating can be worse than in the US.
Best service is obviously to be expected in Asia. Luckily, I frequently fly C or F when deadheading/positioning. One of the good things of being cockpit crew! (and needed too, as we need to be rested on arrival. That is the main reason you see crew in the premium cabin. For your safety.)
Shiek!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos