Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mckennasmall
Topic Author

A.A. Passenger Arrested

Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:09 am

Got this on the news a passenger on an American Airlines flight was arrested because she would not take her seat when they were landing. She was staying right beside the cockpit bathroom. FBI got involved to not know anything further.

contrails

RE: A.A. Passenger Arrested

Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:34 am

My first reaction is that it is probably one of those passengers who needs directions to the nearest bus station.

An arrest for this doesn't surprise me. I was predicting just recently that in the not too distant future passengers who decline to obey the seat belt sign would be considered security threats. It may be happening sooner than I had thought, however.

Personally, I don't understand what is wrong with people. I've seen people get up on climb out, final approach, and in moderate turbulence. The seat belt sign doesn't seem to matter to them. The first time they injured doing this, which is a ver real possibility, maybe they'll change their attitudes.

mckennasmall
Topic Author

Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:38 am

The reason I started this thread was because it was big news on local television in Canada and this was A.A. and it was 777 from somewhere in Europe.

tcfc424

Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:50 am

What? A legacy carrier carrying passengers that belong on Greyhound? I thought all of them had been relegated to WN, at least according to some folks here that believe WN is filled with trailer trash and the like...

Just goes to show every airline carries people with either limited financial resources or limited mental capabilities. There goes the stereotypes!

EA CO AS

Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:55 am

I thought all of them had been relegated to WN, at least according to some folks here that believe WN is filled with trailer trash and the like...

A good friend of mine is a station manager for WN, and after we'd watched "Airline" the other night, I said, "Y'know, from what they showed, you'd assume WN only carried drunks and smelly white trash!"

His reply? "That IS all we carry, though!"

So there you go.  Big thumbs up

jhooper

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:15 am

An arrest for this doesn't surprise me. I was predicting just recently that in the not too distant future passengers who decline to obey the seat belt sign would be considered security threats.

It's not as much a security issue as just a safety issue. One must follow flight crew's safety instructions, or they're subject to arrest.

a340pilot

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:21 am

Contrails: I agree with you, and when they don’t do what they are supposed to do when the seat belt is lit and they fall down, they may learn there lesson, but unfortunately as soon as that PAX gets off the plane they race to the phone and call there lawyers to sue the airline for negligence, even though it was the PAX own fault! This type of thing puts a tarnish on aviation airlines today! She may not win but the lawsuit will be on the record.

Best regards,
a340pilot

PiedmontGirl

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:25 am

This woman's actions were a safety issue. It has never been legal to stand up for landing. I has been possible for decades to have people arrested for refusal to follow crew instructions. This is nothing new.

I have no idea what would possess anyone to think that kind of behavior was OK.

RiverVisualNYC

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:29 am

How soon before they automatically restrain passengers in their seats unless they raise their hand to ask permission to get up? Obviously this woman doesn't 'get' the rules, but for years they weren't really enforced, I have seen many people rush for the lav when the seatbelt sign is turned on for landing, and seldom are they told to sit back down.

tommy767

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:36 am

"I thought all of them had been relegated to WN, at least according to some folks here that believe WN is filled with trailer trash and the like..."

Couldn't agree with you more.

RiverVisualNYC

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:45 am

I think it's time the industry acknowledged that FAs have a role in security as well as safety, and one of them is making sure passengers obey the seatbelt sign, especially during sensitive parts of the flight like departure and arrival....

Mir

Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:23 am

I have seen many people rush for the lav when the seatbelt sign is turned on for landing, and seldom are they told to sit back down.

Running back to the lav is one thing. Standing outside the flight deck door is quite another, even if there is a bathroom there. What are the security officials supposed to think? This person just wasn't thinking. Hopefully she will in the future. If she doesn't get it after this, she shouldn't be flying.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos