Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146

RE: Smallest Airline Terminal

Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:54 am

There are several other small airports with regular service I have been to and they all seem to have one common thread: new, airy terminals. RDM, MFR, Pullman WA, Lewiston ID, PSC..... I don't know if they have redone the terminal at Yakima WA (YKM) Crescent City CA, Klamath Falls OR, but they had just one door leading to the plane.

GO CANUCKS!!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

yow

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:50 am

As Rattibone pointed out, most airports in Canada's far north have tiny terminals. Two others with scheduled service that I've been to north of 60 that were very small include:

YFS, Fort Simpson - The terminal is probably about 50% larger than YSR http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=159395 and
YUX, Hall Beach - This was huge in comparison to Nanisivik. http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=160049

More shameless photo plugs...lol.

Oh yeah the baggage claim at YSR is little more than a door with a hole in the wall. YFS' claim is a 10ft long set of rollers and YUX has about a 10ft long slide.

Andrew

QantasA332

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:04 am

Merced airport is probably up there with some of the others you guys have mentioned -- it's absolutely tiny! (sorry, I couldn't find a picture). Other reasonably small ones include GCN and Queenstown. Also, Hobart airport is fairly small, considering it's the state of Tasmania's capital airport...

qantasA332

POSITIVE RATE

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:00 am

Positive Rate:
CRP has a new terminal, opened in 2002, with 6 gates and 24 daily flights (American Eagle to DFW, WN to HOU, CO to IAH, and DL to ATL and DFW). They will soon have a Chili's Too and a Whataburger in the terminal, according to their website, http://www.corpuschristiairport.com. Hope that helps

Texan

Thanks for the info, much appreciated  Smile

MIA777

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:10 am

Eilat and Haifa are some of the smaller ones I have visited..
MIA777

BH346

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:13 am

Smallest airport terminal I've been was PNC (Ponca City, OK). At the time, airline service only consisted of EAS Big Sky flights. There was some seats, a TV, a Big Sky counter, and a security check to the gate area. The gate was probably just a door that leads to the ramp. There was also this Mexican restauraunt there where I ate which was pretty good. I'm not sure if it still has air service today.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

AC330

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:52 am

I was just recently in Rockland, Maine and I decided to go and see the airport. I have been to Rockland LOTS of times but never went to the airport...just saw signs for it. I knew USAirways Express has something like 3 flights a day to BOS on Beechcraft 1900's. So we drove out to the airport. There is this nice big sign as you arrive saying "Rockland Municipal Airport" and then another sign (which is TOTALLY unnecessary) that says "Passenger Terminal straight ahead". Well I almost DIED laughing. Ther 'terminal' was a modular home!!! I couldn't believe it...it was just like a little mobile home you would see in a trailor park...the 2 windows even had little shutters and there was a little sign on it that said 'USAirways Express'. I swear this is the ONE airport on the planet that would make a Beechcraft look like a BIG airplane!

AC330

acvitale

Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:23 pm

Try Walker's Cay in the Bahamas, Literally a 48sq ft. wood shack!

A Computer, Fax and BP printer that is it.

Flights from Chalks Ocean Airways Florida Coastal and Walkers International fly into it.

MxCtrlr

Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:48 pm

I vote for Elko, NV. Maybe not the smallest but damn small! Also Alexandria, LA comes in as one of the smaller terminals.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

lunchbox

Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:59 pm

Nobody has mentioned any airports with commercial service up in the frozen Alaskan tundra...

A memorable experience was flying through Iliamna,AK on our way to catch a fishing charter. Era Aviation (affiliated with Alaska Airlines) flies their Convair 580's out there a couple times a day. The terminal is about as large as a living room, with a fireplace and some moose racks hanging from the walls..

F9Fan

Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:08 pm

Ottumwa, IA (OTM I think)

The terminal was three doors, and one of them was for the luggage.

F9Fan

kbuf737

Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:13 pm

Two that come to mind are Clarksburg, WVa. CKB (a little larger than some aforementioned) and Niagara Falls, NY IAG.

The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:28 pm

The smallest terminals I've been to which have regularly scheduled daily service? It's a four-way tie between:

IPT -- Williamsport, Pennsylvania, USA
LAF -- West Lafayette, Indiana (Purdue University), USA
UCA -- Utica/Rome, New York, USA
YYG -- Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Lt-AWACS

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:06 am

Dangriga, Belize

Literally a shack, off a dirt runway but two airlines serve it. I'll try and scan a photo.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

pilottim

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:17 am

The smallest terminal I've ever been to was Golfito, Costa Rica. It was a snack bar. On one end of the runway is a mountain, at the other end is the "Jurassic Park Bar", named for the movie they shot around there. SANSA flies there.

Second smallest is Treasure Cay, Bahamas (TCB), previously mentioned.

yow

Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:46 am

Oh yeah, another small one I've visited is Skagway, Alaska. It was about the same size as YFS. It does receive sked flts, but mostly with C402s if I remember correctly.

sprxflySWA

Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:34 am

QantasA332-
I agree with Merced/MCE
First time there was Summer of '79, last was Summer of '99. Nothing changed except carpet and new Pepsi machine. Oh, and different carrier, from UA to OO.

MxCtrlr-
Are you referring to the old Elko/EKO terminal or the new one opened Sept 2001?
Either way, not too big, but adequate.

As for me, when I flew to Olympia,WA/OLM in June,1993 on Empire Airlines, the terminal literally was an old mobile home, while permanent terminal was being built. Empire quit as it was being completed. But now Big Sky utilizes its space.
HAGD

Bluewave 707

Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:37 pm

Someone mentioned Hana Airport on Maui. Other small airports in Hawa'ii are: Lana'i City (Lana'i), Kamuela (Hawai'i), and Princeville (Kaua'i).
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

Deltaflot

Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:26 pm

Visiting the terminal in Altoona, Pennsylvania is more excitement than one can handle. It has one door, one baggage carousel and the walls are painted with "Welcome" in about 50 different languages (no joke). I don't even know if Altoona is still getting service but they were once served by an Allengheny Dash 8 or a PSA Dornier 328.

Regards,
Chris

tcfc424

Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:11 pm

While not quite as small as some listed here, I am surprised no one has mentioned Minot, North Dakota MOT...for its size, it is a rather busy airport with three daily flights to MSP via NEA, all DC-9's and all packed to the gills.

The terminal building is nice and new, two stories with a gift shop and a diner. Two ticket counters (one NWA and one ex UA Express...currently abandoned) and two gates with ground-level jetways. Security is as you board and the gates each have about 20-30 seats. The ramper is the ticket agent. The baggage claim area is rather large though, with a fancy conveyor for all the military personnel to claim their worldy belongings for what promises to be the longest assignment of their military careers.

My 2 cents.

Mike S. in AUS

KLM11

Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:11 pm

CLD has one of the smallest I have ever seen. It is a total of two trailers combined and two ramps. One tiny restroom, but its plenty because it is only serviced by UA from LAX (EMB-120), and America West Express (Mesa), (DH8) from PHX. I love how short all the lines are with only three check in desks!!
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

YOW4NOW

Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:19 pm

I travelled on Bearskin Airlines a few times into Northern Ontario. If memory serves me right, Satchigo Lake had a plywood "terminal"...about the size of a Winabago. Except for maybe 2 or 3 plastic chairs, nothing really to sit on. The check-in counter was about 4 feet long. Oh yeah, the pilots loaded the luggage onto the aircraft. They didn't seem to mind any assistance from those of us travelling. Complete with one gravel runway.
Regards

Chi-town

Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:50 pm

Where is that one picture of that tiny terminal at an airport in Alaska with only one jet bridge? That only airline serving there is Alaska. I'd say thats pretty small.

Chi-town

Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:57 pm

Nevermind....I found it....Ketchikan, Alaska.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joel Camp

Here's some other interesting ones....sounds like an exciting vacation destination. hey! wheres the terminal!?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tony Solis

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tony Solis

B777337

Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:10 pm

The smallest terminals I have seen in India are at Ludhiana, Aurangabad and Udaipur.

ha763

Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:21 pm

The smallest terminal I have been in was at Hoolehua, Molokai (MKK). It was about the size of a small plantation house in Hawaii. The thing I remember the most is the baggage claim-a 12ft long stainless steel table.

rampboy77

Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:34 pm

My vote would have to goto Ely MN (LYU). Pre 9/11 they had summer seasonal service to Kenora Ont. (YQK) and Minneapolis Mn (MSP) on Mesaba. The FBO is on one wall and the check-in counter on the other. Customs was handled in a pole barn where the snow plows are kept.

yow

Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:02 am

This has been a really interesting thread. It seems like remote stations in Canada and the U.S., along with open-air shacks at tropical locations seems to be the winner. I wonder if there are any airports WITH scheduled air serivce, but do not have any building whatsoever, meaning you literally hop on board at the end of a paved/dirt/gravel/grass strip???

corocks

Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:47 pm

Smallest one I have been to is Manzini, Swaziland. It was a little smaller than a 1 car garage. When we left, they actually brought our luggage out to the plane in a Toyota Tercel. That was new for me.

syncmaster

Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:22 pm

Not the smallest I've been in (that's SBN), but one of.....

MFE in McAllen, TX, 5 or 6 gates with service from AA and CO, AA is MD-80's, but CO is MD80's, 733's, 738's, and 752's, a flight I was on out of there on an MD-80 had the whole lounge filled, I can only imagine what it's like with the 757's.

jayspilot

Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:46 pm

the smallest ones i've been to are all in the northeast.. plattsburgh ny.. saranic lake ny, and rutland vt... all one room and very tiny, amazing that they have tsa present and any passengers

tungd

Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:49 pm

In response to Ssides and Usnseallt82's posts, I am very impressed with ABI's expanded terminal (Abilene, TX). The bi-level design, jet-bridges and new conveyor-belt baggage claim system make it a "real" airport.

At this point, only 1/3 of the daily departures are on jet equipment (and only on AE to DFW), but beginning in March COEX will replace one of it's -prop round-trips to IAH with an Embraer 145.

The only other small Texas airport I have visited recently is SJT (San Angelo, TX). This is a city-owned, one-level terminal that is currently undergoing renovation, but is not being increased in size. SJT makes ABI's terminal look like a major international airport!!!!!

YOW4NOW

Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:58 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot....

Toronto Island Airport. No jet bridges. Small terminal. The baggage is offloaded onto a metal bar conveyor about 8 feet long. The 3 minute ferry ride onto the mainland is a treat as well.
Regards

TWA902fly

Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:10 pm

the smallest i have traveled through would be HUH Huahine, an island in French Polynesia. Followed by BOB Bora Bora, RFP Raitea, MOZ Moorea. there i also had the shortest flight. HUH-RFP is only 17 miles long. ATR72. was pretty fun. As for the US, Kalispell Montana FCA is the smallest airport i have been to. It's not that small though, so i cannot say much. BGR Bangor Maine is somewhere around there too maybe smaller than FCA

TWA902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

tavve

Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:43 pm

The terminal is on one floor and it even has no parking garage.

Is that unusual?
GOT, that's where I live

EGGD

Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:46 pm

Btw. EZYAirbus - LMAO, Luton? Its like the 6th biggest airport in the UK!

For me, I visited some very small airports in Iceland that had regular passenger service, I don't have any pics though (only Siglufjordur which as far as I know didn't have any regular air service at the time, maybe only private aircraft). Some of them had very small terminal buildings!!

irishmd11

Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:19 pm

Have any of you folks ever been to Aer Arann's terminal at their Connemara Regional(!) Airport base west of Spiddal, Co Galway in Ireland?

They do island "hopping", 8 minutes out to the Aran Islands.

The place is teeny weeny, the few staff seem to be "jacks of all trades", the pilot loads the bags and odds n' sods(I assume that the kegs of Guinness go by boat) into the aircraft.

No bar, and as for that famous Irish invention called Duty Free...

Sorry, no photo available, but this makes Ushuaia look like an army camp.

Gerry
ATR 72,Avro 85,BAC 1-11,Concorde,Trident,BAE146,BN Islander,707,727,737,741,743,744757,767,772,773,DC-9,DC-10,MD-11,MD-8

AirBerlin

Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:36 pm

For me it's Beef island Airport, an island right of tortola in the British virgin islands. It has service to SXM and San Juan. Also on the island of molokai in Hawaii, There are actually two small airport. The main one with service to HNL and an airstrip on a tiny peninsula cut of from the rest of the islands by mountains. It is serviced by Molokai Air Shuttle which also boasts the shotest shuttled service with a flight time of 7 min.

AL

redngold

Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:09 pm

What about Papa Westray, the terminal at the end of the world's shortest passenger flight? Anyone got a pic of that?
Up, up and away!

birdy92

Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:50 am

The smallest Terminal that I have been at is NEG (Negril, Jamaica).

Much like what others have said for small destination airports, a small shack with a scale in one corner, a bench in the other, ATC/ground ops/check-in on the other half. All said in done, the terminal is about 10' x 10'

Bill

N1120A

Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:05 am

The smallest I have seen and used is at OXR (Oxnard CA). It is only served with UAX flights (though it has recently seen Mesa Dash-8s for HP and used to see Eagle Flight Metros and Saabs) 1 counter, 1 screening position
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

floorrunner

Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:26 am

The smallest one that I have been in has been OAJ Jacksonville, NC. This was about 19 years ago and Piedmont airlines flew 737's there. At the time it was only one door for arrivals and departures and you got your luggage off of a cart that was rolled out to the sidewalk.

HBIWA

Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:07 am

What about TAG, still in 1998 a wodden hut with a disfunctional X-ray machine and a definitely not waterproof roof... No matter, the once-a-week Monday morning PR flight to MNL didn't depart at usual rain hours. Uups, just noted that TAG is now served 4x daily by 6K and PR, so maybe also the wooden hut has received some upgrading meanwhile .... ???

Probably more known than the above is maybe Singapore's 2nd airport, Seletar, which is served by a Pelangi Dash7 from Tioman once a day. Great trip !!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos