Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ScottishLaddie
Topic Author

What Do You Prefer?

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:55 am

Do you prefer flying when it is dark or when it is daylight?

I personally prefer flying during the day because everything can be seen clearer and in more detail. However, flying over big cities at night is quite a sight!

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Mir

RE: What Do You Prefer?

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:04 am

I prefer daylight except for one circumstance - when flying over a thunderstorm. The lightning against the dark sky is enough to take your breath away.

airtrainer

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:39 am

I definitively prefer daylight as I can watch for other aircrafts in the sky  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Regards

jef

BMAbound

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:15 am

It is a great feeling to be the pilot yourself in the dark. Having a lit up 8000 ft runway in front of you while approaching it in what appears to be slow motion is a lot of fun. However, as a passenger, it's just boring...  Big grin

johan

LHR340

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:32 am

I fly at both times of day and I like them both, but, I love the feeling of coming in to land and the aircraft dims the lights, you notice every movement because your senses are heightened. Same with takeoff, you notice every little movement Big grin.

LHR340

goboeing

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:37 am

I definitively prefer daylight as I can watch for other aircrafts in the sky.

It has been my experience that seeing other aircraft is much easier at night. In the daytime, there could be haze, or looking down to find traffic over a bunch of neighborhoods isn't easy, but at night, aircraft above the horizon are so easy to see.

As for the flying part, day and night each have their good and bad parts. It's fun to look at things go by in the daytime, but would I like to go down the Hudson River corridor at night next time I do it? Absolutely. The air is usually smooth at night too, another advantage. And sometimes from central Massachusetts at only 5000', I have seen New York City on a clear winter night. Visibility tends to be better. My favorite thing about night flying? Approaching a runway with an ALSF-II approach light system! It looks really awesome.

Nick

chepos

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:41 am

Daylight, you can see everything much better , but as it has been mentioned on this thread b4 flying through a city at night is breathtaking.
Chepos

KAL744

Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:27 am

Prefer daylight flights...also for the reasons already mentioned in here...just love to see the sceneries while flying over, as long as there are no clouds !

KAL744

Greg

Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:29 am

Day---I'm a nervous flyer. I like the pilots to be able to see!
Stupid reason, but true.

dc-10 levo

Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:32 am

Definitely daylight because there is much more to see, but it is a great sight when you're coming into land and you can see the city completely lit up.

DC-10

AnsettAW

Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:48 am

This will sound slightly neurotic, but my preference is starting out in the light and ending up in the dark, or vice-versa. When my schedule permits I prefer late afternoon or early evening domestic U.S. departures more than anything else. AnsettAW

ntspelich

Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:00 am

I prefer flying during the day, however, I like taxiing much, much more at night. There's just something about lining up for departure with all them lights. So, I guess I just take whatever I can get.

NS

cpharris5514

Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:47 am

Like some others I tend to prefer the daylight, but I've had some awesome scenery experiences at night, too. The one that stands out in my mind was a flight on UA from ORD-BOI, aboard a 727-200 back in the summer of 1988. It was the year of the bad (over a million acres) Yellowstone fires, and our flight path took us pretty much directly over the park. The fire against the pitch black of everything else was incredible.

oerk

Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:03 am

Transatlantic flights *usually* let you experience both. Flying USA to Europe you usually take off in dimming light, or night time in the winter, then fly into darkness, and eventually into the rising sun - usually over Ireland somewhere.

Going the other way, it appears to me like most Europe-USA flights take off in the morning or lunchtime.... and land a couple of hours 'later' in the USA, with perfect daylight all the way.

Hence, whether you like it or not, you get to enjoy both!

rockyracoon

Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:08 am

It's more fun flying during the day, but I'd usually rather spend a few extra hours at my destination and come home on a night flight.

peace

KYIPpilot

Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:16 am

Daylight for sure, because if its not cloudy you get to see all of the features below. Flying over the rockies is quite a sight!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos