Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bruspotter
Topic Author

3 Questions For Cabincrew

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:44 pm

Please put me out of my misery on the following;
1) Why do they dim the lights for takeoff and landing?
2)What does 'doors to automatic and crosscheck mean and involve?
3)Why are there always two chimes over the P/A system just before takeoff and landing?

Thanks!
I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.

Sabena 690

RE: 3 Questions For Cabincrew

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:49 pm

Because when something happens, and the lights go out, people have to get used to the dark first. Now they do the lights out before take off, so we are used to the dark before something can happen.

Frederic

artsyman

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:53 pm

Real Answer: This is to try and get a balance between the inside and outside lighting in case of emergency, people are not having to try and re-adjust their eyes to the new lighting.
Airliners.net Answer This is an evil ploy by George Bush to further inconvenience the passive air traveller for no reason other than to further his zionistic agenda.

2)What does 'doors to automatic and crosscheck mean and involve?

Real Answer: Setting the doors to automatic means that the slides will automatically deploy if you open the door at that setting. If they leave it on manual, then you can open the door without any slide deployment. Crosscheck means that once you finish arming your door, you then check your partners door and they check yours.
Airliners.net Answer This is an evil ploy by George Bush to further inconvenience the passive flight attendant for no reason other than to further his zionistic agenda.

3)Why are there always two chimes over the P/A system just before takeoff and landing?

Real Answer: This is to signal the passing through 10,000 feet. This is a signal for many different things, one of which being that all electronic equipment must now be off.
Airliners.net Answer This is an evil ploy by George Bush to further inconvenience the passive air traveller for no reason other than to further his zionistic agenda.

[Edited 2004-01-09 13:13:40]

Moolies

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:58 pm

I love your answers about the airliners.net answer.

I am a GB fan.

EKFirstClass

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:06 pm

Hi BRUspotter!

Here are the answers:
- the lights should be dimmed for a night time take off/landing for a safety reason. In case the cabin crew have (for any reason) to evacuate the aircraft they need to check the outside conditions before opening the door. It will be very hard to do that when the interior lights are on.
- "doors to automatic" means that the escape slides/ slide rafts attached to the doors must be armed. This way, in an emergency, when you open the door the escape slide / slide raft will automatically inflate. The cabin crew have to cross check the opposite door aswell.
- the chimes are actually the signals of a interphone call. Normally, before take off or before the landing the crew will inform the purser that the cabin/galleys are secured. Then the purser will inform the Captain. But the same signals will be heard during the flight everytime the interphone is used. As far as I know the chimes are different if the cockpit calls the cabin crew.
Best regards!

kilavoud

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:13 pm

Sabena 690

This I know now since I am an Airliner.

Recently I put the question before landing "Why do you think they dim the lights and they want the window-shutters to be up just right now ?" to a passenger sitting next to me on SQ.

He told me : "For better looking outside". He was surprised when I told him the exact reason and told me : It's better the passengers do not know about the reason because some would be afraid.

To be an airliner helps us to more appreciate a flight, to be more aware of some realities about security, tech. details, service, and so much more.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

airjampanam

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:50 pm

The search feature needs to REALLY promoted on this board!
This has been discussed frequently in my short time here!
 Sad
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

ACEregular

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:56 am

1. Cabin lights are dimmed to help acustom people's eyes to the light outside, should they need to evacuate in a hurry their eyes will then cope better.

2. Doors to automatic is whereby the cabin crew manually arm the escape slide so that it will activate upon opening. Usually done after the steps or airbridge have been removed. It is then crosschecked with the adjacent door and cabin crew member. Doors to manual and crosscheck will be hard once the aircraft has stopped and the engines switched off, in this case the cabin crew do the reverse of the arming procedure.

3. 2 chimes will be heard prior to take off and landing as this is normally to allow the cabin crew to communicate that the cabin in safe for take off or landing to the flight deck.

orbis

Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:32 am

May I add another question???

Why do the window shades must remain opened during take off and landing????.

I do not want to die before I find out that... (oh, and who Osama Bin Laden really is.... Smile )
we should live our lives as if we were really alive!!! H.M.

ObiThomas

Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:49 am

Why do the window shades must remain opened during take off and landing????

So that, in case of emergency evacuation, you can see if there are obstacles outside, such as fire, alligators, etc. (Not kidding about the alligators: read about an Eastern flight that crashed into the Everglades in the 1970s.)

LHR340

Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:52 am

Why do the window shades must remain opened during take off and landing????.

So that passengers/crew can see any abnormality outside, such as an engine fire.

LHR340
A340 LoVeR! EC-GQK - LHR The Bussiest International Airport & 3rd Bussiest In The World!

PiedmontGirl

Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:57 am

Orbis:

Why do the window shades must remain opened during take off and landing????

This must be something that has come along only the the last few months since I retired. I have never heard of this.

LHR340

Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:00 am

This must be something that has come along only the the last few months since I retired. I have never heard of this.

Really? Its been around a few years, when I flew in 1996 on a 767 I was quite young and was messing around and closed the blind, and the flight attendant told me to open it and explained why...

LHR340
A340 LoVeR! EC-GQK - LHR The Bussiest International Airport & 3rd Bussiest In The World!

CVGpilot

Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:03 am

"The search feature needs to REALLY promoted on this board!
This has been discussed frequently in my short time here!" BIG DEAL, iv never seen it posted before!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos