Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HNLFlyBoy

RE: HNL Rarities ...

Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:52 am

Bluewave,

I wanna get a scanner, but don't know what kind to get, etc. Can you help me out here? I assume I would get it from Radio Shack and how much should I spend. I would love to listen to the activity. That would be music to my ears!

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:54 am

Well, Radio Shack is an option, especially if you're trying to save $. They are made quite well. I've had my RS scanner since '95. It's got a few dings, but it's a trooper.

The question is ... do you want a hand-held or a desktop?

If you live within 3 - 5 miles of HNL, Tower should come in pretty well, depending how well your line-of-sight is. Within 10 miles Departure, Arrival, and Center are better, but you may only catch what the pilots are saying. An antenna booster might help.

If anyone else has more advice for HNLFB, please post it.

je89_w

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:52 pm

I'm also considering a scanner, like HNLFB. Thanks for the info Bluewave.

BTW Bluewave, did you meet Royal?

NW only has the B744s painted in the new colors, not the B742. And NW uses their B744s for the HNL-NRT route.

KE's load factor rises during the winter, from what I have noticed. But today's KE flight was a B772 (KE51). So that B744 you saw was here for another reason.

Here are some Pacific Wings shots:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Je89 W.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Je89 W.

And the CZ B73G:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Je89 W.

And the Evergreen International B741:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Je89 W.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Je89 W.

Don't want to plug to much, so click my name to see the rest. I still have more photos to upload.

je89_w

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:55 pm

Oh, thanks for the info BN747. I'll be ready for the departure on Sunday.  Smile What runway do you think the NZ A320 is arriving on? Departing? My guess is 08L for both. I just hope I wont be waiting at the wrong spot.

HNLFlyBoy

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:22 pm

Bluewave707.

thanks for the info on the scanner, I think I want a handheld one. I live in Kaimuki so I don't think I would catch much...mostly use it to listen when I am out at the end of Lagoon Drive. I was out there once and someone had one. You could see the a/c line up and then hear when he was cleared for t/o over the scanner. Then you could hear the engines wind up and see the roll, nice to know that he was clear and coming. It was really fun.

HNLFlyBoy

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:30 pm

Congratulations to our own HNL spotter Je89_w for getting his shot of this HA 717 about to touchdown at HNL viewed 243 times as of this writing and making it into the most viewed photos over the last 24-48 hours!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Je89 W.

Great shot Je89_w!

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:11 pm

Je89_W,

Congratulations on your HA pic! Nice shot! Did you take that from Bradley?

Radio Shack has a mailer out now & there some in there. Expect to pay @ least $200 for a decent one. You might also want to check out some electronics places as well.

The NW 747 was a -400. Forgot to mention that in my earlier post. The KE 744 was a 744F, when I checked it out. I didn't have time to take a pic, nor get the reg#.

I have not met Royal, he'll be in HNL later this month (check his post in the early portions of this thread).

Within 10 miles Departure, Arrival, and Center are better, but you may only catch what the pilots are saying.

You can catch the above chatter in Kaimuki. Used to live in that part of town.

je89_w

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:26 pm

Whoa, a KE B744F!  Wow! What a gem! *droolz*

je89_w

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:35 pm

NW is going to fly their B753s to HNL in July 2004 to replace the DC-10s. So we better start catching those NW DC-10s!

Sad, OAI and JAL will be the only DC-10 operators left. But then again, JAL plans to get rid of them in the near future.

je89_w

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:37 pm

Thnaks for the comments guys!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:04 am

If I heard correctly last night on my scanner this BBJ is back in town:

N171QS: belongs to NetsJets.

I'm not sure where it's parked. I heard the callsign "1QS" after landing on 4R, and it taxied onto 8L and T/W C. We all remember what happened the last time it was here.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:15 am

Well, I was half-right about the BBJ. The one that arrived last night was N191QS. It is identical to N171QS. So apparently it's owned by NetsJets.

I just got off the phone with the HNL Manager's office. The operator there said it is AGAINST the law to take any photo of any aircraft on airport property, EVEN from the terminal. So beware & be careful. I called back to verify if it was an airport rule, or state law. The operator said that it is an FAA law at any airport. I will do further research with the state DOT and FAA websites, and let you all know the results.

I saw a guy get stopped by Akal (truck #39 - same guy that stopped me two years back) taking a pic of an HA 763 taxiing back to the gate from 8R, due to an engine bleed warning light. When I saw the truck, I walked back to my car and left. I'm already on record with Akal. Felt sorry for the guy, but ...

Okay, this is my 2¢ about this ... taking pix from the terminal ... there should be gigantic signs around the terminals and gates warning us of this "law-breaking activity". What the heck! Who doesn't take a photo of the plane they are going to ride on. I have never been stopped, nor have I seen anyone get stopped by law enforcement (or facsimile of) taking a pic from the terminal or gate. Seems like paranoia to me. I can understand around the perimeter, but come on there has got to be some common sense applied here.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:00 pm

Checked the FAA site, and under Part 107

"Persons loitering for extended periods in the vicinity of parked aircraft, or in air operations areas."

Gee, I guess that covers us spotters at the Gen Av lot? It had nothing to say about taking photos. If they want to nail us it would be for loitering.

As I said, watch out for truck #39. 'Nuff said.

hawaiian717

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:02 pm

Bluewave 707 wrote:
The operator said that it is an FAA law at any airport.

Wrong. If you (or anyone else) contact them again ask them to be specific about where this law can be found.

Okay, this is my 2¢ about this ... taking pix from the terminal ... there should be gigantic signs around the terminals and gates warning us of this "law-breaking activity".

They can't put up those signs, because it's not illegal. Certainly not an FAA rule. And what about all the tourists taking pictures of themselves from the breezeway with their aircraft behind them?

Think here... if taking photos of airplanes on airport property were illegal, this site wouldn't be able to exist, and we'd all be in jail. I've had airport police drive by while I'm taking photos at various airports (including OGG) and never had problems. I even got in touch with the San Diego Port Authority Police shortly after 9/11, and the response from them was that they had no problem with photos being taken.

Bluewave, I hope you don't mind, I'm forwarding part of your post to the SkyOne mailing list, where I know others have dealt with this sort of nonsense before. Hopefully they'll come in with more support of our position.

David / MRY

HNLFlyBoy

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:06 pm

Strange, you can't take pics of the a/c, but you can buy a scanner and listen to all of the radio activity.....something is not right here. Further investigation into the matter is deemed necessary if our site is to exist. Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines!

HNLFlyBoy

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:17 pm

Bluewave707,

what a trend you started with the ___ rarities.... The lastest one I just saw is HOUSTON SUPERBOWL RARITIES. Do a forum search folks, it's there and interesting, but not like ours....HNL ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

je89_w

Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:14 pm

There were signs saying "No photography" all over the terminal back in June 2002. But I didn't see those signs when I went to the terminal in July 2003.

je89_w

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:34 pm

There is also "Rarities at ANC." I'm sure there are a lot of interesting stuff that pass there.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:14 pm

I must not have seen those signs, because in March 02, My then-wife and I took our kids to LAX for a Disneyland trip. I videotaped the UA 772 (N211UA) we were to ride on as it sat at the gate, while we were waiting at the concession. And did the same @ LAX for the 763 (N669UA) we rode back on. No hassles from anyone in either airport.

Since then I myself have been on 3 trips 1 to KOA, no problems; 1 to PDX via SEA, none again, and 1 to LAX, no problems. In fact, I walked the whole HNL terminal on the LAX trip, snapping photos. Walked past HSD deputies, and Akal, no one stopped me, more like they didn't care.

I'll try calling the FAA tomorrow and see what they say, and how I can get a written/printed copy saying it's okay to take pix, at least from the terminal.

I just don't like encounters with "badge flashers with a power complex"-types. Some of these Akal guards tend to take their job a bit too seriously. Yes, they have a responsiblity to protect the airport, but there are ways to handle a situation. The time I got approached by Akal (see the "A 727 & 2 737s ..." thread of the incident), I failed to mention that the guard walked toward me with his hand on his service pistol. Come on! I had my scanner in one hand, and a cigarette in the other. What was I going to do? Throw my cigarette at him through the chainlink fence? This is the guy in truck 39.

I know the HSD deputies have cruised by the Gen Av lot, and not stopped. They looked at us, but kept on going.

Sorry for the discourse. In this case does FAA regs override state laws?

The ANC thread sounds like they'll have some interesting posts and pix. Some of the photos from there, on the site are quite unique. Well, every airport does have it's rarities, some more than others. It's just that, who's going to report it? It's nice to see that I've done something that has been duplicated. I feel honored to have started a trend, but I give all the glory to God.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:48 am

Called the FAA, and am waiting for an official response from them, and I will post the info when I receive it.

Went out to HNL today, the only thing special was an Atlas 744F out by Gate 6.

HNLFlyBoy

Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:50 am

Hey guys, this isn't a HNL shot, (it's actually PDX) but it is a HA a/c and I wanted to share it with you all because I really enjoy when a pilot does this.

Caption of the photo reads, "This pilot hit the power and the engines spooled up to takeoff thrust while still turning onto the runway"

AQ and HA pilots do this alot as I have experienced going inter-island with the two carriers. I love that feeling and sound, all that power starting to happen and not quite fully lined up for their t/o roll yet!

HNLFlyBoy

Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:52 am

sorry guys, let's try to post the pic again...

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Martin

This goes with reply #270. My bad, still new at the F Class travel, errr, membership thing

jupiter2

Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:16 am

In SYD today we had the AC 763 and the 340 in the different Star Alliance liveries. Of course this means that they both passed through and are currently returning to HNL.
RL

ha763

Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:24 pm

Actually, HA does this as much as possible. All my transpac HA flights out of HNL have rolling takeoffs. Not so much interisland because many times they have to wait for 8L to clear of landing traffic.

HNLFlyBoy

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:58 pm

Bluewave707,

Please note reply 272...from Jupiter2 in SYD. Looks like your thread is now getting international attention...

je89_w

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:06 pm

The HSD deputies and AKAL give me a lot of trouble. The HSD deputy sees me with my camera, turns on his cop lights, and . . . ahem . . . yeah.  Angry

kalakaua

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:46 pm

Hey Jerrold,

Have you considered joining the AQ Basic Explorers Program? Once you're 16-21 y/o, you'll have the opportunity to explore the airline industry with Aloha Airlines. They'll give you tours of the operations that make AQ work (i.e. Meet Glen Zander, CSA, ramp/commisary, maintenance, reservations, pilots & flight attendants, touring a/cs etc...) and once you graduate this 9-10 week program (one meeting per week), you'll have the opportunity to visit things outside of AQ through AQ Advanced Explorers. We've toured Omni's DC-10(AQ Contract Services), Hawaii Air Nat'l Guard, Air Ambulence, George's Aviation, the Control Tower!!!, UAL F/A center & Reservations, even Hawaiian Airlines! etc... The students do the planning! The AQ Explorers also do community service. Take all the pictures you want up close!!! This program is very very much hands-on. You'll even get the chance to do boarding announcement and throw baggages if you want! You don't have to worry about AKAL, 'cause you'll get a Temporary AOA Badge!!! Woohoo!!!

-Kalakaua
http://www.pbase.com/aqexplorers

je89_w

Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:23 pm

Heard of that program, and it sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for the info!

BTW, nice gallery.  Big thumbs up

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:26 pm

You know with the NZ A320 arriving on Saturday, I wonder if "security" will be patrolling the area more than usual?

One thing I forgot to mention, the person @ the FAA said that there are some state rules that are not governed by the FAA, and that's what HSD and Akal may be going after. I still have not received a reply from the FAA, and I will make a follow-up call tomorrow. I have to admit this person was friendly, and she herself did not know the rules, and will check with those who are familiar with it.

Another point to make, is that, if there is a federal reg against loitering, then how is it that people can go sit in their cars and eat lunch at the GenAv lots? Or how about the guys that park their cars to fishing in Ke'ehi Lagoon? They could be suspects gathering info, and yet I have seen both Akal and HSD drive right past them without stopping. I think the key word here is CONSISTENCY.

I took a look @ the Hawaii DOT site, and came up with this pdf tidbit of info ... here's the link, check it out. If I understand this corrcetly, this is not about terrorism, but $$$. They think we spotters are going to make mega-bucks @ their expense, (read commercial intent / venture) and they not get a cut.

http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/airports/adminrules/14-PublicConduct.pdf

Yeah, right! My photos are for myself and my fellow Original HNL Spotter. (He knows who he is.) Whatever I would post, I would never want to sell them. It's for other's to enjoy too.

[Edited 2004-02-06 10:57:06]

HNLFlyBoy

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:41 am

Bluewave,

Leave it to our wonderful state of Hawaii to penalize people for trying to enjoy their hobby of spotting aircraft. I want to say it's hard to believe they would actually think the pics would be used for commercial purposes as airlines would not send an amateur, and I use the word amateur in a broad sense so don't take it the wrong way, to take pics of their a/c for advertising/marketing purposes. Has anyone at the state seen the pics that airlines use for ad/marketing purposes? I am sure that you yourself have taken pics of the quality that can be used for that type of purpose, but I have never heard you saying on here, "oh, that's a great shot, I think I can get $1,000 for it if I sell it to ______."

The state possess just a bunch of bureaucratic ______'s IMHO who can't seem to enjoy life as we know it. Leave us spotters and fans at HNL ALONE! And picking on Jerrold....give me a break. Lights and all? Where the heck was he? He's a teen who loves airplanes and so was I once. I still love planes obviously, but can't claim the teen part anymore.  Laugh out loud

What about all those guys that sit on the hill in El Segundo at LAX and snap shots all day long along Imperial Hwy? Ok, they are across the street from the airport, but the runway is literally right there. AKAL would have a field day! Of course, they have to find something to do....right?

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:11 am

As far as the LAX part goes, Imperial Hill is outside the jurisdiction of LAWA. If there was a similar location here, Akal wouldn't be able to do squat, since they only have jurisdiction INSIDE the perimeter, and on "airport" property.outside the fence. HSD or HPD would be the agency involved depending if it's state or county land.

Yes, some law enforcement officers, deputies, and wanna-be's can be overzealous in doing their job, but it all depends how they handle the situation. Approaching someone who is holding a camera, with their hand on their pistol, but not out of the holster, is probably being overcautious. Especially, if the person does not fit the racial stereotype. Let's face it, any law officer that says there is no type of profiling for any criminal activity is not telling you the truth.

SlamClick

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:26 am

JAL making a missed approach!

Maybe you saw the movie?

"TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!"

Years ago one of my older brothers was building a house over there. He was standing on the roof one morning and heard many piston engines. He looked up and here came a swarm of Japanese torpedo bombers! He thought he was in the Twilight Zone. Turns out they were filming "Tora! Tora! Tora" nearby.

ha763

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:24 am

I finally got to see 8906 in person today. It was parked at Gate 25, but since I wasn't expecting to drive on the ramp today, I didn't have my camera. I'm so disappointed since I could have gotten a nice picture of it. The sun would have been behind me, the rear cargo door was closed leaving the DC-6 decal free of obstructions. Sad

T prop

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:49 am

Orbis DC-10 when it was at HNL this month.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Georg S.

That's a rare visitor to Honolulu, has it ever been there before?

T prop.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:30 pm

Still have not heard from the FAA ...

Was @ HNL around 1030, nothing special, but here's what I saw ...

8L was closed with a giant lit "X" @ the departure end. 8L re-opened around 1145.

AQ's N805AL was doing a run-up on T/W RA.

• A Global Express (?) with the Indianapolis Colts logo on the tail, parked behind the Anderson Aviation building.

JAL making a missed approach!

Maybe you saw the movie?

"TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!"

As an AMERICAN of Japanese ancestry, I am not amused.

Jet-A gasguy

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:28 pm

Confused

Hmmm.....didn't see the movie. I always thought TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! meant Take Off Go Around, and was what a pilot would call for in the event of a go around.(or JAL's missed approach in this case)

Blue, what are you offended about? Am I missing something here?

J-AGG

clipperhawaii

Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:17 pm

A "HNL Rarities Blast From the Past"

View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King

Remember that Bluewave?

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:23 pm

Oh, I misunderstood TOGA. I wasn't offended, I didn't find it amusing @ the time. Never mind.
Please disregard my comments in the previous post. I did not get the remark, I thought it was a satire of Tora Tora Tora.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:30 pm

Clipperhawaii,

I remember that well.  Smile Don't you have some AirSiam stuff in your collection?

je89_w

Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Do you think the NZ A320 will leave on 08L? I'll be at Circle Rainbow to catch its departure.

So all planes landed on runway 04R this morning? Wish I was there to see the heavies touching down!

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:38 pm

Hey Clipperhawaii,

Remember these oldies but goodies?

View Large View Medium

Photo © George Gayuski
View Large View Medium

Photo © Derek Lepper

When AQ leased a WN 732  Smile

And...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Marc Dease
View Large View Medium

Photo © John P. Stewart

Couldn't find an AQ/EP hybrid, and the photo I have did not come out well.
How about the original flower livery?

HNLFlyBoy

Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:09 pm

Bluewave....

that pic of the AQ on very short final into OGG...they use that same approach now don't they? I think I have been driving on that road and been "buzzed" before by a landing plane. At least it was only an AQ 732 and nothing like what could have been, a UA 757 or an AA 763...That would have been a "buzz"...

Jet-A gasguy

Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:26 am

I have been on OGG's perimiter road often and have been buzzed many times. My favorite was a UA 777 which was lower than usual. I swear, there were tire marks on the roof of my truck!  Wink/being sarcastic

J-AGG

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:53 am

Hey guys, I won't be able to see an NZ A320, again.  Sad

I hope Je89_W gets a few good shots of it.
By the way, Je89_W, can you tell us about your encounters with Akal and HSD?

Just be careful out there.  Smile

clipperhawaii

Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:02 am

Bluewave, I have an Air Siam timetable. I still remember their commercials on T.V.

Another "HNL Rarities Blast From The Past"

View Large View Medium

Photo © Howard Chaloner

I never did get a photo of that aircraft.

HNLFlyBoy

Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:37 am

Ok guys, with that last reply, I think Clipperhawaii wins the HNL rarities photo award....a UA stars and stripes 732, still with UA on the tail and AQ on the fuselage. WOW!!!!!!!!!

J-AGG, let me share with you something....I used to work at Ala Moana Shopping Center and one Saturday morning, it was really overcast and very low, dense clouds over AM park....I heard what sounded like an a/c, but wasn't sure...Kona's blowing, so approach was to the West...anyway, I looked up and a UA 744 breaking the clouds and I guess he realized he was too low so I see him tip his nose up a bit and give her some gas to climb a bit....I could see and hear this all...I almost pee'd my pants it was so beautiful!!!!

je89_w

Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:51 am

HNLFB, on January 4, 2003 at 06:55, a CI B744 landed on runway 26R. It weaved through buildings near Waikiki, the Pan Am building, my condominium, and downtown, before heading for 26R.  Wow! I heard a loud aircraft sound, for sure not a military aircraft, that early morning in my sleep! What really puzzles me is when the ATC didn't catch that. How could they give clearance for a B747-400 to land on runway 26R? Or did the CI B744 arrive on runway 26R without clearance??  Nuts

NZ6390 from LAX is confirmed, and its arrival time will be around 15:46. Info from FC.

I've never really ran into the AKAL people. However, I've ran into the HSD deputies several times.

One morning, was sitting on my car with my camera, and the Sheriff comes, turns on his lights to intimidate me, and asks me to get off. I get off and he asks me questions, and takes down info. He then says you can't take photos from there and asked me to go.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:24 pm

We've got the AQ hybrids covered. Thanks, Clipperhawaii for the AQ/UA 732.

I found this HA MD-80 hybrid ...  Smile

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

We're pulling out some REAL rarities from the vault.  Big grin

Did anyone get pix of the NZ A320?

HNLFlyBoy

Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:17 pm

Je89_w....another CI incident....? Anybody remember the CI captain that "buzzed" the city on his Kona's approach? He was like 1100 FEET above some of the buildings downtown and actually was as far inland as Beretania, nearly hit Century Center. WTH was this guy thinking? Where was HNL Approach thinking? Apparently, his actions were "legal". He obviously didn't know this approach into HNL as it is suppose to take place "over" the water, hugging coast before that beautiful turn to line up with the Reef Runway about Keehi Lagoon. I can't remember when this happened, but they printed his approach pattern in the newspaper...I keep saying "him" and "his"....it was a guy that is confirmed, but it sure sounds like a woman driver to me....(HNLFB is ducking right now.....)

ha763

Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:38 pm

HNLFlyboy,

You are describing the exact CI same incident as Je89.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos