Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

RE: HNL Rarities ...

Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:20 am

Here's another 707 @ HNL ... and a classic & timeless livery.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © J Allen King

Royal, your dad taught you well in your photo skills. His HNL photos bring back a lot of memories. Enjoy your trip here. Hope there are Kona wind days while you're here.  Smile

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:55 pm

Went out to HNL around 1730 ... the Jatayu 722 was still @ Century.

PLUS! The NetsJets BBJ, N191QS, is back in town, and a Heavy Lift 721F (9L-LEK). Both jets were parked diagonally @ Bradley. You can get a better view/photo of N191QS from the WP parking lot. 9L-... is the reg prefix for Sierra Leone.

I always thought Heavy Lift had only 707/DC-8 size & larger types in their fleet. I have seen a Shorts Belfast, and an AN-124 (W/ Volga-Dnepr markings)

Will take a drive out there tomorrow.

As of 1920
Just checked FC, and speaking of An-124s, a Volga-Dnepr "Ruslan" landed @ 1744. Darn I just missed it! It was listed as VDA5635 from Mountain View, CA (NUQ). The SR is going to be crowded, unless it's by UA Cargo. Now there's a reason to get there!

[Edited 2004-02-21 06:25:20]

clipperhawaii

Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:43 pm

Today's "HNL Rarities Commuter Blast From the Past"

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

It was on a similar Royal Hawaiian C402 that Charles Lindbergh flew his final flight.

After arriving in HNL on a United 747, Lindbergh then transferred to a C402 to Hana, Maui HNM. A week later he was dead of cancer and was buried in a simple pinewood casket in Kipahulu.

His grave site is hard to find but for those of us who have flown in the "Lone Eagles" shadow, it is truly an experience to visit his grave.

Hawaii, and Maui are honored to have Charles Lindbergh choose his final resting place in the islands we all love.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:24 am

Charles Lindbergh ... there was a man with a dream and vision, who achieved what he set out to do. Did he encounter failure? Yes, but he kept on going, until he achieved his dream and vision. The best thing was he proved what most people (dream-stealers) said what couldn't be done, non-stop Atlantic flight. Lucky Lindy was consistent and persistent in achieving his dream and vision, and proved the nay-sayers wrong.

If it wasn't for Lindbergh, who knows how long it would have took to cross the Atlantic. He led the way for long distance transocean flights. What if Lindy listened to the dream-stealers?

Look what has occurred recently with SQ and their SIN-LAX flight with the A340-500. Charles Lindbergh shrank the globe with one flight across the Atlantic Ocean. Boeing announced a 9,000+ nm range version of the 777-200, called the LR, which makes it 1st flight in late 2005. That will make more non-stop flights between very long distances. All because one man had a dream and a vision, everyone benefits.

That's what my tag line on the bottom of my posts means. What is your dream? Is it as big of a dream as Lindbergh? What are you willing to do to achieve your dream? That's what I do, is help people achieve their dreams. There is nothing like watching someone achieve their dream and vision.

je89_w

Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:49 am

Went out this morning at 08:00, the 2 B727s were gone. I think they left last night or this morning. I also saw both of them at 17:30 on Friday. The B737 was still there.

Caught Volga-Dnepr An-124 departing on 08R this morning.

HNLFlyBoy

Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:40 am

Does anyone know about a HA flight that comes into HNL around 7:30am? Not sure if it is the PPT flt or the PPG flt...both of those according to the HA timetable are early morning arrivals. I saw a HA 763 over my house this morning on descent into HNL and was just wondering, since that's way to early for the West Coast flights to start to arrive.

hawaiian717

Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:05 am

Per schedules, the PPG-HNL flight (HA 466) arrives Tuesdays and Saturdays at 5:25am. The PPT-HNL flight (HA 482) arrives Sundays at 6:35am.

Looking at FlyteComm, I'm guessing you saw HA 939 from ANC, which arrived at 7:01am. The PPG flight arrived at 5:07am.

David / MRY

HNLFlyBoy

Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:09 am

David,

This is a charter flight I'm guessing. Right?

hawaiian717

Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:21 am

Yes, the ANC flights are charters.

David / MRY

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:44 pm

Went out to HNL around 1100, there was nothing much to look @. Shucks, I missed the An-124 depart, that was around the time I got up.

Though there was a DL 767 in the intermediate colors in between two in the new colors. I suppose that's a bit of a rarity.

Can't wait to see the new UA livery in HNL.

HNLFlyBoy

Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:55 pm

I was thinking about this and thought this is certainly a rarity now...Anybody remember the UA 747-100 "Justin Dart"? It used to be a regular visitor to HNL, think it did the LAX-HNL-LAX run in the 80's. I flew on it many times. I miss the 747's to and from the West Coast...another, "Gone but not forgotten" memory from the past.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Sparkman

Anybody know who Justin Dart is/was?

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:27 am

Has anyone seen the latest ...

AMS Rarities is the newest "___Rarities" to appear on the CA Forum.

Duplication works.

HNLFlyBoy

Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:12 am

Bluewave,

You beat me to it and yes, I did see it and meant to post it here. You should be proud of the trend you started....I am surprised we haven't seen more "___Rarities" threads being started as I am sure everyone gets their fair share coming through.

HNL is still the best!

"At home....in the middle of the sea."

clipperhawaii

Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:54 am

Justin Dart was a director of United Airlines and was the president of Dart Industries.

N4714U "Justin Dart" was a regular on the HNL-ORD run and was seen by many people at HNL and the question would always be heard at the gate, "Who is Justin Dart?"

Here is a brief lengthy bio of a great American.

Justin Dart, Jr., was born on August 29, 1930, into a wealthy and prominent family. His grandfather was the founder of the Walgreen Drugstore chain, his father a successful business executive, his mother a matron of the American avant garde. Dart would later describe how he became "a super loser" as a way of establishing his own identity in this family of "super winners." He attended seven high schools, not graduating from any of them, and broke Humphrey Bogart's all-time record for the number of demerits earned by a student at elite Andover prep. "People didn't like me. I didn't like myself."

Dart contracted polio in 1948. With doctors saying he had less than three days to live, he was admitted into the Seventh Day Adventist Medical University in Los Angeles. "For the first time in my life I was surrounded by people who were openly expressing love for each other, and for me, even though I was hostile to them. And so I started smiling at people, and saying nice things to them. And they responded, treating me even better. It felt so good!"

Three days turned into forty years, but Dart never forgot this lesson. Polio left Dart a wheelchair user, but he never grieved about this. "I count the good days in my life from the time I got polio. These beautiful people not only saved my life, they made it worth saving."

Another turning point was Dart's discovery in 1949 of the philosophy of Indas K. Gandhi. Dart defined Gandhi's message as, "Find your own truth, and then live it." This theme too would stay with him for the rest of his life. Dart attended the University of Houston from 1951 to 1954, earning his bachelor's and master's degrees in political science and history. He wanted to be a teacher, but the university withheld his teaching certificate because he was a wheelchair user. During his time in college, Dart organized his first human rights group -- a pro-integration student group at what was then a whites-only institution.

Dart went into business in 1956, building several successful companies in Mexico and Japan. He started Japan Tupperware with three employees in 1963, and by 1965 it had expanded to some 25,000. Dart used his businesses to provide work for women and people with disabilities. In Japan, for example, he took severely disabled people out of institutions, gave them paying jobs within his company, and organized some of them into Japan's first wheelchair basketball team. It was during this time he met his wife, Yoshiko.

The final turning point in Dart's life came during a visit to Vietnam in 1966, to investigate the status of rehabilitation in that war-torn country. Visiting a "rehabilitation center" for children with polio, Dart instead found squalid conditions where disabled children were left on concrete floors to starve. One child, a young girl dying there before him, took his hand and looked into his eyes. "That scene," he would later write, "is burned forever in my soul. For the first time in my life I understood the reality of evil, and that I was a part of that reality."

The Darts returned to Japan, but terminated their business interests. After a period of meditation in a dilapidated farmhouse, the two decided to dedicate themselves entirely to the cause of human and disability rights. They moved to Texas in 1974, and immersed themselves in local disability activism. From 1980 to 1985, Dart was a member, and then chair, of the Texas Governor's Committee for Persons with Disabilities. His work in Texas became a pattern for what was to follow: extensive meetings with the grassroots, followed by a call for the radical empowerment of people with disabilities, followed by tireless advocacy until victory was won.

In 1981, President Ronald Reagan appointed Dart to be the vice-chair of the National Council on Disability. The Darts embarked on a nationwide tour, at their own expense, meeting with activists in every state. Dart and others on the Council drafted a national policy that called for national civil rights legislation to end the centuries old discrimination of people with disabilities -- what would eventually become the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

In 1986, Dart was appointed to head the Rehabilitation Services Administration, a $3 billion federal agency that oversees a vast array of programs for disabled people. Dart called for radical changes, and for including people with disabilities in every aspect of designing, implementing, and monitoring rehabilitation programs. Resisted by the bureaucracy, Dart dropped a bombshell when he testified at a public hearing before Congress that the RSA was "a vast, inflexible federal system which, like the society it represents, still contains a significant portion of individuals who have not yet overcome obsolete, paternalistic attitudes about disability." Dart was asked to resign his position, but remained a supporter of both Presidents Reagan and Bush. In 1989, Dart was appointed chair of the President's Committee on the Employment of People with Disabilities, shifting its focus from its traditional stance of urging business to "hire the handicapped" to advocating for full civil rights for people with disabilities.

Dart is best known for his work in passing the Americans with Disabilities Act. In 1988, he was appointed, along with parents' advocate Elizabeth Boggs, to chair the Congressional Task Force on the Rights and Empowerment of Americans with Disabilities. The Darts again toured the country at their own expense, visiting every state, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the District of Columbia, holding public forums attended by more than 30,000 people. Everywhere he went, Dart touted the ADA as "the civil rights act of the future." Dart also met extensively with members of Congress and staff, as well as President Bush, Vice President Quayle, and members of the Cabinet. At one point, seeing Dart at a White House reception, President Bush introduced him as "the ADA man." The ADA was signed into law on July 26, 1990, an anniversary that is celebrated each year by "disability pride" events all across the country.

While taking pride in passage of the ADA, Dart was always quick to list all the others who shared in the struggle: Robert Silverstein and Robert Burgdorf, Patrisha Wright and Tony Coelho, Fred Fay and Judith Heumann, among many others. And Dart never wavered in his commitment to disability solidarity, insisting that all people with disabilities be protected by the law and included in the coalition to pass it -- including mentally ill "psychiatric survivors" and people with HIV/AIDS. Dart called this his "politics of inclusion," a companion to his "politics of principle, solidarity, and love."

After passage of the ADA, Dart threw his energy into the fight for universal health care, again campaigning across the country, and often speaking from the same podium as President and Mrs. Clinton. With the defeat of universal health care, Dart was among the first to identify the coming backlash against disability rights. He resigned all his positions to become "a full-time citizen soldier in the trenches of justice." With the conservative Republican victory in Congress in 1994, followed by calls to amend or even repeal the ADA and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (or IDEA), Dart, and disability rights advocates Becky Ogle and Frederick Fay, founded Justice for All, what Dart called "a SWAT team" to beat back these attacks. Again, Dart was tireless -- traveling, speaking, testifying, holding conference calls, presiding over meetings, calling the media on its distortions of the ADA, and flooding the country with American flag stickers that said, "ADA, IDEA, America Wins." Both laws were saved.

Dart again placed the credit with "the thousands of grassroots patriots" who wrote and e-mailed and lobbied. But there can be no doubt that without Dart's leadership, the outcome might have been entirely different.

In 1996, confronted by a Republican Party calling for "a retreat from Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln democracy," Dart campaigned for the re-election of President Clinton. This was a personally difficult "decision of conscience." Dart had been a Republican for most of his life, and had organized the disability constituency campaigns of both Ronald Reagan and George Bush, campaigning against Clinton in 1992. But in a turnabout that was reported in the New York Times and the Washington Post, Dart went all out for Clinton, even speaking at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago. The Darts yet again undertook a whirlwind tour of the country, telling people to "get into politics as if your life depended on it. It does." At his speech the day after the election, President Clinton publicly thanked Dart for personally campaigning in all fifty states, and cited his efforts as "one reason we won some of those states."

Dart suffered a series of heart attacks in late 1997, which curtailed his ability to travel. He continued, however, to lobby for the rights of people with disabilities, and attended numerous events, rallies, demonstrations and public hearings. Toward the end of his life, Dart was hard at work on a political manifesto that would outline his vision of "the revolution of empowerment." In its conclusion, he urged his "Beloved colleagues in struggle, listen to the heart of this old soldier. Our lives, our children's lives, the quality of the lives of billions in future generations hangs in the balance. I cry out to you from the depths of my being. Humanity needs you! Lead! Lead! Lead the revolution of empowerment!"

Today, disabled people across the country and around the world will grieve at the passing of Justin Dart, Jr. But we will celebrate his love and his commitment to justice.

Justin Dart died June 22, 2002

It is always nice to know more about the name that is on "some 747".

Click here to see Justin Dart

http://abilitymagazine.com/images/Head-shot-Justin.jpg

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:49 pm

Another "___ Rarities" thread has popped up! This time it's from FLL/MIA. Add that to ANC, AMS, ORD, YVR, and others I cannot seem to recall (sorry!). It surprises me that those airports has some rare birds pass through, yet their threads don't last as long as this one has. Maybe we're blessed, and there is a core group who report in.

The winds changed to Kona's this afternoon. I saw a CO 764 on final driving home. I grabbed my scanner & camera, and went to HNL. I apologize for not posting this info sooner. However, there was nothing note-worthy. Did manage to get a TZ753 taxiing on RT to 26L. Another DL in the second colors was in, but did not depart while I was there. The winds / traffic returned to normal around 1700.

Here would be a DL & HNL rarity ... three 767s in the gates, one of each livery!

I wonder how long before we see the new UA livery @ HNL?

I knew UA used to name their 747s after members of their Board of Directors. A big mahalo to Clipperhawaii for that in-depth bio of Justin Dart, and the legacy he left outside the airline industry. The disabled people of the US owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Dart for the trail he blazed for the rights of the disabled, and the lives he impacted during his journey.

As with Charles Lindbergh, Justin Dart got a dream and a vision, and pursued it until he achieved it. People gave him crap, but he just shook it off and stepped up. They knew that someone had to do what they did, and they made their decision, stuck to it, and did whatever it took to get it done. And left an indelible legacy after their passing.

HNLFlyBoy

Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:38 pm

Bluewave,

I didn't know that about the UA 747's being named after members of their Board of Directors...you learn something new everyday...

Aloha,

HNLFB

PS Kona's didn't last long today  Sad

je89_w

Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:29 pm

The konas were pretty short this afternoon. At around 12 noon, saw the B-1B take off from my condo. Pretty cool.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:25 pm

I've got some time this week to check out HNL. Nothing out of the ordinary was listed on FC. Of course, there's always something that'll pass through that IS NOT listed on FC.

By the way, the TZ 753 had the "Pleasant Holidays" titles behind the ATA fuselage logo.

Over 13,000 hits on this thread!

Checked out the "FLL/MIA Rarities", they had some pretty interesting birds pass through. They are the gateway to Central & South America. Just look at some the stuff on the db from that part of the country.

DC3CV3407AC727

Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:09 pm

This thread rocks, I am a mainlander,I have only passed thru HNL once as previously mentioned in '91 on a DC3 ferry trip,but I love the enthusiasm and all the arcana displayed here. I would love to see a thread like this for JFK,LGA,EWR ! God bless!

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:45 am

DC3CV3407AC727,

Please, be the one to start a NYC area thread. There are definitely rare birds that pss through all 3 major NYC airports. Someone needs to step up and start it. Tag you're it! Go for it, people will thank you for it.

Add LAX to the list! It's called "Oddballs @ LAX". Keep it going!

clipperhawaii

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 am

Speaking of UAL board members names appearing on aircraft. I am aware only of three.

Edward E. Carlson
Justin Dart
Gardner Cowels

William A. Patterson was of course the founder of United. And of course Patterson was born right here in Hawaii in Waipahu. A Boeing Statocruiser was named Mainliner Waipahu.

HNLFlyBoy

Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:18 pm

I flew on UA 747, Justin Dart and William A. Patterson. I remember looking out the windows at the gate and seeing the name on the side of the 747. I could hardly wait to get on board. All I could think before boarding was, what a beautiful thing, and you are going to take me across the ocean.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:51 pm

Managed to get out to HNL twice today, but nothing rare, except for a bunch F-15s and F-16s. We'll see how tomorrow fares.

je89_w

Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:42 pm

I think it is rare having a B757 taxi RT to runway 26L, they usually always go on runway 22L. Hope you got good photos! BYW, you got N555TZ, the only bird with those "Pleasant Holidays" titles.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:30 pm

So I did catch a rarity. How about that? I did not know that TZ has only one of their 757s has the Pleasant Holidays titles. Interesting, considering how many Tri-Stars had them, and the Hawaii "Wave" tail logo.

I was a bit surprised myself to see a 753 take off on 26L. I agree, most 752s and 753s depart off of 22L during Kona wind conditions, along with 767s. One shot came out okay.

Ever see a C-5 take off from 22L? It practically uses every inch of real estate. Must not have been a real heavy load.

The 753 reminds me of the DC-8-60/70 series. If you were to put another pair of engines ...

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:04 am

As of 1000 HST ...
Just took a look from my lanai, there's a Volga-Dnepr An-124 sitting on the NR!

kalakaua

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:28 am

Hey Bluewave 707... Where do you live? Seems like you're the luckiest one to have the best view of the airport. I'm guessing Salt Lake, eh?

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:07 am

Kalakaua,

Nope, not Salt Lake which acquaintances tell me some buildings have an awesome, and closer view of HNL. I live in the Makiki / Lower Punchbowl area, that has a pretty great, though distant view of HNL. Downtown high rises obviously block parts of HNL, but it was one main factor of choosing this place. As long as I got a pair of binoculars, my scanner, and a beach chair, I'm doing great.  Big grin

B4REAL

Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:20 am

Still riding the wave.....

Does HNL ever get military stopovers from other countries?

ha763

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:42 am

The -124 was also sitting with a TZ 753 and OAI 752.

As for foreign military aircraft, I never notice any outside of RIMPAC exercises.

hawaiian717

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:03 am

Je98_w,

I didn't know that N555TZ was the only 753 with Pleasant Holidays titles either. I shot it in July 2002 taking off from OGG:

http://myaviation.net/?pid=00061153

If you look very closely you can just barely see the "Pleasant Holidays" titles.

David / MRY

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:47 pm

B4real,

There is foreign military aircraft in Hawaii during RIMPAC, which is a multi-national military exercise. Nations include Australia, Japan, New Zealand, and Canada, though there are more. I personally have seen the RNZAF 727, & C-130; RAAF F-111s, F/A-18S, & C-130s;
RCAF F/A-18s & CC-137s; JASDF C-130s. Plus, non-RIMPAC birds from the RAF: Nimrod ASW, & VC-10 tankers. I heard the RAF Vulcan bombers paid a visit to HIK a while back.

Got some shots of the VDA An-124 today. Nothing much else.

kalakaua

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:52 pm

Cool! I wanna live in a high rise, too when I come back to the islands. I want the awesome view as well. I can actually picture some guy on the lanai w/ their scanner, beach chair, and binoculours. Even though that'd sounds corny, I'd do the same!

je89_w

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:06 pm

The list of military aircraft Bluewave posted beats my list:
RAF delivery jets; B737BBJ, and Bombardier Challenger 604
Canada Air Force; CC-150 Polaris
RNZAF; B727
That's all the foreign military jets I've seen in HNL.

I've seen a Russian Government Ilyushin IL-62 (RA-86539) at Hickam last summer. Pretty cool.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luís Padrão

Here is my shot of N555TZ:

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © AAA Je89 W.

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:15 pm

Don't get me wrong ... I work. I've got a business to run, and a part-time job (which I am in the process of phasing out). But I do take several minutes out of my schedule to watch the traffic @ HNL from my lanai. It helps me re-focus, and relax.

HNLFlyBoy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:23 pm

Bluewave,

No need to justify the time you spend here or anyplace else for that matter. I think it's great what you have done for HNL with this thread. You have garnered international recognition and brought "our little corner of the world" closer to everyone.

Kudos to you!

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:14 pm

HNLFB,

Thanks for the edification. When I started the "A 727..." thread, I had no idea how big that one would get, and with the transition to this thread, which has out grown the previous incarnation by 400+%, I honestly had no idea this thread took off like it has.

I am happy that other cities have duplicated this thread. I did not know that one thread could make a difference and impact around the globe. I know one thing, I will not take all the credit. That goes out to my fellow HNL spotters, ex-residents, and visitors/tourists who have all contributed to the success of this thread. I owe you all a debt of gratitude. MAHALO NUI LOA!

I think I was misunderstood ... I did not want to make it sound like I don't work, and tons of free time. I was not trying to justify the time or anything else. It's just that, as mentioned before, the view of HNL was a major factor in choosing my place, and there are times when I take advantage of the view.

What I really want to do, is make a positive impact in people's lives and in the business community, by helping others achieve their goals and dreams (and their successes), through my business.

kalakaua

Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:43 pm

Just an update on the renovated AQ Lounge at HNL... It looks okay, but not great. Better than before, I must say. http://www.pbase.com/aqohana/lounge

clipperhawaii

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:09 pm

Today's "HNL Rarities" Funbird blast from the past.

Whom amongst us has never used one of these?

je89_w

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:14 pm

Yeah, I wish I could see HNL from my balcony. I know I live near Bluewave. Down obstructs the whold view of HNL. I can see 08R/26L arrivals, 22L/R path, 08L (flyover)/04R arrivals.

I can remember partially answering your question about the B727 and 2 B737s in HNL. I didn't know that it would lead up to this!

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:14 pm

You know, I forgot to list the details of the Volga-Dnepr An-124 that sat on the NR, from FC. Sorry about that.

The flight, VDA4652, originated this morning (24 Feb 04) in Milwaukee, WI (MKE) @ 0108 CST, arrived in HNL @ 0733 HST, and left tonight @ 2315 HST for an 11+ hour flight to Townsville, QLD, Australia.

The registration number was RA-82078

When I saw it, the jet was closed up. That was around 1130 HST.

HNLFlyBoy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:17 pm

Bluewave,

I can say this, you have impacted me with this post, as this is the first place I check when I sign on and actually the reason why I stepped up to F Class so that I could post. I look forward to reading the recent replies every time.

Clipperhawaii,

sorry, I have never seen a timetable from AQ like that. I am sure my parents used it though. Can't read the date real well, but does it say March 1969? If that's the case, I was still waiting to be born, but I was close. I was born in April 1969. Ok, now everyone knows how old I am. Oh well.

HNLFlyBoy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:22 pm

Kalakaua,

thanks for the link to the pics of the new AQ Ali'i Club here at HNL. I am not at all impressed with it, although anything is better than the last lounge which was really showing it's wear and tear at the end. It seems like AQ is attempting to do what BA did with its Terrace Lounges concept. I see the natural stone, light colored furniture, etc. Nice try, but in this concept, nothign compares to BA's Terraces. I'd like to the see this new Ali'i Club when it's fully completed and decorated. It will be interesting to see what type of "props" they use in the lounge. I'm hoping for some type of retro Hawaiiana as that is a trend in decorating right now and never really went out of style here in Hawaii.

Aloha!

aloha73g

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:34 am

Personally, I think the new Ali'i Club Lounge looks very nice, atleast compared tot he old one. It wouldn't really be fair to compare it to BA because most of the people using the ALi'i Club are probably on interisland flights and won't be there for too long. Also, my aunt used to live at the top of Alewa Heights (address was 1965 Alewa Dr.) and the view of HNL from up there was AWESOME. I would spend hours there watching the planes go. The first night she moved in (1998 I think) was the evening a DL L10-11 had an engine catch fire during takeoff on 8R. Quite a sight I bet--too bad I missed it. -Aloha

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:12 am

Clipperhawaii,

You really dug into your collection, huh? Great selection. I miss those old bright orange AQ "Funjets". That was a great color scheme.

Would be nice to see a 73G in this throwback livery with the tail design on the winglets.

Can't wait for what you'll post next.  Smile

HNLFlyBoy

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:50 am

Bluewave,

I agree with you. I think it would be neat to see an AQ 73G in the "Funjets" livery. I think that the Mainland pax would love it...kinda like starting your vacation just while looking at the airplane that is going to take you there.

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

I wonder if AQ would consider it?

clipperhawaii

Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:03 am

Classic paint scheme on this DC-9. I would like to see this on a 717!

This November will be Hawaiian's 75th year.

B4REAL

Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:16 am

Okay, still riding the wave, on the 1 and 1/2 month blog......

Any HA insider's know if HA would ever consider a retro-livery on a 717 or 767? Clipperhawaii brings up a good point that a throw-back would look great! AA's retrojets and Air Canada and Mexicana's retro liveries are among my favorite of all aircraft liveries.

But, with HA's financial situation, that is not likely any time soon!

Another Rarity, I pulled this off of Flytecomm today (Looks like it happens frequently from the posts above, but this is a bizzare routing):

Airline Berry Aviation
Flight Number 228
Departure City (Airport) , (JON)
Departure Time
Arrival City (Airport) Honolulu, HI (HNL)
Arrival Time 02/25/2004 03:00 PM
Remaining Flight Time 01:12
Aircraft Type Swearingen Metro + Merlin 4
Current Altitude 0 feet
Current Groundspeed 302 mph
Flight Status In Flight

Airline Berry Aviation
Flight Number 228
Departure City (Airport) Honolulu, HI (HNL)
Departure Time 02/25/2004 08:58 AM
Arrival City (Airport) , (JON)
Arrival Time
Remaining Flight Time 00:00
Current Altitude 0 feet
Current Groundspeed 0 mph
Flight Status Landed

Airline Berry Aviation
Flight Number 228
Departure City (Airport) North Kingstown, RI (OQU)
Departure Time 02/25/2004 03:24 PM
Arrival City (Airport) WRIGHTSTOWN, NJ (WRI)
Arrival Time
Current Altitude 0 feet
Flight Status Arrived

Airline Berry Aviation
Flight Number 228
Departure City (Airport) Falmouth, MA (FMH)
Departure Time 02/25/2004 02:22 PM
Arrival City (Airport) North Kingstown, RI (OQU)
Arrival Time 02/25/2004 02:35 PM
Current Altitude 0 feet
Flight Status Arrived

Airline Berry Aviation
Flight Number 228
Departure City (Airport) Bedford, MA (BED)
Departure Time 02/25/2004 01:14 PM
Arrival City (Airport) Falmouth, MA (FMH)
Arrival Time 02/25/2004 01:36 PM
Current Altitude 0 feet
Flight Status Arrived

Airline Berry Aviation
Flight Number 228
Departure City (Airport) Portsmouth, NH (PSM)
Departure Time 02/25/2004 11:44 AM
Arrival City (Airport) Bedford, MA (BED)
Arrival Time 02/25/2004 11:54 AM
Current Altitude 0 feet
Flight Status Arrived

Airline Berry Aviation
Flight Number 228
Departure City (Airport) BRUNSWICK, ME (NHZ)
Departure Time
Arrival City (Airport) Portsmouth, NH (PSM)
Arrival Time 02/25/2004 11:15 AM
Current Altitude 0 feet
Flight Status Arrived

Airline Berry Aviation
Flight Number 228
Departure City (Airport) Bangor, ME (BGR)
Departure Time 02/25/2004 09:53 AM
Arrival City (Airport) BRUNSWICK, ME (NHZ)
Arrival Time
Current Altitude 0 feet
Flight Status Arrived

Airline Berry Aviation
Flight Number 228
Departure City (Airport) Springfield, MA (CEF)
Departure Time 02/25/2004 08:11 AM
Arrival City (Airport) Bangor, ME (BGR)
Arrival Time 02/25/2004 09:14 AM
Current Altitude 0 feet
Flight Status Arrived

Airline Berry Aviation
Flight Number 228
Departure City (Airport) WRIGHTSTOWN, NJ (WRI)
Departure Time
Arrival City (Airport) Springfield, MA (CEF)
Arrival Time 02/25/2004 07:56 AM
Current Altitude 0 feet
Flight Status Arrived

This is a crazy route, used the flight for many stops. I'm still trying to figure out what a 'Swearingen Metro + Merlin 4' is, but is sounds rare!

Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:58 am

You know, if HA & AQ put retro liveries on their newest aircraft, it would definitely turn a lot of heads. Imagine if they used the liveries before the ones recently posted?

Someone had mentioned that Berry Aviation runs some kind of charter for the DoD. Wonder why it's not run out of a military base. That's what I heard.

Went out to HNL, nothing special. N555TZ is back in town on the NR.

I watched a FX MD-11F take-off yesterday, and it didn't retract its gear until it almost made its left turn to 080 heading. It must have been close to 2,000 feet altitude, if not more.

B4REAL

Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:57 am

Still, riding the wave, post #500, lucky me....

The Berry charters for DoD make sense, especially the stop and go routing the aircraft had in it's new England flights in the links above, but does anyone have a pciture of a 'Swearingen Metro + Merlin 4' @ HNL????

I google'd this type of a/c and it does not look like a transpacific aircraft, which leads me to believe that is not it. The website said it has a 1,000 mile range, and I can't think of any island hopping to get to HNL in less than 1,000 miles. I think I read a stat somewhere that Hawai'i is the most isolated place on earth by over 2200 miles/ ??

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos