Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skytrain

RE: Just A REMINDER:AIRLINE Is On NOW!

Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:11 pm

What a racist fool! Does he think that giving his stereotype of a 'terrorist' to the Southwest employees is going to help him get out of the airport faster!? Way to tell us that your racist ass works for a congressman! LOL!

I hope these people see this show and realize how ridiculous they look! Smile

Cheers - Skytrain.

PS. Who shows up 20mn before departure?! And if she was going to be THAT late she could have thought of a better excuse then "I've never flown out of Chicago before" hahaha.... Idiot.

fjnovak1

Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:11 pm

I think its been on for a while longer than that, although the first time I saw it was last week. However, I will be watching every week from here on out; its one of my favorite shows now...
Go Blue!!

emiratesa345
Topic Author

Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:20 pm

The first two episodes were first shown last Monday.

EmiratesA345 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

FLAIRPORT

Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:25 pm

for the BMX group, why didn't the pilo just make an emergency landing.... they did not folow vabin instructions and did not desire to fly at all.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

emiratesa345
Topic Author

Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:32 pm

In order to do an emergency landing, everyone needs to be seated anyway. I guess it was just more feasable for them to fly on to Chicago.

I couldn't stand that one lady that looked like trailer park trash and acted as if they had broken her arm, as she was demanding a free ticket.

EmiratesA345 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

ATA767

Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:36 pm

Thanks for the reminder I almost forgot. I think most airlines were stupid to miss the exposure that this gives them. even if it is airing a bit of dirty laundry

goingboeing

Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:37 pm

Maybe because I live in KC that I noticed this, but there were TWO references tonight to "flights from Kansas". Somebody needs to tell the producers that Kansas CIty (MCI) is in Missouri, not Kansas.

ANX4fishing

Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:50 pm

Boy, you could not pay me enough to do the job those agents do. My hat is off...

thomasphoto60

Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:06 pm

Akumas,

I e-mailed A&E about the possibility of this being made into a DVD, though no feedback from them as of yet. However most of their programming whether the productions are their own or produced by others usually ends up being marketed as a VHS or DVD. So let's keep our fingers crossed.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

MCOtoATL

Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:08 pm

The show does a good job of showing the extreme measures that the employees go through. SWA really comes out smelling like a rose when people see this show.

By the way, it's funny that we find it racist when someone refers to "Arabs," but we don't seem to mind when we refer to people as "trailer trash." Isn't this a bit hypocritical?

FlyGuyClt

Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:16 pm

That racist guy with the gun. Hhhmmm. Does he know Strom Thurmond died?

Just kidding.

Oh boy. The show does pick the ones don't they. The lady who was late. Her kids, you could see they were embarrassed as can be. Or what about the bag in LAX that was opened by the TSA?

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

atrude777

Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:18 pm

Goeingboeing-0 I also noticed thsi too I was thinking SOUTHWEST DOESN'T FLY TO KANSAS!!! However..MCI is the closest thing to Kansas so i ebt alot fo the people heading to Kansas(the state) use MCI through it and i bet some people mistakenly book to MCI not knowing its in MO and not Kansas(the state) but good point u pointed out..it was Mike(baggage claims at LAX and Colleen(MDW) I believe that said that and the announcer said "and the arrival from kansas took everyone by surpise" anyone catch that?

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Aaron747

Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:51 pm

Boy, is it ever time for an all access expose like this. Hats off to airline employees everywhere who have to deal with the legions of idiots in the traveling public making things more difficult than need be. Most passengers seem to be fine, but those bad ones sure know how to put a damper on a day.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

B6FA4ever

Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:12 pm

wow...i'm on the pacific coast so i just FINALLY got to see both shows. i can't believe all the issues gate agents have to deal with. i know we have our issues at jetblue but southwest is another story. its much larger and takes a heck of a lot more pax than we do in a day w/ their very large network...Kudos to all the MDW crew keeping their cool and helping the passengers out as much as they can during the power outage!

~B6FA4ever

Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:26 pm

Great show... I thought all the situations were handled very well by the crews (then again, they knew the cameras were rolling)... the shotgun guy was hilarious. While at the surface it seems like racism, it's really ignorance (maybe the root of all racism, I'm no expert), and frankly I just found the comment laughable.

Aloha717200

Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:44 pm

I saw it for the first time tonight, put a tape on and recorded both episodes.

It was a real eye opener. I used to think it might be kinda fun to be a CSA for an airline but I've changed my mind. I certainly don't envy their job!

That lady showing up 20 minutes before departure and missing her flight takes the cake. She gets all pissed off and says "I can't believe they're blaming it on me can you believe that?"

Yeah, I can lady, because it's YOUR FAULT for showing up to the airport late! It is your fault, not SWA's! Then she says she wants to sue SWA (Yeah, she'd lose quick), and runs around the airport making a total fool out of herself, before coming back to WN with her tail tucked between her legs. Fortunately this time a CSA goes out of her way to help this lady....and suddenly she, I guess her name is Sharon from the posts above, likes WN again. Pathetic. I felt so bad for her kids.

The story with the boy was nice. The conflict with the iranian guy over the broken lock on the luggage was interesting. He didnt seem to get it that in the USA now, all locks are broken. You can't just tell them not to, it's policy and it doesnt matter what you say.

Guy with the shotgun....didnt want it inspected because he'd taken care in wrapping it. But he didnt have to be such a jerk about it. Yeah, extra security sucks, you can thank OBL for that. His "Arab" comment was over the top.

The scenes from the second night at MDW during the blackout didnt paint Southwest in a very good light I fear. They put up people for the first night in hotels but were going to refuse to do it for the second night even though many of the same people were stranded from the night before. In the end though the manager lady did give them hotel stays....but still.

This is a real eye opening show. I cant say that it paints Southwest in a good light. To the casual viewer who knows nothing about standard rules in aviation, it probably makes WN look cold and uncaring at times. To us aviation enthusiasts, we see the CSA's doing their job despite what abuse they take, so for us, it paints them in a good light.

God, I cannot believe that one woman who kept insisting on a free ticket because of what those BMX kids did on that flight. They offered her a 50 dollar voucher and she still wanted more. Some people will take advantage of any opportunity to make a buck or avoid spending a buck. I understand it was a terrible flight for her and others, but that's not entirely SWA's fault, and her insistence on a free ticket shows that the distruption, in her mind, was the perfect opportunity to try and cheat the system.

What is BMX anyway?

ramprat74

Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:48 pm

I would of kick that BMX team off of Southwest. They gave in too easy to those jackasses. They kept spouting their mouths off to the cops also.

The shotgun guy was in a wheelchair. Give him a break. LOL.

a340pilot

Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:07 pm

I think if I was a passenger making a flight and arrived only 20 minutes to departure, I would hope that I would be bumped up to a different flight just so I can take in some plane spotting, so I don't think I (personally) would give a fuss If I was bumped  Big grin

Best regards,
a340pilot
Go! Canucks Go!

nwa man

Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:08 pm

I'm gonna agree with Aloha717200 on this... last week made Southwest look a whole lot better than this week did. Last week, the CSAs/CSMs genuinely cared about the customers, and this week, they weren't painted in such a favorable light (especially the Detroit crew that dropped the ball on the blackout).

I did like the scene where Colleen bargained with the hotel manager for rooms... shows the real nitty-gritty side of customer service, and how some good deeds can go unnoticed.

N-Dub
Create your own luck.

mjszanto

EmiratesA345

Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:12 pm

<<<<<<"Do I look like an Arab to you?"

What a discriminatory remark! Anyone else catch it?

EmiratesA345

Definitely discrimatory, but what a moron. Who the heck would say this on television. Wouldn't you guys put your best face up for television. I'm sure these guys must all be signing waivers.

Akumas

Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:17 pm

Thomasphoto60, thanks for that.
I was looking around their web site, but couldn't find a email address.
Hopefully they also take orders from Oceania!  Laugh out loud

AirBerlin

Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:02 pm

This is a great show
AL

WesternDC1010

Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:38 pm

I used to work for Southwest Airlines out at LAX Terminal 1 pre 9/11 and I used to see some very unusual things happen where security was involved. If the travelling public, like the one man in a wheelchair complaining about the inspection of his shotgun, knew what went on if security wasn't so tight as it is now, they wouldn't be travelling!!!

He should be thankful he wasn't aboard UA175, UA93, AA77 or AA11!

And that trailer park trash mother who showed up to MDW 20 minutes before flight time should've been ashamed of herself for the conduct she displayed. It reminded me of a 2-year old who pitches a fit until she gets what she wants! Lets hope she never runs into me in San Diego because I will give this piece-of-work her much deserved reprimand! Of course you'll be charged a $3,000.00 ticket by just walking up to purchase a ticket to fly the same day! Maybe next time, she'll move that ugly ass of hers quicker to get to the airport at a reasonable time!

She's lucky she didn't get a $3,000.00 beating by other patient passengers in line waiting for their flights when they arrived long before she did!

I hope this program shows more classy people than these 'tubed-top' 'flip-flop' 'paper-bag toting' beauties we saw on the last 2 episodes!

I'm gonna get it for these remarks!

- Ron
Western DC-10-10
Western Airlines - The Only Way To Fly

FlyGuyClt

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:17 pm

WesternDC1010:

We are going to get along just fine. Thanks for sharing the truth !

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

goingboeing

Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:03 pm

I gotta admit, I'm kind of sad that no other airline agreed to let them be filmed. Because I'm sure it would open the eyes of many who like to cover SWA passengers with the "trailer trash" blanket statement when they see that the other airlines have their fair share of "trailer trash" flying them. And...they'd be surprised to see that those folks are also "vocal" even when they're dead wrong. Seems I recall that a shotgun toting passenger blew out a lobby window at a Delta airlines counter at DFW a few years ago as he "demonstrated" that the gun was unloaded. It wasn't. Seems I recall a first class passenger on a United flight who was upset about not being served another drink and decided to defecate on the serving cart. Seems I recall a couple of twin "models" having such a nicotine fit on a UAL flight to Tokyo that it had to divert to Anchorage. My wife told me about a passenger on an America West (pre LCC days) who stepped out of the lav and announced to the back of the aircraft "Reeee-lief - I just lost 10 pounds in there". Although an aircraft might have a first class cabin, it does not guarantee that their clientle have any more "class" than those who fly Southwest. Hate to burst y'all's bubble.

cha747

Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:01 am

I agree with Goingboeing...with fares dropping, I'm sure more, well...how should I put this...less sophisticated and less seasoned travelers are going to be hitting the skies. I have these types of patients who threaten to sue if you don't make them better RIGHT NOW. Of course, they don't understand how smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day for twenty years, being 200 pounds overweight, and not exercising has impacted their health....it's always NOT their fault...and when you blame them they stop listening. The question is though, will Sharon, the shotgun guy, the BMX guy, the Iranian tourist, and the people with their 16 month old get compensated by A&E for being publicly humiliated? Or is this just another example of how people would do ANYTHING to have their 15 minutes of fame on television?
Piedmontgirl was always right

EA CO AS

Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:17 am

They put up people for the first night in hotels but were going to refuse to do it for the second night even though many of the same people were stranded from the night before. In the end though the manager lady did give them hotel stays....but still.

Technically, WN was under no obligation to put people up in hotels that first night, either. The power outage back east was totally beyond their control, and air carriers are only required to provide amenities when something within their control (mechanicals, lack of crew, etc) cancel the flight. The second night was just poor communication between the station manager in Detroit and the customers on the buses. As the MDW CSM explained, there was no guarantee of them making any connections from MDW that night; they were just getting them closer to their destination, with hopes of more seat availability.

God, I cannot believe that one woman who kept insisting on a free ticket because of what those BMX kids did on that flight. They offered her a 50 dollar voucher and she still wanted more.

I was literally YELLING at my TV when that woman kept going off about getting a free ticket. The conduct of other passengers is not something WN is liable for, and she was lucky to even get a $50.00 travel certificate. What a piece of shit she was! And did anyone notice her shirt? If you taped the show, pay close attention...it was red, and had white lettering down the side:

REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT  Wow!

No, I am NOT kidding. Then again, she was flying WN...perhaps she assumed one of the many drunks attempting to board would take a pity shot at her?  Nuts
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Lucky727

Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:26 am

Cha747 -
A&E owes those people nothing - they humiliated themselves, there just happened to be a camera in front of them. Call it the new era of reality television.

I'm just curious about the deal struck between A&E and Southwest to produce this show - I'm sure Southwest's marketing division saw an opportunity for publicity...makes their staff look good, although it might steer some travellers away with the calibre of passenger they're likely to sit next to.

My experiences with Southwest were average - but don't forget, each half hour show was probably edited down from many hours of footage - and the power rests in the editors' hands in choosing the more outrageous/salacious moments & "framing" those passengers for entertainment purposes.

regards,
Lucky
··· [·] oooooooo [·] oooo oo ooooo [·] ooooooooooooooooooo [·]

airjampanam

Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:28 am

I finally caught up with this series... lemme just say this.
Living in NYC, Southwest doesn't have the largest presence unless you live on Long Island, but just a few points;
who flies post 9/11 without ID for EVERYONE?
Those CSM were good to be calling hospitals for DOB for those undocumented brats.
Do parents realize children get abducted and transported out of the country every day.
WTF?
Southwest as a airline seems very popular based on the post I have seen on this site in the few months I have been a member, but DAMN.. Their passengers leave a lot to be desired.
Did other airlines decline participation in this series?
The airline looks like a fun airline but def. low cost and low brow, I hate to say.
Where do these passengers come from?
The Airport series on Discovery was much better, because it was more than 1 airline, I mean they even went to the home of that flight attendant as he was leaving to go to work!
And yes we all can do the math. Male+single+35+FA does = queer most times!!!
That was too funny
LOL
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

bistro1200

Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:42 am

I was really upset that SW gave free hotels the first night of the blackout, that just gets customers conditioned to getting hotels when things outside the airline's control happen.

The shotgun guy was thinking the N-word when being helped by the black CSR, you could tell with his eyes. What a prick.

As for Sharon:

Measure to the millimeter, mark with a crayon, cut with an axe.

sushka

Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:49 am

I can't believe the TSA was so stupid to break that guys suitcase when it wasn't even locked!!
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

desertjets

Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:01 am

The reality of reality TV is that it is far from a true picture of reality. You cannot make any assumption about Southwest passengers from watching an episode or two of this show. Thousands of hours of footage edited down to a 22 minute episode. You think they are going to show footage of nicely dressed businessmen quietly on their way to a meeting??? Of course not, when you have the crazy lady pissed because she is late and stuck on standby for the rest of the day.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Jonathan L

Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:11 am

Bistro1200, LOL -- that sums Sharon up nicely. "I'm gunna sue Southwest!"

The number of free things demanded by people was amazing. It seems to me that these customers would be better off writing a nice, calm letter to Southwest explaining the situation after they get home instead of yelling at the Southwest employees. I was really surprised to see Southwest booking hotel rooms during the blackout.

I'm also curious as to why all those people were hanging around after the BMX flight. If they'd given me a $50 voucher, I would have said "hey, that's great, thanks," and gotten the hell out of that airport. Expecting a free flight was ridiculous.

Did you see what that unaccompanied minor had to have on? The pin was fine, but it looked like at one point they had a half of a file folder hung off of that thing. It looked pretty stupid.

goingboeing

Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:30 am

Southwest as a airline seems very popular based on the post I have seen on this site in the few months I have been a member, but DAMN.. Their passengers leave a lot to be desired.

You saw 5 of the 72 million they flew last year. I would hardly call that a representative sample.

airjampanam

Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:56 am

Goingboeing .. You are absolutely right, that's why I prefaced my statement by saying Southwest isnt that visible in the North East.
Perception can be a Mutha, so can 1st impressions!
I never said I would'nt fly em, just made a comment on who was portrayed.
Its a quasi/reality TV show, so I treat it as such.
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

Aloha717200

Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:12 am

I also agree with GoeingBoeing. Yes, alot of the people seen here were less than sophisticated, but I bet you if other airlines volunteered for this show too you'd see alot of the exact same thing.

AA pax or UA pax are no more elite and sophisticated than WN pax. Heck, business fliers use WN all the time.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:52 am

^

Case in point: the guy sitting next to the kid who made the flippant remark about crashing on the LAX-LAS flight.

Southwest does indeed attract a lot of business travelers - anybody who makes conclusions based on two half hour TV shows intended to show extremes for entertainment value is an idiot. I'm college educated, work in the legal profession and travel Southwest all the time. Why? Because they're $75 RT to LAX from OAK and I'd pay $200 on United.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

a340pilot

Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:06 am

This show kind of reminds me of Jerry Springer, They tape hours of film and only keep the "slaps" LOL

Best regards,
a340pilot
Go! Canucks Go!

Samurai 777

Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:11 am

Airline has been interesting as a TV series. I find it kind of fun to watch, but I do feel for anyone working for any airline, including WN, who have to deal with morons, drunks, smelly people, etc. I'm sure the average day must usually be a lot duller than what's showing on this series, so like Goingboeing said, the passengers on the series may not be very representative of the general population who flies WN.

I'm not surprised that people would choose WN for business trips, either. I've known quite a few people to do the same at WestJet. After all, WestJet's pretty similar to WN, being Canada's biggest LCC with an all-737 fleet. Until now, I didn't realize that even WestJet's employees have such similar attitudes about how they treat passengers, too! Big grin

EA CO AS

Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:15 am

Expecting a free flight was ridiculous.

Absolutely...but then again, she was a ridiculous person to begin with.

It never ceases to amaze me at what people think they should be compensated for....the plane was 10 minutes late...the plane was 10 minutes EARLY and I had to wait for my party to pick me up...the plane was too cold...I didn't get a pillow...the flight attendant didn't smile...and every time, what do they say?

"I think I deserve a free ticket."

I'd love to respond with, "How about a swift kick in the ass instead?" but that's another story.  Big thumbs up
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

goingboeing

Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:31 am

Heck EA CO AS...on a consumer reporters message board, a guy was posting about the "no service" of Delta Airlines because his flight from FLL to ATL was delayed 3 hours because the pilot "refused to take off". When it was pointed out that there was a ground stop in effect in ATL, basically stopping all traffic in the nation destined for ATL, he felt that he PAID for a ticket so by golly, they weren't living up to their end of the bargain. Yes...he felt he should be compensated for his inconvenience. I posted a picture of the remains of Delta 191 to show him why ground stops are in place. The funny part was, he posted the letter he wrote to Delta, along with their response, and he STILL didn't get that the pilot cannot take off when there is a ground stop in place.

Espion007

Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:45 am

I just watched the 2 shows on Airline yesterday night.OF course it does not represent ALL of southwest's customers,but it is still interesting.Employees of southwest and other airlines are likely to see five or six people like those in just one day.Of all the reality TV shows,i think this one has the most reality(how can they call being stuck on an island and eating bugs reality?).The kind of stuff in Airline goes on every day.

I liked the bit about the shotgun guy.honestly,how can he not understand what you cannot waltz through security with a shotgun in your luggage like anyone else because your a WASP?What was also interesting was a black women who tried to i think,get on one of the buses to detriot or something.I dont recall much from the show,but i knew she kept blaming SWA for everything because of the complications from the blackout. Someone should tell her that SWA isnt an electricity company for the entire northwest  Insane

In the scene where SWA employees were getting passengers hotel rooms,did anyone pick up a guy shouting, "I was promised a free hotel room!"?i know i did.He was damn funny  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Snakes on a Plane!

CRJmx

Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:52 am

The question is though, will Sharon, the shotgun guy, the BMX guy, the Iranian tourist, and the people with their 16 month old get compensated by A&E for being publicly humiliated?

Cha747:

It has to be the opportunity to be on television. I'm sure that A&E and Southwest had those people sign waivers to use their stories. If not there could be legal issues there.

My 2 Cents

When it hits your lips, it's so good!!

BR715-A1-30

Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:11 am

I agree with you all. That Sharon woman was just making me MAD!!!!. I wanna sue Southwest. Well, Gee lady, you missed your flight. Now when we get the other passengers who are CONFIRMED on these flights taken care of, we will move on to you. Until then F**K OFF!!!!
Puhdiddle

canuckpaxguy

Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:37 am

I think Southwest went above and beyond the call of duty during the blackout by offering up accommodation. I can see why the peeps were frustrated, but it's not like it was WN's fault! Good God! That mad hoard of people acted like a bunch of babies.

Anyone know if other airlines offered the same? (Maybe this should be a new topic).

G

B747-437B

Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:03 pm

Turn on A&E - Airline is on NOW!

captaingomes

Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:15 pm

Just a reminder, Airline on A&E just ended 15 MINUTES AGO! Turn off your TV NOW!
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos