Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pmanchuk
Topic Author

A&E "Airline"

Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:16 pm

I know I'm a bit late at this... I missed the first show but just watched it as it was re-aired on A&E this evening. While I think the idea of a show about the reality of the airline world is an interesting one, from the two episodes I just saw, if I were an executive at Southwest, I'd be not only horrified, I'd be ready to sue (okay, maybe a little over-reaction on my part).

In my opinion, the show casts Southwest as an airline full of second rate employees and bottom of the bucket customers. Remember, I said the show casts them in that light... that is NOT my opinion, so please don't flame me.

From homeless passengers who are denied boarding because of body odor to agents who are "too busy" to attend to children and allow them to roam the airport, I find it hard to believe that this show will not cause a negative impact on Southwest. Yes there were "good" scenes... for example the very kind f/a who was taking care of the boy traveling to Las Vegas, but we all know that people remember the bad ALWAYS. I'm shocked that Southwest is actually going along with this show.

My question is two-fold... 1. For employees of Southwest (who have seen the program), what is your opinion... joy, humor, outrage? and 2. For those who might consider flying Southwest in the future, will this stop you from booking with them in fear of being part of the "circus" A&E is portraying?

rthrbeflying86

RE: A&E "Airline"

Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:29 pm

I think it is probably great advertising for SWA. Any exposure is good exposure (even plane crashes, some say), so this couldn't be bad.

The main problem I have with it (and the airline itself, really) is that the people who are flying seem to be completely ignorant. This is probably an unfounded stereotype, but it is not quelled by a show aiming to gain viewers. Either way, WN does seem to cater to average people who feel very similarly getting on a bus as to getting on a plane.

It is hard to chastise this type of feeling, though, because there really is no reason for flying to be glamorous. Yes, we all love flying, but to the average American, it is simply a mode of public transportation.

I have never flown Southwest, but the show has made me want to try, mostly for the experience. Their casual and human culture comes through strongly, and lacks the aristocracy of bygone flying years.
I'd rather be flying.

Bruce

Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:29 pm

Why are SW employees "bad" for denying boarding to a homeless person who smelled real bad??? They have every right to do that.

I don't think it is a "circus" as you put it - this is what kinds of people are really out there and the employees have to deal with. People are just irrational. The lady who wanted to go to SAN but missed her flight was told that the other flights were booked and she could go stand-by. Then she got all pissed off. Well too bad. that's life if you come late and miss the flight.

I did not see anything bad about the SWA employees, except maybe the one who let the kid wander away.

As for SWA customers being "bottom of the bucket", well, I never met any people on my flight who caused problems but i guess they are out there. Its the nature of being the Wal*Mart of airlines.

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

v1vRfly

Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:42 pm

As with any other "reality" type show, it can never be REAL. Any one in front of a camera knows it is there and will act differently. It is an ACT. If A&E truly wanted to reveal the airline industry from the inside, then hidden cameras in the cabins and cockpits (with the permission of the airline of course) would be REALITY. But we all know this will never happen because of what people may REALLY say and do. I have lost respect for A&E jumping on this "reality" show bandwagon.

pmanchuk
Topic Author

Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:50 pm

Bruce:

I wasn't trying to say the employees were "bad" for denying boarding to the homeless guy. I was simply making the point that this show could easily lead one to believe that Southwest flights are full of homeless "smelly" guys, raving lunatic mothers who can't use alarm clocks, BMX groupies who want to trash the plane, and guys that are going to drag you out to the street corner and beat you up after having 10 beers in the bar at 8AM. I consider myself lucky I've never encountered any of the above in my travels.

Also, I fully realize that people have bad days (myself included), but is it really necessary to show gate agents "snipping" at customers? For instance the agent who just didn't want anything to do with the COS gentlemen and then proceeded to bark at her supervisor that he "needed her assistance."

Whether this is daily reality at Southwest or just a bunch of random occurances edited together to make a "captivating" program, I've already heard from two individuals who after watching the show said they would never fly Southwest (which is the reason I've been dying to see it... to understand what they were talking about). So the question still stands... how will this affect Southwest? (By the way, I'm sure someone will point out I should be using the airline codes rather than writing out the name... oh well).  Smile

emiratesa345

Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:57 pm

Remember the one lady who was trying to get a free flight because of the BMX gang who was so disruptive and disorderly during the flight?

"From homeless passengers who are denied boarding because of body odor"

Well, if they hadn't denied boarding to this passenger, then we'd have a whole aircraft full of those type of Welfare Jomomas who would be demanding free flights. It is better to turn down one customer and make the rest happy, then to turn down 150 to make 1 happy. Ideally, all customers should be happy, unfortunately this is not always the case.

EmiratesA345 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

AnsettAW

Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:46 pm

Pmanchuk: I've never flown Southwest before and after watching Airline it doesn't make me want to rush out and book a flight with them in the future. However, these scenes cannot possibly be the norm but they make for great television.

EmiratesA345: You're joking, right? You can't possibly be that ignorant.
Snap, Krackle, and Pop are thinly veiled emblems for the Trilateral Commission.

flyingnanook

Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:02 pm

I find the show entertaining. I feel that it does cast a good light on SWA because it shows the compassion that the agents have when dealing with sensitive situations such as the homeless man. It also shows that they do kick off drunken and disorderly passengers.

I would hope that the television watching public understands that not all passengers on SWA are like those shown on the show and that these events are few and far between.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Tiger119

Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:43 pm

I have only seen one episode and it reminded me way TOO much of the series on Discovery Wings (name of the show escapes me at the time) that is filmed at LHR. Now, the show in London seems like a pretty good show, it shows more of the airport experience. I know this A&E show is supposed to be just about Southwest but when flying commercial, there's more to the trip than just the airline you are on flying on!
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

FLAIRPORT

Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:08 pm

i think that it is real, but fake. They are real situations, and the agents/pilots don't know whats coming, but they "retake" the shots. I noticed this in the drunk "i come from the streets." They moved the camera angle without missing a beat (and there was no other camer ain the background, so unless they have good editors, its a retake.) This is what happened on Survivor as well. It is the only way to get these incedents on TV, I think. You cannot expect a drunk person and get every single angle in one take. (how they get the drunks to retake, I wonder). However, with some, like the BMX, it is not fake and the show was actually cheating by keeping the sound on!

The parts where they are on the plane are probably 1 takes. Also, if you notice the boom operator in the checkin scenes. I believe that that is 1 take as well. But, everything else is multiple takes.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

COIAH99

Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:26 pm

I just saw the show for the first time last night and thought it was OK. I agree it does seem a little fake at times. I just wonder if more people find out about the show and see cameras and boom operators and such at check in that they might "play up" any situation just to get on TV?
Have they just shown the passenger service aspect of the airline? I would also like to see other areas of Southwest. For example the ramp personnel or maintenance. I used to work on the ramp but I would still find it interesting to see how other airlines do things. I know there are a lot of funny things that can happen down there as well!
Work Hard Fly Right

tjwgrr

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:10 am

What strikes me the most having watched the first two weeks of "Airline" is how many rude, obnoxious, and inconsiderate passengers there are. (= Ass-holes.)

My hats off to all the CSAs and flight crews at SWA (and the other airlines as well) that are forced to deal with these people on a daily basis.

Also, It looks to me that the employees at SWA can still have fun while working, despite all of the challenges they face.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

BR715-A1-30

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:18 am

Fake or not, it sure beats watching other useless crap on T.V. I love watching ignorant passengers miss their flight. I love watching people who curse out the agents get taken away by the cops. Why? Because THEY DESERVE IT!!!!
Puhdiddle

emiratesa345

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:18 am

AnsettAW,

That's not ignorant. It's the truth. Sorry you can't handle it.

EmiratesA345 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

SafetyDude

Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:01 am

Actually, I have a lot more respect for SWA and all who work in the airline business. I'm sure that the incidents on SWA happen on all other airlines. I would assume that someone at SWA reviews all of the footage and tells the producer what can and cannot be shown.

I love the show, I cannot wait for tonight's episodes! Big grin
-Will
P.S. The British show about LHR is called "Airport" and is due to start filming at LHR again soon.
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

txagkuwait

Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:23 am

Immediately prior to the show being aired, in interviews with various news programs and in the Dallas Morning News it was widely reported that"

(1) the shots are not "retakes" or anything other than compilation of film from actual events

(2) Southwest has not editorial control over what is shown, but in a sensitive situation they are permitted to use narration to explain a company policy or employee act

coronado

Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:33 am

For reality TV only the bizarre or unusual will do. What interest is there in seeing a bunch of businessmen/businesswomen quietly getting on a WN plane and opering up a newspaper or working on their papers quietly and without any fuss. If this Airline production focused on the norm it would be way to boring and the show would be cancelled in 2 weeks.

I run whole sale business dealing with computer related items. Let's face it in business it is the 10% of customers that seem to take up 90% of customer service time. The other 90% go about their business quietly, without fanfarre, pay their bills on time and treat my employees with respect. All they are looking for is consistent service and on time deliveries, i.e no surprises.
Not too different from the airline business.

All in all good TV and really useful for for all customer service employees to watch, almost as a training film. It can help employees to gain appreciation on how to handle really difficult or irrational customers. While we try and take care of all customers, I have had one or two occasions in the past 5 years in which I have told a customer to find a different supplier after reducing my best employee to tears due to completely uncalled for behavior.

Good for Southwest!
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

AnsettAW

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:08 am

That's not ignorant. It's the truth. Sorry you can't handle it.

Emirates, it's not that I can't handle it....it's just you don't know much about homelessness or social welfare policy in the U.S., that's all. It's okay. No big deal. Sorry for mud-slinging...I'll save it for the non-aviation forum.

I'm looking forward to more dysfunction and jaw-dropping antics of passengers on "Airline" in the weeks to come...very entertaining.

Snap, Krackle, and Pop are thinly veiled emblems for the Trilateral Commission.

CanadianNorth

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:12 am

Well personally Id say it dont put them in the best light, but it does give n idea of what some people have to put up with all day which can be good. And ive had that song "im leaving on a jet plane" stuck in my head for a week now.

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

Mike77

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:26 am

Everyone seems to be taking this show WAYYYY too seriously! I don't think it casts a bad light on the employees or clientele of WN. I have seen the entire series so far and have been extremely impressed by the professionalism of the staff. I work in guest services for an upscale hotel, and I have actually taken mental notes in terms of the verbage and actions taken by CSA's on this show. It shows how caring they can be...but also how hard-assed they can be with the unruly travelers. In either case, it is completely acceptable and understandable.

I don't think that this show should scare potential flyers from traveling with WN. I think you will find these low-class examples of passengers on any airline. This show could be about AA, UA, DL or any other major. There are bad apples in every bunch and, of course, they are shown on "Airline" because it makes for better TV. No one wants to watch people behaving themselves.

"Airline" is fascinating TV and I think it is ingenious for A&E and WN to have the guts to put a show like this out there. I am curious how the ratings for it are. I am obsessed with civil aviation, but I wonder if those not into the industry would really find the show that interesting.

Michael

canuckpaxguy

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:31 am

Some of the situations have been handled well.

Whether you think the smelly man should have been able to board or not, the two (very nice looking) women who handled the passenger, did it well.

I've seen two episodes now where a ticket agent has nearly denied boarding for "almost 2 year olds". I'm a little torn about this one. I imagine lots of people try to take advantage of the situation, but the WN agents were a bit extreme. If I'm not mistaken, both occurrences of this happened on return flights, where there could have been data from the first.

Ever heard of giving the customer the benefit of the doubt? I think the agents took their doubts way too far, and for what? It probably cost the airline as much to occupy that employee for that time as the flight itself...not to mention the 25+ people the dismayed couple will convince not to fly WN.

Some of you may jump all over this, but I believe there's GOT to be a better way of handling stupid pax who bring their kids and forget proof of age.

I like the fun in the sky...Reminds me of WestJet.

And for the woman who handled the BMXers...She's a lot more patient than I am; and denying boarding to 40 people (and the subsequent riot it would cause) would have made for better TV instead of that hideous woman trucking up and down the airport bitching about how she missed her flight.

90 minutes until the next episode...Talk to you later.

G

theflcowboy

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:31 am

When is this re-run? The new episodes on Monday nights conflict with my weekly dose of CSI  Big grin.

MD
A318, A320, A332, A333, B1900, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B737, B738, B772, CR1, CR2, CR7, CR9, MD80, MD81, MD82, MD8

flybulldog

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:49 am

It's rerun at 2:00 a.m.

Lucky727

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:52 am

It re-airs again at 2am est.
··· [·] oooooooo [·] oooo oo ooooo [·] ooooooooooooooooooo [·]

Okie

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:58 am

Definitely puts a new light on the type of people you have to deal with in a customer service position be it an airline or not.
However I did notice on several occasions that the squeaky wheel got the grease, whether it was not being able to find a ticket/cc charge which later mysteriously reappeared to finding a lower cost ticket than was quoted to start with.
Airlines are like any service business where you have to pay for a service before you receive it. Buyer beware!
I suspect things would be different if you paid for your flight after you arrived at your destination.

jeffrey1970

Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:10 am

I think it was a great idea for Southwest to agree to this program. It shows what kind of confidence there management has in there employees. I think the way the Southwest employees handled that homeless man was very professional. I felt they were very kind to him and seemed to be understanding.

God bless through Jesus,

Jeff
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

BR715-A1-30

Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:37 am

Which is pretty close as to how PeoplExpress was, you would board the plane and pay in-flight. If you didn't pay, police would await you at the gate.
Puhdiddle

EMBQA

Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:44 am

I think the way the Southwest employees handled that homeless man was very professional. I felt they were very kind to him and seemed to be understanding.

This was not the first mention in this thread of this person being 'Homeless'...I saw the show, and don't recall any mention of him being homeless. Just because a person has a case of BO does not make them a homeless person. I really think that would be a very slighted way of thinking.

Now, yes the PSA Agent handled that situation very professionally, with respect and tact.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

B4REAL

Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:39 pm

On tonight's episode @ LAX where the CSM assisted the elderly couple with the 'cleaning' - I wonder, would that manager have done that if the TV camera was not there?

B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

jhooper

Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:51 pm

I feel bad for the passengers who bought tickets but were involuntarily denied boarding, seemingly without any sympathy of the agent involved. "The more upset they are, the better I am", she said. Why can't they be a little more negotiable with the people volunteering to give up their seats?? It was like $200, take it or leave it.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

BR715-A1-30

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:04 pm

That was great how Herb (smokes with him and all), and Colleen were there with that retiring captain. That was great. I wonder the same thing about the soiled passenger and sup with the camera. It was hilarious how that guy tried to con his way on WN flights. he looked like he was a homeless dude that ripped off expired boarding passes out of airport trash cans.  Acting devilish
Puhdiddle

EMBQA

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:11 pm

Why can't they be a little more negotiable with the people volunteering to give up their seats?? It was like $200, take it or leave it.

It was $200.....PLUS the cost of the ticket. Not a bad deal in my eyes. What we are seeing on this show is the daily events around working for an airline. This is nothing new to anyone that has worked at an airline. Now, why not be more negotiable.....?? Because if they did that, they would loose so much money the airline would go out of business FAST.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

pmanchuk
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:13 pm

Okay, as the old saying goes... I'm eating my "crow pie" tonight. I'll be the first to admit overall that tonights two episodes were MUCH better than the previous two I watched.

As far as Mike, the CSM who helped the elderly gentleman with his unfortunate situation and helping to "clean" him... whether or not he would have done that if the cameras were not there is irrelevant... I thought it was completely wonderful what he did... god I wanted to give the wife a hug myself and that agent needs a salary increase!

As far as the lawyer couple, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I think the comment of "the more upset they are, the better I am" was way out of line, but I understand her rational. And exactly how many litigation cases has that wife won in her life??? Come on... you get extremely vocal and loud about your situation and then get all nervous and shaky as you lean over the counter and quietly tell the agent "we'll sue you." I'm sure that really impressed the agent! LOL But I did have to laugh about the woman in the background who obviously was dying to get on television... "sure, I'll give up my seat for a thousand dollars!"

And finally, what about the guy and his "damaged" suitcase. It was a little tear... give it a break... I'm sure it will go on sale at Target sooner or later.

But I still think some of the agents they're showing still need to brush up on their customer service skills (especially being on television).

sprxflySWA

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:14 pm

Loved the "world's most expensive bag" line the narrator said.

Type-Rated

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:22 pm

That was great how Herb showed up for the Captain's retirement. When I retire (maybe in a few short years), I can guarantee that the President of our Company (big oil) will NOT be there!
I thought the guy with the "missing" ticket looked ill. I agree with BR715-A1, he looked homeless.
I thougth about the guy with Altzheimers. Wow, what a situation to be in!
That was way beyond the call of duty for that Supervisor. I probably would have called Travelers Aid. In the end of that segment, I thought they had the camera too close up on him for too long. It really smacked of sensationalist reporting. What did we want to see, the guy crying? Jeesh!
I think we like this show because all the things that we see happen aren't happening to us!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

jeffrey1970

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:30 pm

EMBQA,

You know what you are right. I am sorry. I thought that with some many people referring to the man as homeless that maybe I missed something when I watched the show. I thought maybe they did say that on the show, but I missed it. Anyway I am sorry.

God bless through Jesus,

Jeff
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

Iflewrepublic

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:54 pm

All right, A-Kids....

I saw "Airline" tonight for the first time. I loved it. It reminds me of the mini-series/documentary that A&E did a while back called "Inside LAX". Both are excellent programs. Discovery Wings Airport is another good program.

That lady with the world's most expensive bag was making it sound like a Louis Vuitton bag...and it looked like a samsonite.

It's amazing how the traveling public reacts to different things.

Iflewrepublic.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

737doctor

Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:04 pm

I am a Southwest employee. I admit I had my reservations about this series, but the first episode tonight (the Alzheimers patient and the retiring captain) was a grand-slam home run for Southwest PR-wise. Colleen was instrumental concerning our involvement in this project and, after watching tonight, I do not doubt her judgment one bit.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

JMChladek

Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:43 pm

Well, after watching 2 nights worth (4 episodes) I like what I see. There is the good, the bad and the ugly. The good being the Alzheimers patient and the BO guy (who I didn't hear as being "homeless" either and looked reasonably groomed, even if he hadn't showered in a few days). The bad was the BMX group (WTG CS Rep for handling it and grounding the instigator) and the late lady who was cursing because she missed her flight (arrive earlier next time). The ugly was probably the overbooked flight deal on two flights. The lawyer couple was a bit irksome, but the situation with the CSR lady that missed her flight to give a talk seemed pretty, well.....crappy. I know it can happen, but it still stinks when somebody is left out in the cold when their job potentially depends on getting to their destination. I just hope such things don't happen to me if the stakes are that big.

Steve's retirement flight was a real blast. The prez showing up at his retirement was the best. I mean, its not often that THE senior Captain at Southwest retires and considering it sounds like Steve was at Southwest during its inception and handled contract negotiations, it almost sounded like he was senior on day one (or the elected pilot union rep from day one).

"Before I met Steve, I didn't drink or smoke. Before I met Steve, I didn't cuss. Steve has added a lot of new words to my vocabulary. I didn't know what 'Up Yours' meant."  Big thumbs up

Then there was the kiss when the plaque was presented, that one had me on the floor!  Nuts

And the comments from former crewmates were cute.

"Just a little static discharge"
"You can put her down anytime now."

goingboeing

Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:55 pm

Here's what stood out for me in last nights episode

1. The passenger "Holly Hunter" should be given a free ticket as a "thank you"...it is very rare where a person ADMITS that they made a mistake, and willingly pays the additional amount to fly home early. As decent as she was to the agents, if I were a passenger, I would have given up my seat for her and taken a later flight. If all your customers were like her, your jobs would be easier. Unfortunatly, they're not. But thank you Holly, for showing the world that decent people really do exist.

2. I feel sorry for the baggage claim folks - the one guys bag had a small rip, and he could fix the frays in that nylon with a Bic lighter. The "very expensive" bag with "thousands of dollars" of clothing and toiletries looked like something that I'd be hard pressed to stuff $500 worth of clothing in. Having sold luggage for a time at Neiman Marcus, I can only say - don't buy Louis Vuitton to travel with...the baggage machines could care less if it's LV or a safeway bag. Both will tear.

3. The pilots retirement flight was great. The "salute" with the fire trucks was pretty cool. And Herb was Herb.

4. The agent helping to "clean" the man. IMHO, you could tell that even if cameras weren't there, he most likely STILL would have done it, judging from the comments about his mother. The man seemed truly compassionate.

5. The guy trying to pass the expired RR ticket. He was a pretty good con man until he got caught.

6. The lawyers - should have been sent home and let them file their lawsuit. The agent went above and beyond to accomodate them. "We will sue should have been met with "Then you'll need to talk to my attorney" from the agent. I believe that you should get what you give. That's what they should have got.

7. "I'll never fly Southwest again" comment from the baggage claim customer. Oh how I wish they could take names and have the res agents refuse to sell the ticket since they vowed "never" to fly them again. I've had poor service on some airlines, but I will never say "I'll NEVER fly you again". Because I might not be able to guarantee that. Don't say it if you don't mean it.

airlinebiznut

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:07 pm

I thought the Southwest executives coming to the retirement party was absolutely fantastic. It just shows how Southwest the employee was considered just as important to the Southwest operation and culture as management. Wow! I have heard that when Herb and the others come down the concourse employees say "Hey Herb" and run up and sometimes hug him. Herb also goes right up to crewmembers and other employees and says "hey yall!!!!!"

At AA, we would not feel so comfortable about approaching our "royalty". They are very unapproachable as they stare straight ahead or type into their Blackberries (there are a few exeptions) and try to distance themselves as much as possible ( I will not say more as we are trying to heal our relationship with managment). Herb would never do anything like that. I hope AA execs are watching!

[Edited 2004-01-20 14:11:30]

jblake1

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:14 pm

I thought last nights episodes were great. I couldn't help but notice that Herb couldn't go even a few minutes without lighting up a cigarette at the pilot's retirement party. Good ol' Herb smoking like a freight train!

EA CO AS

Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:30 pm

But I still think some of the agents they're showing still need to brush up on their customer service skills

The LAX baggage service agents definitely fit into that mold. Don't get me wrong; I know working in "lost and lost" is the worst gig to land when you're based at the airport, but they escalated things to the supervisors way too quickly.

The agents should take a bit more time to explain things to the customer and try to resolve the problem themselves before shrugging and saying, "Um, well, I can get a supervisor for you if you want one," before the customer has even asked for one. That essentially tells a customer you want them out of your hair ASAP, and it's not good service.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

airjampanam

Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:47 am

That guy with the "damaged" bag was borderline racist for referring the staff as "these people"!!!
Clearly he had no intention of listening to ANYTHING the African American women at that counter had to say.
He said it on more than one occasion
I loved it when the Supervisor presented herself and SHE was non-white!
I love it!!
How unreasonable was he?
The tear was ridiculously small.
As for the most expensive bag that was misplaced, I'm glad it showed up so THEY could be shown up.
They crawled out of that office eating crow!
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

BR715-A1-30

Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:58 am

Did you hear the background music playing for the guy with the ripped bag... HILARIOUS!!!! Slow, Western type, Clint Eastwood type music.
Puhdiddle

PIA777

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:07 am

I think its a cool show. Alot like "Airport" on Wings channel.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

Danny

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:13 am

Yesterday one showed SWA in very positive way. I was really happy to see how supervisor handled this old man with Alzheimer. I may even start flying Southwest  Big grin

PIA777

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:14 am

There was also another episode where a guy in a wheel chair was trying to check in a rifle and SWA gave him a hard time and he got real upset. Then he goes, "DO I LOOK LIKE AN ARAB"? Now that is racist. He also mentioned that he worked for a congressman.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

PIA777

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:17 am

Danny,

I agree, He went way above and beyond his job. I was impressed.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

Bicoastal

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:43 am

Cameras seem to be a great motivator for most on this show. I wonder if Herb and Colleen would have appeared had A&E not been there? I think the Supervisor who "cleaned" the Alzheimer's guy, would have used better judgment had he called a medical professional. Something else could have been wrong with the guy and they let him on a plane later without knowing if the guy would do it to himself again in flight. It made for good TV, though.

By the same token, some of the customer service agents seem oblivious to the cameras and don't appear to be putting their best face/foot forward. As someone already posted, the baggage service people seemed pretty cold. I can't recall them even trying to clearly and articulately explain the baggage policy and the contract of carriage. Sure, the passengers were jerks, but the CSAs weren't helping the matter by not explaining the policies clearly. They never explained that the man "approved" the contract of carriage when he purchased his ticket. Luggage will never stay in pristine condition. As much as I travel, I buy one or two new bags each year.

With the obvious exceptions of the con artist and the folks in baggage service, a better class of people were featured in last night's episode. Congrats to that! But, I haven't change opinion.

And for Herb's death sticks....are you tired of living ,buddy? Time to quit smoking. You look like death warmed over. Hmmm, I wonder if he was in an "approved smoking area" at the Phoenix airport?
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos