Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ACB777
Topic Author

LAX Questions - Pls Help!

Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:10 pm

In March, I'm taking a cruise from Los Angeles and back. After leaving the ship after the ship comes back to Los Angeles, I'll be taking a bus to LAX and I'll be at the airport by 9 or 10 am. My outbound flight back to YVR on AC doesn't leave until 5:15 pm. So first, at LAX, what is the maximum of hours prior to departure can I check in a bag for an AC flight? Second, since I'll be there for so long, I'm thinking of going to downtown Los Angeles. Is there a subway or some other easy and fast way to get to downtown Los Angeles? Or will I be too tight on time go to downtown Los Angeles? Is there anything nice and fast to do in downtown Los Angeles? So anyways, what is there to do at LAX for such a long time? Last time I ate lunch for two hours, walked around and looked around stores 2 hours, and I still had time so I just sat at the gate! I was really, really bored.

deltaflyertoo

RE: LAX Questions - Pls Help!

Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:16 pm

Go to Downtown LA? NO way dude...thats crazy... there's nothing to do there and it borders on total ghetto..

I would recomend taking the LOT C bus to the bus Depot. You can catch a BIg Blue Bus upto Venice or Santa Monica and have lunch and be back in time to get your flight...

ramprat74

Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:25 pm

Downtown LA is not like Robson St in YVR. I would go to Santa Monica, and check out the pier.

PER744

Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:32 pm

LAX isn't the best airport to be stuck at for a long period of time. As for checking in, you shouldn't have any problems, I checked in for an AA flight at SFO in September at 10am for a 5pm flight. (Different airline and different airport, but I imagine the same principle applies)

For those curious about my early check-in, I was flying IND-MDW-SFO on TZ and SFO-LAX-SYD-PER on AA/QF that day, and all of my friends in the Bay Area were out of town. I wandered around for a bit, went from terminal to terminal on the train, ate and then retreated to the Admiral's Club for about 5 hours.

Skydrol

Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:38 pm

Or as an alternate, ask to store your luggage at the cruise terminal and spend a few hours in Long Beach instead of going straight to LAX. Lots of great restaurants, Queen Mary, Lane Victory, shops... more than enough to fill the time. Free shuttle bus from the Long Beach (Queen Mary) cruise terminal into downtown Long Beach. With frequent shuttle bus service to the airport ($15 to $20 /person ?)

Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:48 pm

Last time I had a half-day to waste, I took the MTA #232 bus from the Airport Transit Center down to the Redondo Beach pier, and went whale watching. Boats go out for just a couple hours. There's also a 20 pax speedboat that travels down the coast to Point Vicente palisades and back again.

Or,

You can rent an econobox from one of the airport rent-a-car lots (two hour minimum) and run down I-405, past Long Beach Airport to John Wayne Airport. It's an 80 mile (128 kilometer) round-trip that'll take three hours.

Or,

With the same econobox, drive down to Detweiler State Beach -- behind LAX -- or tour the 'beach cities' from Los Angeles south to Rancho Palos Verde. The cliffside drive from there to Point Vicente and around to San Pedro (with Santa Catalina Island off in the distance) is spectacular.

Or,

With the same econobox, drive north up the Pacific Coast Highway, through Malibu Beach, to the "hoodoos," The sandstone sentinels off the coast at Point Magu -- make a u-turn, and come back. Take a break in Malibu to 'see and be seen'.

All these ideas depend on good weather, of course.

A330Fan1

Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:11 pm

Yo!

Since your departure is at 5:15, you should be at LAX by 3 PM I would say, to be safe...so, you'd have about 5 hours to do stuff...I think you should go out of town, not to downtown LA (to me, it's not very nice), but maybe Sherman Oaks or Santa Monica, and just have a relaxing lunch at a restaurant, walk around for 1 or 2 hours, get ice cream or a drink, and head back...but not downtown, hehe, it's just like any other big city  Insane...hope I was helpful!

-A330Fan1

CV990

Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:42 pm

Hi!

Yeah, downtown LA is not worth of it! If you like airplanes and because you're not a citizen of USA you can pass a fun time whatching airplanes there. I'm sure that you'll see a lot of airlines that you don't see in Canada. If you want to leave LAX plese have in mind that the traffic in rush hour is crazy there! If you arrive at 10 am it's just after rush hour ( maybe, I don't know, it looks that LA is always at rush hour.... ) but it will take you at least 1 hour to get anywhere, then it will take another hour at least to return to LAX, so my advice is, just stick around LAX and enjoy the traffic!!! I flew from LAX last December, I drove from Fresno to LAX and arrived at the airport at 11:30, it took me about 1:30 to check-in, then I had some lunch ( terrible prices, terrible prices... ) and when right away to my gate. My plane left at 16:10 but we boarded 30 minutes earlier, during those 3 hours I saw a lot of stuff and the time passed really fast, so for me with just 7 hours in LA spotting at LAX is a great option!
regards and have a great time!

RyDawg82

Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:58 pm

Minor correct the beach by LAX is Dockweiler State Beach...
Honestly follow the advice, take the C bus from curbside to the C lot/City Bus Depot. Catch the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus (departures almost every 10-15 minutes). Jump off near the pier, enjoy all that is offered in the area including the boardwalk at Venice.

Enjoy
Ryan

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:16 pm

Ryan,

Sorry. The Detweilers live down the block.  Smile

Worldperks

jcs17

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:56 pm

Worst case scenario: Just go to the top of the parking deck across from the Tom Bradley Int'l terminal and watch planes all day  Smile . No, seriously, there is 95% chance that the weather in Los Angeles will be unbelieveable when you are there--warm, light winds, sunny, no humidity, and just being outside is enjoyable. If I happen to layover in LAX for several hours, that is where you'll find me.  Smile

sprxflySWA

Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:49 am

Jcs17,
That is my favorite place at LAX, too, when I am down there.
I enjoy watching all of the aircraft, as well as the auto traffic down below. Listening to all the honks and seeing all the near-misses by car rental buses.
That and the Coke machines right there make my day.
I always like to note that of all the autos I'd see, there were rarely any POS cars, always newer,dent free,uniform color!

ACB777
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:41 am

I'd love to go plane spotting, but my family would get sooooo bored doing that! Thanks for all your help...Santa Monica seems like a good place!

hailstone

Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:24 am

ho about the jp getty museum ? anybody from LAX care to comment if that makes sense from a timing point of view ?

aaway

Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:59 am

Hailstone,
Unless he's renting a car...the answer is NO to the Getty. By bus, probably 1 and-a-half hours both ways. The Getty is a wonderful place. I'd say allow more time for a visit there.
The best suggestions posted are the the bus ride to Venice and Santa Monica.

RicardoMexico

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:43 am

Hi ACB777,
I was in a similar situation at LAX a few years ago, and did not have a good experince:
I met a friend in Los Angeles, his flight departed at 10:00 AM and mine was scheduled to depart at about 17:30. My flight was LAX-MX), Mexico">MEX with AM. We had rented a car, so I decided to take him to the airport, then I did check in with out any problem, then I took the car and went driving to Santa Monica area, I stayed there for a while, when I returned to LAX there was a big traffic jam, incredible, even for me that live in Mexico City where the traffic is terrible also. I do not remember how much I was in the traffic, and I still had to get the car back. I did not got to finish on time. Then I went to AM counters and they told me that there was no more AM flights scheduled to MX), Mexico">MEX to leave that day!!! So I thought, I lost the flight, now I had to stay over night....but fortunately, the AM girl told me that MX had other flights to MX), Mexico">MEX for that day, so she asked me to go MX counters and see if there was any chance that they take my AM ticket...and it worked, they could take my ticket, but the flight was at midnight!!! ...... and they asked me to stay there at 20:00 to do my change. What do you tink? funny situation, isn it? anyway this time I stayed there walking all the terminals and get bored for a while while I was waiting until midnight to board my plane to MX), Mexico">MEX.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Paulsen

BN747

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:31 am

As many have said ..don't bother with downtown LA. It's like being in downtown Cleveland..well it's a little better than that.. with a much bigger skyline (it;s like we stole 6 city blocks from NYC) LA's downtown is not as cosmopolitan as NYC, Chicago or San Francisco. But the world-renown fashion district is right there and there's a sh*tload of business with all kinds of stuff on sale. You can take the LAX shuttle bus to the Greenline metro-station (15 mins) and be in downtown LA in 20 mins or so MAX and back.

But I'd suggest you take a taxi to Beverly Hills (if you catch a SuperShuttle guy going that way it'll be cheaper). BUT tell the driver to go there via the Howard Hughes Expwy to the 405 and exit National Blvd to Overland to Olympic and into Beverly Hills (draw a map from mapquest.com) this route takes 30 mins in traffic and 45-1 hour in the worst of traffic either way.(during the LA Riots this very route took me 2 hours....and the city was at a complete standstill/total gridlock!) I drive this route damn near everyday! You can cruise all over the Beverly Hills shopping district and there's even the new Television/Motion Picture museum in the middle of it all and you can easily find a number of great places to eat/drink without spending a fortune (no McDonalds or fast food places....but there is a Johnny Rockets! If you have time go to the Beverly Center ( it's just a giant Mall , seen one...seen them all!) about 15 minutes away but a lot can be seen in a short span of time. And you will see a celebrity or two if that kinda thing works for you.

Santa Monica -- the 3rd Street Prominade easily 30 mins away. Or as one post suggest the nearby Beach Cities-- Hermosa Beach, Mahattan Beach right on Pacific Coast Highway just south of the airport. BUT DO NOT go to Malibu....on snag on the PCH....and you are screwed and tattooed!

Enjoy our great city!
Have fun and Good luck!

BN747

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:56 pm

"BUT DO NOT go to Malibu....or snag on the PCH....and you are screwed and tatooed!"

You've got to be kidding!

Okay . . . traffic on the PCH through Santa Monica can be a bit much sometimes. But I've done the drive up to Point Zuma and back a dozen times. The worst thing that ever happened was once when a black Volvo shot out of a canyon sideroad without looking -- on the front seat was a TV person with the initials P.A. and a friend and a bunch of kids in the rear.

And that was worth the drive.  Smile

F9Fan

Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:24 pm

You could take a shuttle from LAX to the Green Line. Take the Green Line to the transfer with the Blue Line, and then take the Blue Line into downtown LA. However, I would not recommend this since this passes through some of the most dangerous neighborhoods anywhere on Earth. Do you remember the riots after the Rodney King verdict in 1992? These neighborhoods were the epicenter of the riots. When you get to downtown LA, there won't be anything to do or see, especially if it is a weekend.

Check with the shore excursion desk on board your ship. They may have special tours of LA that will drop you off right at the airport leaving plenty of time for you to catch your flight.

F9Fan

BN747

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:23 pm

CV990,

I managed your take off shots and you've never indicated whether you wanted them or not.

BN747

frontiers4ever

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:44 pm

When I flew United a couple of weeks ago it was no more than 4 hours prior to departure. But I certainly was fun being in the airport for 4 hours.

-Frontiers4ever

aaway

Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:42 am

"However, I would not recommend this since this passes through some of the most dangerous neighborhoods anywhere on Earth...

F9Fan,
Absolute HYPERBOLE!!!

BN747

Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:40 am

You've got to be kidding!

Okay . . . traffic on the PCH through Santa Monica can be a bit much sometimes. But I've done the drive up to Point Zuma and back a dozen times. The worst thing that ever happened was once when a black Volvo shot out of a canyon sideroad without looking -- on the front seat was a TV person with the initials P.A. and a friend and a bunch of kids in the rear.

And that was worth the drive.

Worldperks, it's always worth drive....Except when you have LAX in the equation...or any airport. There's nothing I love more than cruising up/down PCH on a beautiful day. The best time drive north? Any day of the week except between the hours of 4pm-7/8pm. And south ..the am hours. The weekends are hit and miss...holidays are a zoo!

But for someone visiting and pressed for time this not a wise idea. There's always some assclown making an ridiculous and illegal U-turn (usually someone heading north and deciding they've seen enough and then trying to head back south) that gets creamed and end up shutting shutdown part or the entire southbound lanes. Once in that predicament....you are screwed if you need to get south in a hurry! And you are really screwed if you are north of Sunset Blvd (at Gladstones) when it happens, because after that point...you are now north of the Santa Monica Mountains and in 'The Valley'! If you are able to successfully crossover. And once you do so...you have no idea what might be waiting for you on the 101 and 405 interchange enroute to LAX.

BN747

Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:16 am

BN747

Touche!

Worldperks

ACB777
Topic Author

Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:16 am

Ok I've talked to my family and we've decided to go to Santa Monica! So lets say I want to take the Blue Bus. Where exactly from LAX can I get on a bus to the bus depot? Whats the number of that bus? Then, at the bus depot, what is the number of the blue bus that I will go on to Santa Monica? Also, how long will this journey take?

HNLFlyBoy

Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:54 pm

ACB777 rent a car and drive up to Santa Monica. You can easily take surface streets up from LAX and avoid the freeways altogether. You will get a great chance to see more of the city taking surface streets anyway. I lived in El Segundo for many years and still go back. I avoid taking the freeways up to the West Side (Santa Monica, etc.) at all costs, since you never know what the traffic is going to be like. You may also have time to see Marina Del Rey, which is just north of LAX and a very nice area. If you e-mail me, I can give you some hints on stuff to do.

kevin752

Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:07 pm

DO NOT GO TO DOWNTOWN. I have lived in Los Angeles my whole life and I rarely go there and I really do not like going there. Go to Long Beach or Santa Monica would be nice. As for the checkin time I can not help you with that since I never flown with AC before. Have a nice stay here in Los Angeles and a nice flight.

BN747

LAX Help Please

Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:51 pm

If Santa Monica is your choice, HNLFlyboy is right, seriously rent a car. But if you must take the bus ( I'm guessing here)... the Big Blue Bus (Santa Monica's bus line) most likely can be caught at Sepulveda Blvd or in Westchester near LMU [Loyola Marymount Univ near 96th Street I believe]--3-4 stops from the LOT C dropoff) , just adjacent to Terminal 1 (WN/HP/US). From any LAX Terminal take the free Parking Lot C bus and get off at the 1st stop (after exiting the airport), exit the lot and walk to Sepulveda Blvd (about 50 yards). The bus routes are posted (I see many people standing there as I drive the area). But be ready for this...the bus can go two routes 1) via Lincoln Blvd 2) via Sepulveda and later Centinela. The 1st route should be the quickest, it passes through Westchester (the Big Blue is caught here and may be your 3rd bus transfer), Marina Del Rey,Venice and finally Santa Monica. Given the stops...this has to take at least an hour plus some and even then you will have to change to a 3rd or 4th bus (most likely at Lincoln and Washington Blvd) or at Lincoln and Venice Blvd) to get to the 3rd Street Promenade. I don'y know how anyone can do this because the number of stops must be around 20 by the time you arrive. The 2nd route pulls further away from the beach by going through western LA and Culver City in addition to the other cities listed above. On the return, which could be 90 minutes plus check-in time..you maybe pushing ot a bit, but that's what you face. Renting a car in this case, is by far, the best suggestion!

FYI, the 3rd Street Promenade is the #1 attraction in Santa Monica, it is 3 blocks from Santa Monica Beach and pier. Also loaded with tourists which is what you want. It's very safe and friendly. But outside this area there is really not much else to see in Santa Monica as it is mostly a residential community.

Good luck

BN747

HNLFlyBoy

Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:03 pm

BN747, I was thinking, if they rent a car, maybe they should go up and have lunch at the Brentwood Country Mart, over on 24th(?) and San Vincente? That's really easy to get to, especially if they are going to be in Santa Monica. Otherwise, there is TONS of stuff on the Promenade, to see and to eat. Have fun in LA. If they had more time there, I would send them down to Newport Beach and that area.

Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:46 am

Just to help out ACB777:

The Big Blue Buses are exactly that. They are indigo-colored transit vehicles with "Big Blue Bus" painted on the side in white letters and Santa Monica Transit somewhere (in real small letters -- some ad agency's idea). It runs from the MTA Green Line rail station at Aviation and Imperial Blvds. (where LAX parking lot B is) to the Airport Transit Center on 96th Street (where LAX parking lot C is) and then up Lincoln Boulevard, past Playa del Mar (a colorful cliffside community) through Venice, and into Santa Monica. You will have to transfer to another bus on Olympic or Pico or Washington or Venice Blvds to actually get to the beachside communities, the boardwalk, or the Promenade.

So you can reach any transit bus by standing by the "Parking Shuttle" sign on the lower level of the airport and taking any of the free (white with blue and yellow stripes) LAX Parking Shuttles.

Btw, under no circumstances take the "Big Green Bus" since that will take you to Culver City and Howard Hughes Center -- a shopping mall as large as a small city.

Also, just so you know, all Los Angeles (city and county) transit vehicles are white with a yellow cheatline. And the one marked Long Beach does not go to Long Beach Airport, but rather to downtown Long Beach city.

[Edited 2004-01-23 16:46:44]

BN747

Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:22 am

X'lent choice HNLFlyboy, as unique of an area that is it is abit further north than they may want to go. The Promenade as you stated offers much for for visitors. If he does get a car that would be a good idea. Newport is too....but traffic really does become a (freeway) problem because you now are solely dependent on the 405 alone at this point. But the idea alone to 'bus it' to Santa Monica is a big pill to swallow..why would anyone want put their family through all that!

BN747

HNLFlyBoy

Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:49 am

ABC777, take my advice and that of BN747, get a car. Trust us on this one. You and your family will be much happier and it is far more reliable than taking mass transit. There is a reason why everyone in LA has a car and avoid the mass transit system at all costs, it's because it sucks. Knowing that you have to be back at LAX at a certain time to catch a flight, I just wouldn't do it on the bus. Besides, I think you would spend more of your day on the bus than you would enjoying what you want to see. Go to the Promenade. It's a one stop for food, shopping and fun. Drive through Marina Del Rey on the way back and if time permits, stop and see the boats. Just make sure you allow yourself enough time to return your car and get back to the terminal. Traffic on Lincoln can be bad sometimes, but NOTHING like the 405 at any time of day.

BN747 thoughts?

ACB777
Topic Author

Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:52 am

Hi,
About renting the car, I know its a good idea, but my family doesn't seem like they want to pay for it! How much are the rates? And also, since we in Vancouver Canada, my family would have no clue how to get anywhere in LA, even when they look at maps. This is probably because LA has so many freeways everywhere. Even when we go to Seattle we get lost even with a map!

BN747

Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:36 pm

HNLFlyboy I totally agree (except some..not all of us natives know how to 'take the advantage of the freeways -- by that I mean most natives here are accustomed to just getting on the freeway no matter what..that attitude just doesn't work for me in the slightest! [there's no way I have that kind of time] I know the odds of certain freeways as to when they are most likely to be 'in park' and when they are most likely to be flowing..and 9.9 out of times I'm right on the money [when I'm not..I know the side streets well enought to escape]! And it took some time to get the system down..but it's doable) I go into a great detail about this in the 'California Dreaming thread' in the non-aviation forum. But back to the subject.

I just looked at ACB777's profile and realized he's probably not the one deciding how things are going to go re: their layover here (I apologize ACB777 if I'm wrong about this) however, if the bus is a must! Follow the examples above in order to get it right.

But if by chance the decision maker is persuaded to get a rental car. Go online to the LAX website 'lawa.org' or whatever you can find and view the list of car rental agencies off the airport. There are a slew of them! You should be able to get a rate from $16.00 to 25.00 (tops)a day for a car...don't tell them you need it for just 5 hours..just book it for the a full 24 hours. There's no penalty for returning it earlier..but you'll get no discount by saying we only need for 4-5 hours. But it's best to book it all online and in advance. Alamo might be your best choice (they pick you up at the terminal and return you). Secondly, if you do this ...just stay away from the freeways...to get to Santa Monica..you don't need them. All you need to know is get Lincoln Blvd-to-Washington Blvd (left)-to Pacific Ave (right - passes right thru Venice beach) into Santa Monica..when you see the pier and the ocean you are at the center of Santa Monica and 1st, 2nd and 3rd streets (the 3rd Street Promenade) the whole area from that point is all touristy and a very scenic area. Just park, walk and have fun. When finished just retrace the routes and you're back at LAX. Given the time of day ACB777 has specified for his layover, they should have about 4 solid hours to enjoy the best of Santa Monica and the beach (caution:the time will zip right by you)! Just don't get any parking tickets...it'll cost more than your car rental charge..and bring the car back full (gas) that'll probably cost you about $5.00 bucks over such a short trip. Best of luck!

BN747