Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United777
Topic Author

Hawaii-Seattle A Hot Market?!?

Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:07 pm

Does anybody think the Seattle-Hawaii market is over-served by Hawaiian Airlines and Northwest Airlines. Hawaiian Airlines will increase it's flights from Hawaii to Seattle to three daily flights from Honolulu and Maui. Northwest Airlines also offers two daily flights from Honolulu and Maui to Seattle.

That is five daily flights from Hawaii to Seattle. I know this must be a hot market if Hawaiian Airlines is increasing flights but is there a big demand even in the summer months when Seattle residents don't need to get away from the cold and rainy weather.

Also, is there any plans for NW to replace the routes with the A332 or 753 on the Seattle-Honolulu/Maui routes.

Farhan Ali
Seattle, USA

HNLFlyBoy

RE: Hawaii-Seattle A Hot Market?!?

Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:19 pm

I will wait to see how this thread develops before I add my comments....anybody else want to go first?

nwa man

Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:45 pm

Don't forget about ATA's SEA-HNL 753 service.

I can't speak about Hawaiian's routes, but NW's flights to the Aloha State are not purely O&D... pax connect at SEA from MEM, DTW, MSP, and AMS, plus Alaska's network, which feeds their flights. Yes, I know MSP and DTW have their own daily flights to HNL, but often times, pax from the hub cities are routed through Seattle.

N-Dub

Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:14 pm

There will be six daily flights between Seattle and Hawaii, not to mention several others via YVR:

Northwest: HNL (DC10), OGG (DC10)
Hawaiian: HNL (2xB763), OGG (B763)
ATA: (B752)

- - -

Don't forget about ATA's SEA-HNL 753 service.
It's a B752  Big grin.

I can't speak about Hawaiian's routes, but NW's flights to the Aloha State are not purely O&D... pax connect at SEA from MEM, DTW, MSP, and AMS, plus Alaska's network, which feeds their flights. Yes, I know MSP and DTW have their own daily flights to HNL, but often times, pax from the hub cities are routed through Seattle.

NW's SEA-HNL is pretty much O/D -- its early morning departure time means there's no way to connect from DTW/MSP/MEM/AMS. AS feeds a handful of passengers onto NW's flight, but they also feed numerous HA flights as well. For example, AS had the the lowest price SEA-HNL in March -- flights connected on HA via AS / KLAS), USA - Nevada">LAS (which seems a bit odd, yes). In another month, AS has the lowest fare in EWR -- and passengers connect onto HA's SEA flight (which I didn't think they coded).

TZ offers one-stop, same-plane service MDW-HNL via SEA... this will open up its entire network to HNL service. In addition, I believe TZ is or will be selling a block of seats per flight to Pleasant Holidays.

- - -

Is the SEA-HNL market overserved? Consider: NW/HA operated this route with nearly 900 seats each way for more than ten years... due to different equipment/equipment configurations and flight increases/decreases, there will be slightly more than 950 seats between NW/HA/TZ shortly -- a modest growth & a wash when you consider that Pleasant Holidays will attract consumers who wouldn't otherwise travel to Hawaii.

SEA-OGG, on the other hand, has went from 0 to 530 seats in just a few years... well NW is feeding its entire network via SEA to OGG, HA relies on O/D traffic. Does OGG really warrant all this traffic from SEA?

The short answer: I believe Hawaii is slightly overserved from SEA.

- - -

Also, is there any plans for NW to replace the routes with the A332 or 753 on the Seattle-Honolulu/Maui routes.

This question comes up all the time... a dozen DC-10 or so -- mostly newer frames built in the mid-to-late 1980s -- are being retained for resort services, a la HNL. But it's likely 753 will take over SEA-HNL/OGG by year's end...

HALFA

Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:29 pm

HAL's press release stated that the 2nd daily SEA-HNL flight will be seasonal. The current daily HAL flight is booked solid almost daily as is the flight to Maui.
I should know, I work these flights often.

Aloha

ramprat74

Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:04 pm

When you don't see the sun for 9 months up here in the Northwest. Hawaii seems like a great place for a vacation. I don't see a need for all those flights in the summer though.

COAB767

Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:29 pm

I just read another post and I hear NW is going to use the 753 to HNL/OGG from SEA come June. not sure though

HAL

Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:24 am

As a (furloughed) pilot for Hawaiian, and a 20+ year resident of Seattle, I can say for certain that the busiest time between Hawaii and Seattle is the summer. People here just can't get away for a long vacation during the school year so June through August is the busiest time for travel. Yes, it can be beautiful here too in summer, but there have been some summers that seem cool and damp too. It's a crap shoot, so people go ahead and book travel to Hawaii for the summer anyway.

Which in my mind makes it a little strange that HA will pull the extra plane from SEA to HNL in May, just when we're building to the busiest time of the year, and use it for the SYD service. It would be better if they could keep that flight running and lease a new plane for SYD. But then again, I'm not management.

HAL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos