Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

na

RE: 9/11 AA 11 Phone Calls Released

Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:16 am

I´m surprised how calm the F/A was.

That day I´ll never forget.

My whole company stopped working, watching TV in the conference rooms or in private office rooms. When I came home my wife told me her uncle is working as a lawyer just a few blocks away from the WTC. She tried to reach him all night, but all lines to NYC were busy. Around two in the night she finally had his wife on the phone, telling that he passed the desaster scenery by feet trying to save his son who was in school on the other side of the WTC. Both came through unharmed.
But my wife´s uncle suffered a heart attack later that night, fortunately not fatal.
And I lost my job 3 months later because at that time I was relying on airline and travelcompany-clients.

airjampanam

Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:32 am

NYC never has, and never will forget all the events of 9/11.
As I traveled shortly after 9/11 people would constantly ask and express sympathy when they heard where I lived.
I had to deal with the raw emotion of that horrible day over and over.
Most New Yorkers will tell you that gaping hole in the sky downtown exists also in our minds and hearts for ALL who lost loved ones on that dark day.
I say this not to overlook Washington DC or Pennsylvania but that flight attendant couldn't possibly have know how that flight would have ended.
She was still dammed calm.
I thank her family for allowing us this glimpse.
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

tristarenvy

Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:42 am

Like most everyone else, I was at work, that morning, trading e-mail with a friend in the military. One of my co-workers stuck her head into my studio, and said something about a plane hitting the WTC. I, like I'll bet most folks who didn't have a TV at work, assumed it was some small plane, probably doing traffic reports or what ever.
We still were not aware it was an airliner, not a Cessna sized aircraft, and the radio news folks were making it sound pretty scary. About that time, the internet seemed to go into 1/8th speed. I tried to go to the various news websites, but couldn't get anyplace. My coworkers and I tried to find a TV in our office complex, when it was reported that the second plane had hit the tower. Then there were (thankfully wrong)reports of The White House being hit, and possible other planes hitting things. The Pentagon was attacked,the crash in Pennsylvania was reported, and some of the news people we were listening to, claimed that there were several more aircraft unaccounted for, and more attacks could be moments away.
President Bush was just south of us, at a school, and when it became apparent that this was no accident, so my coworkers and I really started to get worried. I called my wife about possibly going to get our kids from school, but the local news advised that it would be better, for now, not to do that. Granted Florida is a LONG way from where it all was happening, but we have Macdill AFB here, and The President was nearby, so a little worry was to be expected.

My deepest memory is the drive home from the office about 1/2 hour after the WTC collapsed. Just watching the faces of the drivers of the few cars on the road. Pure shock. I now understand what that looks like when my parents talk about that November day in '63, when Kennedy was killed, or December 1941, after the Pearl harbor attack.

[Edited 2004-01-29 18:43:42]
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

commander_rabb

Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:18 am

If you have ever wondered why the United States is in places like Iraq, Afghanistan and an assorted other places around the globe, it is because we in the U.S. Government never want this to happen to good people like Betty "Bee" Ong ever again.

AA767400

Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:44 am

Sorry Commander_Rabb, But the U.S. government is not over there for that reason. Unfortunately terrorism will happen again, even if the U.S.
government went to war or not. In fact, because they did go to war, it will only add fuel to the fire. Our troops are there giving their lives, for a war that should not have been.
"The low fares airline."

ScottishLaddie

Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:23 am

Shocking. I still remember, how could I forget, coming in from school to images of the WTC collapsing. I thought it was a film. To this day I can't watch the footage of the planes hitting, it is just too much. I just can't imagine what it must have been like to have been on one of the flights or to have been working in the WTC and seeing an airliner heading straight for you. It just doesn't bear thinking about.

.RIP to all who lost their lives on that day.

CanadianPilot

Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:40 am

jetbluefan1

Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:38 am

I was watching ABC news on Tuesday and I was extremely surprised when I heard the tape. I thought that all that footage would have been lost - I forgot about the AA emergency center where they also have tapes.

I was even more surprised about how calm Ms. Ong was. I cannot even imagine being on a hijacked flight - let alone being calm about it. I really could not believe that they used mace and didn't use machine guns - I would have thought that they would have killed everyone first then go in and fly the plane.

There's no word to explain how terrifying that tape is. I still can't believe that 9/11 happened - it hasn't sunk in yet, and I've been to NYC a million times since then. My prayers go out to the families of the victims who suffered on that horrible day.

JetBluefan1 - who's life has had a sort of 'gloom' ever since that day in mid-September

aerlingusa330

Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:51 am

I also see Clinton under the search "Worst President" at Google....also in "Sex in oval office" at Google.

Let's not forget anyone. "Heroes" or not. Let's remember and honor everybody who died and was involved in any way with the events of September 11th. The United States of America is the greatest country in the world and everyone should be extremely pround to be an American.
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

NIKV69

Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:05 am

We DO honor these people, why must it brought up all the time? Every time something in the media surfaces we have to have a big thing about how they are not getting honored. Let these poor souls rest. The media and government have no right to release this stuff. Its morbid and its exploitation..

Enough already..
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

NoBoeingNoGoin

Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:07 pm

Does anyone know if and when the tapes will be played again?
Thanks

F9Fan

Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:58 pm

I heard the excerpts on MSNBC and I can't believe how calm Ms. Ong was. She was definitely calm and professional in the face of grave danger. It is a testament to the good training she received to handle this emergency. She was definitely heroic in getting the word out about what was happening, even though it would turn out to be too late.

I remember the events of 9/11 as sharply as I remember what I did today. I work for the Defense Department, and I just finished reading a speech by Secretary Rumsfeld when a co-worker came in and said that a plane crashed into the WTC. I tried to bring up CNN, MSNBC, and AP, but nothing came up. I finally brought up The Denver Post, where they had coverage of the events. I saw a picture of the fireball of the second plane striking the WTC, and then all hell broke loose. I remember reading about a car bomb at the State Department in DC, and also heard something about a plane hitting the Pentagon. At first, they said it crashed into the helipad, but then I saw something on the Washington Post's website about the Pentagon collapsing. Then I heard about a plane crashing in Pennsylvania. By that time, every one of my co-worker's loved ones was calling and asking what we were still doing there, They eventually sent us all home. I remember how clear the sky looked that afternoon.

Godspeed to those we lost that day and their families  Crying

F9Fan

CanadianPilot

Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:49 pm

Not sure when they will be played again.....but here is a link if you want to download them!

Jet Thrust.com Downloads Section

CP

thvgjp

Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:26 pm

All I must say is we must and never forget what happened on this day, I myself lost 2 friends that day in the WTC, My brother was involved in the rescue and recovery for months after and then went to Afganistan for 6 months. God only knows how it affected him mentally. Remember this feeling you have when listening to these tapes when you vote in November. Personally I can care less why we are in Iraq, it had to be done. Iraq has been a thorn in our side for years, Clinton attacked based on the same reasons as Bush, everybody said it was to deflect attention from Sexgate, who cares it had to be done. The only way to deal with these terrorists is to send them to their "god" allah with a good swift kick in the ass. Just like Isreal is doing, The spread of fanatical Islam based on terrorism will spread unless stopped. We must as a nation stop this divisive politicizing of why we went into Iraq and so on, we did it had to be done, a nation now knows freedom and hopefully democracy so get over it.

Glen

Moolies

Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:19 am

I agree support Bush. Lets give them a taste of their own medicine, then they run like cowards. People were happily living their lives until the superior race decided to get rid of infidels. Also the suicide bombings in the Gaza strip that a 22 year old mother says I want my body parts to fly. Those people are deranged.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos