Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dmerinop
Topic Author

Become A Pilot - Training

Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:42 am

Hi everyone,

This thread is about pilot training and the cost of it.
Aer Lingus is one airline that I know for sure that they train there own pilots for free. It´s called "Cadet Programme" and if you go thru all interviews, medical requirements, etc... you´re in for free and you sign a contract for 7 years with Aer Lingus and if you leave before 7 years, you pay the cost of your training period.
Did anyone do this with Aer Lingus or is in the process of it???
Is there any other airline that does a similar thing to Aer Lingus according to pilot training???
Hope to hear from everyone!

Regards,
Dani  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

NIKV69

RE: Become A Pilot - Training

Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:11 am

That is a SWEET deal. I would take that in a heartbeat..I will be learning to fly Pipers in the spring to learn. The Aer Lingus deal is better!!
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

flymia

Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:11 am

wish some airlines in America did that! to bad. I want to go to Gulfstream Flight School. And fly Continental Connection after only 250 hours.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

jhooper

Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:43 pm

I want to go to Gulfstream Flight School. And fly Continental Connection after only 250 hours.

Be careful, it's easy to get screwed on that road!
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

JAL777

Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:55 pm

I want to go to Gulfstream Flight School. And fly Continental Connection after only 250 hours.

Well I sure as hell won't be flying Continental Connection anytime soon.

flymia

Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:58 pm

What do u mean Jhooper. What stories have you heard about that really want to know all the facts if you can Thanks!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

jutes85

Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:11 pm

I beleive that Singapore Airlines and another airline in that region also provides the same sort of program.
nothing

PA34plt

Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:14 pm

FLYmia:
Go to gulfstream and you will be hated by all other airline pilots. Let this be a lesson to those of you out there that think buying the right seat is ok, it's not. It's called PFT or pay for training. You're paying for a job that somebody who truly earned it should have. And by the way, a first officer at gulfstream gets 8 bucks an hour.

PA34plt

Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:16 pm

One more thing, you are only guaranteed 250hours of first office, SIC time. They let a lot of the PFT'ers go because they don't need them. And let me tell you: at 500hours total time and 250 sic turbine, you will not get picked up by another airline. SIC time means almost nothing, especially at only 500hours.

NIKV69

Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:25 pm

Hey I fly Co Connection!! Wow 8 bucks an hour, that's bad.

90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

PA34plt

Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:28 pm

8/hr for the guys that do the pft that is, i believe it is 13/hr for their real pilots first year.

flymia

Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:29 pm

Then besides for Military whats the best way to get training and hours
i mean i would like to go to a corporate airline first. That would be nice. But then were do i get the atleast what like 700 hours you need probaly to applie to FO on a Cessna Citation or maybe just 500 for a king air. I really dont know. Can some one help me with my questions? Thank you!

jutes85

Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:35 pm

If you can go with military, go with military, other then that in today's world, it is almost imposible, unless you're parents are rich so they can pay for your college and flight hours.
nothing

osu_av8or

Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:50 pm

Flymia,

Given the condition of the market, your chances of finding an FO job on a citation or King Air with less than 1,000 hours are slim. If you know the right people, then you're ahead of the game, but otherwise you'll end up hunting for time like the rest of us. Most people flight instruct to build up hours, the lucky ones build up a great deal of multi-engine time pretty quickly, the unlucky ones end up working two jobs. I'm not trying to discourage you from your dream, quite the opposite. Two of our instructors were recently hired by a regional, and they are flying ERJ's now. On the other hand some of our instructors can't find jobs with more than 1200 total time and over 200 multi. I just hope you take a good, realistic look at what lies in store for you if you see your dream through. It's a lot of hard work, but it's also a lot of fun. Likewise, it's also a lot of money, and the return on investment is usually quite a few years down the road. Best of luck to you,

Jeff

skytrain

Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:50 pm

That's not encouraging  Sad

But unfortunately that seems to be the truth. I've been struggling with the same problem for a while too... and it seems that unless you have ALOT of money.. or you're lucky/know someone you've got quite a challenge ahead of you. It also doesn't seem to help that there is no single and absolute way of achieving your goals - everyone seems to have gone a different way or taken a different path. I guess the best thing to do is listen to everyone's advice and try and make the best choices for the situation that you're in - everyone's circumstances are different.

Keep the stories/advice coming!  Big thumbs up

Cheers - Skytrain.

pilotpip

Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:52 pm

Try at least 1200 total time to be considered. Most of the instructors that have been hired out of my flight school recently have had at least this and a ton of multi-engine time. I was looking through Air-Jobs Digest today and most corporate jobs that were listed in there were requiring upwards of 5000hrs total with at least 1000 in the specific type aircraft that they had. Not too hard to command in today's market.

Flymia, there are many other options for building time. Flight instruction, skydivers, banner towing, pipeline patrols and other options are much more feasable. Most airline pilots hired in the past few years didn't come from the airline ranks. If I were in your boat again, I'd do what I'm currently doing. Attend a 4 year university. Florida has a couple good aviation programs at Jacksonville, FIT, and ERAU off the top of my head. You'll have just as much time as you would paying Gulfstream Academy, and you'll learn much more about the industry, and the machines, the rules, which will make you a better pilot. Most airlines require a bachelor's degree now and if they don't, having one will put you a leg up on the competition that doesn't. Gulfstream gives no guarantees about work, just an interview. If you go to a respected aviation school, you will see many more opportunities. Many have established internships with airlines. Airlines also look to these schools for employees in positions such as ramp and gate agents. Not exactly flying but a great way to get your foot in the door. Regardless of what route you go, the first years are the hardest. You won't make much money and your flying will be anything but glamerous. If you want any specific information on this stuff email me.
DMI

Av8rDAL

Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:18 pm

Go to Doug Taylor's Jetcareers.com and you'll get all the information you need to become a pilot straight from the horses' mouths, as he himself is a Delta pilot and he has posted contributions from other ATPs as well.

Those ads you see in Flying magazine about ab-initio training, 250 hours to the cockpit of a 1900, guaranteed interview, airline owned and operated are nothing but marketing ploys. It's a long hard road, and if you take such advertisements seriously, you're in for a huge disappointment.

I'll be in your shoes soon. I'll be graduating college within a year and a half or so, hopefully going to flight school after I land a job. Every bit of it is going to be on my nickel, but I'm young and hungry for adventure  Smile

Persevere!

Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

N276AASTT

Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:53 pm

There is another school named Comair Aviation Academy located in Sanford FL near Orlando. It's training program is similar, but you do have to pay first. After your completed, you interview with Comair and can get picked up with them flying RJs with potential to upgrade to Delta.
Dejale Caer tu el Peso! YOMO

KaiGywer

Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:13 pm

If you don't mind winter, UND in GFK is a very good school. Here you will experience ALL kinds of weather, not only sunshine, so you will have quite a bit of actual IFR, which is a big plus, and they hire instructors from within. And while you are there, you can work the ramp for NW at either GFK or FAR (if you get a job of course). Their planes are in pristine condition and are all Piper Warrior 3s and Piper Seminole. When I was up there, they were trying to get a Piper Cheyenne certified as a turbine trainer, but I'm not sure if they ever did.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

LHSebi

Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:29 pm

Lufthansa has a similar program to AerLingus. You need to pass about 4 days' worth of medical, technical, and psychological tests. If you manage to do that, you are accepted into their flight school. The ATPL with LH takes 2 years, split between the university in Bremen where most of the theoretical stuff is done, and Phoenix, where most of the practical flying is done. LH takes care of the (I think 40,000€) training fee, and allows you to pay it back in small increments from your paycheck once you begin flying with them. I think that's how it goes with the fee...anyone who knows better please feel free to correct me. The nice thing with them is that after the two years, you begin straight away as a F/O on short-haul flights and gain tons of experience very quickly. Hopefully, after finishing my degree in University, I'll be accepted to this school, and I will soon be flying around the world, and getting paid for it!  Big thumbs up

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

teahan

Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:34 pm

Daniel,

I don't believe Aer Lingus are running their cadet-training scheme any longer. It was stopped post September 11th and a number of the final cadets got screwed (dropped mid-training etc.)

EasyJet is currently running a similar system in association with CTC McAlpine.

Jeremiah

Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

aviationfreak

Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:44 am

Somehow I can't see tread starters at all lately. How is that possible. Norton personal firewall or antivirus?

Can someone be so kind to post the tread starter as a reply?

Thanks in advance.

Sander the Aviationfreak
I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!

flymia

Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:52 am

Well i still have a while. If i go to a school in Florida like UF or FSU i get to go for free except for a few expentures. That means i keep my college funds. Which are atleast $40,000. Think that is enough to get all the training I need after my private which i hopefully will have by then to ATP. Does I was thinking about Delta Acadmey too. Better then Gulfstrem i think. But they dont give you your ATP. Do they. How many hours can you get if you go to there school? But I think i will end these questions on the fourm now (maybe) I think taking it one step at a time. Then i will start ti think about everything else. What do you guys think. But where do thoses insructors get the Twin and turbine time. Do they rent the planes or fly other instructors planes.
A great Instructor job would be to teach people how to fly Twins and Tubines. How many hours do you need for that. LOL!

dmerinop
Topic Author

Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:04 am

Hi again,

Thanks for every reply, a got a lot of new information.

Jeremiah,
How u doing? hey, I know AerLingus stopped doing the Cadet Programme post 9/11 but I heard rumours that they are going to re-start that training programm again because all the new A/C they´ve bought and the new routes they are starting.
This could be true I think, what do u think? What does everybody think?

Lufthansa´s training program sounds good too but you probably have to know german language so that putts me off.
Singapore Airlines sound very nice too, do you have to be a Singapore citizen or can anybody try to join in???

Anyway, keep sending information in, this is getting interesting. Thanks to everyone,

Dani  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

PA34plt

Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:25 pm

To N276AASTT and the rest of you that have looked at Comair Academy:
The facts: They will get you your ratings through CFI CFII and MEI, they however have to hire you to instruct for them before you are eligible for the "guaranteed" interview with a delta connection carrier. They hire aprox. 7-10% of all the CFI's they train.

jutes85

Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:29 pm

Take a look at Cathway Pacific, they have a very good cadet program.

Either way you cut it, your chances of becoming a pilot (airline pilot) in todays world is next to nothing. Unless you go into the Military or your parents have a lot of $$$, your future is a very tough and difficult one.

But you never know.
nothing

PA34plt

Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:00 pm

Jutes85, next to nothing? are you joking? A major airline pilot perhaps, but certainly not a regional pilot.

Chchflyer

Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:30 pm

Up until December it was possible to get full government funding for pilot training in New Zealand for those with NZ passports. They have now limited this to a certain number of places, basically limiting the funding to $6,500 per student per 52 week period. The loan has to be paid back and attracts interest at the market rate!

No New Zealand airline operates a Cadet Scheme.....

7574EVER

Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:37 pm

"your chances of becoming a pilot (airline pilot) in todays world is next to nothing." - Jutes85

How untrue. Now and into the next 5-10 years I may agree with this statement, but the airlines will pickup eventually. Yes, it may be more competitive than ever, but I think calling the chances "next to nothing" is a little (read as extremely) harsh. We are here to encourage each other to keep working and persevere through tough times. I understand that your trying to give people a realistic view, but at least sugar coat just it a little. If someone wants that airline pilot position bad enough and willing to make sacrifices, eventually it will happen for them. A persons first professional flying job may not be all that glamorous, but it's one step closer to an airline career. In fact, I just got the news over the weekend that my flight instructor of three years has been hired by a small company to fly night cargo on a Cessna 402. All you aspiring pilots out there on this board (me included), don't give up and try to keep a positive attitude. Even if it never works out, at least you know you gave it your all. Remember, it's better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all.

[Edited 2004-02-02 05:48:01]
Right rudder....Right rudder...Come on, more right rudder....Right rudder......Aw forget it, I quit!!

flymia

Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:29 pm

I would do anything just to have a job like flying Cessna 402 for cargo.
What airlines outside the USA take in forigien pilots? If everything goes well i hope to be in a Commercial or cargo cockpit by 16 years from now.
I guess i will just have to become a CFI and get Multi time some how. Then work for a regional then go to the big stuff. That would be perfect. I heard thats how most do it is that true? Most that dont go Military. What about the Coast Gaurd? Do you chose if you want to fly Helo of Fixed Wing.

PA34plt

Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:16 am

Flymia,
My advice to you is to go into the Air National Guard if you are looking to save some $$$ you have to be full time for 2 years in most states, but then it's the whole part time thing. TONS of airline pilots are ANG pilots. How old are you? 16 years is a long time unless you are 4 or something.

Mr AirNZ

Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:48 am

Up until December it was possible to get full government funding for pilot training in New Zealand for those with NZ passports. They have now limited this to a certain number of places, basically limiting the funding to $6,500 per student per 52 week period. The loan has to be paid back and attracts interest at the market rate!

Chchflyer, this is not correct.
I am myself this year borrowing a substantial sum of money in the form of a student loan to pay for my flying. Initially the government wanted to limit the figure to $6500 as you mentioned but following lobbying by the industry this figure was thrown out. Student numbers are capped this year at around 300 new students who can borrow for the cost of their flying. A review of the system will be announced mid-year, possibly making this the last year student loans will be available for flying (trust me, I had to read all this and sign agreements saying I understood that I may not be able to borrow more money next year).

flymia

Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:23 am

PA34plt: I am only 14 years old. So sixteen years i will be 28. That pretty young for an airline pilot. Yes i was thinking of that two. But i have no desire at all not one bit to fly fighter jets. That the only problem. If i did then i would just go military. I know that there is allways a chance that you might not get a fighter and maybe a KC-10 or 707 but i think cvil might be good. Also doing Gulstream Acadmey just to get hours is not the worst thing to do. If they fire you from Continetal then just work on more hours and apply to other jobs. I dont know anything fir sure yet. In a year i will start asking more questions so till then. Thats it i am telling my self to not think about this right now. LOL.

airliner777

Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:20 am

Flymia (Steven): I just wanted to tell you that I'm proud of you. I'm amazed that being your age you know already so much. Listen, you should not worry so much. You are young, and you'll find your way around to get to the "Heavies" one day. My advice is: go to a four (4) year university and get a Bachelor Degree. Mean while try to get at least your Private License that way you become a little more into it.

I would recommend going through Miami-Dade College's with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) Program. At Miami-Dade you'll obtain an Associate Degree in Science, and then you transfer to ERAU (which is inside of the same Miami-Dade building here at Miami, FL) and you'll obtain your Bachelor Degree in Professional Aeronautics. By the way, Miami-Dade has a great flight training program, and they work in part with ADF at Tamiami Airport. You should check it out, and if you need any other advice feel free to e-mail me at: [email protected]

Oh, by the way....... I'm finishing my third year at ERAU-Miami and I can't wait until I finish my Bachelor Degree to continue the flight training towards my IFR rating, etc, etc....  Smile

Keep the Faith!
God Bless

Adel

flymia

Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:13 am

Thank you Airliner777. So you think i should just go to Miami Dade College as my four year college. Or first go to a University or College then go to MDC? yes i know they have a great Avaition program but i need something to back up on. Thanks for the advice and when the time comes closer i will make sure i talk to your for some advice. Thank You.

jutes85

Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:01 pm

next to nothing? are you joking? A major airline pilot perhaps, but certainly not a regional pilot.

I was refereeing to a major airline, but a regional certainly not.
nothing

NWAirlinkFO

Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:29 pm

I too am impressed with your resolve and your interest in being a pilot. I believe that flying is in some people's blood and their "being" if you will. For someone so young to be so committed, I think you have a real advantage. I would look at some of the academy's such as Flight Safety International, Comair (now Delta Connection Academy) or FIT for flying. I would go to a regular 4 year university for your education and get a degree that you can fall back on if the flying thing doesn't work, or you get laid off later, or if some medical thing happens to you later...something like business or whatever you are interested in. Then go get your flight training out of the way. Go with your gut as far as what school you go to. Gulfstream does not do basic flight training anymore (just the airline part 121 FO program), but there is a lot of mis-information out there about PFT. FO's at Gulfstream do not get paid 8 dollars an hour....it is at least 16 (which is not that good either). And they hire off the street captains when they need to. Talk of Gulfstream always brings out the PFT people with avengence, but you need to take some of it with a grain of salt. You need to make up your mind what is ethical and what is not, but there are many options available to you. I commend you for starting your flight training when you are so young...you will have a leg up on everyone else. Don't listen to those that say there will never be major airline jobs for anyone anymore. Shoot for the highest possible goal that you can set for yourself and in most cases you will reach it! I wish you nothing but the best of luck in your pursuit of a career in aviation!!

Mir

Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:31 pm

If you don't mind winter, UND in GFK is a very good school

Yeah, you'd better not just not mind winter, but actually embrace it. I was there to visit the university, and the temperature was -35, not counting windchill. Quite a feeling.

I think I'm going to go there though.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Noonerlicious

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:06 am

(7574EVER) Thanks for your post. Before getting down to your posting I was feeling a little discouragement from all the other postings.

I'm 31, I live California and I currently have 4 hours of actual flight under my belt (I know it's not much). I started my lessons at Lenair aviation located at the John Wayne Airport (SNA). It's been almost a year ago since my last training, it was tough because I couldn’t save enough to go consistently so now it’s on hold. I am interested in the programs that were are discussed but it seems to me that I'm going to also need to get a degree if I even want to stay above the competition. I guess I'm like everyone else when I say I just want to get into a program that will pay for everything that I need to get before I am even considered a qualified candidate. I would be so willing to move out of the country or stay in the US if there were a “cadet” program that would accept me.

Any more information that anyone has, could you post it here or send it directly to my email? [email protected]

Thanks for the information everyone!

Regards,

Nooner

airliner777

Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:35 am

Steven: You can do two years at MDC, and then finish your four-year degree (which will take you only two more years) at ERAU. Feel free to cantact me anytime you need to.

Fly safe,
Adel

flymia

Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:39 am

That what i am thinking of now. Go to a four year univesity and then by end of college i hopefully will have an Instrument rating or higher nothing lower. Then just get a job i like Maybe even be CFI a year after college ended. Go to a School dont know which one yet have to see when that time comes and then just keep building hours until i get around 1100-1200 unless i get a rapid training program and then start to apply. Also I am think about the Coast Guard but only if you can chose to fly fix wing or Helo. This will he my last post on this topic and i like to Thank everyone for giving me such good encouagement respect and information.

airliner777

Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:47 am

No problem! Just take it one step at a time brother!  Big grin

kaitakfan

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:51 pm

Alot of people are bent on this 1200-1500 hour sum to actually start flying jets. I guess that sounds right, only if you have not networked yourself and have been poking around the skies as a CFI for 4 to 5 years to build up that much time, most of which is Single engine.

I hope this sounds motivating instead of bragging, so bare with me.

I have been working at a very nice country club here in Scottsdale, AZ for the past 3 years. Alot of very rich members for sure! Well, just recently as I became very motivated to gain my commerical license this summer, I realized I dont have the money to do it by myself.
I began networking with other pilots to split costs so I dont have to spend $12000 just to build hours for my commerical.

After discovering that the little networking I had done introduced me into flying a members, late 1990's Bonanza for $15 dollars an hour, more and more options came into sight. There are several wealthy members here at the club that like to fly as well as let me fly for free. To add to that, one member in particular has his own Glassair as well as a Falcon 10 jet. He has always been fond of me and enthuiastic about my flying. Tomorrow, I am going to his hanger to discuss what needs to be done to get my type rating in his jet.

3 months ago I was very frustarted at how on earth I would ever get ahead in such a difficult industry. Now that I have explored many of my options in deepth, I could possibly be flying as a first officer on a Falcon 10 within the year all, at age 22.

Until then, I constantly offer flights to people who want to go to SAN,SNA,LAS or anywhere else in the local south west. I am surprized at how many people are interested when you show a high level of motivation!

I know that my situation is unique. however... I can assure you, there are thousands of oppurtunites out there like what I am persuing! My point... be creative and most of all NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK! That is the sure fire way of getting ahead in this wicked industry am I right?

Good luck to all of us!

7574EVER

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:05 pm

"I could possibly be flying as a first officer on a Falcon 10 within the year all, at age 22." - KaiTakFan

Good luck with that. Your right, it's all about who you know.

"I constantly offer flights to people who want to go to SAN,SNA,LAS or anywhere else in the local south west." - KaiTakFan

BE CAREFUL!!! Offering your services to other people, even if your splitting the cost, could be considered illegal. There are many grey areas that can get you into trouble. This would be one of them. Even though your splitting the cost 50-50, YOU offered the PASSENGER a flight and the intent of the flight was to carry the passenger from point A to point B. This would fall into a part 135 flight (on-demand charter) which is even illegal for a holder of a basic commercial pilot certificate.
Right rudder....Right rudder...Come on, more right rudder....Right rudder......Aw forget it, I quit!!

CRJCA

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:54 pm

Look into the Mesa Airlines Pilot Development program. They are putting 300 hour pilots into the Canadair Regional Jet. I should know, I am one of them.

Homeroid

Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:19 pm

This is a different road, albeit realistic. So bear with me.

I got through my PPL, Inst. Comm MEL on a loan. Got a job with Southwest Airlines for nine years. After paying back the loan and obtaining a healthy 401K, I quit and got my Comm ASEL and CFI. Worked for peanuts at (ready for this) Gulfstream Academy as a CFI.. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY...'Cause it sure ain't going to the instructors!

The end to this story you ask......I was 17 when I got my PPL, yearning for a flying job. Now I am 32 and am bush flying in Alaska making great money. Yes, I do want to get a more stable (read "not scud running" all day long) job flying something more complex, because I am always up for the challenge.

Basically what I am saying is that there is no hurry to get that job right now, especially in this economy. If you love flying as much as I do, you will be happy flying whatever you get your hands on... I know I am!

pilotpip

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:18 pm

Yeah, networking is great if you have that chance. KaiTakFan, if you get the chance to fly that falcon 10, if they insure you and you're smart enough to get your commercial rating first you will be one of the lucky few that has the chance to fly part 91. I would make damn sure that you cover your butt and make sure you are legal because if you make a mistake your career could be over just as it was starting. For many people on this fourm, even if they know somebody, part 135 is going to be the route. For that, there are minimum hour requirements, the FAA puts the same minimums on 135 ops regardless of if you are flying a 206 or falcon 2000. With the current surplus of pilots out there, and rediculous insurance requirements it can be much, much higher than these minimum requirements. I saw an add for a corporate, part 91 operation looking for a G-IV captain. They wanted 10,000 total, 5,000 turbojet, and 1,000 in type  Insane

Now that is the extreme end of the spectrum. I just posted on another thread and basically said this. I have a whopping 200 hours total, and 50 multi. I'll hopefully have my CFI this summer and can build some time doing BFRs or get a part time job while I finish school. Flying checks in a baron sounds great to me as long as I'm being paid. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with paying somebody to work for them. If I were in this for the money, I would have changed majors two years ago when the bottom fell out. If I would change majors I can see myself at a desk somewhere in 10 years looking out of my corner office and seeing a contrail from a jet 5 miles above me and wondering, "What if..." I love flying too much. After seeing how cutthroat the industry has become I think that Homeroid may have my dream job.  Big thumbs up

Keep plugging away. If you want it bad enough, you'll get it in time. Good luck to everybody here, it's a long hard road but how many people out there get paid to blast through the sky at hundreds of miles per hour??
DMI

flymia

Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:05 am

CRJCA: Yea i checked the site. But can you clear up the program a little for me. It is only about flying correct. Or is it a four year thing. $45,000 thats alot but if you keep and 80 or above average and then have a 95% chance of becoming a FO that not bad. Just tell me are there any classes that really dont have an apsolute direct thing on flying. I guessed I lied about this was my last post.LOL.

But i thought i saw some physics and stuff. Dont get me wrong Physics has to do with flying but i dont see why a pilot that knows how a plane reacts really needs to take a high collge course on it. And not all of physics is about planes any way. I am just a little confused on how the program is. Thank You.

CRJCA

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:00 pm

Flymia,

Yes there is additional courses required if you have not already taken them at an accredited college. This is because an Associates in Aviation Technology is conferred upon graduation. 98% of graduates are hired as First Officers, most to the CRJ.

jakbar

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:20 pm

CRJCA,

What is the waiting period for graduates from MPD to actually get hired by Mesa? I've heard that upon graduation some people have waited a year or more before actually flying.

Also, does Mesa give you any choice whatsoever in terms of which of their codeshare airlines (i.e., AWA Express, US Airways Express, etc.) or pilot bases you are assigned to?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos