Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ACB777
Topic Author

What Do You Think About "discount" Airlines?

Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:26 pm

What do you all think about discount airlines? Are you into flying them and buying food, or would you rather pay a higher fare and get a free meal, 100% airline points, etc? Recently there has been some new discount airlines starting up (like Song, TED), and there are older ones as well (Westjet in Canada, Southwest, etc). Do you think these new discount airlines run by major airlines (Delta, United) will be successful in the long run? Remember, Air Canada Tango already no longer exists. Or do you think there will be more discount airlines in the future. An AA discount airline maybe some time in the near future? What are your thoughts on discount airlines?

NIKV69

RE: What Do You Think About "discount" Airlines?

Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:41 pm

When a LCC like Southwest fits my needs I will use them. I love a meal on the flight but it depends on where you are travelling. I don't fly scarebus so I would never use JetBlue. Southwest is leading the way for discount air travel within the USA..If not CO is a great airline with fares that are very good and great service!

cha747

Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:02 pm

It really depends. Many times, I've found better deals on the majors for competing routes. The majors offer more flights and I've been able to standby for earlier flights (and get on them) almost every time. Several times, I've gone with the LCC's either because they're the only ones that had seats or because they really had a better deal.

Continental

Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:41 pm

I could tell ya more if we had em here at MSP! Sun Country was a discount airline once, that's back in the day (like 2000!!) when I flew MSP-JFK-MSP for under $80 with taxes roundtrip. No one better say they're discounted, their prices are through the roof, they rank right up there with the majors... If we got Southwest to fly to MSP, then I'd be happy. We have AirTran here as well, not really discounted though...

co

NIKV69

Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:52 pm

Yea I know, but I like Sun Country, I am trying to book an overnighter to Denver from Laughlin but the flight times are too late and too early. They are not so low cost but if you have to fly into Laughlin who else are you going to use? I still think their fares are good..

Av8rDAL

Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:53 pm

Great for short hops and when all I care about is getting from A to B. Currently only flown AirTran and Frontier, both great experiences. Simple and predictable fare structure, rewards programs, fleet, and inflight service make for an experience that is easy to grow to like because you know what you're going to get almost every time you fly.

And kudos for F9 and FL and their sovereignty in the industry. Song (and the forthcoming TED) I've not yet tried, but being tied to a company that is still in the red doesn't make the best initial impression.

a340pilot

Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:02 pm

Where ever I fly, the first web sites that I go to is LCC, I really think they are more personal with there passengers like compare AC to WS or UA to WN! Although I admit I will pay a little more to fly Westjet if that problem comes up. So all that being said I love LCC airlines!

Best regards,
a340pilot

sky0000547

Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:54 pm

I think LCC was a great idea and opened up the market really well. It made traveling on airplane so affordable. Here in the UK with the likes of Easyjet, Ryanair, Bmibaby etc...you can fly to the continent cheaper from your local airport than taking the train down to London. I took Ryanair STN-TSF and Bmibaby EMA-BRU last summer and didn't buy any food onboard as I was sure I can survive the 2 hours or so journey without any. I will always fly LCC if I can.

[email protected]

Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:08 pm

Airline food is normally substandard anyway, and certainly nothing to get excited about and write home about. I don't think ANY member of the general public would choose which airline they fly aboard based on getting a 'free' meal, especially if the fare is much more expensive.

Passengers generally go for price and then convenience (frequencies and the airports served and thus choice).

I am a very loyal no-frills flyer, although I never buy food or drink on the aircraft (there has been one exception, but I was very hungry). From the point-of-view of airlines, selling refreshments inflight add considerably to total revenue; it totals 7% of Ryanair's total income.

NO-FRILLS all the way! However, don't think that the with-frills airlines will be more expensive, because they are not always. The key is doing considerable research.

lauda777

Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:19 pm

Well here in OZ we only have 2 choices at the moment, and as much as I love Virgin Blue if im flying somewhere over 2 hours I will check Qantas' prices and if its only $5-$10 more im prepared to pay it taking into consideration a larger aircraft, included meal, more legroom and IFE for the longer trip.
Otherwise im a big fan of LCC's so long as they keep their promise, I can't wait for JetStar to shake things up!  Smile

Continental

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:01 am

NIKV69: Yeah, I guess if you are flying to Laughlin, then Sun Country is great. But I miss the old days when I considered them a low cost carrier, especially when I flew MSP-JFK-MSP on their 727 with full meals for $39 each way!

co

NIKV69

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:21 am

Continental,

Now that's a cheap fare! I love them, I find myself at IFP alot, got to love how close to the runway you can get for photo ops, watching their 737s come in is awesome, they are still kind of cheap, trying to get a flight to Denver or Seattle but the flight times are not working. May use them over the summer for my trip out. Who knows?

elwood64151

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:34 am

We have AirTran here as well, not really discounted though...

Compare unrestricted fares. I think you'll find AirTran beats NW every single time.

I honestly don't mind if I'm flying an LCC or a Legacy carrier. What bothers me is when the personnel are rude or simply don't do their jobs. I've had several bad experiences on majors, but only one on an LCC (on a WN flight!).

In any event, I believe that when the market turns completely around, we'll see new entrant carriers. Maybe before. I do not believe that Song and TED will stick around after UA and DL return to profitability. Those two airlines will use the tried-and-true methods of determining profitability, and decide that the "airline-within-an-airline" just won't work.

richierich

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:44 am

I think, Elwood, you are assuming UA and DL WILL return to profitability. That is certainly no guarantee.
Either way, I agree Song & Ted will be relegated to history books before too long.

upgradeplease

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:49 am

Just came in last night LAX-JFK. $176.50 round trip for first class transcon on DL...Now that's LCC.

[Edited 2004-02-04 00:49:51]

GSPSPOT

Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:07 am

I like certain LCC's like Airtran (whom I've flown), and Frontier, Spirit (whom I haven't flown yet). These airlines still preserve some dignity to the passenger (assigned seating, roomier front cabins), while offering simple, easy-to-take fares and service.

For some reason, I still have a stigma about Southwest. That "cattle call" boarding process.... I just don't know. My home airport is yet to attract a LCC, but I hope someone else beats WN here (I think Independence Air is a strong possibility).

BH346

Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:06 am

They're nice to have around to keep prices reasonable most of the time but I need the global network carriers as well. Discount carriers can't get me to most international destinations as well as smaller communities in the country. I fly discount carriers such as Southwest and AirTran once in a while. For domestic travel, I usually go with whoever can get get me to wherever I need to go in the most convienient manner which is typically a major (in most cases Delta or American for me). If they work out well for me, I'm usually willing to give a discount carrier a shot. I don't care about meals too much on domestic flights. In-flight meals are usually not that great and you can usually buy a somewhat decent meal at the airport anyway. I don't fly enough to get elite status with any airline but if I did, I would probably take advantage of those programs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos