Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KLM11
Topic Author

Beech 1900 Airliner Question

Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:39 am

Just a quick question,

1) Do the airlines that operate the Beech 1900's put F/A's on the flights?
2) Out of all the routes would Economy Plus be profitable (as in the first 2-3 rows have extra legroom, but to sit there passengers would pay maybe $20.00 extra?)
3) How loud is it inside of the aircraft?

Thanks Everyone,

KLM11
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

KLM11
Topic Author

RE: Beech 1900 Airliner Question

Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:52 am

Anyone ......... Anyone ..........
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

QantasA332

Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:54 am

1) It depends on the airline. I flew on a Scenic Airlines 1900C and there was no F/A, but my father has been on a USAirways Express 1900D and there was. Most major carriers operating the 1900 do have F/A's, but some don't. Again, it all depends on the airline.

2) I doubt it would be profitable. From my experience, the standard seats weren't that uncomfortable, and considering that most routes the 1900 operates are < 1 hour, economy plus wouldn't be necessary.

3) It's about the same as an ATR-72 or similar...not too noisy, but, as all turboprop are, noisy!

Hope that helps,
qantasA332

phatfarmlines

Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:10 pm

Gulfstream Int'l (Continental Connection) does not have flight attendants on its aircraft. It falls below the minimun requirement in the United States, so most airlines, at least in the U.S., do away with them.

2) Out of all the routes would Economy Plus be profitable (as in the first 2-3 rows have extra legroom, but to sit there passengers would pay maybe $20.00 extra?)

Since the 1900's usually don't fly long routes, I don't think the Economy Plus would be beneficial. A passenger flying a longer route would find more value in Economy Plus.

The loudness is comparable to most propeller aircraft in its category. For some people, the sound is the most annoying thing; for others, its the opposite. I can't give you an exact loudness figure since the sound does not bother me.

freshlove1

Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:28 pm

Air Midwest does not have a F/A on its 1900's. With 19 seats you do not need a F/A, its only 20 and higher that require one, and then i believe its 1 F/A for every 50 people or something like that. The 1900 is to small to have any seat with greater legroom, if that was done the cargo compartment would be smaller because you would have to push the rows back, thus the CG would be out of whack due to the weight being more toward the back. Noise wise it's not to bad, its like any other prop plane.

EMBQA

Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:38 pm

An F/A on a 1900...??? Not and Never. 1st, there is no reason too. The aircraft holds 19 passengers or less and is not required to have one under FAA Regulations.....and 2nd......Where would you put one...?? Give up a fare paying seat..? I think not. What would they do...?? There is no galley or place to put one. Your talking about an aircraft you can hardly stand fully up right.

What little time I spent on 1900's when my airline had them, there is no difference in seat pitch from fron to back. You have almost none. In fact, the first row of seat give you almost NO leg on the RH side as your looking at a bulkhead, and on the LH side our crushed up against the pax door airstairs

[Edited 2004-02-03 04:47:06]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

loki394

Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:01 pm

In the United States, FAR Part 121 flights of 20 passengers or more require a flight attendant. The 19 passenger Beech 1900 and Metroliner aircraft get around this. Both aircraft have small cabins and there is no galley, F/A seat, or lavatory.

When Beechcraft (1900) and Fairchild (Metroliner) manufactured these airplanes, they knew that they could get around the F/A requirement if they had 19 seats, so they designed the cabin so that there would not be a space for the F/A's, or for "Economy Plus", the seats are relatively small and narrow, and the flights are priced reasonably, some aren't though, so that the average business commuter passenger could afford to commute often.
The 1900 is powered by a more powerful version of the PT-6 engine that powers all King Air's. I believe there is some more soundproofing on the 1900's, but the King Air 200 and E-90's that I've flown, even without an ANR headset, the cabin is extremely quite compared to that of a piston engine.

TG992

Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:10 pm

I just got off one about 2 hours ago, so I'll have a stab too...

1) The majority of BEH operators don't have a flight attendant. It seems to be absolutely bizarre to have one, as a matter of fact.. (having a f/a but no cockpit door just seems whacked, for some reason!)

2) I don't think so - Row 1 usually has a huge amount of legroom due to the main aircraft door being directly in front, and you can always stretch one leg out in the aisle no matter what seat you're in (since people don't usually get up to move around the cabin!)

3) Not loud enough to be annoying - the only things I have it to compare to are the DC3, EMB, and SWM, and the BEH is quieter than all of them.
-

xjramper

Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:19 pm

When I ramp CommutAir, the FO generally does the job of an FA minus cabin service of food and drink. (S)He generally goes back and makes sure that the two people sitting in row 6 can and are able to sit in the exit row, makes sure that the bags all fit underneath the seat in front of the person and then returns back to his/her duties as the FO.

As far as I can tell, there is no reason not to have some sort of econ plus seating. A captain told me that they are profitable if four of the 19 seats are filled. However, as PhatFarmLines said, flights that are serviced by a BE1900 don't go too far. The longest route on CommutAir is an hour. No real point to having preferred seating on those short hops.

As far as noise goes, everybody answered it above.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos