Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69

RE: "Airline" Condones Drunk-Driving

Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:02 am

Tiger,

I doubt there would be any liabilty by taking his keys, in this day and age they would have been commended as well as making A&E look like heroes for taking yet another person under the influence off the road.

BarneyCaptain and Acvitale,

Didn't mean to degrade the choices of you company, I know at 30-40 bucks a night Terrible and Circus are pretty good values, The Stratosphere is another good vaule though I guess you guys have to stay kind of close to LAS.

mckennasmall
Topic Author

Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:02 am

Well I am thinking do airlines ever over the passenger a taxi instead of letting them drive home. I think if you do not let someone board because he is to drunk don't you think they should call them a cab. There must be times where people will be denied boarding but go home and drive and the get in a crash and people will get hurt. I think there should be a policy in place for these types of situations.

NIKV69

Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:12 am

Yes these are all great points, cab companies should offer their services for nothing to take a drunk person home, but it all boils down to one thing, responsibilty falls with the individual. He should have been pulled over and thrown in jail if in fact he was over the legal limit. Enough of passing the buck, you drive under the influence you do time. Let's let the police do something, why does Southwest have to? Their job is keeping planes in the air.

mckennasmall
Topic Author

Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:43 am

Well I feel a bit. I mean you are heading to Vegas and he was planning to get on that aircraft. I mean drinking and Vegas go hand and hand together. I mean you should be expect people to drink. It is not like a flight from LAX to CLE. It is VEGAS for crying out loud. But In all it is his fault for drinking

goingboeing

Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:59 am

Well I feel a bit. I mean you are heading to Vegas and he was planning to get on that aircraft. I mean drinking and Vegas go hand and hand together. I mean you should be expect people to drink. It is not like a flight from LAX to CLE. It is VEGAS for crying out loud. But In all it is his fault for drinking

Wasn't it also a Vegas flight where the passengers killed the guy trying to bust into the cockpit? Doesn't matter where the flight is going, if you can avoid a problem - do it.

NIKV69

Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:03 am

Tru, but you have to know when to say when, you don't need to get wasted before you get on the plane. Pace yourself!!

Viva las Vegas!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

MD-90

Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:26 pm

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? The guy have chosen not to drive. He didn't. He's not a ward of A&E's film crew. Neither they nor the airline were reponsible for him.

SFOairnut

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:08 pm

I finally caught this show...in one program saw SW deny about 3 parties boarding saying that they had been drinking, then right afterwards they showed the FA's starting one of the games during a flight SW is proud of, and the prize for the winner? A free drink onboard....had to laugh at that one.

mckennasmall
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:40 am

I see what you are saying

rindt

Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:17 am

Sfoairnut,

Quite ironic isn't it?  Smile

This is where I don't understand things... you can't get on a plane drunk, but you can get drunk on a plane. I'd rather have a person drunk on the ground first, because you are at least able to guage the guys behaviour. These guys probably would've passed out on board the plane anyhow.

As for the drink-driving - how do you know there wasn't a 3-4 hour gap before he got into his car?

-Rob

mckennasmall
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:28 am

hy well i See what you are saying Rob. It is Ironic

canuckpaxguy

Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:52 am

I want to start a "Yolanda Fan Club". I like her.

That drunk guy --- Not sure if it would do anything in that particular state, but I wonder what would happen if the producers sent a copy of that tape to the cops.

I hate impaired drivers...and he KNEW was drunk. He even admitted it to his girlfriend.

The gospel singing --- not my taste at all, but hey, they were enjoying themselves, and I'm sure we've all sat next to people who were far worse than them.

G

Av8rDAL

Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:44 am

I loved this show at first, but the obnoxious passengers are starting to annoy me.

That's the sole reason I put down my textbooks for an hour on Monday night- to watch the idiocy in action!

And yes, the guy was definitely tipsy as he drove away. If I were A&E, I wouldn't have shown that segment for fear of some sort of legal adventures down the road.

On the subject of denying passage to intoxicated passengers before the flight, how does being drunk before the flight compare with having too much after takeoff? I flew Frontier from DEN-SFO in July and the flight attendants' antics really created a Southwest-esque mood in the cabin. The guy sitting next to my friend had four Jack and Cokes within about 90 minutes and was clearly intoxicated and would have probably toppled over in the aisle had he attempted to go relieve himself. So what do the FARs say about pax that board sober but begin drinking in flight?

NIKV69

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:00 pm

I doubt A&E can be held liable for that, though morally they had an obligation to do something, who knows, that could have been time lapsed but the individual himself was to blame for getting behind the wheel if he was over the limit, remember this whole thread is what A&E wants, it's ratingsand keeps us watching, it's what keeps them going..

Av8rDAL

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:10 pm

About A&E and liability, you never know in today's world.

After all, Micky D's was sued ten years ago because they served some lady a cup of (gasp!) hot coffee with which she actually burned herself and got over a half of a million dollars.

NIKV69

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:15 pm

That's totally different, McDonald's themselves served that women a boiling cup of coffee, a disclaimer on the cup and they can never be sued again, same with Starbucks. A&E doesn't have an obligation to report every individual that may be drunk or to intervene.

mckennasmall
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:24 pm

Lets me put it this way. If he was pulled over would he get a DUI. If this driver did hurt someone when he was drunk and people found out about this video people would be up in arms that A&E "Airline" Crew did not do anything.I am strongly agianst Drunk Drivers

canuckpaxguy

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:16 pm

Ever heard of the "Stella Awards"?

It's an annual collection of frivilous lawsuits won by people in the US. It's named after, you guessed it, the woman who won the lawsuit against McDonald's for serving her hot coffee.

I suppose there could be a case if that drunk pax hurt someone. The A&E crew not stepping in to prevent, nor report. I'm really surprised the didn't edit that out or put in a disclaimer. Any lawyers in the forum? Has anyone contacted A&E?

G

usnseallt82

Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:39 am

Actually, Southwest didn't allow the man to drive for very long.  Big thumbs up

After the cameramen were shooting his departure in his vehicle, members of the local police force were waiting on the next level of the parking garage and took the man out for a sobriety test. I'm not sure whether or not they determined anything from their testing, but I can assure you that Southwest producers know how to cover their tails in the event of any legal implications.

So, the airline did NOT release him to the comforts of his vehicle...at least not for long.  Big thumbs up

Good day to all.

NIKV69

Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:52 am

The guy that was denied boarding and left the airport and called his gf on his cell, mooned the camera and then got into his car was in an outside parking lot, not a garage.

??

access-air

Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:37 am

I absolutely love this show....

The reason you dont let people on the plane who appear intoxicated is because if they are rowdy and or obnoxious on the grround, the thinner air of the aicraft intensifies the effects of alcohol on the body.. Rememebr guys the cabin pressure on jets is basically maintained to eight thousand feet not sea level so its thinner. Couple the thinner less oxygenated air with the fact that the alcohol is impairing their brain functions already and then you have a real problem. Some people when drunk get loud, some get mean or violent and want to challenge everyone to try and beat them up...You think Im lying go hang out near a bar some nite at closing, or go in and check it out.... Imagine someone blitzed out of their minds trying to use the door to get out of the plane because they are so far gone they think they can just walk off...at 35, 000 feet!! People do crazy stuff when drunk....so dont be so quick to defend them. Would you want that crap happening on your flight?? I THINK NOT!!!

You also know refusing to serve someone alcohol isnt relegated to just airlines, but restaurants and heaven forbid, bars too can refuse to serve soemone if in the opinion of the person providing the drink thinks that the person is intoxicated. Dont make excuses for these dip-shits...They know what they are doing when they take that first drink....it all goes downhill from there...

The show is awesome and its very true to life and of course the people will try to "Ham it up" for the TV becasue they know they are on TV....but they also are made to sign waivers to be on TV as well.....according to what was told to me by SWA...
I think its about time that we see what really goes on at airports... Its time to see that its not always the "Mean old airline did this to me story" Rather that it shows how totally cluless a majority of the travelling public can be..!!!!
And to see what kind of crap the flying public dishes out and tries to get away with... remember the guy who tried to scam his way to Chicago using an expired Rapid Rewards Certificate????
Okay guys ..have fun!!

Access-Air

mckennasmall
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:21 pm

I agree about how the blood gets thinner due to altitude

cloudy

Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:47 pm

Imagine someone blitzed out of their minds trying to use the door to get out of the plane because they are so far gone they think they can just walk off...at 35, 000 feet!!
------
As you probably know, this would not work. The difference in pressure between the inside of the plane and the outside prevents anyone from opening a door on a pressurized plane. No one is that strong.

They did mention the effect of low pressure on one's state of sobriety, and I'm glad you elaborated a bit. I was going to ask about that...

I believe they did ask arround the cabin if it would be ok for the gospel group to sing. In other threads, WN people have said one has to kind of play it by ear as to what sort of antics would be accepted by a given audience.

As for the customer service issues - when you deal with someone who is misbehaving or complaining, good customer service does not consist in only trying to please the customer in question. You also have to be careful that anything you do to please this customer does not alienate the other customers who are NOT complaining. The seatmates of a drunk person, smelly person, or super-obese person who bought only one seat will often have a miserable flight because the airline staff did not stand up for them and enforce the rules. Sometimes other airlines will forget about this. What you have to keep in mind is that most passengers will not complain, they will just suffer quietly and choose a different airline next time. That is why you can often satisfy more people and get more business in the long term by knowing how to say "no".

IN SHORT, the customer is NOT always right. This is especially true if he is allienating a lot of other customers - whether those other customers are brave enough to speak up or not.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos