Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dsreid
Topic Author

JFK To Manhattan...for The Uninitiated

Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:31 pm

Fellow forum members and experienced travellers, a bit of a daft question really, but I'm heading to New York early next month for a well earned spot of R&R, and as a first time NYC visitor, was wondering what the best way from Terminal 8 into Manhattan was....especially getting in around 9pm (local).

I'm know there are a quite a few options in the same sort of price range...Super Shuttle, Air Train, Cab etc, but any horror stories / companies to avoid would be appreciated....and any companies or methods you'd recommend would also be handy !

Thanks...

dlj1216

RE: JFK To Manhattan...for The Uninitiated

Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:35 pm

when i was there, it was $35-40/one way by cab from JFK to manhattan.

NIKV69

Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:37 pm

Living on the Island I get car service to take me the 30 miles to my house from JFK. It's a shorter trip to the city, and NYC Medallion cabbies can't over charge you, if I was you I would jump in the first cab I can find (make sure it has a medallion on the hood) It's not glamorous but it gets the job done and is cheaper and faster than a shuttle. Haven't heard much feedback on the air train but that would be my other choice, depends on where you are going in manhattan.

Thrawn

Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:49 pm

The Airtrain is a great way to go now and is only $7 i use that most of the time, even at 9pm you should be fine as the subway part is an express and doesn't stop much until you get to manhattan

The Bus is about $19 and goes to the central station its a cheap way of going but can take some time

Super Shuttle is $19 only use them if you really need to, i have had so many bad experiences with them. The worst thing about them is their time keeping and thats just a start

Cabs are normally good its about $45 with tip and like NIKV69 says make sure its medallion cab. All the cabs i have taken have been reliable and good and haven't tried to rip me off

Car service is a bit more about $55 plus but they are very reliable, quick and offer a very high level of servi

Remember that Concorde is now there next to the USS Intrepid so go and take a quick look

Have fun in New York

Tiger119

Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:09 pm

I asked the same question a few months ago here and the answers I received were basically the same, but the answers that mentioned taking cabs seemed to make more sense for someone like me that has not yet been to NYC. I am in Chicago quite a bit and I always take cabs up there and I know Chicago fairly well. Have a good time and take a lot of pictures, including ones in The City.

dsreid
Topic Author

Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:14 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone....looks like "Medallion Cab" it is !

Big thumbs up

industrybuff

Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:14 pm

hey there

i did this trip 3 days ago. take the cab at $35 flatfare from JFK to Manhattan + tolls + gratuity. I arrived at JFK at 924pm after a long flight from Australia - not a lot of traffic - the cabis easy ! On the meter coming back on a sunday morning Manhattan to JFK the fare was just $24 .........

Oh may I suggest you try out the Big Apple Greeters service. they are a non profit org that arranges for you to meet up with a native new yorker to discover a borough .... I used this service the other day and it was just superb ...... visit their website and register for a visitor and be as specific as you can on the online form

have fun in NY - truely my favourite city !

JFernandez

Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:51 pm

Just go to a taxi stand outside the terminal, all the cabs out there (the yellow ones) are medallion cabs. Anyone inside asks you if you need a ride, ignore them.

Alitalia744

Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:16 pm

I took Airtrain from T1 to Lexington Ave in the city, $7bux and a total trip time of 40minutes.

-G

Setjet

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:42 am

"The Bus is about $19 and goes to the central station its a cheap way of going but can take some time"

Haha, just think about what is regarded cheap nowadays! JFK has the worst connections of any bigger airport I know. Pretty embarassing for a city like New York if you ask me. Whoever spent hours waiting for the A-Train (or being ripped of from a cab driver!) knows what I mean. Good luck!

STT757

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:48 am

If your heading to Mid-town Manhattan take the JFK Airtrain to the Long Island Rail road station at Jamaica, the LIRR is a commuter rail road which is a little more comfortable and quicker than the Subway.

If your heading to Lower Manhattan than take the Subway, you can connect to the Subway from the LIRR Jamaica station or Howard Beach.

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/projectframe.htm

richierich

Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:29 am

Hitchhike!!!
Just Kidding.

If money is no problem, take the cab. It is probably the quickest way too.

If looking to do it on a budget, consider one of the above posts' options. Taking AirTrain to Jamaica Station, then LIRR to Penn Station, is probably less than $15 total but the service maybe sporadic at that time at night.

I would consider the bus (coach) that picks up at each JFK terminal. One way is only $15 (unless it went up recently...) and it has regular service to Grand Central and Times Square in Manhattan. Yes, it is subject to road and traffic conditions, but so is a cab! My experience with this bus is that it has been convenient and reliable. Many Manhattan-based air crews and airport workers use this service, so that tells me something.

There are other (even cheaper) options, mostly for the brave-hearted or locals only. Taking the AirTrain to the subway station at the back of the Long-Term lot would connect you to the A-train. Total price to Manhattan would be $7! But it might take a while - almost an hour on the subway alone. And although perfectly safe, IMO, most out-of-towners would not attempt this, especially at night.

Good luck!  Smile

jcs17

Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:56 am

Take the subway, its very safe, even at night especially coming from JFK. All you have to do is take the A to Penn Station where there are numerous transfers.

LHSebi

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:03 am

Order a limo! If you have a little extra money to spare, get a limosine! It's great fun, and you should do it once if you ever go to New York. There are usually places in the airport where you can order them from, but even better, if you do a quick search on the internet and find some phone numbers, you can get the driver to pick you up straight from the baggage claim! Great stuff!  Big thumbs up

Sebastian

timz

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:07 am

Where are you going in Manhattan? Depending where, subway is likely better than LIRR. Will you be traveling light enough that a $7 hour-plus trip appeals?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos