Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rsmith6621a
Topic Author

A&Es Airliner Show To Predictable

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:35 am

Is it me or has A&Es Airline show gotten to predictable?????

One thing you can definitly count on is that on each show there will be someone DRUNK...

Are the producers of the show so lame that they couldnt take there cameras down to the ramp and find a storyline with the baggage handlers???...What about OPS to??????. I am glad to see they ventured to other airports but once again one of the storylines featured.....DRUNKen Women.....

I to am tiering of the emphasis on homosexual workers,its almost as if A&E has a agenda to promote there.

If the producers are not going to get creative I will take the opportunity to get a extra hour of shut-eye....its getting to be almost like watching the Young and The Restless....BORING

xjramper

RE: A&Es Airliner Show To Predictable

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:38 am

It wasn't predictable before the show even aired? I do agree with you tho, they need to show outside ops side of the airline. It is slightly amusing to watch drunk people trying to fly, but there needs to be more of a story line to the show than what they are featuring so far.

XJR

goingboeing

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:47 am

Here's the problem - most people would find refueling a jet, loading baggage, or dumping a lav to be, shall we say, less than entertaining. The general public is familiar with one thing about the airline - what THEY experience. Most don't notice, nor do they care, what happens to their bag after they check them - unless they are lost (which they show). Most don't think twice about the activity going on on the ground below them. Several years ago, there was a kids show that showed UAL ground ops at DEN. It was really kind of cool, but it was nothing that the general public would tune in for. I mean, they could profile what happens in the revenue managment department, but do you think people would stay tuned to watch as they decided when to introduce a special fare to the computer system?

electraBob

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:48 am

I agree with what has been said so far. I am hoping that soon they will concentrate on people working outside of the aircraft....show us how the baggage is loaded and unloaded....show us how an aircraft is fueled...show us how maintenance is performed....show us how all of this is done in a 20 to 30 minute turn-around time period.

The one thing that is really predictable.....the second half hour is a re-run.

I will continue to watch.

FlyGuyClt

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:56 am

I agree with all said. An airline is run by everyone. How about showing a cattle call (first interview) on some episode? Reservations? Customer Relations Department in Dallas? A day with the top brass? There is so much to be shown that can focus on outstanding people and assets. Not just some of the low life and crazies that fly any airline. However, on occasion that does provide good humor.

Did anyone notice the T-shirt in last nights episode by the LAX supervisor? In my opinion I thought it was a little tacky.

Safe Flying  Smile

DeltaRampPIT

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:56 am

I agree with the idea that more attention should be placed onto the actual airside operations. Very few people actually know how it does operate.....but....that might possibly be intentional. I do not see the big deal in showing two ramp agents balled up in the belly of a 737 throwing the 70lb bags of some dude from ___________. I think the mumbled obscenities I use occasionally (I belly load MD-88's mostly) can be cut out....hahaha.

I think the lack of outside operation coverage is intentional without much merit. Plus drunken idiots are much more entertaining and get ratings!

Have a safe day!

Brian

goingboeing

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:02 am

Did anyone notice the T-shirt in last nights episode by the LAX supervisor? In my opinion I thought it was a little tacky.

Are you talking about Yolanda? I didn't notice her shirt since I was too busy looking at the rest of her. What'd it say?

isitsafenow

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:09 am

If you were NOT an airline employee or a plane nut( you like that, eh?),I am beginning to see why all other airlines were not interested in becoming part of this show. SW was the only taker. Now, it seems to me that this show is not in the best interest for SW enhanceing their airline and showcasing the carrier as the carrier of choice. What I am saying is if I was planning a trip this summer to Someplace, USA to see grandma, or Uncle Larry, I wont be booking SW. Too many drunks, too many gay employees, too many cancelled flights, too many oversold seats, etc...This is how this comes across to Joe and Mary Traveler. Is it me or does anyone else see this coming across?
I really beleive right this minute, their are people in the Love field offices second guessing the involvement of SW in this show...whats your two cents worth?

goingboeing

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:24 am

Now, it seems to me that this show is not in the best interest for SW enhanceing their airline and showcasing the carrier as the carrier of choice. What I am saying is if I was planning a trip this summer to Someplace, USA to see grandma, or Uncle Larry, I wont be booking SW. Too many drunks, too many gay employees, too many cancelled flights, too many oversold seats, etc...This is how this comes across to Joe and Mary Traveler. Is it me or does anyone else see this coming across?
I really beleive right this minute, their are people in the Love field offices second guessing the involvement of SW in this show...whats your two cents worth?

Here's my take - a lot of folks who have flown on Delta, or American, or Continental, or any other airline, most likely have seen drunks on those flights. They have also most likely seen "backpackers" on some of those flights. Did you notice the belligerant drunk guy who said "Up yours Southwest Airlines"? Did you notice that he was heading to another airline? Think anybody else noticed that? And the ones who did have to ask themselves "Did the other airline let that guy on?".

A couple of experiences I have had...on a Delta flight from MSY-DFW (first class), it seemed that half the first class compartment was filled with drunk Cajuns who put any of the drunks shown on Airline to shame. But I didn't judge the rest of Delta's clientel based on that. My wife was on an America West flight from PHX-MCI when a "trailer" type woman emerged from the rear lav and announced the the back half of the plane "Reeee- leif...I think I lost 5 pounds in there".

Bottom line, I don't think SWA execs regret their involvement in the show...most people who have flown before know that what they are seeing isn't really all that out of the ordinary.

awschucksflyer

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:32 am

In my opinion, Wings channel's AIRPORT is much much better! I really enjoy watching Airport (BBC) over Airline. It's less annoying. I find myself caring about the people that are profiled. Airport is much more diverse with the stories and people it profiles. Maybe it's because the show centres around more than one airline.

AWSCHUCKS!!

PIA777

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:35 am

I think I like "Airport" better also. "Airline" does show too many drunks..

PIA777

richardw

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:50 am

In both shows, you don't get to see many Airliners, of which the variety at LHR is vast, missed opportunity.

AlekToronto

Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:13 am

watched the show several times now..They are already into the repeats.
We have to remember that Television needs to entertain and sadly this involves mostly getting drunks and disturbing passengers the prime airtime..How many people would watch a lost bag get traced? or problems of baggage handlers?

I do agree that this show is already tired and the format is biased to Southwest Airlines - I mean everything that happens is presented to be the fault of the passenger...The airline is never blamed or the cause of any problems - and if you travel a lot you will know what I mean.

Also I don't think the problem of the drunk "trailer trash" passenger is a problem of Southwest only - I have seen worse drunken behaviour on all sort of other airlines including Delta, Air Canada, British Airways and Qantas.

cheers!
Alek

goingboeing

Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:24 am

I do agree that this show is already tired and the format is biased to Southwest Airlines - I mean everything that happens is presented to be the fault of the passenger...The airline is never blamed or the cause of any problems - and if you travel a lot you will know what I mean.

In one episode, they showed a couple of passengers who were connecting to an international flight that were delayed due to a mechanical problem. They also showed some oversale situations, as well as some lost baggage scenes. So I disagree that it is biased to favor Southwest. But...what is a problem (other than those I mentioned) that could be called the airlines "fault". Not just for SWA, but for any airline? Airlines have no control over weather delays, passenger intoxication, or any other things.

Bicoastal

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:07 am

Yeh, I've seen enough. I had been taping the program because I'm usually in bed by then or traveling. I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it anymore. I'm not tuning in to watch the private lives of an airline's employees. I wanted to see all behind the scenes aspects of an airline's operations. The show would rather show drunks and problems, rather than educate me.

But, and this will surprise no one, the show has confirmed for me that Southwest will not be my airline of choice.

DeltaRampPIT

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:09 am

In Response.....Airlines obviously are vague in describing the real problem to the passenger. This puts them at fault and essentially pulls money out of thier pocket. Even if it is truly their fault, I believe they will find a reason not to admit that. "Delay due to crew" has been translated to "plane was late due to weather" when my inside connections tell me they dont have the minimum flight attendants.

SWA does a nice job handling their passenger problems, no better or worse than the "Delta, American,United's".

Southwest is a "no-frills" airline and you get what you pay for. I do, however take issue with the constant "denied bording" due to oversold filghts. The first come first serve concept is new to me therefore I might not understand it. I have not yet had the opportunity to fly SWA.

I think the best policy is to be nice, firm if needed and remember they still paid for the ticket and that goes into your pocket. Keeps me sane!

Thanks! Brian

bobb

Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:39 am

"however take issue with the constant "denied boarding" due to oversold flights."

All airlines do this. Because of low profit margins, airlines need to fill in all seats with passengers who are already at the gate. If you are not at the gate within a prescribed time (ask what ea. Airline policy is), the airline has to assume you are a no-show and give your seat out to standbys. And no, because you are detained at security is not the airline's fault, so don't even use that sorry excuse.

I have flown for years and have been bumped maybe twice. But then, I consistently get to the airport with enough spare time. People who have problems with over booking are the chronic tardies, who enjoy beating the system by showing up at the last minute, and get postal when their seats have been given away.

bobb

Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:44 am

"But, and this will surprise no one, the show has confirmed for me that Southwest will not be my airline of choice. "

I bet secretly, yer all dying to fly SWA and get in on some of the action! [GGG]

bobb

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:00 am

"The airline is never blamed or the cause of any problems - and if you travel a lot you will know what I mean."

No, I don't know what you mean.

I've been now on both sides, as a mere passenger for years, and recently actually working in this industry.

My take is, this industry is really a very complicated business. There are lots of rules imposed on us by the government, regulations etc. then there are the union'ed employees, but a typical passenger doesn't care about none of these. All you want is, "I paid for my seat, you get me and my bag there period."

Did you know any time we deny boarding, we have to fill out the paperwork for the government? Not something that we enjoy doing really, but need to do what needs to be done.

Because passengers don't care about the complicated side of things, every time there is a problem, you feel helpless, and want to be compensated period. I can understand that. You also have to understand Airlines are for-profits enterprises, and that means, you gotta be a smart consumer. The airlines have NEVER lost my bags (15 years!), delayed maybe twice. But you HAVE TO count that at some point, IT WILL HAPPEND, so putting your heart medicines in your checked bags is a BAD, DUMB idea. The airline can't read your minds.

Boeing757/767

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:12 am

The show convinced me not to fly WN again. I HATE the singing flight-attendant routine.

NIKV69

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:13 am

You have to take this show for what it is, a show that give you an inside look at terminal and gate life. Nobody is going to tune in week after week to watch the ground crew. I agree with alot of you here, but Southwest is showing why they are great at what they do, get alot of people in the air, turn the planes over fast and keep the fares low with a nice laid back kind of friendly atmosphere and a decent level of professionalism. Don't expect an in depth look at airport operations with this show..

Cory6188

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:49 am

First off, living in Northern NJ, I have never flown WN, and don't plan to, even when they come to PHL. It's a 2 to 2 and a half hour haul, and EWR/LGA/JFK are much more convienient for me. Most leisure travelers would probably find their songs and games entertaining, although I think that any business traveler would much prefer the calm and professionalism found on the major carriers. B6 is also guilty of this giddy onboard atmosphere - their F/A's always seem so giggly over the PA.

I myself much prefer the calm, polite, and professional F/A (as would be found on AA, CO, DL, etc.) instead of a giggly, silly one. I'm sure many would agree -especially if you have to fly often. That's also why I'm sure business travelers would prefer the majors - they can walk out of the Admiral/President/WorldClub and right before the flight departs, not having to worry about where they will sit. On CO they wouldn't even have to wait in line (as long as they're elite).

To me, benefits like those bring value that WN cannot provide.

isitsafenow

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:50 am

NikV 69..some of the points you brought out were NOT ever shown us in this program...turn planes faster, wasnt shown...we airline nuts know this is what SW does but Joe and Mary Traveler couldnt give a ripe.
My point is that Joe and Mary Traveler see the program and all this pretaining to SW and say.."gee im not flying them..we're now going on our vacation with blah blah air."
The thing is that what is televised goes on with ALL the other carriers but a large group of people see it only SW problems because the show revolves around SW. They think ONLY SW has these issues. We, this forum members, know better. See my point?
safe

goingboeing

Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:04 am

First off, living in Northern NJ, I have never flown WN,

Having lived in Texas and Kansas City, I have flown Southwest frequently - for business and pleasure. In all those time over the past 20 years, I have had "songs and games" exactly one time...a flight from MCi-MCO...and the kids on the flight loved it. Well...once just after we landed at MDW they did sing the Barney song - but the businessmen had all put away their laptops and were getting their briefcases from under the seat, so it didn't bother them too much.

and don't plan to, even when they come to PHL. It's a 2 to 2 and a half hour haul, and EWR/LGA/JFK are much more convienient for me. Most leisure travelers would probably find their songs and games entertaining, although I think that any business traveler would much prefer the calm and professionalism found on the major carriers. B6 is also guilty of this giddy onboard atmosphere - their F/A's always seem so giggly over the PA.

Can't talk for B6 since I've never flown them (imagine...not making a statement about the inflight experience since I haven't flown them...) but it pretty much seems that SWA FA's are about as calm and professional as those on Delta or American. You know...if you were the least bit outgoing (as many FA's are prone to be) would you not "ham it up a bit" if cameras were present at your job?

Two hours may be a bit far for you to drive, so that's cool - but I wonder...if you have never flown them, how are you so sure that every single flight attendant is a singer and dancer and that each and every flight is one big party? Oh...the Barney song was appreciated by many of the business passengers...sort of lightened the start of a day.

NIKV69

Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:13 am

Isitsafenow,

Give me a break any person in this world has who ever walked into an airport KNOWS darn well that these issues are not unique to Southwest airlines, SW happens to be the airline that is doing this show, it could be any airline. You need to give the less frequent traveler a little more respect. I think this show not only illustrates why Southwest is tops in the LCC market but will only bring them more customers. I think alot of other airlines are sorry they passed on this show because this show is becoming huge and I think it's great. More power to ya Southwest!!

BH346

Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:17 am

The show doesn't give a very accurate example of Southwest's clientele. What would most people want to watch? A bunch of happy "normal" people and businessmen going boarding their flights, leaving on-time and getting to their destinations uneventfully or a bunch of blabbering drunk people? Southwest's a huge airline...they're going to have some sketchy characters here and there. Over the last year, I've flown on Delta, Southwest, and AirTran...the crowds on all of the flights were pretty much the same.

jjbiv

Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:26 am

Thank the gods that be for giving us an airline show to comment on. It wasn't too long ago that TV only considered medicine and the law worthy of portrayal. The real benefits from this show aren't intended for us, but rather for those folks who fly infrequently and maybe -- just maybe -- may realize (and even develop an understanding of and compassion for) how complicated an industry we adore.

That said, I'd love to see the show explore WN's legendary operations in upcoming episodes.

joe

FLYACYYZ

Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:48 am

The show if you ask me is TOO predictable. How is it that the cameras are there at the precise moment to catch all of the off-beat antics from the drunk customers to the babe giving herself a makeover and getting changed in the departure lounge??

This is not Southwest spontaneity kids. It's exaggerated Reality TV, enhanced for enterainment value.

Take it with a grain of salt

Smile Smile

EMBQA

Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:58 am

I agree 100%. The first 3-4 shows where pretty good. But now its the same old same........drunks at the gate. Watch people act like jack*sses.........

Come on...., there is so much more to how an airline operates. I'd love to see them follow a Line Maintenance crew for a while..... that is a job that can turn into a zoo in a short time.

[Edited 2004-02-03 22:58:56]

NIKV69

Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:04 am

You guys are missing the point of reality television. Though I think letting us see a 737 go under routine maintainence would be awesome. Who knows what A&E has in store for us but remember they know what they are doing and I am sure have not shown us everything in the first 3 weeks. I kind of liked the woman who was pissed about the pax with no ID. I found that interesting.

goingboeing

Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:06 am

How many people can identify with Line Maintenance? Most passengers don't notice when you're out there...even if there is a "mechanical delay". But I dunno... A&E is in the market of ratings. I guess they saw that if you showed enough iterations of "survivors" choppered into a desert island each with their devious plans to "vote off" the other members every week, (which is all pretty much the same thing week after week)...or watch as one guy (or gal) offers a rose to surviving gals (or guys) in a competition to win their hearts week after week, and those shows are enough of a ratings hit to spawn "all star" versions of the same show...people might be willing to tune in to see what the latest drunk guy will do.

isitsafenow

Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:13 am

BH346
Your first sentence sums it all up. The TV camera focuses on the not-so-norm employees and pax. All those other people on those planes, not a thing was mentioned.
NIKV69
Guilty as charged..."Not giving the less frequent traveler more respect".
How many of you that work for or have worked for a carrier..met a person someplace in life and you say.."I work for/worked for blah blah air." Whats the very first Q
they asked after knowing that fact? "Are you/were you a pilot"? The airline doesnt have any other employees except the pilot, F.A., person at the counter and the guy who loses you bag. We know better, dont we?
This is one reason why I'm guilty of not much respect for the person that flys once a year or every two years. These are the people who "know it all" and if you are on the counter,you know they are the ones who whine the most.
Remember the woman who cried about removing the man with "no I D."?
Thats my point. The penquins are the ones who demand more. The gold and silvers know EXACTLY what to expect and what they are ENTITLED to and thats what they request, if not offered.
I talked to a woman on the phone the other day who saw the show last week and asked me(knowing my airline past)..."are all airlines like that or just Southwest"? I assured her they are all like that with pax very similar on a daily basis. When I worked the counter, I should have kept a daily diary and wrote a book. This is my point I'm trying to show. Some people look at this in a negitive way toward SW. Thats too bad. Thats a slick run company with classy employees. I really believe after watching the 10 00pm show last nite(10 30 was a repeat) that the camera is slanting this ever so carfully toward the negitive. The news media and the press have slanted articles and feature stories for decades. This show is starting to do the same about SW Airlines, ever so slightly for now, and I dont care for that.
safe

ha763

Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:48 am

I would have to disagree with those who feel that showing so much intoxicated pax on the show is bad for WN. It can actually be seen as beneficial. Most of the intoxicated pax that they have shown have been denied boarding, even the ones who didn't look or act that drunk. It even shows that there is communication between the gate agents/supervisors and the FAs about who to keep an eye on. They are showing that WN is being observant and quite consistant in their procedures when dealing with intoxicated pax. If I was just a normal person seeing this, I would be relieved to know that WN would play it safe and most times not let a questionably intoxicated pax on my flight.

Cory6188

Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:55 am

Everyone has made a valid point in saying that the show is predictable. You can only show drunks so many times without it getting repetitive. What else do you think A&E has planned to show?

goingboeing

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:00 am

Cory....do you watch survivor? How many devious schemers can you watch before you are bored? Because they've run enough episodes of THAT crap to have an "all star" show.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos