Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aatripleseven
Topic Author

Delta's New Unforms

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:49 am

Delta Orders Classier, Sexier Uniforms

ATLANTA (AP) -- Cash-strapped Delta Air Lines has ordered up a makeover of its employee uniforms, hiring a big-name designer who promises a classier -- and in some cases, sexier -- look for flight attendants, airport agents and other workers.

The carrier said Tuesday that designer Richard Tyler, whose dresses have been worn by stars such as Julia Roberts, Heather Locklear and Jamie Lee Curtis, will be overseeing the uniform change.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040203/delta_uniforms_13.html

Thought this was an interesting decision. Also found this free video highlighting Delta's uniforms of the past:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/20/earlyshow/living/beauty/main554731.shtml

AATripleseven

flyboyaz

RE: Delta's New Unforms

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:51 am

Didn't they just get new uniforms not too long ago??

aatripleseven
Topic Author

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:54 am

Yep, rolled out the current uniform in 2001. These new ones will debut in 2006.

AATripleseven

aatripleseven
Topic Author

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:56 am

Since they already have a NEW-NEW livery, guess they needed a NEW-NEW uniform to boot.

AAtripleseven

juanchie

Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:15 am

Are there not better ways to spend the money they have? They ask the pilots to take a pay cut, but you really should put money to better work than new uniforms. No wonder the pilots think that management wastes money.

scottysair

Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:28 am

Ah! I'm guess that would like to need change with their new uniforms. When will able to transformed with their new uniforms and it would make too expensive money for that.

jetbluefan1

Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:33 am

Delta is horrible at managing their money - this is the last straw. So they are asking their pilots for concessions, but they are going to use that money to order 35,000 new uniforms? Pilots will not even be getting new uniforms! There's no way the pilot union will agree to these paycuts due to this new news. The millions of dollars could wisely be used to help Delta from staying out of Chpt. 11.

JetBluefan1

HNLFlyBoy

Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:33 am

AATripleseven,

thanks for the link to the news spot about the uniforms. It's a great video. Uniforms are a huge marketing tool for any airline.

Regards,
R

DeltaGuy

Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:39 am

I'm glad the pilots are keeping their original uniforms..they're the best in the industry as far as I'm concerned (Alaska's leather flight jackets run a close 2nd). Love the gold stripes and the double breasted coat with the gold buttons..lookin forward to wearin it one day  Big grin

The FA's uniforms were nice  Sad....I hope the new design isnt too radical. Anyone know if the color scheme is goind to be that different? How soon will we get to see em?

DeltaGuy

syncmaster

Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:45 am

I think one problem Delta has, like many others, is that Delta doesn't have a consistent image across the board, planes (3 liveries), etc...

This is the last thing they have, and it's sad because the uniforms they have now look pretty good!  Big thumbs up

wgw2707

Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:49 am

Their current gate agent uniforms are nice with the distinctive indigo shirts but I think that their FA uniforms could be revised. Just so long as they don't go the way of AA and eliminate the pilot's cap...

-WGW2707

FedExDC-10

Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:56 am

AA eliminated the pilot's cap?!?!? You're kidding!

FedExDC-10

delta fly boy

Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:06 am

Delta's gate agent uniforms are the same as the inflight uniforms.

deltaffindfw

Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:06 am

I do like the current uniforms. Unfortunately, when they introduced it, I also had a gray suit, blue shirt and red tie that I sometimes wore while flying to visit clients. People kept stopping me at DFW to ask questions!! I like the professional business look.

Hopefully the new look won't be a freaky retro look. Hope they don't match the disgusting, greenish blue new interior!!

Ezra

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:49 pm

Was there dissatisfaction with the current uniform? Do airlines routinely change uniforms after only five years or so of service?

AA777MIA

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:04 pm

I can just see a 50+ year old flight attendant in a "sexy" uniform.... Things that make you go hmmm......

Jetmarc

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:24 pm

Again, why spend more money creating something new? Instead of wasting money on Song, why not improve the mainline product they already have? Uniforms introduced in 2001 that dont look all that bad shouldnt be changed when 16,000 employees have been furloughed, employees are taking paycuts and $$ is already tight. Oh well, at least everyone at Delta will go outta business looking fashionable and sexy!! Ooh baby!

B4REAL

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:29 pm

Oh, c'mon, this decision has to revolve around a cost-savings. They get the snazzy designer, but then bid out the fabrication of the uniforms to meet a cost target, likely.

If they would save $2.00 per uniform by getting a new bid on a new design, that could be a very large savings over the life of a uniform.

Jetmarc

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:43 pm

They're probably thinking its a good time to change uniforms since they laid off 16,000 employees - less uniforms to make, less money to spend, better save now!

It'd be a savings if the current uniform design, fabric, or production was improved somehow, but to have an entire airline change into a new uniform is extremely expensive - just as Air Canada had everyone report to work in their new get up on the same day. What's to become of all the already made uniform pieces sitting in warehouses? Employees holding onto uniforms waiting to be called back? My roommate alone has 10 pairs of pants, billions of blue shirts with fake pockets, shirts, dresses, sweaters, and the new red & blue shopping bag pattern scarf.

I think its a waste of money, a waste for the environment, a bigger waste for the Delta Airlines employees....

DeltaMIA

Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:24 pm

Somehow I don't think the number of furloughed employees accounted into the decision to make new uniforms. No matter what Delta spends money on the uniforms. If one company is willing to do cheaper than another then why shouldn't DL take it. I am willing to bet this new design will feature something that doesn't fade as quickly and it will allow DL to pay less year to year for new and replacement uniforms for the ones that are currently out there. Right now the big pitch is on the re-introduction of the white shirt which will probably be a feature in the new design. Employees aren't too eager to jump on this white shirt though because it is required to wear for a males to wear a coat/sweater and tie and females to wear a scarf and jacket/sweater. DL has already had to change uniform providers once since changing to the blue shirts due to poor quality and the new provider has brought out a more durable yet uncomfortable shirt.

FFlyer

Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:27 pm

I think Grinstein (that's his name?) said that DL will from now on have a newly-found focus in customer service. This might be the beginning. Aren't you happy, that is what you have been complaining about? New strategy to improve service, and related issues (uniforms etc.) - isn't that something to cheer about?

If you have to produce replacement uniforms anyway...would it be much more expensive to introduce a new style. No, if you make it cleverly. And airlines ARE changing the uniform styles frequently.

Aren't the employees paying for the uniforms at airlines?

PBIflyguy

Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:44 pm

two thoughts... I agree with everyone that Delta has MUCH better places to spend their money. But I also think that the current uniforms are way too casual... especially on the men. The old uniforms were actually not that bad. I think ties on the men looked way more professional than the indigo shirts with no tie. I also think the indigo shirts on the ladies look as if they are wearing men's shirts.. most of them don't fit and don't look feminine at all.

luv2fly

Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:02 pm

I have to agree with PBIflyguy the current uniform to me comes across as trying to be hip and chic and fails, big time.

KKMolokai

RE: Delta's New Uniforms

Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:43 pm

DL current uniforms are hideous! They do not have a professional look about them, and the color scheme is awful. It is amazing however, that DL can find the necessity in replacing these relatively new uniforms in this day/time. DL truly has an identity crisis ... first they can't decide on an a/c livery, then they can't decide on uniforms. What next?

DeltaMIA

Delta gives its employees an annual allotment of uniforms which can roughly be like 3 pants and 6 shirts or something of that combo. In addition there was an initial allotment that was like 3 times the annual so most employees now probably have 25 shirts, 10 pants, 1 winter coat, 4 sweaters, 2 ties/scarves, maybe a jacket without paying a dime. However if you feel you need more than what Delta allots then the addition is payroll deducted.

ord

I actually like the current Delta uniforms, but they seem to have gone even more casual than when the uniforms first came out a few years ago. When they were introduced, I recall the men flight attendants wearing the blue shirt and tie. On a recent flight the men had on sweaters and that's all. In my opinion that is taking the casual aspect too far.

If new uniforms help improve the image of Delta, then I'm all for it. I'm sure the cost is low since the suppliers probably have to meet a cost goal. And styles change...most people do not wear the same clothes for years and years.

DeltaSFO

Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:31 am

Are you people all clueless?

Oh wait, the "experts" of airliners.net are making their financial predictions. Maybe I should add you all to my respected users list.

jhooper

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:23 am

What a friggin' waste of money! Now I hope the pilots don't give them a dime!

iflyatldl

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:45 am

Not one of DL's brightest moves; not by a long shot! Unless the f/a is due for a D check and then it doesn't cost anything additional, since he/she would have to be retro-fitted anyway.  Big grin

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos