Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kalakaua
Topic Author

Hawaiian Vs. Aloha

Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:06 am

I'm planning to fly back to Honolulu from Phoenix on Spring Break. I really don't want to fly the mainline carriers just because I want to experience the service from the local airlines. From anyone's and everyone's overall experience (i.e. service, comfort, cost, etc...) which airline would you prefer to fly on. I'm leaning towards Hawaiian because of it's direct service, but it really doesn't matter.

Greg

RE: Hawaiian Vs. Aloha

Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:12 am

I wouldn't fly on a carrier that is bankrupt. There is no guarantee that they will remain in service.

AlekToronto

Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:22 am

In my experience both offer good service in Coach Class..
HA obviously has the advantage that it is nonstop, so for that reason alone i would choose HA over AQ.
Another thing is to remember that AQ flies B737NG's over the water and a lot of people seem to be scared of that, where HA flies widebody 767-300's.
Both airlines are friendly, and seating is similar (just a lot less pax on AQ obviously). Food is same slop as on other airlines - at least you get the Hawaiian touch!
AQ offers some dirt cheap fares on its website - check it out!
As for the bankruptcy issue - i wouldn't worry - if HA went out of business I am sure other mainline airlines would accept their tickets - mainly AQ and UA.

cheers!
Alek

B6FA4ever

Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:30 am

well i couldn't help you out on the HA service but AQ is a great airline! seat comfort wise...its really good. i'm a pretty tall guy and the way the seating is its still comfortable for me. food is excellent and prior to landing you get a very warm delicious chocolate chip cookie w/ milk  Laugh out loud

of course another side of comfort is space. AQ flies the B737NG and HA has the B767. of course me personally i'd rather be on a wide body plane but AQ has won my business because of the friendly attitudes from the inflight crews to the ground staff (KUDOS to the SNA AQ team!)

hope this helps in ur decision as well as everyone elses opinions! Enjoy ur trip to the islands!

~B6FA4ever

searpqx

Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:51 am

I've flown both within the last three months, and it's really a matter of preference. If space is available, and you can afford the $250, it's nice to have the option to upgrade on HA. On the other hand, because AQ's 737-700 is so much smaller, if the flights are full, it doesn't feel so much like a cattle car. I will say, the AQ staff, both ground and air, have been consistently friendly, where the HA staff has been a little more hit 'n miss.

The last thing I'd take into consideration, HA participates in more Frequent Flyer programs than AQ, so if collecting miles is an issue, you might take a look at that.

Either way, you'll have a good flight.

Rgds
Duane

mlsrar

Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:53 am

Since it is a pure matter of opinion, I would have to say that AQ is superior in their food offerings in both classes compared to HA. Though both airlines offer a meal service far more competitive than your standard Y-fare you would find on a simliar flight (e.g. BOS-SFO).

There is a certain privacy feeling aboard Aloha's flights, and they never seem to feel as cramped as HA. Plus, you are not waiting with twice the number of passengers to deplane and get your bags.

HA's big advantage is their numerous integration to FF programs.

aloha73g

Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:58 am

Personally, I think both HA and AQ are better than the mainline carriers in almost every respect. Head to head I would have to say that AQ's transpac service is noticeably better than HA's.

Food:
In my experience AQ's coach food is much better than HA's or any other airlines--check out AQ's meals are prepared by Alan Wong and are quite tasty. They are good portions and don't seem to 'airplane-ish'. AQ also uses real plates and silverware. Plus the Cookie is an AWESOME touch. The chicken enchiladas I had on HA was pretty bizarre and reminded me much of airplane food.

Seats:
This may be just me, but I found HA's 763 seats to be very uncomfortable on a 5 hour flight. They seemed to be padded way less than they should have been. It felt like there was a metal bar in my back--others have agreed with em on this too. I put my pillow there and it solved the problem  Smile/happy/getting dizzy I think AQ's 73G seats provide decent comfort for the 5 hour flight. I also felt like AQ may have offered slightly more legroom...not sure of this. Both have wiinged headrests  Smile/happy/getting dizzy (I think!)

Overall:
I think both HA and AQ have the friendliest F/A's around....never had a problem with any of them. I was a little concerned about being on a 737 for so long but I actually think it made the flight better. The service was much more personal since the cabin was smaller. I didn't at all feel like 'another face in the crowd' on AQ. On every AQ trans-pac flight I have been on I have heard local (and loyal??) HA fliers commenting on how much more comfortable AQ's flights are, and that the food is much better. Another bonus of AQ is less boarding and deplaning time.

If it was me I and I had time I would take AQ, but if I was on a tight schedule I would go for HA.

Aloha!

FLIBOYZ

Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:10 am

GO AQ.....Have you checked there websites? I think this was discussed on another thread. Could be a different person I may have been communicating with. Anyway I bought a R/T ticket a few days ago from OAK-HNL-ITO-HNL-OAK for March. R/T total price $299.00. I was shocked. I also have been doing some research on the food quality and in-flight service. I have heard many good things about AQs service. They have won a diamond award for excellent in-flight service. HA has won awards also.

If you go to airlinemeals.com, I hope I have that correct, you can see what kind of meals are served on airlines. Of course keep in mind that airlines do cycle there meals from time to time. Wheter it be monthly or quartely.

I find AQs presence to be friendly, sophisticated, not snobbish, simple yet higer quality than most of the majors.

I really don't care when it comes down to how many stops, if any, of course non-stops are always better. And as for FF miles AQ has a pretty good system. You can accumalate miles from hundreds of businesses.

Good luck on your search and happy flying.

aloha73g

Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:14 am

On every AQ flight you have a choice of earning AlohaPass Points of United MileagePlus Miles.

Aloha!

FLIBOYZ

Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:15 am

OOPS!!! Sorry...it's Airlinemeals.net

Happy searching

FLIBOYZ

Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:21 am

Oh and another thing that I don't have an issue about is flying on a 737 across the Pacific because of 2 engines. NewsFlash......Most of the majors are flying tubes with 2 engines anyway. A 737 is no different than a 767, 777, 757 when it comes to engines. If your talking comfort that MAY be another story.

But that is just my .02.

Later  Wink/being sarcastic

hawaiian717

Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:42 am

I've flown Hawaiian many times between the west coast and Hawaii, L-1011, DC-10, and 767. Last year I had the chance to sample Aloha's west coast service on a HNL-OAK flight. Both are quite good, far better than you'd get with somebody like Delta. Hawaiian is nonstop from PHX, but with Aloha you'd have to stop at SNA. If Aloha was notably cheaper I'd fly them, otherwise I'd say Hawaiian.

I wouldn't worry about Hawaiian being in Ch. 11. So is United. US Airways is out of Ch. 11, but they're the ones whose future is in the most doubt.

David / MRY

HNLFlyBoy

Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:49 am

I haven't had a chance to experience the service on either to PHX myself, but personally I would take AQ. I did fly the new 737NG when they were doing test runs here in Hawaii between OGG and HNL. It is a great a/c and one that I would gladly fly overwater. I have only heard good things about their in-flight service in both F and Y and their food is done under consultation of one of the founders of Pacific Rim Cuisine, Alan Wong. If I can find the site again, AQ's employees have a website and have great pics of the meals posted there. When I find it, I will reply to this thread again with the link.

Cessna172RG

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:51 pm

I flew Aloha domestically from Honolulu to Maui in January of 2003 to connect with an Air Canada flight to Vancouver. The AQ flight was midday, about 30 minutes in length, in a 737-200. Because you could pick your seats, I sat behind the engine, as I think that is the most coolest spot on a 732! Noisy as all can be, it was a fun ride, and although the service on board consisted of a drink and a cookie thing, the flight crew were great and the seats, albeit an old 737-200 with 1970's-ish interior, the seats were nice and clean looking.

I'd fly AQ just to have the chance to take a rocketship ride in a 737-200 over any 717!

Carfield

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:29 pm

I like AQ better than HA...

AQ is serving a real hot meal and the seats are fairly comfortable. If you can get the exit or bulkhead row, it is tolerable.

Enjoy,
Carfield

FLIBOYZ

Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:00 pm

I know, I love the 737-200, one of my favorite aircraft. Actually I like all 737s. I can't for my trip in March.

If they have an upgrade program by March, I will definately do it.

Later

B767400ER

Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:08 pm

As for me, I'd say fly Hawaiian to the islands, and fly Aloha on the islands. I'm personally scared to fly such a small plane to/from the mainland. HOWEVER! I have heard from many that the transpac service provided by Aloha is superior to that of Hawaiian's. It's all up to you though. But with Aloha carrying 3 of every 5 inter-island passengers, I think you got it safe with Aloha.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

kevin752

Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:08 pm

I would pick HA only because I like having a wide body on such a flight due to its duration. Although I have flown an 737-700 on a 5 hr 15 min flight from LAX- ANC on Alaska Arlines and I hated it. But AQ may be a much better airline than AS. Well what ever you decide have a nice flight and great trip.

FLIBOYZ

Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:17 pm

I don't understand why people are so different on a 737 or a 767 or a 777 or a 757 going across a widebody of water on a 5hr flight. It's all the same thing. A tube with 2 engines, sometimes 3 if your lucky and sometimes 4 if your luckier than lucky. One comment was that he was scared to fly such a small plane to/from the mainland. Ummmmm this is NOT a cessna, and once your in an airplane and flying over nothing but water, your the smallest object out there anyway. Well you know what I mean.

I know it's how you feel but I just don't understand it. Once you get in, they are ALL the same. I guess it's just pyschological.

But that is just my .02.

I wonder what would happen if ALL the airlines one day say hey....I know a better way to make profits to/from Hawaii...Let's just switch to ALL narrobody aircraft...hmmm...maybe 737NGs. I wonder how much people would care at this point. Sit back..It just might happen one day. After all, We used to see 747, DC-10s, L-1011s and more widebodies years ago, than it started to change to smaller equipment...767, 777..than came the 757s...and now the 737s are crossing the Pacific pond.

I just WONDER...Hmmmmmmmmm ;-~

HNLFlyBoy

Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:11 pm

Kalakaua,

the link to the AQ Ohana site is

http://www.alohaohana.com

it's a great site! You can view their in-flight meals there. This site is all about AQ employees and is maintained by an employee as well. I am quite impressed with the site myself. Please post your feedback on the site, as I would like to know what you think of it.

kalakaua
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:32 pm

Thank you all for the insights! I still haven't made my final decision, but I;m leaning towards AQ. And HNLFlyboy, thanks for the link, even though it was I who mentioned it in the HNL Rarities thread... Hehe...

I was browsing around the Aloha Inflight Magazine website... http://www.spiritofaloha.com/message/0104/message.html The CEO of AQ has even decided to restore silverware cutlery in COACH!!! Wow!!! It has been awhile (5.5 years) since I've been to Hawaii, and I see Aloha has transformed itself a lot from this long time kama`aina airline!

I just hope that Hawaiian too, would get back on track. Both airlines are nostalgic to me. And I remember when I was young, my family would go island hopping on both airlines to visit relatives on the neighbor islands during the holidays. The memories... That's why I got so interested in aviation, because of both AQ & HA.

HNLFlyBoy

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:22 pm

Kalakaua,

sorry, I didn't even bother to look who posted the link...I was just so excited to share it with you I guess. Yes, AQ and HA have come a long way. HA is celebrating their 75th aniversary this year. I actually prefer HA interisland because of their new 717's. They are so quiet. But, I sometimes take AQ as well. I really want to try AQ trans-pac to the Coast. I wouldn't even care if I was in Y class! My oldest sister was a f/a for CO and that's what got me started in aviation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos