Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

HNL-MNL--Who To Fly?

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:26 pm

Can anyone give me some advice as to who to fly for this routing? I may have to go to MNL later in the spring and am planning on flying C class. The obvious choice is PL (I think I got that right...) non-stop, but CO also does it via GUM on Air Mic. JAL, UA do it through NRT. Lots of choices, but whose the best?

je89_w

RE: HNL-MNL--Who To Fly?

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:31 pm

If you want to fly from HNL-MNL straight, choose PR. Other flights will require stopover(s).

Not too sure about the prices though.

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:36 pm

Je89_w,

Yeah, in C class PR is like $1,700, everyone else is double that...but does anyone know about their service in C? I haven't heard good things about PR's service. I think their a/c is a A330....can't tell if it's a three class and if it is and F is the same price as others C, then I would do go PR.

Quick response...you up too huh?

je89_w

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:42 pm

Well, it's pretty late now, and I have to get up early tomorrow!  Yawn

PR flies their A343 to HNL, actually, and uses the A333 for quick replacements.

Maybe the Trip Reports forum is a good way to see whether PR's service is good or not.  Big grin

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:47 pm

thanks for the info Je....I will look into a Trip Report....sleep well

9V-SVE

Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:35 pm

PAL is not too bad, pretty average...flown them about 10 times (8x domestic, 2x international)...

KL808

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:51 am

Yeah PR has good C class. Its not comparable to JL, but I have to say its darn good. Food is great and service always is good.

drew

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:32 am

KL808,

thank you too for the info. I'll probably end up with PR in C, or maybe even F. Their F is the same as JL's C, go figure and at least it would be a direct flight.

N751PR

Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:14 pm

Maybe the Trip Reports forum is a good way to see whether PR's service is good or not.

Speaking of which I need to get mine up sometime...  Smile

Anyways PR is a good choice since the flight is nonstop to MNL and you don't have to face terminal 1 at NAIA....

I've flown with PR on most of my trips to MNL and all of my domestic flights within the Philippines and I loved flying with them. The food was great, the IFE was pretty average and the F/As were very friendly and helpful.

I believe PR's F and C class seats in the A330s and 340s are a bit better compared to those on the 744s (excluding N754PR). N751-N753PR's First and Mabuhay Class seats are pretty ancient when comparing to other carriers in the region but the in-flight service in those classes is excellent from what I hear.

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:55 pm

N751PR,

Thanks for the advice, I did do a search on the Trip Reports forum. I think it came up with one t/r and I really wanted more information than that, which is why I started this thread.

Thanks to all who have replied so far to this thread.

kalakaua

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:26 pm

Tsk tsk tsk... I wouldn't suggest flying on PR. PR has the reputation to being a not so good airline. It's overpriced and you don't get what you pay for. I rather fly on China Airlines, which is cheaper but has better service and the food is great! The only thing is that, it stops in HND or NRT then TPE then off to MNL. I'm telling you, if you fly PR, you'll be serviced by snobbish flight attendants even though you'll be in "Mabuhay Class." I have flown many times to the P.I. to visit relatives with my parents. CI, CO, JL, KE, NW are better choices. On CI, they serve adobo and cantonese... YUM!

salvation

Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:05 pm

Try out CS (Continental Micronesia). You'll get to fly BusinessFirst (HNL-GUM), and then Business Class (GUM - MNL). Additionally, you'll have lounge access (President's Club) in both HNL and GUM and you'll find the inflight service excellent. The catering out of HNL is the best (IMHO) and I ALWAYS choose the beef or fish meal for my BusinessFirst entree. The Priority Baggage Handling / Elite Access Baggage tags work great in HNL, GUM and MNL so you won't be disappointed.

I can't comment on any of the other airlines as Continental / Continental Micronesia are my preferred carriers.

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:25 am

Salvation,

I will check the fare on CS. Kalakaua confirms the rumours I have heard about PR. I have only heard really good things about CO/CS Business First product and would very much like to try them out. If I am gonna spend the money for C Class, sounds like I might as well do it with them

In another thread on here, I once read that CO, in many opinions, is the only carrier to offer a true premium class service with their Business First product on the HNL-LAX-HNL route. That would also go for their HNL-IAH-HNL and HNL-EWR-HNL routes as well. In comparison, based on each individual carrier's web site that service the HNL/West Coast market, IMHO, I would have to give CO's Business First my vote on its offering of a true premium class product out of HNL. The closest that would come to it would be NW's World Business Class product on their DC10-30, but they apparently have stopped flying HNL-LAX-HNL for now and will restart service soon utilizing 752s.

I have yet to try CO's BF service but plan to later this year to LAX or possibly beyond.

Thank you all for your replies.

JumboBumbo

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:54 am

Any Filippinos out there know what the food is like on PAL? I've always heard from relatives it is good.

While on the topic of Filippino travel, do airlines still allow balikbayan and lakbayan boxes without extra charges when going to/from the Philippines? I imagine PAL does, and I remember when I flew SFO to MNL a while ago (through SEL), UA didn't charge extra.

KL808

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:13 am

Yeah Balikbayan boxes are still used by every Filipino who goes home.

so on the HNL-MNL run you'll be allowed 3 balikbayan boxes if you fly in C.

Food... well I doubt if they will serve you REAL Filipino food. Food wise they rank pretty good.

On Airlines magazine they had a trip report on their a couple of months ago I think it was from MNL-NRT or to LAX I cant seem to recall all the details but the author gave the flight high marks even though the IFE wasn't all that great. That's the only area where PR would lose out.

Trust me your better off going direct. and why fly a single isle aircraft when you can fly on a double isle. More room no?

drew

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:49 am

Sorry if I am being so ignorant, and possibly disrespectful, but Jumbo Bumbo, can you please offer me a further explaination to lakbayan and balikbayan boxes? I am assuming these are boxes filled with gifts, but I don't assume anything any more.

Also, I love Filipino food, the real kind. I really like pancit and pinakbit. Not to much into the exotic stuff. Oh and lumpia, vegetable, pork or banana, YUM! especially when it is still warm.

kalakaua

Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:30 am

Balikbayan boxes are full of gifts (i.e.; corn beef, spam, coffee, chocolates, clothes, etc...necessities that are rather "expensive"). These "gifts" are actually from family members and friends that want you to give it to their relatives. It's pretty funny. If you go to the PAL check-in counter that has a flight to MNL, you'll see folks with boxes and boxes stacked up. An Ilocano would called these gifts "pawit" and a Tagalog would call these "pasalobong."

Even on the return flight, you'll likely would return with boxes of gifts, too. I don't think you'll want to bring home bagoong in a jar. But I doubt that there will be authentic Filipino food being served. I wish to myself, "Lumpia please!! or Pork guisantes!" I'm really surprised that there are people here that know of the Filipino culture. By the way, what kind of trip are you taking to the P.I.?

KL808

Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:39 am

Hindi lang naman pasulobong naandoon paminsan puede rin naman na ilagay ang mga damit mo diba.

hehehe

But yes... Balikbayan boxes or come back home boxes would usually be filled up with food or things you want to give to your friends and family. However the reason they use this is because you can fill it up more than if you put in a luggage.

Oh one way to distinguish a filipino in any airport around the world, is by looking at their luggage. 100% guaranteed filipino if they have Balikbayan boxes with them.

=)

oh BTW i get caught with Balikbayan boxes too sometimes

drew

JumboBumbo

Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:40 am

HNLFlyboy...

Sorry about that, I realized after I posted that many people wouldn't know what Balikbayan was. However, the other posters have done a very good job explaining Balikbayan. I believe (and I'd like the other Pinoy here to correct me if I'm wrong, but I am but a half-breed) that Lakbayan is when coming from the Philippines back to the States. You see, most Filipinos when going back home typically spend at least a month back in the Philippines (and often our family will be asking "why you are taking such a short bacation?"  Smile/happy/getting dizzy ). Hence, when we come back to the states, our family here would expect to bring back things from the Philippines. Bagoong, a sauce made of salted Anchovies, are a classic example of something one brings back from the Philippines along with other trinkets.

L.1011

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:11 am

BUSINESS:
Phillippines $2366
China/JAL/Korean: $2418
China/Asiana/Korean $2418
JAL $2692
Korean $2704
FIRST:
Philippines $3373
BUSINESS/FIRST:
China/Asiana/Korean: $4224
Hawaiian/JAL: $9471
Northwest/Delta: $13752

KL808

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:59 am

JumboBumbo

Im not really familiar with the term lakbayan.

so im not sure what it means. However, if you say that it means traveling from the PI back to the US that seems like a good translation but im not sure.

dont worry im also a half breed.

L.1011

thanks for the price post.

again this shows, why not fly direct and cheaper than fly with a stop and more expensive. Gosh all the extra amenities you get on the other carriers, is that really worth the extra time, and stop.

drew

[Edited 2004-02-07 02:01:48]

[Edited 2004-02-07 02:03:20]

N751PR

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:35 am

oh BTW i get caught with Balikbayan boxes too sometimes

Laugh out loud You're not the only one. Big grin My family drags six balikbayan boxes each time we head to the RP and come back with two lakbayan boxes full of souvenirs for our friends. Big grin

Kalakaua,
I haven't experienced any F/As that seemed snobbish as of yet (flew Y) but one thing I admit is that they surely are pretty senior. (IMO not that age is a factor when judging F/As but dang when comparing to MH and SQ...) So far the ones I've flown with have been friendly and helpful but then again I shouldn't expect all flights to be perfect. Hopefully someday PR will improve its inflight service and amenities but for now I'm satisfied with the convenience of a non-stop flight and a easier connection to a PR domestic flight. But I'm also willing to try out other carriers to the Philippines since I never flown anything outside of PAL ever since UA left MNL so I guess its time for some diversity when flying.  Smile

BTW Kalakaua if you wish, you can notify PAL about the way these F/As have been, please e-mail their customer relations at [email protected] . As loyal as I am to PR, its cruddy to hear PAL F/As doing this kind of stuff when they are pretty much supposed to be more civil and professional than to be snobbish.

KL808

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:56 am

N751PR:

I think the reason why they seem to be older is the fact that it takes 5 years for an entry level F/A to get to do the international segments.

drew

N751PR

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:58 am

I think the reason why they seem to be older is the fact that it takes 5 years for an entry level F/A to get to do the international segments.

I sort of did notice that when comparing F/As on the MNL-LAX with the ones in the MNL-ILO leg but I really didn't know what was the requirements for F/As to serve international flights so thanks for the info!  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos