Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tjwgrr
Topic Author

A&E "Airline" - Tired Of Same Old Thing

Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:24 am

Anyone else feel this way? I'm starting to get tired of the same old thing every episode. Drunk pax denied boarding, drunk pax get pissed off, drunk pax sober up and board later flight or sent packing.  Sleepy

I guess all the unruly drunks make good entertainment, but I'd love to see more behind the scenes stuff from dispatch and operations, pilot flight ops & briefings, hanger and maintenance operations, etc. etc.

I did enjoy the segment of the retiring captain- captain at his home, water cannon salute and the retirement party with Herb....

Also- looks like were down to one new half hour episode a week, with the second episode a repeat.  Sad Guess there's not quite enough drunks trying to board.

[Edited 2004-02-05 17:25:59]

DeltaMIA

RE: A&E "Airline" - Tired Of Same Old Thing

Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:35 am

It also seems more and more celebrities are flying Southwest as well.

iflyatldl

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:26 am

Yep, it IS the same old thing almost every week. Pax has to fly WN....The thought of flying WN makes Pax want to get drunk. Pax gets drunk, pax gets thrown off plane...Pax sobers up, but misses flight...... loses girlfriend, drives off drunk....Supervisor runs off with two gay PSA's to an aircraft carrier for some bump and grind  Big grin

NIKV69

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:33 am

Guys! The show is not even a month old! There has been more than just the drunks in the storyline. The woman who had to prove her son was under 2 was ok, the woman who was mad that they let someone on board with no ID was good. Give them a chance, if after half a season it's the same ol thing then by all means complain. A&E and WN are showing you what it's like to be an employee at WN. Don't lose sight of that. I mean what do you want to see? Some nutcase pulling a gun in the airport and holding everyone hostage? Relax, airline life is not always exciting.

pilottim747

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:37 am

When I get tired of the pax stories (I enjoy almost all of them), I just look at the Southwest Airlines planes and the airline terminals. They've got some cool footage, IMHO. So just relax and enjoy those cool shots of WN planes.

pilottim747

ckfred

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:42 am

It just seems to me that all of the passengers shown are leisure travelers. I would like to see a road warrior that flies 50,000 miles a year blow up at a PSA and see if they get the same treatment as everyone else.

I also thought there was supposed to be an episode that showed the F/As doing informational picketing at MDW.

iflyatldl

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:50 am

Yeah, there is some cool footage, but they keep showing it over and over and now, it's only one new thirty minute segment per week. And how many times does someone want to watch the Vegas bound drunk get thrown off the plane? And the lady wig out because a pax doesn't have ID ? They just need some new episodes.  Smile

tristarenvy

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:52 am

You gotta figure that with very few exceptions, it really IS the same sort of thing every day, over and over. Like watching "COPS" on Fox. Same burglary, car theft, domestic issue, from show to show, just different faces. My hats are off to all who work in the airline industry, for having to deal w/some of the nonsense they deal with!

Just hope that the cameras are rolling when something really unusual happens!

NIKV69

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:57 am

What in the name of GOD do you want? They have done the guy having to change because he smelled, people kicked off because they are drunk, people arriving late and having to be put up in hotels, people cursing at them for a number of reasons, they have done the celebrity angle, shown you some personal moments with employees, there is just a limit to what you can see when people fly, not withstanding a major disaster or someone snapping in the airport there is not that much story line, in the days before 9-11 when non ticket passengers were allowed in the gate I would say go sit there for a full day and watch, it's not the most exciting thing, take the show for what it is. I am sure they have other story lines in the future. I mean what do you want to see?

Mike77

Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:08 am

I think "Airline" is an awesome show. It might seem as if they are doing the same things over and over again, because of all the re-runs they are showing. If you only watch the one new episode per week, it probably won't seem as repetetive. It's not only unruly drunks that are showcased. I can think of 15 different scenarios that have been shown. Everything from the effects of the East Coast blackout, to celebrity-spotting, to the male F/A and his Vegas-bound colleagues, to lost/damaged baggage, etc. You also have to take into consideration that there are not that many different situations that happen in real life...all they can show is what happens - they can't make up stuff.

As to the original poster who said that they wanted to see pilot flight ops and briefings and hangar maintenance...those things are really only interesting to airplane enthusiasts. A&E has to cater to the general public, and most of the world would not tune in for that. People are interested in seeing the cheesy, trashy people and irate travelers.

I am curious if this show is doing well. I love it, but I am an aviation fanatic. I have shown a couple episodes to my friends and they all think it is stupid.

Michael

Demoose

Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:21 am

As I'm sure you probably know, this format has been used in the UK to follow Easyjet for years now - and yes the same old drunk passenger, late passenger, lost passport passenger stories become so boring week in week out but it's still a great show.

Every now and then something interesting will come up, whether its a feature on a pilot and the flight deck, or cabin crew rather than the problems at the check in desk.

The suprising thing is that this sort of tv is popular with the general viewing public and not only aviation freeks like us - I guess the networks are just trying to get a balance between entertaining and informative television.

Mark

SWAFA30

Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:25 am

It just seems to me that all of the passengers shown are leisure travelers. I would like to see a road warrior that flies 50,000 miles a year blow up at a PSA and see if they get the same treatment as everyone else.

See that's just it, the road warriors tend not to 'blow-up' that often. Especially when a camera is stuck in their face. Anyone who travels 50,000 miles a year understands that flights oversell, WX and MX happen and that despite any airline's best effort flights get cancelled. I worked as a Customer Service Supervisor and havinq dealt with our passengers, I know this to be the case. That is not to say I did not get yelled at by the occasional business person, but more often than not they understood that yelling at me accomplished nothing and that you get more flies with honey than vinegar. These folks understood that their time could be better spent working with me to find a workable solution to the problem. As I am sure you can imagine, this does not make very interesting television. I think there are still nine or ten original episodes that have yet to air. How about we all watch the entire run and then judge the show as a whole as opposed to just dissecting the individual parts?

Jonathan L

Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:31 am

I think some episodes have too much "filler" stuff for a 22 minute program. The episode from a two weeks ago wasted a whole lot of time on those guys going to throw the first pitch for the Cubs. Who cares? It was certainly amusing but didn't really have much to do with the "Airline."

NIKV69

Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:43 am

Oh no doubt they use all that personal stuff for filler, like I really want to see a party on an aircraft carrier, give me a break. Like I said when you get right down to it, life at the gate in an airport is not the most exciting and incidents are not always glamourous. I do find the show interestinig but you have to take it for what it is. Knowing A&E they have some good story line planned but will not let you see that right away..They need you to watch the whole season..

SafetyDude

Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:48 am

Oh, okay. I'll send a letter out to the producers tonight via FedEx advising them of some script changes - oh, wait, it's a reality show, there is no script.

They have to make snap-decisions as to what to film, and they are most likely placed with some worker who takes them around.

Things will eventually change.

Also- looks like were down to one new half hour episode a week, with the second episode a repeat. Guess there's not quite enough drunks trying to board.

My guess is that they did not think that the show would "take-off" and did not initially film as much.

Smile
-Will

SWAFA30

Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:48 am

I think some episodes have too much "filler" stuff for a 22 minute program. The episode from a two weeks ago wasted a whole lot of time on those guys going to throw the first pitch for the Cubs. Who cares? It was certainly amusing but didn't really have much to do with the "Airline."

I think A&E may have done themselves a disservice by calling the show "Airline" because people hear that and come to the show with very specific expectations. While the show was still in the production phase, there was a link on the homepage of Southwest.com asking passengers flying into and/or out of MDW and LAX to contact the production company to tell their stories. Why? Because the producers wanted to do more than simply give a behind the scenes look at how an airline operates. Non-aviation enthusiasts would find most airport ops to be about as exciting as watching paint dry. Same goes for watching rampers throw bags or operations agents and dispatch process weight and balance and formulate flight plans. Most of the traveling public could not care less about how we get them there as long as we get them there safely and on time. We may "get" that it is possible to spend an entire day at an airport having no intention on traveling anywhere and have an absolute blast. Most people don't share that opinon. What the producers thought the A&E viewership might find interesting are the personal stories behind people's journeys...hence the segments on the woman going to be on the Price is Right and the gospel choir. It was not some grand coincidence that the cameras happened to be on those flights. They sought these people out and chose to document a portion of their trip. I think much of the frustration people are experiencing with the show stems from a misunderstanding of what the point of "Airline" was in the first place. Has anyone seen any of the print ads or TV spots for airline? The tagline for the show is..."We all have our baggage." It's more about the people, the airline is secondary.

[Edited 2004-02-05 21:53:56]

iflyatldl

Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:50 am

I for one should probably watch the entire run before I criticize the show, but in the eight years as a f/a, I've never seen as many drunks get kicked off a/c as I have in the last three weeks.  Big grin

mjzair

Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:00 am

One thing that I care to mention..
I really do enjoy the show, but, I question the fact that in one of this weeks episodes, a passanger is removed from the aircraft for being intoxicated, and what do they do? - Follow him to his car so he can drive home... Hmmm...

a340pilot

Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:19 am

Here’s a very simple solution.......................

IF YOU LIKE THE SHOW IN ITS ENTIRETY THEN WATCH IT AND ENJOY IT!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE SHOW......QUIT BITCHING AND CHANGE THE CHANNEL TO AMERICAN IDOL OR YOUR LITTLE WWE RAW SHOW! ITS THAT SIMPLE!

doesn’t take a genius to figure this out! Its a reality show, get over it!  Insane

A340pilot

n102daman

Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:32 am

I as a gate Agent think that the show is great. Our jobs are not that glamorous nor exciting all the time. But I enjoy it.

This show is a concept that was brought over here from England. You can watch the original version "Airport" on Discovery wings and BBC America. That show encompasses the entire Airport operation at LHR as well as some others. It is a very good and entertaining show.

here is a listing and airtimes from the discovery channel web site.

network: Discovery Wings
series: Airport (season 6)

episode: Taxi Touts
rating: g

... Airport (season 6) Taxi Touts. Undercover cop Nick is out to catch illegal minicab drivers touting for business in the terminals while Animal Health Officer ...

airing: — Feb 10 2004 @ 08:00 PM [ remind me ]
— Feb 10 2004 @ 11:00 PM [ remind me ]
— Feb 11 2004 @ 04:00 AM [ remind me ]

Good show about the entire airport operations. Thought that you'd enjoy seeing this.

"Fly Widget Fly"
Keep Singing Song"

B6A320

Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:40 am

I think they should also focus on other airports like MCO or FLL. Just my opinion.  Big thumbs up

Justin P.

Jonathan L

Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:43 am

Its a reality show, get over it!

We're offering our opinions on what we think of the show and what could be done to improve it. If you have a problem with that, get over it.

m404

Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:19 am

Yes, I agree. After the Shock or Reality TV voyeuristic kink is over their is not much left. After so long in the pax service sector I'm afraid theirs not much new. I just hope the passengers who see this are impressed with why the agents are so blase about their "unique" problems.

VC745D

Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:33 pm

Looked forward to this show at the beginning but they lost me after following a woman audition for the Price is Right, and by having reruns begin so quickly--hard to tell the difference between new episodes and reruns. Southwest is great, but mostly it reminds me of why I want to fly only as little as possible these days.

Worldwide

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:50 am

For the second season, I would like to see a larger carrier's operation. The producers would get a better mix of passengers because of the domestic and international flights. Not to mention, the viewers would see both business and leisure passengers traveling. And imagine the footage that we could see of other airports like O'Hare, Kennedy, Miami, LaGuardia, and such. I really hope American or United will change their mind and allow 'Airline' to film them. I don't think the show has caused negative publicity to Southwest at all. If anything, it proves that the people behind the counter are just that, PEOPLE! In addition, it also proves how ignorant the general public really are! Just my thoughts.

JGPH1A

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:54 am

N102DAMan - the series on A&E is based on the UK LWT show "Airline" which was about Easyjet and its accompanying horrors. The show "Airport" is/was a BBC show about LHR, also very good, but not showing a particular airline.

tjwgrr
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:00 am

"This show (Airline) is a concept that was brought over here from England. You can watch the original version "Airport" on Discovery wings and BBC America. That show encompasses the entire Airport operation at LHR as well as some others. It is a very good and entertaining show."
---------------------------------------------------

Yes, I wish Airline was more like Airport.

a340pilot

Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:20 am

Jonathan L: Guess your pretty pissed that you couldn't get on American Idol?...........Well maybe next time!  Insane

a340pilot

PS- maybe you could get your 15 minutes of fame on "AIRLINE", not!  Smokin cool

NIKV69

Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:23 am

I really like the show, It was funny when that group disturbed the flight so bad they wouldn't even listen to the captiain. Passengers were demanding free vouchers, I personally would have denied them boarding their connecting flight and banned them from the airline, that behavior is awful and should never be tolerated.. This show is getting huge!! I love it!

GuyBetsy1

Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:29 am

Whenever the US tries to emulate any programme that was initially a success on British television, it turns out all wrong. "Airline" originated from the UK where it was the lifes and day-to-day operations of the other low cost success, EasyJet.

At least EasyJet flew mostly international destinations and you get to see crew layovers at exotic locales like Majorca, Nice and Pisa.

But after having seen both series, I will definitely not step foot on a SOUTHWEST jet. What trash!

MD80Nut

Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:32 am

I've tried to watch the show but being a frequent flier I've seen most of that stuff and more in real life, so it doesn't hold my interest for long. Besides, "American Choppers" is on at the same and to me it's a much more entertaining show anyway!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cheers, Ralph

NIKV69

Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:37 am

GuyBetsy1,

The US doesn't need to copy anything the UK does, and I will bet you when the smoke clears "Airline" will have much better ratings, if we wanted to see exotic locals I would watch Brooke Burke reruns on E!s Wild On.

Your right about the trash though, God you have to put up with alot when you pay less to fly!!!!Yikes.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

SWAFA30

Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:06 am

But after having seen both series, I will definitely not step foot on a SOUTHWEST jet. What trash

Your right about the trash though, God you have to put up with alot when you pay less to fly!!!!Yikes.

Honestly, I have given up trying to explain that the show "Airline" is simply a snapshot of the diverse clientele that WN carries on a daily basis. When you operate approximately 2,700 flights per day, 18,900 flights per week, 75,600 flights per month and 907,200 flights per year it is statistically impossible NOT to have more than your fair share of troublemakers. That is simply the law of averages.

It has further been pointed out that the cantankerous drunks are going to get more camera time than well behaved families and buttoned- down business men because they make more exciting television. WN moves upwards of 80 million passengers per year and they are a cross section of people from ALL WALKS OF LIFE. Was the woman on her way to be on a gameshow "trash"? Was the gospel choir "trash"? Was the Asian couple who misconnected their international flight "trash"? What about the poor Alzheimer's patient and his wife...were they "trash"? Are the 40,000 employees of Southwest "trash" by association? If only "trash" fly Southwest I guess they would kinda have to be wouldn't they? I understand that is much easier and ultimately more fun to ignore the fact all sorts of people fly WN because it does not play into the "Let's bash Southwest" mentality. It is easier to think that this horrible company that has singlehandedly destroyed the standard of service for an entire industry made all of their filthy money by wallowing in the gutter with "trash". No further explanation necessary, I get it. But what I don't get, what I must have missed is when it became accpetable to refer to other living, breathing human beings as "trash".

Is that the word we really want to use to describe other people. I can understand
"disorderly"
"uncultured",
"uncivilized",
"ill-bred"
"ornery",
"common",
"low-class"
I could go on and on... take your pick. Given the way some of these folks have behaved in front of a national television audience I could even agree with that assessment but where I have to disagree is this insistence on equating another human soul with something that you set out on the curb to carted away like so much refuse. Are they equivalent to the discards that are gathered and thrown into landfills or burned? It is one thing to sit and watch all of this go on from the comfort of your living room and pass judgement. But I have worked for this airline for close to a decade and experienced the challenges our Customers present us with, Customers from all walks of life, first hand. I have been yelled at, had things thrown at me, had my character impuned and been called everything but my christian name, by passengers who were unkempt, drunken and barely had two nickels to rub together and well-heeled, well-educated and drunken passengers and had more money in their checking accounts than I will make in a lifetime. But on my worse day, with my worse passenger I would never think to refer to any of them as "trash". I have also looked down the terminal, across the gate or baggage claim area and witnessed identical interactions at the ticket counters, gates and baggage service offices of United, Delta, Continental, and American, et al. I guess they get their fair share of "trash" too.

VC745D

Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:41 am

Southwest has always treated me well--better than some of the majors--and its professionalism comes through on the show. All airlines these days are low-fare, so I'm not sure what avoidance of WN is going gain you except a seat on a major next to some of the pax denied boarding on the show, or one of the babies without a birth certificate, or the humiliated sons of the woman from San Diego who missed her flight but of course it wasn't her fault...etc etc.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:42 am

SWAFA30,

You shouldn't have wasted all that time to write that long post, I know that everyone that flies WN is not trash, I wasn't making a generalization. I can see you are loyal to your company but never lose sight of the fact that your company is successful because you provide a great service at a cheap price but your not as professional as the major airlines such as AA when it comes to everything from check in to flight. I know every pax that flies you is not trash but the person you banned from that flight because of the rowdy behavior was a poster boy for white trash. Your airline just attracts more than other carriers. This is a fact and you have to accept it. Our friend from Canada who originally called your pax trash doesn't really understand.

VC745D

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:39 am

NIKV69--Do you have the data to support your contention that it's a "fact" that WN has more white trash than AA, for example? What exactly is white trash and how are you--or the average AA passenger--different? Seems to me that WN professionalism must have something to do with its success.

NWFltAttendant

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:49 am

Ill those my 2 cents in...

Yep...im sick of seeing boring drunk passengers getting bumped off flights on this show. I have a feeling this shows producer is going to run it right in to the ground. Seems like somebody has a fetish with drunks....

NIKV69

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:49 am

VC745D,

No, their professionalism has nothing to do it, low fares, great turnover, good on time record, lots of destinations and a great safety record. That is why they are successful, lets call a spade a spade here, Please.

Do I have data to support my contention that WN has more white trash than other carriers? WATCH THE SHOW!!

SWAFA30

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:04 pm

Do I have data to support my contention that WN has more white trash than other carriers? WATCH THE SHOW!!

Does it really seem fair to pass judgement or draw a conclusion based on the 9, heavily edited 30 minute episodes that have aired so far? 4 and a half hours of TV and that's all we are?? Nevermind 33 years of operations, hundreds of thousands of millions of passengers carried decade in and decade out but because some drunks get tossed that's all SWA is about. All that hard work undone by a stupid TV show.

You shouldn't have wasted all that time to write that long post

I've got time to kill and I'm an incredibly fast typist.

I know that everyone that flies WN is not trash, I wasn't making a generalization.

Glad to hear that.

I can see you are loyal to your company but never lose sight of the fact that your company is successful because you provide a great service at a cheap price but your not as professional as the major airlines such as AA when it comes to everything from check in to flight.

I guess that all depends on how one defines "professional". We know our jobs and do them well and our balance sheet reflects that. That seems pretty "professional" to me.

I know every pax that flies you is not trash but the person you banned from that flight because of the rowdy behavior was a poster boy for white trash.

Still deeply troubled by the willingness to refer to actual people as trash. White or otherwise. This is supposed to be an intelligent group of aviation enthusiasts, it is beneath us.

Your airline just attracts more than other carriers. This is a fact and you have to accept it.

We will have to agree to disagree. I have been dealing with SWA passengers for years now day in and day out and my anecdotal evidence as an actual employee of this company just does not bear this opinion out. "Airline" simply creates a perception and perception is not necessarily reality.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:11 pm

SWAFA30,

I don't just use the show to place my judgment on your pax, I have flown you once and have been to the ISP terminal a million times. I can see it!

As far as professionalism you may be right but you guys dress down as opposed to other carriers, and have a more laid back approach to things, FAs that like to promote a fun atmosphere on flights etc. This is great but not everybody prefers this, some like the old school. Not saying it's wrong just saying it exists.

freshlove1

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:23 pm

I say can it and put on episodes of MONSTER GARAGE on instead!!

rsmith6621a

Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:08 am

Seem like this topic was discussed earlier in the week.....

https://airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1382906/6/

I was told to read the forum first before posting duplicate topics.

Jonathan L

Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:18 am

A340pilot,

I'm not pissed at anybody. I can even tolerate fools like you on internet message boards that try to shut other people up with insults.

Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:20 am

Errrrrrrrrrr..... The show pretty much sux....

CVGpilot

Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:25 am

Who cares if anything has been discussed before, im sick of see'en people complainen about "OH CRAP THATS BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE HERES THE LINK SEE FOR YOURSELF ERRRRRRRRR!!" -----get alife-----, this "IS" a discission board, everything has been discussed before, just cause one person seen it doesent mean everyone has damn.....

CVGpilot

Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:27 am

Oh yea, and I think the show is cool, I like it so far.

NIKV69

Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:34 am

I love the show! They have a faithful viewer till this show ends! A&E is a great station. They have the best shows. Bill Curtis is one good investigative journalist and his shows are must watch as well . I predict Airline will be huge..

a340pilot

Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:43 am

Jonathan L posted:
A340pilot,

I'm not pissed at anybody. I can even tolerate fools like you on internet message boards that try to shut other people up with insults.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............? How can you tolerate it when you come right back and insult? Now who's the fool?

A340pilot

n102daman

Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:33 am

I am sorry the show is based after the English version of "Airline". Seen quite a few episodes of that one as well. I think that "Airport" however is a great show and wish we could see more of it here. Lots of different issues dealing with lots of different airlines as well as the entire airport operation.

Can we all just get along.

No one is saying that Southwest is a bad airline. We all know that Low fairs bring out all types of people. This is the nature of the airline industry. Maybe there should be three class service again. Pay a cheap fair sit in a cheap seat get little service. Pay an a little higher fair and you get a meal a nicer seat a better service. Pay for first class and get just that first class service. People who travel generally purchase the lowest fair possible and fly on the airline that has the lowest fair. If that brings out the so called "trash" then ALL airlines have the same problem.

"Fly Widget Fly"
"Keep Singing Song"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos