Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KLM11
Topic Author

Lavratory Question

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:38 am

I know this may seem to be an interesting topic, but why do the airlines not seperate Men from Women's Lavratiorys. The ladies would love it more, and I personally wouldnt care. But why hasnt this happened with certian airlies. Especially with the Long Range routes!

Thanks Everyone,

--KLM11
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

jcded

RE: Lavratory Question

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:51 am

just seems more efficient not to descriminate, I mean if you really have to go and you're a woman, and the woman's lavatories are all occupied whereas the men's are not it would just piss off that female passenger and she would still probably go for it in the mens'.
You breathe to do good and have fun.

boo25

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:57 am

Cost!

More toilets = less seats , simple.

i do believe however , that Swissair used to have Ladies / Mens facilities, dont know if that has stayed in the new Swiss setup.

BD1959

Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:21 pm

Because when needs must........

Attended the Robbie Williams concert here in MEL just before Xmas (hey, it was a prezzie for the wife OK?). 90% of the audience was female - tough job but.... - so the "Ladies" just could cope. The "Gents" had a line of women to the cubicles and out of the door.

Once upon a time it might have mattered to have separate "closets". I don't think we need that distinction anymore and - as has already been mentioned, why lower revenue (fewer seats) and increase costs when no-one really cares?

As an aside - and I'm NOT looking at anything racial etc here - do airlines that are clearly aligned with certain religious practices operate separate Lavs??

BD1959

Skydrol

Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:33 pm

Separate mens/ladies are planned for future aircraft interior designs:

New Cabin Features

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

AirframeAS

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:52 pm

It has to do with weight and balance.....also the configuration and the costs to operate lavatories.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

kalakaua

Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:01 pm

An airplane doesn't have much passengers rushing toward the lavatory in masses like at the mall or school, which segregation is necessary. I don't think there are seperate restrooms for men and women in your house.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

tokolosh

Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:32 pm

For long haul flights, why not have a cubicle with two or three urinals for men? Most of the time they only want to take a splash and it solves the age-old wet toilet seat syndrome!  Smile
Did the chicken or the egg get laid first?

AMS

Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:38 pm

Japan Airlines has on domestic flights a toilet, where you can find
special lady amenities, however I don't think that it is forbidden for men to use it.

Also if airlines would make separate toilets,you would have longer waiting times at the toilets, especially on a 747!

Regards,
AMS

flykal

Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:33 pm

Korean Air has toilets designated for women only, on certain A/C (777 and some 744). While the crew will not stop men from using them in an "emergency", they are clearly marked for Women only and this rule, from my observation, seems to be pretty well followed by all male passengers. The 777 has 2 toilets designated for Women only.

There ya go!

Cheers,
Phil
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

AA737-823

Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:44 am

You cannot tell me that not having ladies/gentlemen restrooms is due to weight and balance. Sticking a sign on the door that says "women" would scarcely affect weight and balance more than me sticking my leg into the aisle.

There are not seperate restrooms in my house, as there are only four people living therein. In a plane, however, with 150 COMPLETE STRANGERS with who- knows- what- kinds of bacteria and infections... the segregation might be a sound plan.

I think it's a great idea. Women don't want to use toilets that men have urinated on (honestly, we don't seem to have much aim, and turbulence makes life so complicated in there). For sanitary reasons, I think it makes sense.

R

ushermittwoch

Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:50 am

For sanitary reasons it makes sense for men to sit down, too.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

carduelis

RE: Lavatory Answer

Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:01 am

When I first started flying as BOAC Air Cabin Crew on Bristol Britannias, we actually had a split toilet area at the rear, which of course was the first class section!

The ladies had two toilets at the right, and the gentlemen had not only a pan but also a decent sized urinal, on the left!

We Aim To Please - You Aim Too Please!

Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

AirframeAS

Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:39 am

Im a guy and I dont mean to get too graphic here, but I always sit when going to the lav mainly because A) I dont want to miss; B) I dont want to actually fall out of the lavatory with my pants down in severe turbulance, Ive had dreams of me falling out of lavatories before. and C) I always use those wax paper things before sitting on that toilet.

Please dont laugh! Embarrassment
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

bwc1976

Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:23 am

I would think it doesn't really matter because only one person can fit in there at a time anyway. If planes got big enough that they decided to put in larger bathrooms with room for more than one person, then it would start making more sense to have them be men or women only.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos