Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Bulkhead Rows = Crying Babies?

Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:09 am

OK guys, got a question for ya. When reviewing seats for AA 772's on SeatGuru, I was wondering about a particular comment "A word of Caution, Bulkheads often equal babies."

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this statement? I was under the impression that anyone with kids can't sit in the emergency exit rows? Does anyone have an idea as to the logic behind this statement?

Thanks.
Steve
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

ushermittwoch

RE: Bulkhead Rows = Crying Babies?

Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:15 am

I would think that they are referring to the practice of putting baby beds up for infants.
Not that you wont hear the screaming all over the cabin though anyway.

Wink/being sarcastic
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

FlyingColours

Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:30 am

I think there are (on some aircraft) a little cot type thing built into the seat side of the bulkhead - don't quote me though. I am sure I saw it on a 757 once (Charter airline though)

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

amhilde

Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:45 am

Buddy, from personal recent experience, stay as far away from the bulkhead as is humanly possible. Its one thing to hear the crying from the back of the plane, when you can tune it out with engine noise, but its quite another thing to deal with kids and their parents chasing after them as they run up and down the aisles ALL NIGHT LONG on a transatlantic. Dont ever take the first economy cabin either, go for the second one and go as far back as you can. I havent been on a 777 in 6 years, but from the 340s and the 744s it seems to be a two cabin affair and most all of them have bed thingys that go into the wall on the bulkhead. But its amazing what some people will let their kids do on a plane- and it always seems to involve running up and down the aisle!
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:52 am

American S80 Layout
American 772 Layout

Here's our seat assignments (unfortunately, the middle section.. the window "twos" were already taken):

SEA-ORD - MD-83: 14 DEF, 15D
ORD-LHR-ORD = 772: 31 DEFG
(yes, I realize this isn't technically a bulkhead row, but it's still an emergency exit row, and close to the bulkhead.)

ORD-SEA - MD-83: 12 D, 13 DEF
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

amhilde

Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:01 am

Youll be good on the MD80- ive taken the AA product on those out of RNO and have always enjoyed them, especially since MRTC started. Dont worry too much about bulkhead on those, but its the second one you want to be concerned with. Its really a crap shoot on flights- ive been on flights by the bulkhead and it was totally fine and ive been on others where its been a disaster- you could luck out!  Smile

Birdwatching

Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:20 am

What are you all talking about! Babies are humans too, and tell me if I am wrong, but you all have been an infant yourselves at some point.
Why would you forbid them to run down the aisles? You would have done the same thing!

And NO, I am not a father with 3 kids who is trying to defend their babys rights, I am a student and I dont plan to have kids in the near future. Just give them a break. Go take the train or something if you cant stand being on the plane with a baby for a couple of hours.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

amhilde

Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:25 am

You obviously werent on the flight from hell i had in December when a kid picked his nose while watching me eat and there were 9 screaming babies for 11 HOURS. I CANT take the train transatlantic. I dont care if a kid runs up and down the aisle when everyone is awake, but when you are 7 hours into a LAX-LHR flight and its lights out the LAST thing i want is some snotty kid bumping my arm ( or anyone else for that matter) every 3 minutes while im trying to doze off. Yes babies are people too, but sometimes the parents are completely inept and keeping their offspring under proper control.

airjampanam

Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:32 am

My experience has been on triple 7's the bulkhead seat has beds that flip down!
While the exit row wont have children, rest assured that middle section will be Baby hell!!!!!
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

trekster

Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:37 am

We flew QF 747 400 back from Oz in 2001, we had the middle section bulkhead seats, great legroom and the ptv u could move to any angle.

Any way, we had a couple and there baby next to us, and u know how long the flight is, it did not scream once the entire flight.

They are good seats, andif u have ur earphones in and the volum up, whatdoes it matter

(just watch when u leave ur seat, my seatbelt nearly hit the baby on the head at one point, and i got a evil look of the mother)
Where does the time go???

SA7700

Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:56 am

Some babies will cry the entire flight, others won't. Sometimes it's due to the air pressure in the planes. Some little-ones experience genuine pain and there is no way explaining to a baby or toddler that swallowing or chewing gum, will relieve their discomfort.

On a BA flight LHR/JNB I had a 2 week old across the aisle from me. Not a peep the entire flight! On a JNB/PER sector I had a 6 month old next to me and she was as quiet as a mouse.

On the other hand: I have had little spoilt brats (4-5 year olds) close to me, yelling through the entire night. They finally settled down ± 1 hour prior to breakfast. All hell broke loose when the cabin lights were turned on and breakfast was served. They were extremely cranky and threw tantrums because their sleep was interrupted. I know for a fact that my parents would have given me a hiding to remember.

All a could do was crank up the volume of my headset........
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

PER744

Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:21 pm

Before a long haul flight I always love watching the parents giving their kids cough syrup etc, despite the kid protesting "but I'm not sick". Making the kid sleep is better for the parents and other passengers aswell as the kid.

I did come close to killing a couple of 4-6 year old brats in the Qantas Club the other week, the kids were screaming their heads off, whilst the parents read magazine and chatted on the phone ignoring the kids. I was very tempted to complain and have them removed from the lounge. Screaming children don't make for a very conducive working environment.

MCMAHONSMR

Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:41 pm

I've done the 772 JFK-LHR countless times, seat 30C, and never have had a baby next to me or anywhere near me. In fact, the bulkhead doesn't have any bassinet positions at all. So, I wouldn't be all that concerned. Is the option there to go for the first row of 4 in the back? Those seats aren't all that bad. You get an extra seat of storage, and the TVs pull out from the armrest.

Check aa.com daily if you want to try and get better seats. They usually open up closer to the day of departure.

MCMAHON/SMR