Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetbluefan1
Topic Author

JetBlue:?'s About LA

Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:58 am

So JetBlue is cornered at LGB. What other airport could they expand from in the LA basin? I think it'd be wise for JetBlue to move their LGB operations to another LA area airport that's not slot controlled. LA is a huge market and could support JetBlue's operations. Though they aren't of great demand, the whole city already knows about them.

Would ONT work?

Any input would be appreciated!

JetBluefan1

RE: JetBlue:?'s About LA

Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:25 am

I think ONT is too far from the city center to really work, I dont see many bussiness folks driving from LA to ONT to fly B6.

BUR is too small in my opinion, the only airport I see suitable is LAX but they would have far more competion out of LAX then they do from LGB.

SHUPirate1

Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:46 am

I have to admit, I'm not very familiar with the airport situation in the LA basin, but what about SNA?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

luv2fly

Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:48 am

SNA is also slot restricted.
You can cut the irony with a knife

sebwhite

Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:49 am

I would love to see a BUR base. Closer to Hollywood than LAX, and way closer than LGB.

SHUPirate1

Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:03 am

Luv2fly-How badly is SNA slot restricted though?

Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:23 am

SNA is served by five airlines that do not serve LGB (CO, DL, NW, SW, UA) as well as three airlines that do (AA, AS, HP) added to a great deal of general aviation traffic. So SNA already has roughly five times more traffic than LGB.

ordpark

Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:34 am

And SNA has a curfew that is VERY unforgiving...

mariner

Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:46 am

SHUPirate1:

SNA is very slot restricted. The waiting list for slots has been about four years.

More importantly, there are no RON slots (Remain Over Night) available - unless another airline pulls out. Frontier only got their one RON slot because US Airways (which had the RON slot) stopped service to SNA.

And, as Ordpark says, the curfew is strictly enforced.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

luv2fly

Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:05 am

I did not know the full details tho I remember reading about the curfew and also the RON situation, and the shortage of available slots as well.... Thanks for all who answered the question.
You can cut the irony with a knife

jeffrey1970

Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:50 am

I am not familiar with Long Beach. Is it not possible to expand the airport there?

God bless through Jesus,

Jeff
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

Greg

Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:07 am

Unfortunately--or fortunately if you live there...SNA is bordered by two highways---the 405 and the 73(?). Nowhere to go.

SHUPirate1

Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:14 am

Jeffrey1970-the problem isn't expanding the airport...the problem is the stupid NIMBY's who refuse to allow more service into the airport, as if it is the airport's fault that they decided to move there after the airport was built...the NIMBY's don't want more than 41 departures or arrivals (I think it's 41) into the airport, and so that's all the air service that the airport has...JetBlue has only 22 of those slots (a slot equals an arrival and departure, not either/or), and that's what they are limited by...

deltaflyertoo

Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:32 am

If Jetblue has developed such a strong following at LGB, wouldn't this same crowd follow it to LAX?? Personally, I flew out of LGB last month on B6.. Jetblue was great, but Long Beach is TERRIBLE. Whoever thinks its more convienent is crazy. The long term parking is nuts, unorganized (the drive brining me back refused to go the other lot saying it didn't exist!)  Sad

If B6 can make it against AA at JFK, I think it would at LAX too right? Not to mention their inflight service to OAK blows WN away.. I would think their demand would triple on that route overnight w/ peeps fleeing WN for B6.

sllevin

Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:52 am

I honestly don't know why jetBlue isn't at LAX -- after all, it's not like they chose a "backwoods" airport in New York...

Steve

JAL777

Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:58 am

Unless your flying internationally... JFK was a very "backwoods" airport.

prosa

Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:06 am

I think ONT is too far from the city center to really work, I dont see many bussiness folks driving from LA to ONT to fly B6.

B6 already serves ONT with one daily flight to and from JFK.
While ONT may be quite a distance from downtown Los Angeles, it's hardly in the middle of nowhere. The area around the airport is densely populated and is a major business and industrial center.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

JFernandez

Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:10 am

Still gotta love the little sad face JBLU put on LAX and said "too crowded!" Still gives me a good laugh.

Cory6188

Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:12 am

I'm sure that B6 saw slot restrictions as a problem down the road in the future for them when they decided to make LGB their second "focus city". Why did they still decide to move forward with flights and service there if they were going to have to stop at some point?

The sign of any company's failure is when they are no longer able to expand.

cloudboy

Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:15 am

I have only flown the west coast once, but at LGB, isn't it more a destination airport than a starting airport, with Disneyland nearby? How far is it from LA - it looks pretty far to me on a map...
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

mariner

Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:27 am

Cloudboy:

LGB is quite a schlep from LA - especially if you're going to West Hollywood/Beverley Hills. I make it longer by using PCH, which runs by the coast. I don't do freeways.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

If you're going south, to Disneyland, it's not so bad, but in that case you might as well fly into Orange County/SNA.

The airport itself is a bit of a problem now. The old main building is cute - thirties style - but a bit cramped and crowded. The actual "terminals", the departure lounges and gates, are basic modern and very, very crowded.

Best thing is that the rental car agencies are right opposite the main building.

There are no jetways, all the airlines use stairs. I like this - it's like flying used to be.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Jetmarc

Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:41 am

Rumor at work is that we're looking at LAX. Upper management will never confirm anything until it happens. BUR and SNA are restricted either by slots or runway lengths - we'd have to cap flights inorder to fly trans cons. As a crew base, none of us would like to have to cover both LGB and ONT. (I know AA crews have to cover all 5 airports, yikes!). We did have to dispose of all our "Good-Bye LAX" bumper stickers and postcards - apparently the reason was we quoted a fare on there thats not the cheapest, you can save an additional $5.00 booking via the internet. But I think its because we're seriously considering LAX. LAX would kick butt - plenty of room, no restrictions... if F9 and WN can fly outta there and make it work, why not B6?? All I know is never say never with jetBlue. Said we'd never fly to the West Coast, said we'd never use more than one a/c type, said we'd never fly to LaGuardia... now look...never say never.

What Im hoping is they'll get the City of Long Beach to qualify the EMB190s weight as a "commuter jet" which would exempt them from slot restrictions at LGB and we could grow. Or open and new base at Dallas Love with the EMB 190s and take on AA, DL, and WN in/from Texas!...
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

BN747

Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:44 pm

I started a thread a few months ago asking how long would it be before B6 would show up here...and I caught holy hell for suggesting it. Now it looks like it's now just a matter of time. With the threat of Virgin USA being HQ'ed in SFO..they very well could set up a base or focus city at LAX and B6 has got to be watching VirginUSA's every move! Better yet...anticipating it. Right now, with AA's 10 daily runs to JFK, for an LCC....the market is wide open! B6 would had to dine on 'crow potpie'...but business acumen might suggest it's the wisest thing to do now and reap the rewards later...than try to get in later when it very well may be too late.

I would love to see a BUR base. Closer to Hollywood than LAX, and way closer than LGB.

This not necessarily true, to get BUR from Hollywood you have to either transition 101 to Barham Ave exit to Hollywood Way or via Lankershim...Or take Cahuenga to Lankershim..this can easily (and is almost an everyday disaster) become a nightmare! With Universal Studios, Warner Brothers and the Hollywood Bowl in the way this place always becomes a worse than any nightmare on the 405 Freeway could ever be! Getting Hollywood to LAX has a zillion routes aside from the 10-to-405 or the 405 itself. You can take Crenshaw/Stockton,La Brea,La Cienega, Sepulveda, Sawtelle, Centinela and Lincoln for starters to get to/from LAX if the freeways become parking lots! BUR has nowhere near that many alternatives! And god forbid if there's a concert at the Hollywood Bowl...you might as well just go to the concert...cuz your car ain't movin'!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

AAR90

Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:00 pm

I'm sure that B6 saw slot restrictions as a problem down the road in the future for them when they decided to make LGB their second "focus city". Why did they still decide to move forward with flights and service there if they were going to have to stop at some point?

How about looking at slot restrictions from a different perspective... slot restrictions also restrict the amount of competition you will have to face. IMHO, B6 made an excellent competitive move by getting the majority of a limited resource (LGB slots) and essentially freezing out significant competition to their service.

The sign of any company's failure is when they are no longer able to expand.

B6 may be faced with limited LGB expansion, but that does not limit them from growing elsewhere.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

FA4UA

Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:59 pm

LAX just makes sense. There's room to grow there, and it's closer to LA.

As a student at Cal State Long Beach which is right under the landing path for LGB... the locals HATE the jet noise and are turning their anger towards B6! Just drive around the cute little neighborhoods all around the University and even right by the airport and you'll see countless posters and signs asking for even more restrictions on LGB airport at the next elections.

LGB was a great baby-step into the Southern CA area for B6... perhaps it's time to step up to the "big leagues" at LAX?

SNA is so rediculously restricted it's a laugh! I live right by there and there is always a buzz about slot restrictions, noise abatement, the latest fines, etc etc. Though, it's a cash-cow for all the carriers because everyone that flies from there attaches a nice premium (even WN, just look at all thier fare sales: they always exclude SNA). Supply and Demand! Lots of demand at SNA just not enough slots and therefore not enough room for B6 to operate anything significant there.

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

deltaflyertoo

Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:39 pm

From my point of view, LAX is ridiculous to get to from anywhere in greater LA, esp in rush hour, so forget getting to LGB! Jetblue has definetly branded itself here in Socal, to me it seems logical to go to LAX from here on out. From an advertising point of view, I would think they would reach a greater ad efficiency if they went to LAX in that they wouldn't have to tailor a message advertising themselves AND LGB but rather just themselves.

Contrary to popular belief, LA isn't THAT spread out and most people can find their needs met within a relatively short distance from where they live here, including air travel. LGB is 35 miles from where I live in W. LA. LAX is 10. The fact they have gotten a following this far blows me away, but I really think they'd do better at LAX. I work for a major entertainment company that commutes us regularly from LAX to JFK. Just recently the company announced it would be great if we went B6 to save the company money. I'm sure the company and the employees would be estatic if B6 could move to LAX.

I know gate space is very tight at LAX, but as discussed in other threads about LAX there are gates with very low utilization, particularly in T3! They could possibly get a set up in T5 or T6, if Spirit, National and SUn Country all did, B6 would be just fine. I'm sure all B6 would need is 3 gates and if traffic takes off for them I'm sure LAX would be more than happy to get another 3 or 4.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth from a very satisfied B6 customer, but a not so big fan of LGB!

BN747

Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:59 pm

Deltaflyertoo..T3 is slowly being encroached on ..AS is slowly expanding around the periphery, F9 is expected to have 4 simultaneous departures here shortly when the go non-stop to DTW,MCI,STL and DEN twice a day plus the other DEN flights. 3 gates...T3 is about the best choice for them at this time...but that's really gonna be a crunch. Iv'e seen as many as 5 jetBLUE A320s on the ground at LGB...and if they get into LAX...they'll wanna create a mini-jfk hub here...no doubt about it!

Bottom line...they shoulda jumped into LAX a long time ago!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:59 pm

Or open and new base at Dallas Love with the EMB 190s and take on AA, DL, and WN in/from Texas!...

Open at an airport that's 92% controlled by WN, to take on AA.... "suicide" anyone?  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Greg

Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:45 am

Yes...put 56 seats in a EMB 190 and rule the world.
Not really thinking, are you?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos