Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cloudboy
Topic Author

Old Style Sabre (Reservations)

Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:45 am

Several years ago, there were places on the web where you could see the old ascii Sabre reservations system - the one where they showed the flights and how many seats of each class were available on it. Now with the new system you can't see that info anymore (at least not for non agents). Is there any place you can still see that? I used to sometimes be able to find cheaper flights by booking two legs that had a longer layover - is that why they stopped making it available?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

usflt1778

RE: Old Style Sabre (Reservations)

Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm

eAAsy Sabre was discontinued a few years ago. Sabre claimed that with the prolifieration of web-based technology it did not make financial sense to keep developing command-based eAAsy Sabre in parallel to the other options it offered (e.g., Travelocity).

I seem to recall them quoting a number (<2%?) of users actually booking thru the eAAsy Sabre platform vs. their other products and thus it was not worth keeping.

The best option I have found now is itn.net. You have to create a free user account and **set your preferences to EXPERT mode** in order to view the CRS-style availability (e.g., F9 A9 Y9 K9 B9 U6 V6 T0 Z0). Their search results can be a bit frustrating though; doesn't always show all flights or sometimes shows connections before non-stops.

jjbiv

Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:12 pm

It was called easySABRE. It is now Travelocity. No more CUI to SABRE on the web :-(

joe

John

Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:20 pm

US Airways uses 'native' Sabre entries (at the ATO/CTO) for the most part, although the ticket reissue process has been greatly enhanced, thankfully!

cloudboy
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:10 am

Thanks. I hate the Travelocity interface, and most of the other systems too. Just give me the information I want, and all of it! I hate it when systems try to show you only what they think you want to see!
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

JGPH1A

Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:18 am

I used to love EasySabre, although the Sabre native entries are awful (what the hell is a Cross of Lorraine anyway ?!) - much prefer Amadeus entries, far more logical (plug plug !)
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

jjbiv

Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:37 am

JGPH1A: I know your question was tongue-in-cheek, but two years ago when I was in IND going through basic ATO training with ATA I wondered the same thing and did a little research. Here's http://www.charles-de-gaulle.org/article.php3?id_article=161; all you could ever want to know about the legendary Cross of Lorraine. Notice that the traditional Cross has a lower cross member which is elongated compared to the upper cross member -- which is why I simply call the SABRE key a "cross." Do people really go out of their way to say "Cross of Lorraine"? SABRE makes sense if you try to form sentences (or at least sequences of ideas) out of the entries at first and after awhile you plain use them often enough they become cemented.

joe

freshlove1

Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:44 am

Ah ticket reissues on sabre at USAirways.....the only entry you need to know is w#exch#invol.......takes a few seconds but the ticket is done, all the other stuff they teach you is useless

John

Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:39 am

Freshlove1: Let me tell ya something, I'll collect every dollar in change fees and additional fare that is due off those cheap fares! If you take the time and LEARN to use WFRF, it's actually VERY simple and it's the RIGHT way to do it, not the LAZY(I could care less) attitude! REVENUE is very important to our job security...I've already been furloughed once, for nearly 2 years and I don't plan on going that route again, if I can help it!

jjbiv

Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:49 am

Freshlove1: You just INVOL every reissue you have to do? You're kidding, right? I hope so for the sake of your employer and coworkers. I'd think that such behavior would stand out in the eyes of your station's C-20 agent.

joe

freshlove1

Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:56 am

I understand what your saying, but i failed to mention in my earlier post that you should use that entry for other airline tickets, such as a reroute to DL or AA or something due to flight irregularities. Yeah the WFRF entry works for US to US tickets but there are still some glitches in it. They should have stayed with the old entrys. and i have taken the time to learn it, ill probably run circles around you when it comes to ticketing and ramp operations, but i forgot your prob. one of those union guys who is not allowed to work the ramp because your "bible" (union rules) say so. If your worried about losing your job maybe you should go talk to your unions, insted of worring about a $10 add/collect fee that you have to collect from granny who can barely afford our ticket anyway because they are so high priced.

zrs70

Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:56 am

Ahhh, easysabre. We had so much more control over our flight options then. We could choose the fare class for each leg, easily choose connecting cities, hold tickets, etc. So much more powerful than the "user friendly" systems today.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

freshlove1

Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:06 am

Nope I use the WFRF for the others, as I said I failed to mention that eariler, I only use the INVOL for other airline tickets. But that is what I mostly get when i'm on the counter.

VectorVictor

Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:17 am

Off topic warning...venting below.

I'll collect every dollar in change fees and additional fare that is due off those cheap fares!...REVENUE is very important to our job security...I've already been furloughed once

I still laugh at this cartel-type arrogance.

Not at John. What choice does he have?

Rather, my comments are directed to the revenue management huckleberrys with their MBAs and the VPs of Finance at HQ that actually think that change fees (which on some advance purchase, short-haul tickets could be over 100% of the original ticket price) are legitimate business practices.

I can't think of too many business that are as unaccomodating and disrespectful towards their customers' monies than the airlines.

The first legacy carrier to scrap their rediculous fare structures and suspend all change fees - even if they have to go at it alone - is going to be the first of the "old-guard" to guarantee its future in this business and give WN a run for its money.

Afterall, 100% of my unused Southwest ticket is my money to spend at Southwest for 1 year...why is that so hard for the folks at AA, DL, et al to understand.

latinaviation

Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:37 pm

flyba

Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:53 pm

Does anyone remember being able to access easySABRE through Compuserve's WinCim application back in 1994-1996 (I think?)

I assume this was the same interface.

I agree it was great - direct and quick.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos