Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

richardw
Topic Author

Has Airport Ever Told Airline To Go Away?

Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:17 pm

Do airports always get along with their base airlines?
Do they ever determine agreements/contracts and tell the airline to clear off? More likely to happen with a privately owned airport and not a stock exchange quoted company airport owner I would presume.

sevenair

RE: Has Airport Ever Told Airline To Go Away?

Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:53 pm

I am sure that a French airport told FR to swivel when FR tried to get landing fees free. I am really not sure about which one it was, i Read so many things about the Ryanair rulings last week, but im sure it was french airport. Soon after FR pulled out.i think i MAY have been Strasbourg.

garnetpalmetto

Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:15 pm

I know that when WV was around, CHS once told them that if they continued to miss their landing fee payments (as often occurred in John Tague's 'Rob Peter to Pay Paul' method of management), they were more than welcome to leave.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

richardw
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:24 pm

Would BAA ever ask FR to leave STN?

elwood64151

Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:32 pm

NJ was always less than welcome at MCI, even though they had been trying for many years prior to NJs' arrival to get a hub airline there.

Of course, they really didn't like it when we started holding our PFC payments, but they got (most of) their money...
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

SlamClick

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:08 am

Trenton NJ (KTTN) does not seem to be very airline-friendly. There is a story circulating around Southwest that they rebuffed Mr. Kelleher's offer of service before he announced PHL.

I have dealt with them on behalf of a client airline and the story has some credibility to me.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

FLYACYYZ

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:18 am

Toronto.
Aeronaves de Mexico.
DC-8's.

Way, way back when Aeromexico was known as Aernoaves de Mexico, given it's dubious maintenance record, I recall reading somewhere that Transport Canada pulled its landing rights and suspended it's operation from Toronto, which operated via Windsor to Mexico.

This is in no way a reflection of the current AM, which has been a quality carrier for many years.

ADIOS!
Above and Beyond

Mexitli

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:21 am

Believe it or not, FRG, a GA airport, actually told WN not to come there!! Instead WN went to ISP back in 1999.

SLW-ALB

deltaffindfw

Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:12 am

Technically, the city of Dallas told all airlines to go away from DAL. Congress helped with that also!! Kudos to WN for not listening!!

jjbiv

Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:20 am

Rumor has it that TOL told FL, in essence, to kiss off when/after they left for the second time.

joe

rb211

Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:35 am

I don't know what it is about KATL, but maybe the dominance of Delta there runs alot of international traffic away.
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

CV990A

Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:00 am

I think ISP also told Spirit to leave once they got WN. That and when Spirit had all the problems when they changed their scheduling system several years ago the Port Authority was considering kicking them out of LGA due to the serious problems they caused- at least that's the impression the local TV stations gave me.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

isitsafenow

Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:51 am

I dont know of any that did but I can assure you all that I do know of one that would sure like to with one carrier he(airport manager) has at his airport.
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

KaiGywer

Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:19 am

I am sure that a French airport told FR to swivel when FR tried to get landing fees free. I am really not sure about which one it was, i Read so many things about the Ryanair rulings last week, but im sure it was french airport. Soon after FR pulled out.i think i MAY have been Strasbourg.

I believe this was Charleroi in Belgium.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

graham697

Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:25 am

TOL, tell FL off? Not what I heard and why would they? The fares for the airport would sky rocket making people go to DTW where it can be cheaper.

graham at TPA
America's Favorite Airport

charlieduke

Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:28 am

This may be a fine point, but any airport that receives federal dollars such as AIP funds cannot refuse service from any U.S. certificated carrier. The only exceptions are airports that have federally mandated restrictions such as landing slots. The airport can make it rather difficult for the carrier by not providing desirable gates or adequate counter space, or refusing to accommodate special requests. So in reality, when it is said that an (American) airport turned away an airline, what is usually meant is that the airport did not give the airline the gates/counter space/etc. that it wanted.

Capital146

Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:34 am

I think one or two people are getting confused with FR.

They still fly into Charleroi. They have not been told to leave. FR have simply been told that they have to repay some of the subsidies they received from the authorities at CRL as the EU ruled that it is illegal for a state-owned airport to offer the kind of discounts which FR were getting at CRL.

FR were not told to leave Strasbourg either. The airline chose to leave after losing a court case (brought upon by AF) which ruled they couldn't obtain the level of subsidies they were getting from Strasbourg Airport as it is state-owned. If the airport had been privately owned (ie with no tax-payers cash being used for subsidies) then they could offer whatever discounts they liked to FR and the route would still be flown today.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

KaiGywer

Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:20 am

Capital146, OK. I don't know much about FR vs Charleroi, but I just knew I had heard something about it, and Sevenair thought it was a French airport  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

F9Fan

Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:37 pm

Centennial Airport, CO (KAPA) has consistently refused any attempt at an airline forming there, especially after Denver International Airport opened. There is a major NIMBY factor with the locals afraid of all the noise from B-737/A-320 series aircraft. The airport can't handle those types of aircraft now because the concrete is too thin, which weight restricts the types of planes that can land there.

There was a dispute between the City of Denver, United, and Frontier about gate allocations at DEN. UA grabbed some empty gates on the A concourse during their growth spurt in the late 1990s, and before F9 became a serious competitor. When UA cut back their flights, F9 was greatly expanding. This left F9 looking for spare gates because of all their flights, and UA holding gates that weren't being utilized as much as they had been. The City of Denver was able to convince UA to give some mainline gates to F9 in exchange for more regional jet space.

F9Fan

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos