Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

amirs
Topic Author

Any 707's Still In Commercial Pax Service?

Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:59 pm

I was wondering if there are still any 707's in commercial passenger service these days.
If there are, what;s the economics behind it?
are these planes after refurbishments?
i saw a few years back, while in-transit in NBO some next to the terminal. (dont remember the airlines, maybe Kenya Airways or some other African airline)
Also i have noticed that Iranian Soha Air still operates 707's.

FlagshipAZ

RE: Any 707's Still In Commercial Pax Service?

Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:23 am

Does Travolta's 707 count? It's the only 707 based in the US I know of still capable in hauling people around in non-commercial service. Other than the military 707s, I can't think of any 707 in the commercial mode of transport. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

cedarjet

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:47 am

Saha Airlines in Iran fly passenger 707s. I am tempted to make a visit. That African airline flew Nairobi - Mogadishu - Bombay til a few years ago. Would have liked to have had a ride but I didn't fancy Mogadishu, not even staying on the aircraft in transit. But Iran would be fine.

No other pax services (there was one in Zaire, flown by - wait for it - a pair of 707-400s, nice), plenty of cargo of course.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

jetjack74

Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:11 am

Kalifa Air over in UAE or somewhere in the gulf.
Made from jets!

jetjack74

Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:54 am

And what about Air Memphis. I see them in Amsterdam alot at pax gates. Egyptian registered
Made from jets!

clipperno1

Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:49 am

Air Memphis just started pax service with A320s about half a year ago. 707 are re-engined and only used on cargo runs. A few years ago, however, there was a egyptian airline using the 707 on domestic flights...not sure I think it was Air Sinai or sumpin' like that.
"I really don't know one plane from the other. To me they are just marginal costs with wings."� Alfred Kahn, 1977

cedarjet

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:17 am

Air Luxor (I think it was) got MEA's passenger 707s in Egypt and flew them on scheduled domestic flights for a few years. I guess they stopped last year some time. Those planes weren't in bad shape actually, MEA mx is as good as any other 'legacy' airline ie Alitalia / Iberia / SAA, they were kind of stuck with the 707s cos MEA couldn't get hull insurance on the ground in Beirut during the war so they effectively had to fly planes that had no replacement cost. That's what makes MEA's 707 ops so unique, it remained the frontline aircraft til the mid 90s when their non-Lebanese equivalents had graduated through L1011s and 767s onto A300-600s and 777s. Just cos they were still flying 707s didn't make MEA like, say DAS (Ugandan cargo airline, v scary). Lucky Air Luxor getting such nicely looked after planes.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

aviationfreak

Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:23 am

And what about Air Memphis. I see them in Amsterdam a lot at pax gates. Egyptian registered

Really Jetpack74!?

Please tell me What's the schedule?
This pretty surprises me? Are such airplanes still allowed at AMS?
Can't wait to see it!

Aviationfreak
I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!

Whisperliner

Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:13 pm

Do those 707's still fly with their original interiors? or do you think they recieved refurbished interiors that look modern?

I would be very interesting if the interior had the same equipement around the time they were in service..it would look very vintage.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos