Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fly_yhm
Topic Author

New Airline To YHM

Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:45 am

This monday there is a news confrence at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum to announce a new airline the will be flying into YHM. Most Rumors point to Canjet. See article below.

Hamilton to get new passenger air carrier
Halifax-based CanJet leading contender
By Mark McNeil and Jennifer Morrison
The Hamilton Spectator
A mystery airline is landing in Hamilton and its name is a tightly guarded secret.

Hamilton airport officials say they will announce on Monday details of a "significant" deal with a carrier to run new scheduled passenger flights out of John C. Munro, Hamilton International Airport.

But they won't say what airline is involved or how many flights there will be.

The announcement comes less than a month after Calgary-based WestJet Airlines said it was scaling back its Hamilton flights by 60 per cent and moving its eastern hub to Toronto.

One leading contender to move into the WestJet void is Halifax-based CanJet.

That carrier has been expanding and scouting new locations in Ontario in recent months.

But all Wayne Morrison, CanJet's director of sales and community relations, would say is: "No comment. No comment. No comment. No comment all the way around."

CanJet provides low-fare service to 10 destinations in Eastern and Central Canada as well as Florida.

Last October, the airline looked at nearby Kitchener-Waterloo airport as a possible location for expansion.

Hamilton International Airport Ltd. spokesperson Ken Mitchell said, "Let me put it this way: It will be a good news day for Hamilton. I know you are interested in the name of the airline and where they are flying, but all that is under a very tight embargo. The airline is really insistent on it."

Spokespersons for Air Canada's discount carrier Zip Airlines, Jetsgo, Quikair, Northwest Airlines, and JetBlue Airways all say their airline isn't the one coming to Hamilton.

Montreal-based Jetsgo announced last week it will more than double the size of its fleet with the purchase of 18 Fokker 100s from American Airlines.

But a spokesman said last night the carrier will be adding more flights, but Hamilton didn't figure in their current plans.

NorthWest spokeswoman Mary Stavik said: "We have announced flights, but it's mostly been in the United States."

Quikair is a new Alberta-based airline that recently announced flights between Waterloo Regional Airport and Ottawa and Montreal.

But its president Paul Phee said he has no plans for Hamilton at this time. Quikair flies 10 to 19 seat Turbojet aircraft.

According to the statement released yesterday, Monday's announcement will feature Hamilton Mayor Larry Di Ianni, Transportation Minister Tony Valeri, and Stoney Creek MPP Jennifer Mossop "to give the perspective of each level of government."

Mossop said she was told about the deal yesterday morning by Mitchell, who was so secretive he wouldn't tell even her the name of the carrier.

"I don't have all the details yet, but I think it's definitely going to pick up some of the shortfall that we've had from the losses of WestJet and Fed Ex," she said.

Mitchell said: "When we lost service last month, we just stepped up our marketing to people we'd already been talking to and Monday's announcement will be the result of those efforts. We, as an airport, try to go out and build our business. We take a look at routes that are not being serviced that our marketing shows have potential, and we go to the airlines and present a business case," he said of the airport's strategy.

Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

yow

RE: New Airline To YHM

Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:10 am

I'd say CanJet is the leading contender. There certainly is a void to fill to both Ottawa and Montreal on an at least 2x daily basis. If CanJet wants to expand to 20 aircraft, having a presence in Hamilton would definitely help. Maybe an announcement will coincide with their new aircraft selection.

Andrew

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cyowspotters/

424_sq

Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:53 am

When Canjet was in it's planning stages, they had planned to use YHM for their main base. Could flights from Hamilton finally be coming to fruition ???
It will be nice to see a different airline here.

Tennisace

Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:14 pm

Probably not a bad move by Canjet (if that's who it is). If their strategy is to continue their focus on serving Eastern Canada, then Hamilton is probably their next best bet, as opposed to London or Kitchener-Waterloo. They could do YHM-YUL-YHZ or YHM-YOW-YQM runs, for example, to serve both the 'triangle' and the Maritimes.

We'll see Monday. Thanks for the post Fly yhm.

I would expect to see ZIP in there shortly as well with flights out west

captaingomes

Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:59 pm

That's very interesting, but how about Starjet as the possible airline? Could make sense. However I'd be really happy to see Canjet take over the role that Westjet left behind. This would be a great way for them to expand and take over the previous Westjet turf.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

fly_yhm
Topic Author

Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:55 am

Starjet hmmm
Sadly I've never herd of them.

424_sq

Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:29 am

Fly_yhm

Starjet is the passenger division of Cargojet.

emiratesa345

Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:53 am

That'll be good for people wanting to travel to eastern Canada. Also, CYKF is getting a new airline, Quikair.

EmiratesA345 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

flyyul

Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:57 am

Could it be ZIP..

With a YUL-YHM/YOW-YHM?

CanadaEH

Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:00 pm

If Westjet has said that its YHM-YOW/YUL routes were not profitable, how would an airline such as Canjet be able to pull it off? The majority of the passengers that fly to YUL/YOW from YHM are connecting through YHM from points west. What do you think?
EH.

fly_yhm
Topic Author

Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:19 pm

Canada Eh
Westjets story about YHM-YOW is exactly that a story. Why would they have started off with 2 flight daily then to 3 then to 4 then to 6 only to go to 0 flights per day? I recently flew Westjet the POP and I was coming home I had a quick chat with a WJ F?A he siad it was because they got a good deal from the GTAA which we all now know. It was best said by a local politician that WJ said that to possibly come back to the routing if it fails from YYZ.

Is there a website for the starjets airline? I have never herd of them.
FLYYUL its not ZIP as the article stated unless they just wanted to keep in under tight lips.

Jetsgo would have been nice.

Stay tuned tomorrow I will post the news as soon as I hear it.

424_sq

Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:47 pm

What I believe is YHM-YOW and YHM-YUL for Westjet was doing alright, but why not move over to YYZ and fly YOW and YUL , it will be more profitable! There's probably money to be made in YHM but even more money at YYZ, and that's the name of the game. When Westjet began flying into Hamilton they were still relatively small potatoes. They had trouble getting access to YYZ. Now they are one of the strongest airlines and Canada, and therefore provides them with more clout and stature when it comes to negotiating with airport operators. IMHO

If you look at the basic history of that route (YHM-YOW) you see that in the 80's Nordair flew 737's, then City Express flew Dash-7 and Dash-8 aircraft, then along came Canadian Partner with EMB-120s and Jetstreams. Things kept going downhill aircraft wise to Laurentain Air and Pemair 10 seat King Airs. No action on the route for a number of years, then whammo Westjet starts it all over again with 737's. This route has always been a struggle. I find it hard to believe that the service could be operated by 120 seat aircraft at one point in time and gradually degrade to 10-12 seat aircraft and still not fill just this small number of seats. I guess marketing has a lot to do with it and the attractiveness to the paying customer of aircraft type used. Of course in the 80's it was no big deal to fly short routes with relatively large inefficient aircraft, as fuel costs were much lower.

I wish the new airline, if they choose YOW and YUL out of Hamilton all the best because it's not going to be easy.

fly_yhm
Topic Author

Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:55 pm

The reason why they don't fill the seats on the Turbo prop flights is because people don't like the props some reson why US air express and Continental express both left.

I also wish this airline luck who ever it might be.

dripstick

Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:10 pm

I'm not sure who it's going to be. Jetsgo, Canjet, and Zip have all been sniffing around. IMO, only one or two flights per day to destinations like YUL and YOW should be serviced out of YHM to make a go of it.

What about trans-border or trans-oceanic? Chances are remote but one never knows...stay tuned.

Dripstick

What's another word for thesaurus?

Jean Leloup

Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:46 pm

The Press Conference starts in fifteen minutes (10 a.m. EST). Broadcast live on the Hamilton website! http://www.yhm.com
Jean Leloup - original a.net moderator (2001-2005) and still recovering!

captaingomes

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:11 am

Looks like it is Canjet! Hmmmm, wonder how many gates they'll be taking there, and if it will leave much room for Westjet to return if they decided to? Go Canjet, make us Canadians proud!
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

Jean Leloup

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:14 am

It's Canjet.

YHM-YOW 7 days/week
YHM-YUL 7 days/week

Starting April 19th, the same day WS (mostly) pulls out.

No YHZ (yet), apparently. Julie Gossen said they'd be adding a 7th aircraft within a month, and continue to grow thereafter. But no mention of what aircraft type. (Rumour has held 735, etc.)

[Edited 2004-02-16 16:22:00]

yhu

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:19 am

Is that 7 times a day they will fly? Would seem strange that Westjet, even with it's onward connections, couldn't fill 5 times a day to YUL. At least, the flights I took were no where near full. 7 Times a day however, would be good.

Dave

Jean Leloup

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:21 am

Sorry, I meant 7 days a week. I am nost sure what the proper notation should have been.

Canjet certainly does not have the aircraft to institute 14 daily flights form YHM at the moment.

captaingomes

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:08 am

Well, we were all wondering when Canjet would make an announement, and this is a start. Now I look forward to the aircraft announcement. Seems to me it will be 737-500's for the time being, and medium-term will be new generation 737's.

yhmfan

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:01 am

I fly to YUL once or twice a month on business. I am assuming that Canjet is not aiming for the business traveller.
The Westjet flight frequency fot YHM-YUL was managable but Canjet offers one flight a day at mid-day. As much as I love to support them I cannot see how I can effectively waste two days for a 2 hour meeting. I live 15 minutes from YHM but, Hamiltonian pride aside, I will have to go to YYZ.
So I wish them the best of luck and hope they can make it with leisure travellers. But unless they add one more flight or move the one daily flight to morning or afternoon the business traveller will not be there.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

fly_yhm
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:06 am

yhmfan
Why dont you just fly yhm-yow-yul for the 1 1/2 drive to YYZ its probably the same as yhm-yow-yul.

captaingomes

Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:31 am

One and a half hour drive to YYZ from YHM? Maybe in rush hour traffic.

fly_yhm
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:35 am

ya during rush hour but if you read his post he is a business traveller so if he cant take the 11amish yhm departure he must want a flight during rush hour. Does that make you happy.

captaingomes

Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:43 am

Yup, that makes me happy.

yhmfan

Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:19 am

Thanks for the suggestion on YHM-YOW-YUL Fly_yhm.
I would do it of I could. I visited the Canjet site and, as far as I can tell, there is only one YOW-YUL flight a week (on Sunday) and no YUL-YOW. Did I make a mistake?
As far as the rush hour to YYZ is concerned, I will support YHM even if it is a half hour more. In the days that USAir flew out of YHM I used to go to BDL a few times a year and, as much as I could, I flew YHM-PIT-BDL instead of drive to YYZ and fly YYZ-BDL.

fly_yhm
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:25 am

yhmfan
When Canjet announced these flights I search yhm-yul and I got a yhm-yow-yul

Mon, Apr 19
Flight 302 7:45 am Depart Hamilton (YHM)
Through Ottawa (YOW)
10:05 am Arrive Montréal (YUL

Here ya go.

yegbey01

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:00 am

I just hope that CanJet drives Westjet out of the hamilton market.

I say to Clive.. Good riddance.

fly_yhm
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:19 am

yegbey01
Unless Canjet can start flying into western Canada that insn't going to happen. now if they could do that then it might be possible since Im sure the YHM catchment area has some hard feelings with the departure of some WJ flights and with CJ saving the day.

To Everyone
Now that there are 2 differant airlines here that also serve YYZ could this open up other airlines eyes to say hey what are we missing out on? Also What other US destinations could CJ get into besides florida?

yhmfan

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:15 pm

Thanks Fly-yhm.
You are right about YHM-YOW-YUL. I'll be on it.

YOW4NOW

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:32 pm

Not to take away from the success at Hamilton, I've always been amazed that as the population that serves YOW has been increasing at a steady rate, none of the LCC's have opted for hub service in Ottawa. Between Ottawa and Gatineau, there is a population in excess of 1 million. Seems to me this would be a good base from which to hub from, as there is certainly the population to support it. The next largest airport nearby is YUL, and that is at least 1.5 hour drive from here. (Rush hour would be longer!)
Regards

yegbey01

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:48 pm

Yow4now,

Agree with you here. WestJet stuck with Calgary (they replaced CP there). And now they move to YYZ.

But YOW has a brand new facility. No congestion. easy turnaround. good location. As you said, large catchment area. beats me.

CanadaEH

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:50 pm

YYZ is Canada's largest city and Westjet is moving into a brand new facility in TNew, is it that hard to understand?
EH.

fly_yhm
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:40 pm

CanadaEh
its a little stange considering that.
Air Canada
Jetsgo
Canjet
and some smaller regional airlines

operate yyz-yow and yyz-yul already. You might see this as a yhmer complaining which im not because CJ is coming anyway so. It just add to pile but atleast the seats will be crazy cheap.

yhmfan

Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:24 am

CanadaEh
What is hard to understand is, when you compare YHM to YYZ, YHM is so much closer to the Westjet "formula". It is a secondary airport close to a major city and with a significant catchment population. Plans were in progress to expand and modernize the airport.
as Fly_yhm mentioned, Westjet is now one of many players in YYZ.
I am not an airline executive but I believe, and obviously Canjet executives believe, that YHM is a viable alternative to YYZ. Westjet was simply offered a deal it could not resist by GTAA.

Goose

Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:36 am

Yhmfan,

WestJet's "formula" is simply to weigh options of profit vs. loss, and make choices which will maximize their profitability. Flights out of YHM to places like YOW and YUL were often flying half-full and usually less, from what I've been told. YYZ offered a better solution, a better facility, and the ability to be smack in the middle of the Toronto catchment area.

Plans were in progress to expand and modernize the airport.

Those plans have been rattling around for some time now.... and YHM still does not have a pax terminal. Apparently the HAA hasn't been that pro-active in building their new passenger terminal, and WS probably couldn't really expand much more in YHM (and all points east for that matter, that would be hubbed out of there) without a real terminal with jetways et al, or at least some expansion of the ramp area and baggage-processing facilities. YYZ already have those facilities in place for WS to use.
"Talk to me, Goose..."

captaingomes

Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:03 am

Westjet's forumula has been changing. They came onto the market by serving the secondary airports with jets, and having low operating costs. They have created an enviable name for themselves, and are now able to compete head on with the big boys, and potentially attract higher yields while keeping operating costs lower than the competition. No doubt, this means moving flights from secondary airports to primary airports. It's part of their maturing process, and it should work out well. Canjet is still very small in comparison, so having them serve the secondary markets will likely be beneficial. Will it drive out Westjet from these airports? Not sure, but it could happen. There might not be enough room for both at an airport like YHM.

yhmfan

Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:17 am

Goose;
I did say in my post that Westjet received an offer it could not resist. They could very well have made the right choice for the short run. My reference to “formula” is not about the bottom line (that goes without saying for every business!) but every successful enterprise also has a vision, business model, mission statement…. Call it what you wish. The Bay and Zellers are owned by the same people and want to make money but they do not do not use the same formula.

Captaingones;
IF Westjet formula has changed then their move makes sense. Good luck to them, we need someone to keep AC honest!! I guess only time will tell if there is an airline patient enough to nurture YHM’s potential and reap the benefits in years to come.

yow

Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:25 am

Canjet is still very small in comparison, so having them serve the secondary markets will likely be beneficial. Will it drive out Westjet from these airports? Not sure, but it could happen. There might not be enough room for both at an airport like YHM.

As long as the two airlines don't step on one another's toes too much, they should both do quite well.

YOW4NOW, unfortunately YOW will probably never be a hub, being stuck between two hubs already. However, YOW still is a secondary connection "focus city". If we could get the connecting pax numbers back up to about 10%, that goes a long way to maintaining growth. In 2002 only 6% of YOW pax were connectors. But in 2000, 11% of pax were conneting thru YOW, which is still the busiest year in the airport's history....2004 is shaping up to be as good as 2000 or slightly better, so let's hope this trend continues.

Mark_D.

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:15 am

Yhmfan-- when you compare YHM to YYZ, YHM is so much closer to the Westjet "formula".

With Westjet now gearing up for 'the big cahuna' of the YYZ-YOW-YUL Rapidair Triangle, I think they're in a different ball game now, and have moved on from earlier niche "formulae" and into --for what it's worth  Smile -- the "big leagues" of Canadian domestic air passenger travel. Who knows, maybe they had this planned out all along, and YHM served its purpose for them whilst they established a market beachhead in Ontario and points East. And perhaps always intended to swap ops nearly entirely over to YYZ a couple years down the road, no matter what the state of the respective terminal upgrade work at both airports. And which, since YHM still doesn't have any jetbridges and YYZ for its part has a massive brand-new terminal raring to go, maybe only facilitated the choice for them all the more so.

In any event it's very sporting of CanJet to swoop on in here, right down to the day, and pick up a bit where Westjet will leave off. I said several weeks ago when Westjet announced their big move that I thought they were overdoing it by canning YOW-YHM entirely, so I hope that Canjet by stepping in and filling the void there somewhat can make it work and pick up some loyal customers in the process. O&D customers mostly, that is -- since let's face it, when it comes to a route like YOW-YHM it seems that mainline-ops carriers are really starting to look at the fine tuning and filling out of their network, rather than doing any 'brick and mortar' foundation work for it instead.

YHM has a fairly-large geographical catchment area, especially with the Red Hill expressway soon to be added to the mix to facilitate Niagara peninsula residents to shuttle to and from the airport. While to the West even folks as far away as Kitchener-Waterloo could probably consider it a "home airport" for themselves too, if the driving weather's not too bad.

So at least one 732 daily departure to and from the (million-strong) Ottawa catchment area year-round seems feasible to me. And maybe two departures in summer season. In this case Canjet is opting for three -- to me that seems maybe a tad over ambitious even for summer service but oh well I hope they can make it work anyway, especially for Hamiltonians and Niagara-area residents' sakes.

YHM-YUL on the other hand I think is sort of a horse of a different colour. Okay granted for the few times a year the Alouettes and Ti-Cats would need to fly to each other's home venue it would come in handy but other than that I don't see much of a market for the route, outside of maybe a couple times a week in winter and perhaps three or four weekly departures in summertime. If Canjet is in fact going to route it through YOW along the way then that makes more sense, especially if they have great pricing on the YOW-YUL part of the journey so that there's considerable interest in just that segment alone.

yyz717

Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:29 am

Westjet's forumula has been changing. They came onto the market by serving the secondary airports with jets, and having low operating costs........No doubt, this means moving flights from secondary airports to primary airports.

Ummm..no. Westjet started flying in 1996 on the YYC/YEG/YVR triangle. These are hardly "secondary airports".

YHM is only 1 of over 20 airports that WJ flies to.

Their formula is hardly changing, other than moving beyond their original Western Canada base.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

yhu

Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:54 am

Yeah, I think Westjet's formula, to be put in it's most basic form, is and always has been to get the best deal possible from an area airport. Up until now, in the greater Toronto area, that has been Hamilton. GTAA simply gave them a better offer to operate out of Pearson. That means that Westjet is still operating with the same formula as before, which is keep costs as low as possible. At YYZ, they are getting a good deal for the facility and access to a large market.

Dave

Goose

Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:36 am

I can see YHM becoming a parrallel of WestJet's operation in Abbotsford; two airports within the same general region, one used as a hub - the other not. YVR is being developed as more of a "hub" for WS' flights to smaller places like YLW and YXS, and possibly more come the arrival of transborder and charter destinations.

The GTAA offered WS a good deal, no doubt.... but I think the fact that WestJet has seen some awesome performance since its entry into YYZ was a deciding factor; I've heard that flights from YYZ to points west like YYC and YEG have managed to out-perform parrallel flights out of YHM and YOW. YYZ could also offer aspects which would improve WestJet's operation that YHM could not.

That, and the fact that the HAA is seen as having been "dragging its heels" on building a new pax terminal, as I believe CanadaEH has mentioned before on this forum. WestJet is growing phenominally, and moreso in the East.... and YHM's facility apparently couldn't keep up. WestJet also - probably - didn't want their pax to be walking out on the snow, ice, and elements in the middle of winter..... but that's just my guess.
"Talk to me, Goose..."

CanadaEH

Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:52 am

Yeah, I think Westjet's formula, to be put in it's most basic form, is and always has been to get the best deal possible from an area airport. Up until now, in the greater Toronto area, that has been Hamilton. GTAA simply gave them a better offer to operate out of Pearson. That means that Westjet is still operating with the same formula as before, which is keep costs as low as possible. At YYZ, they are getting a good deal for the facility and access to a large market

Better deal? That is the worst analysis of Westjet's business model I think I have ever read in this forum.

Westjet tried to make Hamilton into a viable hub, but with the capacity they put into the airport in such a short period of time that was not possible. Routes were not making money and the HAA did nothing to support Westjet's operation. As I did mention a while back, the HAA sat back for 2-3 years in cruise control instead of getting a move on things and building a terminal. Plans were made, plans were decided and agreed upon by both WJ and the HAA, but the HAA did nothing to get a move on!

The people of Hamilton should be placing the blame on the HAA instead of on the airline that's simply trying to run a business in the most efficient and profitable manner. If you can't understand that I suggest that you take Economics 101 or look at the sad state of our national carrier - Air Canada.

YHM has done very well for Westjet, and it is a viable airport to offer service from. The drop in flights reflect a more realistic level of capacity and service can/will grow in the future if the demand is there. I believe that we'll re-start some YHM-YOW service sometime in the future, but in the meantime capacity is being placed where profit and revenue can be maximized. Welcome to the future of the airline industry...

If you'd like to read up on the battle between AC and the GTAA over Westjet's move into TNew, read up here:
http://www.stikeman.com/ac/uploads/GTAA%20MR%20Kaldeway%20Affidavit.pdf
If you're basing your information on what that loudmouth Shiela Copps is saying, I suggest you find a better source of information.
EH.

yhu

Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:17 am

So you think that Westjet is paying the same very high fees as the other major airlines at YYZ? That they were not given any kind of a deal?

Goose

Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:22 am

So you think that Westjet is paying the same very high fees as the other major airlines at YYZ? That they were not given any kind of a deal?

On the fees? I personnally don't think so. I think the facility - and giving WestJet preferred access to the TNew facility - was the major draw over YHM for WS. TNew gives WS plenty of room to grow into. Plus, I heard that YYZ's load factor has been consistantly higher than YHM by a good margin.
"Talk to me, Goose..."

CanadaEH

Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:12 am

Show me the facts that state otherwise and I'll believe you.
EH.

424_sq

Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:22 am

"Routes were not making money and the HAA did nothing to support Westjet's operation. As I did mention a while back, the HAA sat back for 2-3 years in cruise control instead of getting a move on things and building a terminal."

Tradeport (HAA) spent $15 million on improvements to YHM. This past year the apron was expanded to allow better access to the terminal, the parking lot was tripled in size the terminal was expanded as best could be done with limited space.
Tradeport was interested in building a new terminal. As I understand it Westjet couldn't decide on how many gates they required at "Westjet International Airport", ...so much for Westjet's thought out eastern expansion plans. The money was not there for the terminal expansion as federal government money was sought after, but of course the government has washed it's hands of airport financing. Tradeport did not have the financial backing it needed. It is not a surprise in current era of an unstable airline industry.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes in dealings between Tradeport and Westjet. Maybe Westjet began getting cold feet on expanding its YHM routes due to below expected, loads therefore the need for a larger terminal was not required. I would think that it would be suicide for YHM to put all of it's eggs in one basket and do whatever Westjet asked of it.
As Tony Battaglia (CEO of Tradeport) stated there is a balance that the airport has to meet to keep fees within reason. Do they push ahead and build an expensive new terminal and pass along these new higher fees that come with it, to their customers (airlines), or expand when there is a need. The airport could have built this new terminal, and Westjet still have pulled most of it's flights out and where would YHM be then, with a huge white elephant. Maybe Tradeport got an inkling Westjet wasn't convinced Hamilton was the hub that they wanted for the future and slowed down it's plans for a new terminal.
I would not say that the terminal is wholly inadequate. It is not overcrowded and so there are no passenger bridges. What's the difference.. you have to walk further outside from the car to the terminal than from the terminal to the aircraft. I am sure YHM is not the only airport like this (YQG, YXU)

As far as Tradeport not doing what is in the best interest of Hamilton, I beg to differ. Before Tradeport came on the scene the airport had very little cargo or airline service. Developments that have occurred since they became involved include the construction of three large new hangars, Puralotor and UPS sort facilities have been constructed the, runway expanded to 10000 feet with new lighting and completely resurfaced. 8 acres of new apron. A new taxiway to the Westjet hangar and for future development, security fencing around entire airport and there are many more. The airport made money for the first time in it's history when Tradeport took over control.
Westjet unfortunately is not the only operator from YHM. Cargo accounts for a large portion of the airports business. Hamilton could not lose sight of this fact and had to keep improving the infrastructure for it's cargo operators, (resulting most recently in the apron expansion)
Tradeport could have sat back when Westjet pulled 60% of it's flights, but it did not and as a result Canjet will operate this spring.
The airport may not be the best facility in Canada, but it is far better than it was 10-15 years ago. I hope this trend will continue and more great things will happen for this airport.
End of rant for now.

CanadaEH

Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:52 pm

424_sq, I posted the following when we announced our move to YYZ, maybe this will clear things up:

"Back in 2000, Westjet had plans to expand its presence at YHM. Discussions took place between the airline and the HAA about Westjet's future growth and what YHM could do to accommodate them. The HAA proposed and designed a terminal with 14 gates - a design which Westjet supported, and it was understood that the terminal would be constructed in time to meet Westjet's needs down the road.

A year passed by and the airport hadn't even begun construction. Around this time, Westjet started operations to YYZ. Since the HAA hadn't started construction on the new terminal yet (and perhaps due to changes in the market?), Westjet let them know that they only needed 7 gates. Shocked, the HAA had to redo its design of the terminal and came up with a new design with 7 gates - again, a design that Westjet supported. A year passed, and again - the HAA hadn't started construction on the new terminal yet.

One can assume that the Hamilton Airport Authority brought this move on themselves. If Westjet had plans (years ago?) to rapidly expand in the east during 2004 (and were under the impression that a terminal would be available in YHM to accommodate the growth), these plans were probably not reversible. With no more room to expand in YHM (thanks to the HAA), Westjet probably had no other choice but to move to YYZ."

If what you say is true - that the HAA didn't have enough funds to create a new terminal - than Westjet was left with no other choice but to move to YYZ. After all, it was Westjet who approached the GTAA. You also bring up a good point in that the HAA shouldn't have put all its eggs in one basket. Who's to say that even if YHM did build a new terminal that Westjet wouldn't have redeployed capacity elsewhere?

In the end, Hamilton will offer service on not one, but two airlines with access to flights across Canada.
EH.

Dash8King

Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:15 pm

I just hope that CanJet drives Westjet out of the hamilton market.

I say to Clive.. Good riddance.

First you didn't like Westjet because they didn't offer aeroplan and business class. It appears with the last statement you just don't like them. Is this Steve Smith? Or some other ex-employee?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos