Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

clickhappy
Topic Author

Can Anyone Tell Me Which Hawaiian Plane I'll Be On

Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:49 am

Does anyone here know which tail number will be flying Hawaiian 21 on this Friday (the 20th)

I am hoping for one of the newer birds, not those clapped out ex-LTU machines

LMP737

RE: Can Anyone Tell Me Which Hawaiian Plane I'll Be On

Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:03 am

Which flight is number 21?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

ha763

Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:15 am

HA21 is SEA-HNL.

The only way you would get the information is if someone in Ops gave you the info. Also, the a/c rotation only shows 3 days max and is only what is planned. It can and sometimes does change daily based on current ops and needs. Most employees don't know until that day what a/c will be taking the flight.

KaiGywer

Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:17 am

And if HA works the same way as XJ, the plane will change several times during the day, depending on which ones break down.  Big grin
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

LN-MOW

Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:44 am

Royal, shame on you! Why don't you travel on TZ? Friday is our inaugural flight SEA-HNL!

- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

socalatc

Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:52 am

Ummm.. Let me think... Its going to be the big white one with wings and 2 engines, and it will have a bunch of seats inside to sit on. Does that help??

clickhappy
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:38 am

Andreas, I have a ticket from last year, thats why  Smile

If Hawaiian goes bust while I'm there I will call you up  Big grin

HNLFlyBoy

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:15 pm

FYI - HA 21 SEA-HNL on the 20 Feb will operate as a B763-ER. ALL of HA's Transpacific and South Pacific flights now operate on that type of equiptment as the DC-10's were phased out over a year ago actually. I am on my first HA 763 flight also on 20 Feb, HA 2 HNL-LAX.

clickhappy
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:01 pm

I know which type  Smile but I wanted to know what tail number....if you have ever flown Hawaiian, or you work for them, you know what I am talking about  Big grin

HAL

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:34 pm

Clickhappy,

Since I am currently on furlough, I don't have access to that info. But when I was working as a Hawaiian FO based in Seattle, I would check the computer info the day before the flight, and at least 10 to 20 percent of the time I'd end up with a different plane than the computer said I would have. Sometimes they'd switch with the other (HNL or OGG) flight if one or the other had a mechanical problem, or if there had been a problem with a late plane in HNL the day before there were often quick gate/plane switches at the last minute. Someone with access to the CrewTrak system could help, but I wouldn't bet on it being right.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

HALFA

Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:21 pm

Clickhappy,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as of this moment, flight 21 on Friday is scheduled for AC #585 which is a former LTU plane, and I agree with you, I don't like flying on it. For that matter, none of our flight attendants do.
However, as stated in another post, the AC schedules aren't set in stone and it's very possible it can change. For your sake I hope it does.
Hope you have a nice flight whichever plane you end up on!

Aloha
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

SpeedbirdHeavy

Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:29 pm

What is wrong with the ex-LTU planes?
China Airlines...Come fry with us!

HALFA

Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:39 pm

Speedbird,
The carpeting is old, the audio/entertainment system is archaic, it doesn't smell "new" like our other new planes, there are no coffee makers in the mid galley so we have to walk all the way forward or all the way aft if we need to get coffee for someone, the seats recline into the persons lap behind them (it's quite awkward), the first class seating configuration is bad. (there is no bulkhead separating seats 1CG, from the Flight attendant jumpseats) and on night flights, people are always tripping over the legs and feet of the people sitting in these seats. I could go on and on and on........................

Aloha
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

HAL

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:33 pm

I could go on and on and on........................

And I will...

The cockpits are dirty, the equipment is old compared to the brand new planes we have, and since they are old, they're much more likely to have a mechanical problem that will cause a delay. The pilots don't like them either.

They were advertised as being in 'great' condition, but once we leased them, it cost HA a small fortune (and longer than expected) to get the planes into shape for us to fly.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

je89_w

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:35 pm

Wow, that's quite a number of reasons!  Wow!

Bluewave 707

RE: Can Anyone Tell Me Which Hawaiian Plane I'll B

Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:24 pm

I flew on N590HA and N591HA back in September 03, they were pretty nice inside. Were these the newer HA birds reasonably fresh from the factory? I liked the headrests that folded to prevent getting a sore neck!
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

ha763

Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:20 pm

Boy do I know about the trouble it took to get the ex-LTU's into service. I was still working at HA at the time. Each aircraft took way longer than planned to enter into service. Then the mechanical problems and the differences between the 767s, like the SELCAL. Also, about 1AB in FC , the bulkhead is a little closer than on the rest and is probably the same for the other side. I could actually place my feet flat against the bulkhead from my seat. I could just touch the bulkhead with my toes on 580-582.

Bluewave, 590 and 591 were delivered new from Boeing. The following is the breakdown of the 767s:

580-582:new with old interior (4 doors)
583-ex-LTU with 4 doors
584-586-ex-LTU with 3 doors
587-593-new with 777 style interior (2 doors, 2 overwing)

clickhappy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:52 am

tell us the story about the Hawaiian employees who were wined and dined (and then some?) and got fired  Big thumbs up after they agreed to purchase those clapped out LTU birds

soamsky

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:10 am

Hawaiian airlines is going thru financial struggle, so my bet is they are flying you on a DC-3 Big grin
Soar the blue of the South American Sky

dl1011

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:11 am

"The cockpits are dirty, the equipment is old compared to the brand new planes we have, and since they are old, they're much more likely to have a mechanical problem that will cause a delay. The pilots don't like them either.

They were advertised as being in 'great' condition, but once we leased them, it cost HA a small fortune (and longer than expected) to get the planes into shape for us to fly."

The mechanics don't like them either! They smell like old gym socks and nicotine. Open up a panel and it's yellow and covered in tar.

HAL

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:51 pm

They smell like old gym socks and nicotine

Yes! That was part of the problem with the cockpits in the LTU planes; the LTU crews smoked up there, and the smell just won't come out.

HAL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos