Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Experiences W/Southwest & In-Flight Fun?

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:39 am

I'm an "Airline" addict & saw the episode last week (I think) with the F/As on the MDW-LAS leg. On this flight, there was a lot of "fun" that you normally don't see with other airlines (the female F/A singing as they came aboard, a game where the passengers had the chance to guess the combined age of the F/As, etc.). What else do Southwest F/As do to have fun during the flight?

I remember that the captain wished me a happy birthday (My mom had mentioned it when I was in the cockpit) over the PA on the only WN trip I flew, MDW-CMH in 1993. One of my friends also said that they went MDW-LAS & had the F/As sing:

"We love you, you love us. We're much faster, than a bus..."

Has anybody on here seen anything like this on their WN trips? I think that's neat that they do that & try to have fun with the passengers....look forward to seeing it if I ever end up on them again!

DeltaRules

[Edited 2004-02-17 03:51:42]
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

ssides

RE: Experiences W/Southwest & In-Flight Antics

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:42 am

Interesting that your name is DeltaRules ...
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

NWAFA

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:46 am

DeltRules

Yea it is so unprofessional. Flying on them 3-5 round trips per month to commute to work gets SO OLD. You just want to say SHUT UP.

I love when I am working High Business flights that WN also flies on and you hear over and over and over from them how great it was NOT to hear the stupid childish jokes and laughing for the whole flight.

For the once a year trailer trash, they love it.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:51 am

Just to clear things up, when I started the thread, I wasn't being sarcastic or smart-assed...I think it's cool that they do that. I'm not bashing Southwest- I like how they have fun in-flight from what I've seen on the show....granted that isn't a lot of experience & it probably can get annoying, I was just looking for your experiences with them.

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

NWAFA

RE: Experiences W/Southwest & In-Flight Fun?

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:54 am

If I hear: (sung to the Flintstones song)

"southwest, fly southwest, the discount carrier in the sky"

Ill scream!

Or the "no one love your money more than we do at Southwest". Enough!

FrequentFlyKid

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:13 pm

Say what you want, but they are making money, so it seems like a lot of people do enjoy them.

sllevin

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:26 pm

I love all the fun and jokes on Southwest. It's one of the things I miss about flying "conventional" airlines -- although sometimes you get someone with some humor.

STeve

rjpieces

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:48 pm

NWAFA, the only Loco I've flown is B6 so I'm curious, how do you compare B6 to WN? I know WN generally has the "trailer trash" stereotype but how true is it really? Is it possible to be a Loco and avoid that stereotype!!!!

Now that i'm thinking about it, every wealthy person I know in NYC refuses to go near WN but is more than willing to fly B6....
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

OrbitJFK

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:56 pm

"Now that i'm thinking about it, every wealthy person I know in NYC refuses to go near WN but is more than willing to fly B6...."

Well, not to be a smartass, but JFK is a bit easier to get than ISP so you could understand why NYC'ers would prefer B6. Almost all of my friends and my family on Long Island love flying SW because of the convenience, cheapness, and friendliness. SW doesn't have cache, and I don't think they are targeting the wealthy demographic. JetBlue, although targeting middle and lower class people, does seem to aim more at the upper class IMO.

ORBITJFK

cancidas

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:02 pm

they're like ryanair. they get you near your final destination but you won't pay a lot.

personally i have yet to fly HP. i for one would not mind that kind of atmosphere on most flights, but when you're doing business i can understand how it can be frustrating.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Tango-Bravo

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:03 pm

Two of my experiences with Southwest stand out as evidence that their People know how to have fun and share some with their Customers:

1) After landing at PHX and beginning the taxi to the arrival gate, the F/A had made most of the obligatory safety announcements, after which she announced...

"and for those of you who will be leaving us here in PHX, I have a traffic alert to pass along to you, especially if you will be driving east on I-10 toward Gilbert and Ahwautukee... you need to be on the lookout for a black Chevy Cavalier travelling at a very high rate of speed..."

At that point it became so quiet in the cabin that you could hear the proverbial pin drop. She then continued with the rest of her traffic alert,

"...That will be me; I'm going home!"

2) On another occasion, as we approached the gate on arrival at PHX, after giving the final caution to remain seated until the aircraft has come to a complete stop, the F/A handed the microphone to a young boy about 5-6 years of age who finished her announcement with "thank you for flying with Southwest."

Cory6188

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:07 pm

Going from OAK-LAX on New Year's Eve, they sang a song about WN while taxiing around LAX to the tune of Auld Lang Syne. It went like this:

"Thanks for flying WN today,
We really loved having you here!
So please remember we got you there,
and that we got you there on time!"

Actually we got in 15 mins early (on an hour and 20 min flight, no less!).

sprxflySWA

Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:23 pm

I'll tell you a sad state of affairs in my mind. That is hearing the same style from F/As of different carriers.
Flying on Horizon Air 2 weeks ago, hearing the same old lame jokes, etc. What astonishes me the most are the people who are hearing them for the first time. But, that is who they are targeting.

canoecarrier

Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:35 pm

I know I have always had a good experience flying WN. The staff, both at the gate and the inflight, have always seemed very friendly. I can't say I've heard the singing flight attendants, but I do know for what I pay for the ticket I certainly wouldn't complain, especially if I depended on them to get to work "5 or 6 times a month".

I have flown on various other US carriers as a NR and paying customer and think Southwest has been very enjoyable. As I'm sure it has been said here, they are very high in customer satisfaction, because people walk in expecting "an ounce" and if they provide more, which they always have for me, you leave very satisfied.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

txagkuwait

Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:37 pm

well, it was not fun or frolic on this morning's 10:05 from El Paso to Phoenix.

Just incredibly pleasant and courteous FAs.

125 + or - seats filled out of 137 on a 737-700.....and 2 rounds of beverages.

1:15 gate to gate was done 10 mins ahead of schedule.

Probably 100 of those 125 seats were occupied by people wearing business suits or a female equivalent. I kept looking for a bag lady or a punk rocker wearing a hefty plastic trashcan liner (not to mention the safety pins stuck in his nose) but to my dismay there were none. I guess they caught HP.

FedExHeavy

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:37 am

I've only flown Southwest (nothing against other airlnes, it's just WN is the cheapest the majority of the time, so I'll drive the two hours to Midland to catch a flight.) anyways my flights have been mixed the only two things that standout in my mind is when landing in Vegas the captain coming over the intercom saying 'whoa!, whoa!" when were slowing down. and on a flight between ABQ and PHX a steward while doing the usual in flight annonouncments commented that 'this is a non-smoking, non-toking flight, needless to say many groans broke out on the plane and the potheads left disapointed, they had snuck there bongs aboard for nothing.
FedExHeavy
So far this is the oldest I've been.

[email protected]

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:46 am

Absolutely superb! Well done WN! Far better than a boring, quiet cabin. Nothing better than friendliness and being fun.  Smile
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

NWAFA

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:48 am

Fed-Ex heavy

You may find the "whoa" cute and funny, but that confrims that the FA is not being SAFE or care about the saftey of the PAX!

That FA should be (and is REQUIRED from the FAA) to be in a "brace position reviewing emergency procedures" UNTIL the a/c has turned off the active runway!

Shame on them!

zrb2

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:50 am

On a Saturday eve WN flight last year from BWI to BUF there were about 30 Bills and Patriots fans enroute to the game the next day in Buffalo. They were seated in the back. These guys were shouting and just obnoxiuous the whole flight. Then about 15 minutes into the flight the F/A's gave them the PA system to sing or rap or do whatever....Just have fun. Needless to say the rest of us were begging the F/A's to stop the torture of hearing these people sing and shout over the PA system. I'm telling you, my buddy and I wanted to get up and smack these guys but we would have been overrun. I like to have fun as much as the next guy but in a little tube at 30,000ft. I can't handle people constantly shouting especially over the Mic.

NWAFA

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:03 am

Zrb

Now picture a business man trying to get some work done. Its old and sick doesnt it!

ua777222

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:03 am

I have flown SW many times and every time is a new expearence. I guess if your not the type of person who is the "no frills" kinda guy/gal then you probably shouldn't be flying SW. It's not like the second you get your ticket your signing up for a hell of a ride, I have been on many SW flights that have been quiet and calm. I say take what you can get out of airlines these days. It's good to see an airline be as involved with their passangers. I know that when I travel that sometimes their cheer and party like tendancys help me get through the day. I would fly SW alot more but their hubs other than oak-lax are too rough for me and they can't depart on time to save their lives. But the only airlines that I know that even come close to consistant on time departures is UA and Delta.

Good Day!

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

NWAFA

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:38 am

UA777222

You are so right about the "on time thing". On time for them is as long as its within the 14 minute window allowed!

goingboeing

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:46 am

A little note for the LUV FA's...on another thread, NWAFA had this to write:

I wish the WN Flight Attendant all the best and hope they get everything they are asking for! They deserve it!

Personally I think they sold themselves out short last time..they caved into the company Kool-Aid. Hopefully they learned and are mad now about it.

Stand tall and Firm SWA! You will get what you want..show them!

Let's sample some of that support in this thread, shall we?:

Yea it is so unprofessional. Flying on them 3-5 round trips per month to commute to work gets SO OLD. You just want to say SHUT UP.

or

Or the "no one love your money more than we do at Southwest". Enough!

or

You may find the "whoa" cute and funny, but that confrims that the FA is not being SAFE or care about the saftey of the PAX!

or

Now picture a business man trying to get some work done. Its old and sick doesnt it

Heck....with "friends" who think that highly of you, who really needs enemies?

NWAFA

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:48 am

First of all, sounds like the truth hurts you.

Second, I wish all my fellow airline people the best of luck regardless if I like them or not.

Do I like WN, nope not at all! Personally "I" think they are the reason why the industry is in the trouble it is today. "I" also think WN is the fall of the legacy carriers.

[email protected]

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:06 am

But the funny thing is WN is one of the most profitable airlines in the USA, and probably more profitable than all the "legacy" carriers. The airline business is all about the survival of the fittest - and who are the fittest? Those which are well-run businesses. Clearly, it could be justly argued that WN is a well-run and fit business, whereas the traditional carriers - who are losing a lot of money, including over one billion dollars (AA, I believe) - are evidently not. In my opinion, WN is doing an immensely good job of shifting the goats from the sheep.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

SWAFA30

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:10 am

Couple of things....if the levity offends you, fly another carrier. It really is as simple as that. In this day and age especially, we value each and every Customer but, it seems non-sensical, bordering on masochistic for someone who hates the way we operate to continue to subject themselves to an experience that they find unpleasant.

There are soooo many choices out there now, often choices that are even cheaper. If I started a thread entitled "Southwest Airlines is always the cheapest!" , there would be 100 replies disagreeing with me within half an hour. At least one of the other major carriers matches or beats our advanced purchase fares on most of the routes we fly. Like I said before, we are not in the habit of turning away business but I wonder sometimes if people fly Southwest just to prove to themselves who horrible it is. The word is out now...no surprises. Everyone knows exactly what to expect and please understand that it is not going to change. Some flights(like mine) are quiet and ordinary, others are raucous and lively. What kind of crew you will get on any given flight is a crapshoot. If corny jokes, dumb songs, and the occasional game of SWA Trivia are not your cup of tea, you might not want to roll the dice.

Next, I need to point out that these are not maverick flight crews taking it upon themselves put on a floor show at 35,000 feet. This kind of behavior is heavily promoted and strongly encouraged by management. There is book that is printed every year with new jokes, games and songs. Every year our CEO, President and assorted VPs hold "Messages to the Field" which are town hall type meetings throughout the system where they can interact with the rank and file. At the end of each of these gatherings the employees are permitted to approach a microphone and ask senior management questions. Well, a few years ago when jetBlue first appeared on the scene all anyone at SWA was talking about was whether or not we were going to get some kind of IFE. So, a flight attendant stepped to the microphone at one of these Meetings and asked SWA President, Colleen Barret when and if SWA was going to get IFE.
Colleen's reply?....."Darling y'all(the flight attendants) are the inflight entertainment!" Yes, she was serious. I think that story pretty will sums up management's viewpoint of inflight hijinks. They think you...the traveling public want it. I'm not a song singer or joke teller but from time to time I do work with them. When done well and at the appropriate time I can tell you that most of the passengers eat it up with a spoon. We hear the comments as passengers are deplaning..."You guys are so much fun!"....."That was the best flight ever!"....."Will you guys be on crew on the return flight???" Now out of 137 only a portion might have thought the corny jokes were funny...but see those are the ones that write the letters to headquarters talking about what a great time they had, those are the ones that choose to come back because of they experience they had. Now, I understand there were also passengers onboard who just wanted Chatty Cathy in "A" position to shut up and pass out the peanuts but those folks don't write letters. They just quietly book away from SWA or grin and bear it when they can't find another fare elsewhere. Which passenger group do we make happy? If we kill the shennanigans the people who booked on us expecting the full "Southwest Experience" are disappointed. If we keep the shennanigans, the passegners who don't go for that sort of thing are annoyed. Again, who do we tick off. It is not as simple as saying the business travelers want peace and quiet and the leisure travelers want the "fun". Some of the same businessmen and women on a 6am flight from HOU to DAL that wanted peace and quiet, now expect a song or two with their Amstel light on their return flight at 5pm.

The bottom line is management thinks...you, the Customer want the songs and the jokes and they will contiue to think so until you consistently tell them otherwise.

[email protected]

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:14 am

"you, the Customer want the songs and the jokes and they will contiue to think so until you consistently tell them otherwise."

And I bet 99% of all WN travellers probably DO want the songs, jokes and so on. The problem with A.neters is that they're all very overanalytical, whereas 99.5% of all other flyers couldn't give a damn about it all and just experience it and move on.

SWAFA30

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:21 am

Do I like WN, nope not at all! Personally "I" think they are the reason why the industry is in the trouble it is today. "I" also think WN is the fall of the legacy carriers.

Terrorists fly AA and UA widebodies into the WTC, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania, forever changing the face of commercial aviation but WN is the enemy?

If we want to look at the industry pre 9/11....Don't blame WN, blame deregulation. As they say on the streetball courts..."Don't hate the player, hate the game."

luv2fly

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:23 am

I agree if you do not like the WN FA's fly someone else! Expecially NWAFA, if they work your last nerve like you say they do, and since you never have anything nice to say about them, take your business else where, do not let the cabin door hit you in the A#@ on your way out of the aircraft. Oh wait, they most likely let you fly free, so that makes it ok! Hmmmmm, can you say hypocrite.....
You can cut the irony with a knife

NWAFA

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:24 am

SWAFA,

My comments are not against you. Please here me there!

I have to admit my fun layovers are usally at the bar with a WN crew! I also have to admit I think I have only paid once or twice for a "drink" while commuting home from a trip on WN.

Jumpseat70

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:01 am

Dear SWAFA30,
The terrorists could just have easlily flown a WN jet into the buildings...I think you were right about the Deregulation concept. I don't think 9/11 had anything to do with WN's success. It has to do with very smart marketing, advertising and Mr. Kelleher's management. WN delivers a product and those who fly it are familiar with the product. WN does what it does very well.
"Up, Up and away with TWA"

SWAFA30

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:14 am

The terrorists could just have easlily flown a WN jet into the buildings...

My point was less about whose jets were used in the 9/11 attacks and more about the fact that the attacks themselves had a a greater impact on the industry as a whole over the past few years than the presence of WN in the marketplace. It was not my intent to say that AA and UA were suffering now because their aircraft were used in the attacks. They would have suffered the impact of 9/11 whether their aircraft were involved or not, the fact that the terrorists, by happenstance, chose these particular carriers is of course completely outside of UA and AA's control.

JBirdAV8r

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:22 am

For the once a year trailer trash, they love it.

Wow, that was highly offensive. Anyone that flies once a year is trailer trash. Nice. Won't be flying Northwest again anytime soon.

You best remember that YOU are representative of YOUR airline. Your comments speak for the entire airline. As a flight attendant, you should be acutely aware of this.

Not all travelling businesspeople are old, stuffy men wearing suits. My girlfriend's dad, in finance, travels almost every week (and increasingly on WN) in casual clothes. He likes a little levity on airplanes.

Is it unprofessional? No. Is it easy to tune out? Most definitiely yes.

Besides, what better way is there really to work? These people are doing the job they love, and making it even more fun. As flight deck crew, I'd love to work for them. Sure the pay isn't quite as much, but having fun with your passengers--and in turn having fun with your job--is certainly enough to fill that gap. Humor and happiness are good for health.

My advice is that if you have no other option except to fly Southwest, and are a stuffy, cranky person, you just invest in a pair of noise-cancelling headphones and bring a laptop and occupy yourself.

Or hire your own jet.

[Edited 2004-02-17 19:28:15]
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

ClipperMonsoon

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:36 am

Had an experience while jumpseating in the cockpit a few years back on WN from LAS to SMF, after meeting the capt and f/o an "argument" broke out between them as to who was going to fly this "dang thing", but this was settled quickly after the capt pulled a fake knife on the f/o. All in fun of course, definately one of the better flights i have been on.
The true Queen of the Skies has an HF antenna probe atop the stabilizer, the Boeing 707-321B

dadoftyler

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:37 am

Look, twerp, what galls me about you is that you constantly, consistently and publicly bash Southwest--which is fine, we're not everyone's favorite, that's why they make Fords and Chevrolets--and then take advantage of the benefits we offer you as a Northwest employee. Then, to top it all off, you come back here and bitch EVEN MORE!!!

A heartfelt, sincere thank you for being nice to the agents and crewmembers you've dealt with at Southwest, even though as a non-rev YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE NICE TO THEM.

I still maintain that as an apparent frequent pass traveller on us, it's rude, tacky, and downright gauche to behave as you do in this forum. And your understanding of the business sucks.

And my life's not miserable, you twit. I just get my dander up when I see people publically biting the hand that feeds it--or, in this case, the hand that feeds ME. I'm sure you have pass bennies on HP. Use 'em.

As an aside, my experiences flying on Northwest are, almost exclusively, very good, and the two or three that have been less than enjoyable will remain *off* a public board like this. I add this sidebar in *not* to try an appease you, as I don't give a hoot what you think. I just want to make the point that I don't play your game, pal...

NWAFA

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:39 am

I actually pay full fair on WN (it is cheeper than my ID90's and I get my points)

So nonrev or not I still treat them nice because thats what I do, not because I HAVE to as you say!

WorldAV8R

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:45 am

Back on topic...

I admire WN for their knack of providing a different type of product years ago, while understanding the nature of profitability and rolling the dice to assume there would be enough customers that will follow their methodology. Personally, I do not fly WN. Strictly because in the markets I tend to fly, I like to be able to search for the best offer. WN rarely offers it. Therefore, if I am going to pay to fly I would like the ammenities that I paid for. It usually comes down to convenience, as well.

Simply put, I do not like WN's strategy so I do not fly WN. I am not going to bash them, because, after all, there turned out to be enough marketshare to run their business they way they do. No IFE. No participation in any 'travel sites'. Fun way of flying. Etc. Etc. More power to the management and the traveling public for cornering the marketshare where they have.
Next Trip: STL-ORD-LHR-ATH-JMK

737doctor

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:55 am

Dadoftyler, the thing you have to remember is that certain individuals on this forum will never have anything complimentary to say about our airline and will bash it every chance they get. Arguing with these people is like wrestling with a pig in mud; after a while you realize that the pig enjoys it...  Big grin
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

PA110

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:10 am

NWAFA,
Wow, it sounds like you have some serious entitlement issues. Don't blame WN for the troubles at the "big 6". Their business model just works better than yours - plain and simple.

As for humor on flights - any decision to use humor on flights should remain the decision of WN based on client feedback. They're obviously doing quite a few things right when you compare their balance sheet against NW.

Get over yourself!

By the way, the funniest thing I ever observed on a WN flight (between OAK and LAX) was an F/A being hoisted into the overhead bins and left there for the embarking passengers to find. Both the passengers and F/A had a huge laugh.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

canoecarrier

Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:30 am

NWAFA,
I think you should take a long look at the profitability of your own airline, and their relations with their employees, before you start to criticize WN. I don't even work for them, but reading what you have said has only make me realize why I do like them.

Alright, if I want first class and an international flight, I'll fly someone other than WN, and I assure you it would not be NW. However, it's all about price, frequency, and service. Southwest has all three. Most people wouldn't want to fly 5 hours in a 737, but if you're going LAS to PHX I'll bet the price is right and there's 19 flights to pick from.

[Edited 2004-02-17 21:31:37]

JAFA

Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:27 am

I also work for NW and I have flown SW quite as few times for business, never as a non-rev. I enjoyed my flights and I don't have anything against the employees at SW. In fact most of the jokes were quite funny.

SW has a great business model for them because they are making money. It has hurt the legacy carriers becasue the legacy carriers can't just drop all thier routes and focus only on the most profitable ones. Half the country wouldn't have any airservice. Not to mention no international flights. If the legacy carriers dropped all thier unprofitable routes, I am sure they could make money too.

I dare to make to comparison of Southwest to a company like Walmart. They move into a neighborhood that can draw a lot of customers. They wouldn't set up shop in any small towns. They draw in a lot of customers with thier low prices and that is supported by the high volume of business. With everyone shopping at Walmart, lots of established local businesses are forced to shut down because they can't compete. Its not that the other businesses offer grossly inferior products.

If SW had to serve all the routes that the legacy carriers did, they would be losing money too.

luv2fly

Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:34 am

Jafa

The legacy carriers are not required to fly any route, they can drop and add at anytime. And as a business why would you not go where the business was/is/will be? That is not just WN, that is any good business.
You can cut the irony with a knife

NWAFA

Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:38 am

Luv2fly,

NWA must fly certin Asia routes in order to fly others. Even if they are loosing money on a flight, they must fly that in order to keep doing others (those that make huge money).

We also carry a huge amount of cargo accross both "Ponds". Cargo is broken down differently than "Pax" revenue. On some of those routes, in order to carry the Cargo to make money, they have to office "PAX" service...does that make sense?

steveswa737

Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:07 am

Back to the original topic of SWA in-flight "Fun." We are taught in training to be yourself. If you are funny, be funny...if your not, dont. We are also taught to use common sense and judge your audience. A morning flight of mostly business people from BWI-BUF is not the best crowd to try out your funny PA's. However any flight from BWI to LAS, MCO or FLL is almost a guaranteed happy crowd looking for some "Fun."

NWFA,
I still think its funny to here people refer to SW customers as "trailer trash." I have friends who fly for AA, UA and NW and they all get some of the same so called "trailer trash" customers that you see on "Airline." Have you seen some of your gate areas in DTW and MEM lately? We all get our fair share of savory characters. Enough of the stereotypes.

APAOps5

Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:34 am

Like any service industry you get what you pay for, and maybe a little more w/ WN.
I will be honest the worst flight in my life was on WN, every sterotypical horrow you could imagine, happened.

It was flight from SLC-PHX about a year ago. It was an early 0600 flight that was fully booked. I had to make a connection on another carrier in PHX and avoided checking my carry-on baggage. Of course I got to the gate well before an hour before departure time, but apparently everyone on this flight was an early worm because I still ended up in the last boarding section. I boarded to find the only available seat to be one of the reversed bulk head seats, which wouldn't have been so bad but the guy directly facing me was about 6'6", so my leg room was compromised, in addition the guy next to me was spilling over into my seat, and to top it off they made me gate check my only bag, which frustrated me as it meant I would have to leave the secured area in PHX, which indefinately meant I would miss my connection (other carrier). Once airborne, the lady adjacent me on the bulkhead had a lap child. She had no inhibitions about lifting her shirt up and breast feeding right there in front of all of us, this of course while her other child was running up and down the plane ensuring any one attempting to sleep couldn't. The flight attendants were unusually grumpy for a 0600 am departure and remained as such through out the flight. Once we landed I beg the gate agent to retrieve my gate checked bag, but she advised me I would have to retrieve in baggage claim. To top it all off this was the day that PHX began their TSA screening, and with typical governmental effciency I got back through to the secured area in 4 hours. Missing my original connection and three others.

Obviously this was my worst flight experience ever! but would it keep me from flying WN again. Hell no! For one reason. I bought that seat at midnight the night before (6 hours before departure) I paid less than $100 and it was refundable had i changed my mine.

As a frequent non-revver I have on occasion got stuck prior to getting to my destination due to over booked flights, but have always relied on WN for the cheapest walk up fare to get me somewhere else. Unfortunately living in DEN I don't get direct WN service, but indirectly they have helped enough times, and like I said in the beginning you get what you pay for. Sometimes its just getting from A to B.

[Edited 2004-02-17 23:38:01]
This experience was not fun w/ WN, but it won't keep me from flying them again.

[Edited 2004-02-18 00:04:02]

goingboeing

Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:39 am

Heck...I saw my own "airline" episode today....except it was on Delta (well, ASA)...and surprise surprise...it wasn't the airline or it's people. Yep...had the dreaded "trailer trash" in the seat behind me. The mother of the kid wanted to fly with her, so the FA moved her up to that seat. Seems a young woman had a broken foot and needed a bit more legroom, so the agent reassigned her to row 1. A family of 5 was travelling...Jed, Ellie Mae, Granny, and Flat and Scruggs as I recall. Granny pitched a fit because Jed was asked if he minded moving to a row further back (aisle seat). Now....granny, in seat 2A had no way in hell of talking to Jed, even if he was in row 1C. But man oh man did she pitch a fit....comments like "I don't know why they bother to assign seats if people can sit anywhere they want", and the ever popular "I'm never flying Delta again". In between, she was bitching to her oldest Daughter (Ellie May) in a voice pointedly loud enough to be heard by the woman who was in seat 1C. One of the words that was clearly spoken was "They f***ed with us on ever flight we've been on". Now...I was travelling with my daughter, and I didn't really appreciate this womans attempt to expand her vocabulary, and I turned and gave her a look...

Bottom line, those folks weren't on a Southwest flight....they were on a Delta connection flight. And trust me...I felt sorry for the flight attendant and any other people this woman came in contact with. To the FA's credit...she still treated the family with very good service.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:47 am

FedExHeavy wrote:

anyways my flights have been mixed the only two things that standout in my mind is when landing in Vegas the captain coming over the intercom saying 'whoa!, whoa!" when were slowing down.

NWAFA replied:

You may find the "whoa" cute and funny, but that confrims that the FA is not being SAFE or care about the saftey of the PAX! That FA should be (and is REQUIRED from the FAA) to be in a "brace position reviewing emergency procedures" UNTIL the a/c has turned off the active runway! Shame on them!

Read much, chief? Or is it you're seeing what you want to see?

Am I to understand that the airline with the best safety record per flight mile, who has never lost a passenger isn't safe?

Please explain, I'm curious to understand.

Brian - SPOT THIS!

Delta767300ER

NWFA's Comments

Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:50 am

I think NWFA's trailer trash comments are funny as heck. Its pretty interesting, my stepmother who is an attorney and my dad who is a a business owner try to fly WN all the time. Neither of them are trailer trash, they are upper class individuals who live in a country club and one drives a Mercedes and the other a Lexus. Also, I think the trailer trash comment was offensive and discriminatory. My thing is if you dont like WN then dont fly them.

Back to the REAL topic that DeltaRules posted, I fly WN from time to time and I have really enjoyed my flights. I have never had a delay of more than 30 minutes, I have always enjoyed the F/A's joking around and they have been really nice to me, especially after the flight when I tell them i am a diehard aviation fan.

-Delta767300ER

P.S. I dont fall into NWFA's trailer trash category.

canoecarrier

Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:51 am

Am I to understand that the airline with the best safety record per flight mile, who has never lost a passenger isn't safe?

Couldn't have said it better! 30 years without a fatal accident says alot.

isitsafenow

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:18 am

NWAFA...about your comments on SW F A's saying "whoa " over the P A?
I heard that bit twice in my travels over the past 20 years...both on....
N O R T H W E S T......so there! The jokes are not limited to SW people..
its up to the F A'S and their sense of humor, no matter who the carrier....and NW has some witty people and some stuff shirts....right, NWAFA?
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos