Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ORDnDFW777
Topic Author

AAs Most Profitable Routes To Europe

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:26 pm

A stew told me AAs most profitable route to Europe was ORD - MAN. Is this true? BMI isn't doing to bad on the route.

RE: AAs Most Profitable Routes To Europe

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:29 pm

There's no First Class cabin on the ORD-MAN route, which makes me question if it's AA most profitable. My bet would be one of the LHR runs...

HNLFlyBoy

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:33 pm

I would venture to say it's JFK-LHR. With all of those premium seats (F and J Class) and the frequency of the flights, I don' t think they would have as many of either if the route was not profitable. This is also one of the world's most, if not THE most, serviced route. Thoughts?

ORDnDFW777
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:33 pm

That's what a senior stew told me. I agree, the two classs configuration provides less revenue and it is a 763 as opposed to 777s into Heathrow, but I'm told it has a higher yield. I've flow ORD - LHR on AA and the flights were packed (I didn't fly in Jan, so I might be biased).

MAH4546

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:34 pm

My guess would be one of the LHR runs too, though not JFK or ORD. Probably MIA or LAX, since both have healthier year-round loads and with an excellent economy/premium passenger mix that creates full planes in front to back.
a.

rjpieces

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:37 pm

RDU-LGW is a known cash cow. My guess would be JFK or LAX-LHR for most profitable.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:40 pm

...but I'm told it has a higher yield

premium cabin seating:
B777: 16F, 35J = 51
B763: 0F, 30J = 30

Do the math  Smile. I think there should be little doubt AA's most profitable t-atlantic route is one of the ones operated by the B777 (BOS/JFK/ORD/MIA/LAX to LHR, DFW/RDU to LGW, DFW to FRA).

- - -

RDU-LGW is a known cash cow.

I'd hesitate to use to the term 'cash cow.' It's known that AA sells enough premium cabin seats to make the route profitable... but Economy loads generally suck, except during peak.

[Edited 2004-02-18 04:43:46]

B4REAL

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:47 pm

My guess would be one of the LHR routes, because of AA's anti-competitive situation, it can acess routes that other US-based airlines could use.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

ssides

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:42 pm

I don't think it's JFK-LHR. Yes, LHR is slot-restricted, but New York has more competition for London flights than just about any other US city -- you've got UA, BA, Virgin, Air India, etc. flying the route, plus DL, CO and maybe one or two more going into LGW. When I was living in London, I could fly my fiancee from DCA thru JFK on AA for less than $300 r/t -- including taxes.

RDU-LGW is a cash cow because of the guaranteed Glaxo loads, but I'm not sure that's enough to make it the most profitable.

Don't overlook DFW, either. I've heard that DFW-FRA is very, very profitable, as is DFW-LGW. AA has fierce loyalty from its DFW customer base, and the international flights from DFW are almost always packed with business travelers. Being from Texas, my prejudice tells me that one of the DFW flights is #1 in terms of profitability.

[Edited 2004-02-18 05:43:40]
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

prosa

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:46 pm

I don't think it's JFK-LHR. Yes, LHR is slot-restricted, but New York has more competition for London flights than just about any other US city -- you've got UA, BA, Virgin, Air India, etc. flying the route, plus DL, CO and maybe one or two more going into LGW. When I was living in London, I could fly my fiancee from DCA thru JFK on AA for less than $300 r/t -- including taxes.

Quite true (I paid $308 including taxes and fees on VS for a JFK/LHR r/t last month), except for one point - DL serves neither LGW nor LHR from JFK or EWR.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

rjpieces

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:52 pm

I think I remember reading that DFW-KIX was their most profitable at one point due to the high amount of cargo going between the two cities, but as soon as they lost their contract for the cargo the route died.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

ssides

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:52 pm

DL doesn't fly JFK-LGW? Wow, my mistake.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:01 pm

I think I remember reading that DFW-KIX was their most profitable at one point due to the high amount of cargo

I'd be surprised if cargo itself could've made DFW-KIX AA's most profitable route, especially since the route mostly operate during the crux of AA's record profit days...

DL doesn't fly JFK-LGW? Wow, my mistake.

Only two USA-flag carriers can fly JFK-LON... obviously those two are AA and UA...

AluminumShower

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:28 pm

How would a F/A know what the most profitable route to Europe is? It's not like those types of numbers get circulated around within the company that much... especially to F/As.

Thrust

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:34 pm

All the LHR routes are very profitable. They were what made AA into the global airline it is today. ORD-LHR, LAX-LHR, and JFK-LHR are all probably very profitable routes. I would imagine DFW-LGW is also popular. Finally, ORD-MAN is probably very profitable too. The routes to FRA are probably extremely profitable, as AA has a very strong presence there. MIA-LHR and BOS-LHR are also probably up there. The routes to CDG are also probably up there too. Correct me if wrong, please, I would like to know the truth.

--THanks
Fly one thing; Fly it well

MAH4546

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:39 pm

The routes to FRA are probably extremely profitable, as AA has a very strong presence there.

No they don't.

The routes to CDG are also probably up there too.

I am sure they are profitable, but it is a heavy leisure route.

I would like to know the truth.

Me too, and so would everybody else, though, sadly, only the big shots at American Airlines do, and will. We can only speculate.

a.

bartond

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:12 pm

It might not be the most profitable due to the lack of premium seats, but DFW-ZRH is supposedly one of AA's gems. FYI from a biased DFW traveler. I wish they'd bring this flight back to a 772 but I think it's 763s from here on out.

FA4UA

Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:56 pm

How would a F/A know what the most profitable route to Europe is? It's not like those types of numbers get circulated around within the company that much... especially to F/As.  Insane

AluminumShower, don't underestimate flight attendant knowledge! At UA we're often breifed on the routes we fly in regards to the marketplace and profitablity. I could have told you about four months prior to UA's announcement of cutting BOS-LHR that it was one of the biggest loosers and that SFO-LHR is always in the top three money makers!

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

AMM744

Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:07 pm

AA's most profitable runs into Europe are JFK-LHR, LAX-LHR and the Paris runs.

It doesn't take a genius to work out who or what type of passenger travels between say LAX-LHR, really c'mon guys.

ssides

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:57 pm

I think I remember reading that DFW-KIX was their most profitable at one point due to the high amount of cargo going between the two cities, but as soon as they lost their contract for the cargo the route died.

I doubt cargo alone could make DFW-KIX the most profitable route. One of the primary reasons that AA discontinued its KIX service was that the landing fees were absolutely massive. KIX needed to charge exorbitant landing fees in order to pay for the marvel of engineering, and once the downturn hit, many airlines decided it simply wasn't worth it.

AA787

Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:44 am

AA doesn't have 7 daily flights JFK-LHR for nothing!

AA787

B777FA

Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:20 am

How would a F/A know what the most profitable route to Europe is? It's not like those types of numbers get circulated around within the company that much... especially to F/As.

Actually the company does release info on our most profitable routes! So F/As would know . Not too long ago the company released info about this and JFK-LHR was way up there at the top along with quite a few Caribbean routes.

Crosswind

Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:40 am

ORD-MAN was quoted as being American Airlines' most profitable route a little over 10 years ago.

They initially started ORD-MAN with a daily B767 service in 1986.

In 1992, Manchester became the first scheduled European MD-11 destination. At the same time American added a second daily service with a B767-200 for the summer only.

At this time the only scheduled competition on Manchester-US routes was BA to JFK, plus Delta to Atlanta (A310 at the time) and American to JFK (B762 at the time) Both of these latter routes only commenced in 1991. Because of how underserved the MAN-US market was in the early 1990s, it was relativley easy for AA to fill up their aircraft at a good yield, even in the premium cabins. Especially since the MAN-ORD service offered the best onward connections to the entire North American continent at the time...

For the summer 1993 and 1994 seasons, the double daily MAN flights continued, albeit with a mix of B767-300 and -200 aircraft.

Since then AA have bowed out of the New York market under stiff competition from Continental, and tried their hand at the Dallas market without much success...

Recent competition has diluted the market AA once had virtually to themselves. American aren't even the largest carrier in the Manchester-Chicago market anymore, being immediately pushed into the number 2 spot by the bmi/United codeshare in 2001.

MAN-ORD being AA's most profitable Trans-Atlantic route was a short-lived anomaly - underserved markets will always achieve good yields, as you'll generally be able to fill your aircraft without significantly discounting fares.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stuart Lawson

Regards
CROSSWIND

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos