Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

New UAL Paint - Harsh Comments

Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:56 pm

Early release for Aviation Daily....

United To Unveil New Livery, Branding; Analyst Calls Effort 'Uninspiring'
Aviation Daily
02/18/2004

United today in San Francisco is expected to unveil its first new aircraft livery in a decade as part of a larger branding campaign that aims to create a new image for the company as it emerges from bankruptcy protection, but one analyst believes the effort falls short.

According to a preview photo obtained by The DAILY, United has dropped the dark-blue and grey livery designed by CKS Partners in 1993 in favor of a much lighter scheme developed by Pentagram, erasing the influence of former CEO Stephen Wolf. CEO Glenn Tilton and his team have chosen a design that will make the top half of the fuselage white and the bottom half blue, divided by the three horizontal blue lines.

The tail features an oversized white United "tulip" logo on a blue background, almost identical to the tail design on Ted aircraft. The engine nacelles and aircraft underbelly are also blue, and the word United appears in black near the front of the fuselage. At the San Francisco event today, United plans to display one mainline aircraft along with a Canadair Regional Jet in the new United Express livery, sources said.

It will take several years to repaint hundreds of United planes currently flying throughout the world. A United spokesman would not comment on the plans and only confirmed there would be an event in San Francisco.

Airline executives also will discuss the carrier's new branding campaign. United this week started running a new magazine advertisement with the tagline "It's Time To Fly." Forrester Research analyst Henry Harteveldt, who previously worked at CKS Partners and on the branding campaigns of several airlines, called the new livery and tagline "uninspiring and unimaginative."

He said the "It's time to fly" slogan "means nothing and falls flat." The tagline is risky if the airline's on-time performance falters whether it's the carrier's fault or not. He added that much of the public does not want to fly because of frustration with the mode of travel. "They are setting themselves up for ridicule and parody," he said.

Harteveldt believes the smarter move would have been to bring back the "Fly the Friendly Skies" campaign. A recent Forrester study showed that 41% of United customers said they would pay more for quality product or service, and most people are drawn to airlines where they receive friendly service.

While Harteveldt believes the new livery was long overdue at United, he described the new design as "not inspiring, not dynamic and not forward-thinking." The new livery "may get rid of the gray, but it does nothing to really distinguish the airline," he added. United won't lose any customers over the new identity, "but it won't help change people's perceptions."

He faulted United for cutting off part of the signature tulip logo on the tail. One of the most important aspects of a new livery is a consistent logo or design on the tail, which is the first thing many people see on an aircraft. "The logo is sacred," he said. "Why would you want to cut off the logo on the tail?" While the new United tail is better than Delta's "wavy gravy" design, he said it falls flat, compared with the "classic" designs of Air France or American. -SL

Q330

RE: New UAL Paint - Harsh Comments

Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:06 pm

Yeah, cutting pieces off letters and other things seems to be a design trend nowadays. I think they should have left more of it showing. But I do agree that it is better than Delta's tail which has no logo at all.

-Q
Long live the A330!

FlyingColours

Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:17 pm

I can see where "It's Time To Fly" can be used erroniously, they should have brought back the friendly skies instead.

As far as the livery goes, I don't like it. The tail looks good although they should have not cut the 'U' but instead perhaps overlayed a smaller one over the trimmed tulip. The white is what spoils it the most, if they filled that white in with a lighter shade of blue (a very light so that it is not white but not blue if you catch my drift), the blue bars are not too bad but the United lettering is terrible.

In my opinion (which rarley counts) they should have done something with the 1980's livery to make that better then use that.

Still I wish them the best, never know they might serve MAN next  Smile

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

FA4UA

Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:37 pm

I agree the color scheme isn't very inspiring, however it is clean and crisp, perhaps signifying a clean slate or new beginning.

Just wait till 747Flagship reads this article! It will be interesting to hear his comments! This colorscheme has been his baby* over the past few months!

FA4UA

*Flagship did not create this colorscheme, he merely did artists renderings off of rumors and hints of what it was supposed to be.
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

DeltaMD11

Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:07 pm

I love Delta's "wavy gravy" scheme if you want to call it that. I don't think the tail would look right with a big fat logo slapped on it. Wavy gravy is classy and attractive. I don't agree with him one bit (and no, this is not me being partial because I like Northwest Airlines but abhor their new colors). To each his own, I guess.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jerry Search

View Large View Medium

Photo © Morris Biondi

Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

UA744Flagship

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:35 pm

Here I am.  Smile

The slogan is *very* disappointing. Yuck.

This is almost as bad as R I S I N G (F A I L I N G). Sigh....

When it comes to the livery, however, cost needs to be taken into account:
  • Had they gone with something completely different, all the $$$ and effort poured into buiilding the current identity on print materials, uniforms, even the snack boxes (!), woud have been wasted
  • The scheme, from what I've heard, has actually been waiting for deployment for a couple years (Trayfam can confirm or deny this)

In this sense, the scheme is cost-effective, if uninspiring.

But again, the slogan is TERRIBLE.

A new, hip slogan likes nwa's "Now You're Flying Smart" would have been great... but no...
  • no wire hangers!

UA744Flagship

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Almost forgot to add,

I don't know why the branding analyst didn't "understand" why the tail logo was cutoff.

He should be pretty familiar with the cutoff U they have been using since 1997.

A cutoff logo is something that is done all the time these days -- from product packaging, to airlines (reminder: the new nwa scheme has a cutoff tail logo).

Perhaps its because UAL ditched his old firm, CKS Partners, after merely 4 years, before even all the planes were converted to their "Battleship Grey" design... that he seems critical of the actual design itself.
    no wire hangers!

jblake1

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:43 pm

I agree with the writer of that article that the tag line is up for ridicule and mockery. Especially when you consider that if by chance United were to have a fatal accident or terrorist attack the tag line would easily be changed from "It's time to fly" to "It's time to ***" You fill in the blank.

TR

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:45 pm

I actually agree with Henry Harteveldt about bringing back "Fly the Friendly Skies" slogan - and at the same time UA should move to improve their inflight service. The colours are looking good to me. Much better than the current, which I´ve never liked. But at the end of the day service counts - colours doesn´t.

Greg

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:04 pm

It's amateurish...and far too simple.
    They wanted something less expensive to maintain..and they got it...absolute cheapness in cost and looks. It looks like a bad LCC scheme.
    Why they kept that stupid tulip logo is beyond me considering the luke warm reception it got in 73. If you're going to rebrand----rebrand...don't recycle.

It's an embarrasement to United.

SFOJFK

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:23 pm

It's probably been said before, but United could make an easy bankruptcy sale to jetblue. The livery change would be pretty cheap for B6 to convert.

Greg

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:33 pm

JFKSFO...that's idiotic.
    Airlines do not purchase other airline's assets because of their colour.

KKMolokai

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:37 pm

Great Article, and very true! Nice to see the "battleship" livery go, sad to see such a bland, unimaginative livery emerge. I do think however, that the tail is the best part of the new livery. I also agree that UA should bring back their "friendly skies" slogan ... its a classic slogan that everyone knows and associates with UA, as "Something Special In The Air," with AA.

Delta's new-new (wavy gravy) livery is hideous! Atrocious actually. Wavy Gravy leaves no impression, and the engine nacelles, yuck! They could have at least carried the wavy gravy design through to the engines instead of the blue and red rings ... gross!
    We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

voodoo

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:42 pm

Greg wrote:
    Airlines do not purchase other airline's assets because of their colour.
    ----

No but its useful.
    Indy Air could also use UALs assets. Big grin
    Funny how all 3 blue airlines will have V2500 powered Airbuses.

[Edited 2004-02-18 15:44:11]
    ` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

caetravlr

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:43 pm

As far as the slogan being set up for derision and ridicule, "Fly the Friendly Skies" is just as easy to parody as "It's time to fly". While the new slogan doesn't really inspire me a whole lot, his argument about why is ludicrous. When I was a kid, I used to parody "Fly the friendly skies" all the time when I was nothing but a huge Delta fan. Anyway, as far as the paint scheme, I liked the first pic I saw, and I can't wait to see more. I think it is like any other livery, it will have to grow on people.

I actually LIKE Delta's livery, with the exception of the engine nacelles. They are hideous, but I love the tales, the font of the word Delta, and the widget.

Anyway, everyone has their own opinion, but I like the look that UAL is going with.
    A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

psa188

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:49 pm

From the original article:

"Harteveldt believes the smarter move would have been to bring back the "Fly the Friendly Skies" campaign. A recent Forrester study showed that 41% of United customers said they would pay more for quality product or service, and most people are drawn to airlines where they receive friendly service."

Not only should they bring back the "Fly the Friendly Skies" campaign, they should steal a page from AA's playbook and paint a 777 in the 1960 DC-8 paint scheme.

Other thoughts: The cutoff logo on the tail looks stupid. This is an ufortunate design trend these days. There are two manh unfortunate design trends these days.

The new UA paint scheme does indeed look better than DL's "wavy gravy" scheme.

StevenUhl777

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:52 pm

Yes, "Fly the Friendly Skies" would have been the better choice...as United is trying to reinvent/rebrand itself and its service. The flying public is used to that phrase from a while back, and is synonymous with UA. Also, the "tulip" logo at one point was the 3rd most recognized corporate symbol in the world, so messing with that isn't a wise idea.

I personally miss the 74-94 livery, and have grown to like the current, but in time I'll get used to this new one I suppose.

I'm sure that UA will "tweak" this livery here and there, depending on how well it's received by the marketplace.
    And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

BWIA 772

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:59 pm

Remeber in one of the numerous topic on UA livery one person posted a nice blue livery with most of the plane being blue. That would have been the livery they chose this euro white thing looks like crap!!!

I like the battle ship livery and i will miss it.
    Eagles Soar!

na

Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:53 am

He´s right.

UAs new livery is

-not inspiring
    -not modern (It even wouldn´t have been 15 years ago!)
    -not distinctive (the whole graphic treatment of the livery is so Deja-vu)
    -uses the most common colour combination
    -looks like a mix of something we all have seen a hundred times (its a mixup of BA, Varig, Jetblue, Sabena, Austral, many others and the cut-logo-idea of NWA)

Its not worth all the effort. Pentagram is quite well-known as a design firm. I don´t think this is the best idea they had. If you have many managers to decide its mostly the mediocre solution that wins, especially if the management has no taste of its own or even worse - believes in focusgroup-tests. In Germany we have the saying "In Gefahr und höchster Not bringt der Mittelweg den Tod", what translates to something like: "In danger and crisis through the middle way death rises."

cytz_pilot

Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:12 am

Be aware though that the design firm is not 100% responsible for creating the livery in its entirety. With tasks such as this, generally there will be a small team from the company (United in this case) working with the design company. It is very much a team effort to design ANYTHING on such a large-scale basis so there is always going to be compromise, compromise, compromise. It says right in the article,

CEO Glenn Tilton and his team have chosen a design that will make the top half of the fuselage white and the bottom half blue, divided by the three horizontal blue lines.

I would bet good money that the designers responsible for the scheme are not the happiest at the chosen design...it would be nice to have a look at their sketchpads at some of the other ones.

I agree that it's a very uninspiring design (I like the tail but the rest falls flat) but you know I'll be biting at the bit until I have taken my own photo of the new scheme!!!!!!  Big grin

DIA

Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:21 am

Oh well, here I go. . .

I, for one, really like the new c/s. Love it. I've never liked the battleship c/s. Since the day I first saw the battleship c/s. . .I couldn't wait for the day they would change it. Now, not being that long a wait, that day has come.

The harsh words for the super-imposed tulip tail is by someone who is not hip to new ideas/trends. Like someone else mentioned above. . .many brands' marketing/advertising campaigns have introduced this idea (successfully) over the last several years. It is what's new and up-to-date with the current trends. It can be compared to another example of recent history. . .many airlines went from having stripes on their cheatlines and unpainted engines, to having no stripes and painted engines. . .it was a trend that some airlines are still converting to today.

To anybody familiar with advertising and/or marketing, the new look is a breath of fresh air. . .whether you like UAL or not. The tulip "cutoff" is a grand idea. . .in my industry at least.

In terms of the new slogan, you've got to wait and see how they spin it off to the public. There are different ways of utilizing their new slogan, "It's time to fly," that will appeal to many potential pax. . .you can guarantee those ideas have already been thought of and approved by UAL brass.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this new marketing strategy does. . .especially with the new colors.

DIA's Concourse B won't look like the Norfolk shipyards anymore!
    Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

psa188

Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:52 am

DIA writes:

"The harsh words for the super-imposed tulip tail is by someone who is not hip to new ideas/trends. Like someone else mentioned above. . .many brands' marketing/advertising campaigns have introduced this idea (successfully) over the last several years. It is what's new and up-to-date with the current trends."

Woo-Hoo. Just because something's hip and trendy doesn't make it a good idea. And, five years from how all of the design yuppies will look at the UA scheme and remark that it's SO 2004. You can keep your trendy branding shit, I have more respect for companies like AA and Union Pacific that find a classic look and stick to it, rather than follow a bunch of yuppie trend-sucking dilettantes.

Greg

Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:58 am

No offense, but while it's all amateurs on here....analysts and critics have been very harsh as well on the new design---and I'm sure there will be more once it's revealed publicly.

So, let's not start with the 'in my industry it's a great idea'---because you are in a minority (albeit a vocal one..) according to design critics.

Anyway...who uses the words 'hip' and 'trendy' anymore????

alphascan

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:03 am

Its time to bring back John Ruhaack, when UA's advertising and marketing was second to none.
    "To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

MaverickM11

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:06 am

I'm suspicious that the analyst who made the harsh comments used to work for the company (CKS) that designed the brand image that Pentagram's is replacing. A little biased n'est-ce pas? Let's wait until an unbiased analyst makes a comment.
    I don't take responsibility at all

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:15 am

United just can't seem to get its "look" right. The new scheme could be much improved with a few tweaks, like some red on the fuselage, and more blue on the tail. Meanwhile, American's classic paint scheme looks as up to date today on a 777 as it did on a 707 in 1971.

Jim
    Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

mariner

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:15 am

Some of you know that I'm a strong Frontier supporter - but I'm also a supporter of a strong United.

That said, I like the new tail - a lot.

Apart from the tail, I think it's okay, but a bit bland.

The part that I don't like is the United lettering, it seems small and cramped.

Fwiw, I think it should be more like Ted's lettering - that really stands out.

There was a great photo in the RMN (not in the database) of a Ted plane taking off from LAS on the first day, and the thing that hit you in the eye was not the tail or the color scheme - it was "Ted".

That's great advertising.

But hey, I don't run UAL.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cheers

mariner
    aeternum nauta

Ryefly

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:18 am

I disagree with most here and the article. New corportate identies almost always take some time to warm up to. Most people that don't like it for whatever reason will end up changing their minds once the majority of the fleet is transfered to the new scheme. Just look at any other airline that has made a drastic change to their identity. In most cases, the scheme was looked at in a negative light here. I can't think of any airline that went out of business because they changed the paint scheme and some people didn't like it.

United may have picked a simple design, not that there is anything wrong with that. I think it's a pretty solid design myself. It think it's one over time, that will be considered classic.

Give the scheme time, see it in person, or on several different planes next to eachother before bashing it.

jaysit

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:20 am

The new livery is garbage. Still not too late to upchuck it, fire the designers, and ask for their money back.
    Atheism is Myth Understood.

na

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:32 am

"No offense, but while it's all amateurs on here..."

Not true. I´m a creative director myself and created a look for a wellknown international (non-aviation) company just last year which is of the size of UA, maybe even bigger.
    I know how unhappy you can be as a responsible designer if a company giving you a job of such scale puts you in a kind of prison with all the restrictions (many of which are crap, unneeded or just for political reasons). Or, what is common in my business, they pick a basically sound idea and add this ugly detail, then this, then that and in the end a design that might look great in a certain colour has to be changed to cheap unsensible colours. Sigh...

aeroguy

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:34 am

Does anyone remember back to when the current gray and blue livery was unveiled? Those were the good old days I guess. That really was nice to see United come up with something unique like that.

As an aside, congrats to USAirways! Thanks to United's and Northwest's recent livery changes (pronounced debacles), USAirways is firmly cemented in their position as having the best livery of any major U.S. carrier.

My apologies to all you diehard Eurowhite fans, I know my opinions may be disappointing to you, but you can find solace in the knowledge that you've racked up a partial victory by corrupting United into turning (back) towards your side.

jmy007

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:47 am

Aeroguy wrote.

"Does anyone remember back to when the current gray and blue livery was unveiled? Those were the good old days I guess. That really was nice to see United come up with something unique like that."

Unique? It seemed to me that UAL was third in line with a paint job like that.
    BA in 85? Canadian in 88. Those two airlines had very similar styles, and since re painted them, years ago. BA with their world livery in 1997, and the Canadian goose in 97?

Ual in paint job is ok. The tail is great, but the 3 lighter blue lines I could of done with out. But what done is done, and it does look sharp.
    Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

AA767400

Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:57 am

Where is this "NEW" livery? Everyone says it is horrible, but where is it?
    "The low fares airline."

caetravlr

Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:22 am

Anyone have pics from the unveling in San Fran?
    A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

PA110

Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:29 am

It's 10:30am in the Bay Area and the sun has finally broken through the clouds. What time was the unveiling scheduled?
    Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

isitsafenow

Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:39 am

I thought the UNITED...RISING motto was a scream.
    I figured it meant...yeah, we know wer're lousy, but we're workin on it!

Please explain why the new united logo, colors and motto is not on their website yet. NW's site was one of the very first places they showed off their new color scheme and modified logo.
    If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

bernsa

Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:58 am

I've been reading threads on many forums and have resisted posting until now.

I think United missed a real opportunity here. I find the new paint job harsh on the eye and unpleasing. The sad part is, that the livery isn't a total loss, there are minor tweaks they could do to improve it. First, they should stick to their solid and definitive corporate colors, blue, red, and orange. The simple change of the thin cheatlines into their 1980's colors would do wonders for what's being unveiled and ties into their recognizable corporate image as much as the tulip. The colors they chose do nothing for me, and somewhat clash with the white top half.

The saddest thing I find, however, is I've seen something like 10 amateur designs for a replacement United livery. Each and every one of them was far bolder, more inspiring, and more attractive to the eye with traditional corporate colors that blend well and make an impact.

This new livery also seems to also go against the airline's name: United. The colors here are separated (blues from whites) by boundaries in two cases: top half and bottom half, and tail and bottom. It's disharmonious and does not suggest the word united, but instead appears to clash and suggests confusion.

Paddy

Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:59 am

While Harteveldt believes the new livery was long overdue at United, he described the new design as "not inspiring, not dynamic and not forward-thinking." The new livery "may get rid of the gray, but it does nothing to really distinguish the airline," he added.

My sentiments exactly. I didn't like the amount of gray that was on the old colorscheme but this new colorscheme is really awful. It combines done-to-death colorscheme elements(horizontal two tone body etc.) with the worst elements of new design trends ('zoom' effect on tail logo etc). The cheatline doesn't help anything either, it almost looks outdated. All in all, one of the worst liveries I've seen in a long time. I like NW's new scheme much better and even DL's wavy gravy is better than this abomination that UA is unveiling!

rb211

Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:05 am

The tail is a keeper. That's all I can say.............................
     Insane
    Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

PA110

Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:05 am

...is better than this abomination that UA is unveiling!

Abomination? Really! Give the hyperbole a rest!
    Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

ua777222

Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:10 am

I think that getting rid of the red was one of the largest mistakes ever in UAL's decision to get a new livery. I know that it is a little better (still love the old one) but this can lead to many new issues. If they are planning on repainting the whole fleet (744's too) this means that UA will either be taking a major chance by paying for all the 744's to be repainted and then just have them fazed out or they will commit to them and by repainting the 744 they will have to stick with them for at least another 5yrs. 8yrs down the road I can see them being a 7e7 runner but that is still way down the road. And because of the no red does this mean that there're will be a new interior. I have information from UA that a new interior is in the making and that they will show it off in on of their 737-500's when they are brought in for their Economy + outfitting. I know what it looks like and I have to say that its is a lot better. All I'm going to say is, no more of the old dark seats!!!!!! You'll have to wait, and all 737's w/ e+ are supposed to be finished b4 summer.

NO HINTS HERE!!!!!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vector Grafix

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

UA777222
    "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

N777UA

Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:52 am

The new interior that the 737s are getting is arleady being deployed fleet-wide.

VectorVictor

Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:00 am

fire the designers, and ask for their money back.

Like Na pointed out, and as a graphic designer myself (15+ yrs), I wouldn't be surprised if there are one or two senior designers at Pentagram who worked on this project who are not the least bit happy with the outcome.

This solution screams of compromise.

Airportguy1971

Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:35 am

I think it looks familiar...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Don Boyd

DIA

Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:42 am

Psa188 wrote, "Woo-Hoo. Just because something's hip and trendy doesn't make it a good idea. And, five years from how all of the design yuppies will look at the UA scheme and remark that it's SO 2004. You can keep your trendy branding shit, I have more respect for companies like AA and Union Pacific that find a classic look and stick to it, rather than follow a bunch of yuppie trend-sucking dilettantes."

Just a few points I'd like to make.

1. When you said: "Just because something's hip and trendy doesn't make it a good idea."

I agree. . .and I don't think I made a blanketing statement that said otherwise.

2. You said, "You can keep your trendy branding shit, I have more respect for companies like AA and Union Pacific that find a classic look and stick to it, rather than follow a bunch of yuppie trend-sucking dilettantes."

First of all, your language is only an embarrasement to yourself. Secondly, don't be so quick to judge those who you haven't the slightest clue about.

3. You said, ". . .yuppie trend-sucking dilettantes. . ."

Trust me, my whole business office is laughing at this pathetic use of words and anger. Why are you so angry? Things change. . .roll with it.

4. You said, ". . .I have more respect for companies like AA and Union Pacific that find a classic look and stick to it."

Glad to hear it! We've been doing UP spreads for about ten years now! Yes, us. . .you know. . .us "trend-suckers!" Judging from your comment, I guess you actually respect us?!

You'll probably need some help removing that foot from your mouth.

And, by the way, if you bothered to read more of my profile, you'd find that I'm akin to keeping/restoring history and the past. I run my marketing and advertising campaigns that same way. . .unless a client asks for something up-to-date. Not too hard to understand. We do what our client asks of us. . .we call it business. You could learn that in Business 101, on the first day no less. Though, I dream of those days where I tell my clients, "No. I've got another direction I'd like to take with your company." Key word there is "dream." Then the reality of making sure myself, my employees and their families have a pay check at the end of the month sets in. So, don't be so quick to judge others, especially these days, you just never know.

Cheers all the same,
    DIA

Thrust

Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:46 am

I don't see anything wrong the UAL Paint. Though I do agree they should have made more room for the tulip, it looks beautiful as it is. Bright liveries in my opinion are better than dark liveries. That's the direction every airline seems to be proceeding in. NWA, Delta, and United have all moved on to brighter colors. How is the "Wavy Gravy" livery hideous? It's gorgeous. Wanna talk hideous? Go to the People Express colors Continental's airplanes wore. Gold and red just don't mix to be beautiful in my opinion, except for SWA, but even their gold red and orange colors are becoming old and disliked. I much prefer SWA's latest livery over that. The UAL Paint brings back the 1970s for me. It is going to take some getting used to, but I don't think its horrible. It's better than blue red and gray colors for United, although even that livery is good.
    Fly one thing; Fly it well

ual747den

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:13 am

I see a lot of people talking about how bad the new livery is but I don't think that they would say the same about that trashy Delta plane. UA is a ton better than Delta no matter how you look at it so please before you start mouthing off because you don't like UA remember what you have to compare it to....
    Now I do like to new livery, I wish they would have not used so much white and agree that it would have looked better a light blue, however I still think UA has one of the best liverys in the industry. I also think that UA has the second best in of all the US majors, with NW's new livery being the best and AA coming in a close third (They need to change that tail)
    Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

iluv727s

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:47 am

UA's new livery is fine as long as you have Rolaids or Maalox nearby...
    A lack of planning on your behalf does not create an emergency on my behalf.

DIA

Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:00 am

Seems like most of the UAL employees at the ceremony today liked the new ad campaign after all. . .imagine that.

Paddy

Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:22 am

VectorVictor:
    This solution screams of compromise.

Yes, it does. In addition to what I listed in my above post, there was something else that was bugging me about it that I couldn't quite figure out but thats it. Its got a very half-assed look to it. I think your observation is dead on. None of the pieces fit together at all...What a train wreck!

PA110:
    Abomination? Really! Give the hyperbole a rest!

You are right, its not an abomination its a travesty of design! Big grin