Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ushermittwoch
Topic Author

United Express In New Livery

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:23 pm

Hi!

I don't know if this has been brought up in a different topic yet but I just checked put the new United Express livery and must say that is a huge improvement over the old one!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © I. Gunawan

It also suits the RJ better than the 777. But that is only my humble opinion.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

dragon-wings

RE: United Express In New Livery

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:28 pm

The new livery looks ALOT better on these CRJ's than it does on the bigger planes in United's fleet
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

windshear

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:31 pm

Agree with you 111%!!!

I think the 777 looks like a private jet...

Ah well it seems like most Americans like the new repaint, and that is what really is important for United, and not what I think  Smile

Boaz...
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

MTChemNerd757

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:40 pm

windshear: here's one American that thinks it's hideous.  Smile

ciao!
brad
Fight Terrorism - Ride a Bike!

N754PR

Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:15 pm

I also agree it looks nice on the CRJ..... Sucks on the 777.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

ual777contrail

Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:26 pm

In 2 or 3 years when we all have time to let it grow on us we'll all look back and say, boy it is a real mellow, smooth paint scheme.
Give it time, you'll like it.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

LHR001

Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:38 pm

The new scheme on the larger aircraft such as the 777 is not positive at all... The scheme on the 777 seems to be cut of on the tail leaving the base of the U and nothing more. Perhaps since the tail of the 747 and 767 is broader the scheme will appear to compliment the aircraft better!

Agreed 100% and some.... The CRJ and the new scheme are a match!

LHR001

DeltaMD11

Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:29 pm

I agree that schemes have a different look on different equipment. Take, for instance, a Northwest DC-9. It looks wonderful in their new colors, however the new colors are hideous on the A330 and 747. I think in United's case this new scheme will better on the narrowbodies as there isn't as much white fuselage after the blue stripes (a la compare the CRJ and 777 and you'll see what I mean)...that goes to say I still think it looks good on the 777.
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Socrates17

Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:57 pm

Don't you think calling it hideous is a bit generous? It looks very 50s to me. Oh well. I'm sure UAL777CONTRAIL is completely correct. Assuming, of course, that UA survives.... (No. I'm not wishing it ill. I hope it does survive.)
You Can't Take the Sky from Me

UA744Flagship

Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:34 pm

Great job ROOTS.

Here's a preview of what it'll look like on the 744... I'll let y'all be the judge.

no wire hangers!

L.1011

Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:32 pm

You know Hass, if you like plugging those so much, couldn't you use the MAP link and give us the hits? lol.  Laugh out loud

flyingbronco05

Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:44 pm

It looks fake to me.  Confused

The reason I say that, is due to the landing gear. It looks like some grass was ERASED so the right tire could be visible.

Looks good, don't get me wrong, just looks like there might have been some extreme "Editing."

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

tjwgrr

Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:47 pm

I agree, the CRJ photo looks doctored if you look closely....
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

FoxBravo

Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:51 pm

FB05, it's funny you should mention that--that's exactly what I was saying on the other thread, https://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1409774/. I'm not saying it really is fake--it may just be the lighting, etc., but something about that photo screams out "FAKE" to me.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

airmale

Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:16 am

I must point out whats spoiling the whole effect of the livery overall is the red/blue United logo, it should be dropped.
.....up there with the best!

Greg

Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:49 am

It's so dissapointing...it's not even funny...
It looks like sh*t no matter which aircraft.

I'm a huge UA supporter....but I hate this.

What do UA employees think?

UA744Flagship

Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:38 am

Greg,

I thought you tired of the United paint scheme posts?? Looks like you're still in disbelief. At first you didn't believe it was coming. Then you said no one cares if they introduce a new scheme. Well you contradict even yourself.

Why the hypocrisy?

Here are some of your quotes on the subject of the new paint:

February 13
RE: UA 777 New Colors Photos
I think many of you are missing the larger issue, no one cares whether they introduce a new scheme

January 22
RE: Latest New United Paint Preview Pics..hehe
Now you have fs planes in the 'speculative' livery--which, in all likelihood, won't be close to the actual product.

Hmmm... won't be close will they? I'd say this is pretty close:

January 14
RE: FYI: United New Livery/New Interior Questions, Etc
This is a joke, right?
They wouldn't really do this, would they????
It is horrible.
Possibly this is just a misinformation ploy?

no wire hangers!

PA110

Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:42 am

Go Flagship, Go!  Smile

Your rendition was incredibly accurate. Thanks for introducing it so early. Now I think its time for all the nay sayers to just move on! Let them go after US Airways for their up and coming redesign.  Big grin

[Edited 2004-02-19 18:48:27]
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

Greg

Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:59 am

I could give a sh*t if they left them white...painted them pink...or left them bare.(it would probably look better).

I understand your life revolves around this considering the hundreds of posts you've submitted about this...and of course, actually setting up a website devoted to their paint scheme..(hmmmmm).

You have every right to be angry since this is the outcome.

But face it, it's U-G-L-Y!! And the critics agree!

Georg

Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:08 am

Pretty good one! Better than old indeed.
NO URLS in signature

UA744Flagship

Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:08 am

Not angry... just amused by your hypocrisy.  Smile

I would hardly call a few aviation analysts "the critics". Who cares what they, or even I think?? The real impression that matters is that of the flying public. And currently that's very difficult to measure. You can only tell if the paint scheme will have been effective a year or so from now, when customer reactions can be accurately gauged over a time period.

And it's pretty obvious that the website is not just devoted to the paint scheme...It's really that easy to pass the bar, eh??
no wire hangers!

Bobs89irocz

Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:10 am

UA777CONTRAIL- I totally agree with you, give it some time and the paint will grow on people, i love the new paint and think its going to be great once the fleet is totally changed over, UA needed a new look and they have it, its great.

futureualpilot

Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:13 am

That scheme on the CRJ makes it look like a business jet or something of the like.
Life is better when you surf.

UA744Flagship

Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:18 am

Critics of United's paint scheme so far:

• Michael Boyd
  • Holly Hegeman
  • The Forrester Research/CKS Partners guy

All of those people have conflicts of interest:
    1. Boyd is a well-known United hater
    2. Holly Hegeman of Planebusiness.com... airline executives laugh at her
    3. The CKS guy clearly has a conflict of interest since his former firm's design was pushed over just 4 years after inception

So...I would hardly call these "all the critics"....
  • no wire hangers!

Greg

Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:34 am

No, it's generally accepted that it's fairly cheap looking...at least by most my friends who've taken a peek (and yes, they're the flying public--more so than most folks). Each day, there seem to be more negative publicity about the frightful scheme. But hey, it's suppose to be cheap, right? That's the purpose...save money--or give the perception of it. At any rate, I'm sure we can agree--no one choses an airline because of the way they paint there planes. Further, it's likely that unless UA changes more than it's colours...it'll be history, anyway.

And yes, I passed the Texas Bar on the first try..so I personally didn't find it too difficult. The California Bar took two tries. I take the New York Bar this summer. Apparently it's suppose to be one of the more difficult.

Thank you for your interest.
    Brgds.

ord

Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:37 am

"But face it, it's U-G-L-Y!! And the critics agree!"

What critics are we talking about? Unless I'm missing something, all I saw were negative comments by one person, somebody who used to work at CKS Partners, the firm that designed UA's gray livery (and who, by the way, is no longer in the design industry but working for a research company).

And this guy doesn't even seem to know much anyway. He faulted UA for cutting off the logo on the tail. First of all, they've been doing this on all their marketing materials for several years now. Second, many airlines today show a cut off or partial logo on the tail; there's nothing wrong with it. Some that come to mind are Northwest, America West and Continental. Third, this guy called AA's tail "classic." Yes, their LOGO is nice (if not a little dated), but their TAIL is not classic. Classic AA is bare metal, and AA's tails are now all painted a very drab light gray.

This whole issue is no different than when UA unveiled the gray livery in 1993, Saul Bass (the designer of the orange/red/blue scheme) had negative things to say about it. It seems previous designers take things too personally when their designs get changed.

The fact is, any livery is going to be subjective. Some people will like it, others won't. It's surprising how many people seem to like the gray livery now because when it was introduced there was a small uproar over how bad it was (part of that is many people don't like change).

I personally really like the new livery and think UA did a great job. And kudos to UA744Flagship for providing what turned out to be a very accurate preview!

ual777contrail

Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:57 am

GREG,
    You get the impression that your back peddling? Or maybe full of excuses? Just curious, UALFLAGSHIP really got ya back there, he put into perspective that your hypocrisy has no boundary's.

Just like when the battleship grey was introduced, most ALSO said. OH MAN, did you see what UAL did to their planes?????? It looks like crap, man I hate UAL, just keep the comments to a minimum on this and maybe it will grow on you also.

I have been with UAL about 10 months shy of 10 years, I have seen 3 paint schemes and I really liked the one before the grey, but I got use to the battleship grey one,a nd now this one IN MY OPINION is nice, it is refreshing and UALFLAG did a great job on his work and VERY close indeed.

Now Greg, I have nothing wrong with you, I have seen very few post by you,we are ALL entitled to our opinion, this forum would suck if we couldn't comment on these topics, but you haven't been up on this yet, it's time to get on board, enjoy the ride.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

dc-10 levo

Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:00 am

Well it looks pretty neat on the smaller jets. I really don't like it on the 777 though.

DC-10

dragon-wings

Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:46 am

Maybe they should of painted the "U" on the tail in blue and orange. I think the would of improved it a bit.
    Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Greg

Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:12 am

No offense, it's the internet---I don't have a clue who any of you are--and further, don't care--so, no...not sure how anybody 'got me' or don't have a clue what you mean by 'back peddling'.

The discussion was over the sad new livery of UA...which many agree is dismal at best. Just a bit stunned at something this ugly would make it past sr. management.

Like I said...they are in survival mode...so a cheap image is clearly what they went for. I just think they had the opportunity to totally rebrand..and they missed it (but make no mistake, I don't care how the outside of a plane looks).

Thank you for your comments.

fspilot747

Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:15 am

Fake? Get real, guys (no pun intended).

The is at a lower level than the taxiway, and the camera had the grass and taxiway height equal when the shot was taken.

FSP

PA110

Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:18 am

Oh for crying out loud! Umteen threads, all about UA's livery with hundreds of posts for/against/neutral, hundreds of armchair critics and airline wannabees have weighed in on the subject. It's done. It's been introduced to the public. Can't we just move on already? Could we get this thread locked please?
    Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

F9Widebody

Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:44 am

Here two more shots from that same photographer in nearly the same location. You can see the same issue in the photos with the landing gear. I think this lends some credence to the shot.

View Large View Medium

Photo © I. Gunawan

View Large View Medium

Photo © I. Gunawan

Regards,
    F9W

[Edited 2004-02-19 21:47:00]
    YES URLS in signature!!!

SafetyDude

Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:56 am

Here's a preview of what it'll look like on the 744

Yes - that is what I am afriad of. It likes computer rendered and to me says: "We didn't want to go Euro-white, but we wanted to do something that saves us money without letting you know."

What can I say, what can any of us say? It was created to save money, not represent the airline. How were many of the much-loved schemes created? To save money? No. To represent the airline? Yes.

I am willing to accept changes, but while it may save them money, I do not like it.

Sadly, most airlines (JAL, NWA...) are going for a "cool, hip" scheme that just does not work.

Insane
    -Will
    "She Flew For What We Stand For"

ord

Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:16 am

"What can I say, what can any of us say? It was created to save money, not represent the airline."

You make it seem like these two are mutually exclusive, which is simply not true. The new livery was designed to be BOTH cost effective (because white is cheaper to maintain than dark gray) and represent the airline. And cost effective does not mean cheap. In no way does the new livery look cheap in my opinion.

Everybody's comments amaze me. People complain when an airline goes Eurowhite. People complain when an airline changes its logo. People complain when an airline doesn't change its logo. People complain no matter what. Unbelieveable.

As an aside, Mike Boyd (the consultant who hates United) was quoted in the Denver papers as saying the new livery is "splendid." So there, even a guy who always seems to have something negative to say about United likes the new livery.

Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:00 am

I think one of the points here is we are all airplane lovers of some sort or another and we as a group are gonna have differences of opinion of what we find attractive in a paint job and what we don't, but its my opinion that most of the flying public could care less what color the airplane is on the outside(as long as its clean). As for me I like all the paint schemes United has now worn over the yrs, I view this new scheme as something else (new) to watch for in my spotting Just my two cents.

Karl

roots

Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:47 am

Hi guys, I'm the photographer who took the photo. Sorry to disappoint you, but the photo is 100% real. But I just looked at it again and I can understand why it looks fake. I think I oversharpened the aircraft while leaving the grass around it untouched thus creating the look that the grass around the right main landing gear had been erased. I'll see if I can redo the photo tonight.

Here's another shot of the same airplane:

For whatever reason the pilot chose to hold at this spot (which is abnormally too far back). The photo I uploaded was taken while the aircraft had already accelerated and out of a series of photos, that's the best one.

RayChuang

Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:39 am

Which does remind me: can anyone tell me which will be the first planes to be painted in the new livery:

Airbus A320
    Airbus A319
    Boeing 737-300/500 (I believe it's being done as I type this)
    Boeing 757-200
    Boeing 767-200 (if UA wants to keep the planes)
    Boeing 767-300
    Boeing 747-400

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos