Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

COIAH99
Topic Author

Worst Cities To Non-Rev To.

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:26 am

Probably the obvious two in my opinion would have to be MCO and LAS. Having flown to these two cities the flights are always full. Just wondering then what other cities are difficult to fly into or out of as a non-rev?
Work Hard Fly Right

flyboyaz

RE: Worst Cities To Non-Rev To.

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:30 am

I've had trouble with SAN and SNA as well....filled to the gills most of the time!
Catch a ride on a smile!

FlagshipFalcon

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:32 am

MCO has definitely got to be top 5 worst cities to Non-rev to. Any city in Florida or Caribbean during the spring break season is usually pretty bad. Those are the only places I've ever had problems.

SJU767

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:36 am

SJU Definitely. Specially on the weekends with all of the cruise ships pax

flyboyaz

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:38 am

Oh yeah...I forgot HNL. I would never nonrev there...my friends have gotten stuck there for days!
Catch a ride on a smile!

theflcowboy

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:39 am

I would imagine most of the big airports and hubs, such as ATL, LAX, JFK from certain cities. I know the DL flights from TPA-ATL have been full every time ive taken them.`
A318, A320, A332, A333, B1900, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B737, B738, B772, CR1, CR2, CR7, CR9, MD80, MD81, MD82, MD8

EA CO AS

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:39 am

PHX is pretty bad to non-rev into and out of during baseball's Cactus League spring training season. TUS isn't quite as bad, but it's not fun either.

CUN is horrible for non-revs if you're in a large party and insist on flying on weekends. Otherwise, you can get on if you're traveling solo, or perhaps with one other person.

The best way to escape CUN is on early-morning flights, since many people oversleep due to excessive partying on their last night in town.  Big grin
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

raven111

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:40 am

That's good to know. I'm about to begin the non-reving process for the first time. Thanks!
"The secret to my success is that I always managed to live to fly another day." Chuck Yeager

ZASpringboks

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:43 am

Any popular tourist destination during high season, like summer:

ANC, DUB, HNL, EYW, MCO, CDG....etc

DeltaAgent1

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:46 am

HNL, SNA, SAN, and any flights between to DL hubs.

KYIPpilot

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:46 am

Please pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does non-rev mean? Non revenue, perhaps?
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

rb211

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:50 am

HONOLULU definately. I used to get calls from fellow co-workers trying to see how many people were on stand-by. Usually there were at least 20 people at a time usually trying to use S2A priority. Not a place to do over the weekend.
BOSTON/NEW YORK CITY-NEWARK All I can say about that is " Those [email protected] snowbirds and their houses in Florida!!"
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

raven111

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:50 am

Yes KYIPilot that is what non-rev means.

Can anyone tell me when is the best time of the year to non-rev to a caribbean destination?

Thanks
"The secret to my success is that I always managed to live to fly another day." Chuck Yeager

AA623BDLSJU

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:01 am

LAS for sure is one, I'd rather pay to LAS or fly to LAX and then drive but never non-rev. SJU is not bad at all as long as you are not travelling during the weekend or a holiday. LAX is not bad either, I have done that route numerous times. The Caribbean, Florida, Mexican beach destinations are always full year round.
"Something special in the air."

Coronado990

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:25 am

Can anyone tell me when is the best time of the year to non-rev to a caribbean destination?

I would try Hurricane season, usually around Sept and Oct....after kids go back to school and all that.
Bonanza Air Lines. The original BZ.

FoxBravo

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:29 am

Try getting to DFW--from anywhere--on AA on a Sunday afternoon/evening. It seems like every AA employee and his/her mother is trying to get back for work on Monday. Madness!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

SimpleMinded

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:29 am

The last time I non-reved we had NO trouble getting to HNL, but we had to extend our vacation an extra week until we could get on a flight!
Um, I like..... yea ok

DrJetMech

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:30 am

I used to commute from ORD-LGA every week to go to work. That has to be the 2 worst city pairs to non-rev. And don't even think about getting first most of the time.

N323ER

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:35 am

As if right now for some reason (I have heard because it is one of the last times for gay mariages) BOS, ROC out of BWI and ATL. Last night the last ROC and BOS flight were oversold by 40 because through out the day poeple kept getting push back to the next flight

RYAN AIRTRAN(BWIOPS)
RYAN SCAIFE

ScottB

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:14 am

BOS and ROC wouldn't be oversold due to gay marriages; the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court's decision will not take effect until May, and ROC is not in Massachusetts anyway. BOS would have been oversold because winter school vacations in Mass. were last week; everyone and their dog was probably trying to fly back this weekend. Flights going south out of BOS are pretty full from the Friday before Presidents' Day through mid-April, what with the various school and college breaks, as well as the desire to escape a long, dreary winter.

COIAH99
Topic Author

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:20 am

I forgot about ANC during the summer. Done that many times, and doing it again this summer (end of Jul). I'll have plenty of backup plans and it's nice that F9 is starting to fly there too.
Work Hard Fly Right

Sabena332

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:23 am

Flying non-rev to Dubai during the autumn half-term and when there is an IT trade fare is not a good idea. I had ID tickets for Business Class but on the FRA-DXB flight I got downgraded to Economy, on the return flight was the plane to FRA completely overbooked, so I had to fly on LX back to Europe, click here to read my trip report from last October.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

turk223

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:23 am

My worst has been ORD-BOS!
POS (Port of Spain) during Carnival season - forget it... And! SJU on a weekend from any U.S. city - a nightmare...

N276AASTT

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:34 am

My experiences with non-revving on AA. I have always had bad luck going in and out of MCO, and ATL. IAH, MIA, SJU, DFW, and ORD can be tricky at times. You really have to watch the load factors and weather when traveling to or through those cities.
Dejale Caer tu el Peso! YOMO

OttoPylit

Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:13 am

From my experiences, if you want to visit the large people-trap in the middle of Florida, you don't try to fly right into it. Fly anywhere that you can get to like TPA(unless its full), DAB, MLB, JAX, or GNV. Otherwise you'll never get there. I sometimes think that is the one intracontinental market that any airline could make a killing off of with a 747.

LAS-Would recommend flying into LAX and driving. Or vice versa. One other reason not to head to Vegas is that I have much better luck with the slots in Reno.

HNL-Oh, what to say. It may be a breeze getting into HNL, but its gonna be hell coming out. You should take into effect the other 100 nonrevs that will be trying to get back too, jockeying for position in line to upgrade their standby status. At that point, you could care less whether you get first or coach, you would even take a center seat in the last row(has happened to me on a 9hr back to ATL). After a couple of days getting to know all the employees at an airport that you don't even work at, you begin to entertain the thought of whether you are thin enough to fit into an overhead bin. Eventually, you make it and no one else can understand why you are so happy to be LEAVING Hawaii.

Never really had too many problems going into other cities, but I always leave myself a large window for error.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

Antipodean

Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:44 am

I commute from PER to LHR and I never go via SIN, HKG or BKK anymore.

After being stuck in SIN for 3 days, I was so late for my report that I just went back to PER and missed my entire 3 week block. I was lucky not to lose my job.

The best way to get from Oz to Britain is via NRT.

SHUPirate1

Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:49 am

DrMech-I don't work for an airline, and therefore obviously don't have non-revenue privleges (and would probably abuse them to death if I did), but having been on quite a few ORD-LGA flights, I'm surprised that they would be so full, considering two airlines have hourly flights between the cities...I'm a Voluntarily Denied Boarding freak, and I think I've gotten bumped on that route once, and that was on New Years' Eve...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

DeltaGuy

Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:04 am

MCO...without a doubt. When there's 777's oversold by 30, you know you've got a problem...

LAX sometimes runs a close second for me...

Delta "I always find the empty flights" Guy  Big grin
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Delta_Fan

Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:12 am

NAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stuck there for 3 days .........

CO2BGR

Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:19 am

No cities are bad if you are flying when few other people are.

I have had troubles getting to Florida, been to alterernate aitports several times
SRQ and MCO instead of TPA and
TPA, MLB and DAB instead of MCO

I once flew BGR-BOS-EWR-CLE-MCI-IAH-RSW to get to TPA.

I also had to spend an extra day in TPA trying to get out.

I watched 4 planes leave without me to SFO and another to OAK from EWR in January

Dont have too many problems going:
BGR-BOS
PWM-EWR
BOS-EWR
EWR-Chicago

There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds

trnswrld

Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:40 am

I non-rev on AA all the time through ORD-STL-MCO. STL isnt much of a problem anymore but I do get in trouble out of Orlando once in a while. If I dont get the flight direct to Chicago I usually will try for the flight connecting through STL. About 80% of the time I get on the flight. Mostly flying first class since coach is full most of the time.

aussiestu

Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:51 am

The worst for me years ago was always LAX-SYD. Especially with UA. They would send a 747-400 out with nil pax in F because they do not accept staff in F. What would make me laugh back then was we would accept UA staff with only Y priority in F so that we would not have a back up of staff travellers. Our airlines policy was upgrade and get every person away as soon as possible, thankfully for them! Then of course UA joined Star and so we now treat UA staff like they treated us. If you want to go to SYD then go anyway except via LAX.

amirs

Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:55 am

For us Israelis, the worst is BKK followed by YYZ. During the holidays and beg/end of summer break it is a nightmare to get back to TLV from NYC (even with the 4 - 5 flights).

HNLFlyBoy

Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:18 am

I am not crew, but I have heard the horror stories about trying to get out of HNL...Someone mentioned getting here is not a problem, it's going back. But if everyone got here, they have to go back right? So wouldn't it be a problem in both directions? I also know for a fact that West Coast-HNL is the hardest routes to get a free FF ticket on. It's booked almost a year in advance.

Even for me that travels on revenue tickets, many times the flights are oversold and I have volunteered to give up my seat. I can't even imagine what it's like to be a non-rev at the gate and they start to look for volunteers for seats....

DeltaAgent1

Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:22 am

The other day I worked the SLC-HNL flight (gate agent) and it was oversold
by 28 seats (764) and we had 37 non revs listed.

HNLFlyBoy

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:16 pm

DeltaAgent1,

out of curiousity, what kind of compensation is offered to volunteers who give up their seats? How did u manage all of those people denied boarding? Yikes!

CanadianNorth

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:54 pm

We might be non-revving to HNL in a few months... thank god we are only doing that there and are taking the more layed back route coming back (via ocean liner, otherwise known as a cruise ship)

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

komododx

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:01 pm

MIA-BOG-MIA used to be terrible some years ago.

KdX  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I'm homeless and unemployed

frntman

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:38 pm

Right now......MSY! Happy Mardi Gras!

BHMNONREV

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:28 pm

Non-revving to LAS on AA is not bad provided you go early in the week, and avoid Fri/Sat/Sun. Best bet on return is to catch the red eye to DFW, leaves at around 1am or so. I have flied this several times and have had both cabins (F and Y) less than half-full. Not sure what current equipment is, but I have always been on a 757. Plenty of room.

Non-rev hell at almost any time of year on AA: LHR.......

plaaneboy

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:37 pm

I think it depends on service. For example, I have a friend who works for DL that has a hard time getting to SNA. With limited service, their flights are always full. I also have a friend who works at AA, and he never has a problem non-reving to SNA all year round. The difference is that AA has quite a few flights to SNA, whereas DL doesn't.

Day of week and time of year play a role too. If you want to fly to MIA on a Friday-Sunday trip during February, you're going to have a tough time. Now, if you choose to going on a weekday, you won't have a problem. Europe during the summer is a bear, but go in May or September,you won't have problems.

[Edited 2004-02-24 15:43:10]

[Edited 2004-02-24 15:44:19]

JGPH1A

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:43 pm

BOM/DEL - never ever ever try non-revving from either of these 2, flights are ALWAYS full - I've known people get stuck for a week and have to buy full fare tickets out via the Gulf, just to get home.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

DeltaAgent1

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:03 am

HNLFLYBOY, the policy at DL on overbooked flights is to accomodate all
passengers happily at the least of amount of cost to the company.
If neccessary to get volunteers, we have to raise the amount of compensation etc. offered. In this instance, we had a number of misconnects so
we only had to do DBC's on 7 passengers, who gladly gave up their seats in exchange for $300 travel vouchers for future flights, and we re-accomodated them on connections thru other cities. Knowing that a flight such as this is oversold, rather than making a big announcement and getting the entire gate area upset, my preference is to ask passengers as they check in at the gate if their time is flexible and if they would be interested in taking another flight in exchange for the voucher, upgrade etc. I like to have my options for
reaccomodating passengers ready when I tell them, so that I can get it taken care of right away without a lot of fanfare over the situation. This helps keep the flight orderly, and gives a much better image than the gate annoucement that we are in an oversold situation. Being in a hub city, misconnects help out oversold situations. In the instance I referred to above, the Non-Revs had to attempt other flights.

StevenUhl777

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:14 am

Forget Spring Break week to anywhere...if kids are off school at any time during the year, don't even bother going to the airport.

Forget Christmas week, and probably Thanksgiving, too.

Big snowstorm someplace? Forget DEN, ORD, NYC, IAD...depends on the hardest hit.

HNL, SYD, LHR would be my top three. SFO can be a real pain in the ass, especially when there's weather delays.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

DrJetMech

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:28 am

ShuPirate1, it seems like it would be easy enough, but it wasn't. If one flight cancelled you were screwed the next three at least. And, there would be a lot of times I would get a seat but sit in the bullpen at ORD for 2 hours, finally take off just to get to LGA and sit there for 1 hour waiting for a gate.
A lot of the times it wasn't about getting a seat but what you would have to go through week in and week out. Not to mention all that time wasted at the airport and in the aircraft(and I'm a smoker). So my vote goes to the LGA-ORD pair pre-9/11.

rb211

Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:20 am

I remember when I was working for Delta and dealing with non-rev pax flying on the nonstops between ATL and HNL and DFW and HNL was ridiculous. Heck just dealing with SkyMile Medallion members on those routes was ridiculous especially when you have to route them HNL-OGG-LAX-SLC-CVG-ATL and that could take DAYS!!!!!W hat's worse is when you have non-rev'ers ping-ponging between airlines trying to find a way out. It's crazy!
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

AirframeAS

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:44 pm

Getting out of ANC on AS to go to the lower 48 at ANYTIME during the year is a pain in the BUTT!!!!!!!!!!! Its a headache even when seniority didnt matter. No question about that. But getting to ANC is a piece of cake.

Ive never really been stranded anywhere else besides ANC. Ive always carefully planned my trips before going anywhere. Anything that is 70% full or higher I wont risk trying to go on.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

av8rphx

Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:43 am

ive never had problems non revving on HP or NW. I find that usually the 1st flight out is generally the best bet,but this all depends on the destination and flight loads for the day. I never had problems non-revving to SAN or getting out of SAN. Maybe I just lucked out?

HPCMHPHX

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:10 am

I didn't have a problem when I non-reved to HNL. Maybe it was because it was during the first year anniversary of 9/11. The flight on HA to LAX was so empty we got a seat when we checked in at the ticket counter 3 hours prior to the flight.

Since HP closed the CMH hub, PHX-CMH-PHX is always hard to get on, especially in first class. I always try to go through LAS, they have a red-eye to CMH that is almost always open.

FutureFO

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:41 am

Some of the worst cities I ever non-revved from were LAX, LHR, and that is pretty much it. I have had excellent luck out of TPA, MCO, GNV, and JAX. I have only gotten stuck in LHR overnight but that was during the season where evryone just happen to be in the EU for some apparent reason. I have also had a hard time leaving EWR, and ATL.

Sean from MCO
I Don't know where I am anymore

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos