Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trijetfan1
Topic Author

Has Anyone Read "Unfriendly Skies" By Captain X?

Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:57 am

What are your comments about this book. I am in the middle of it and I love it so far. If you haven't read this, I highly recommend it!
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

ssides

RE: Has Anyone Read "Unfriendly Skies" By Captain X?

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:03 am

Not sure I've ever heard of it. What's it about? Is it about United (hence the name), or just aviation in general?
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

mikeyCpvd

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:05 am

I read it...about 10 years ago. I had a good time with it. It's not in any reference to United at all, though. Just to the fact that commercial flying can get a little dangerous sometimes, as you will read about.
Some cats think i'm 6 feet, I'm so deep; I can get d-d-down like a pessimist - Common

JAL777

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:05 am

If you don't have the guts to put your name on what you write, it ain't worth reading. (And yes I've read it, and no I don't think it was worth the $3.00 I spent on the book.)

COTXDFW777AA

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:08 am

I have read it, it is pretty good, I would like to know what airline he worked for (maybe it wasn't UNITED). I would like to hear his oppinions on the Lcc invasion, (TED) too. My only complaint is that he won't stop talking about deregulation.

-COTXDFW777AA
Texas- it's like a whole different country!

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:10 am

I've read it as well and thought it was an excellent book. Although it is now horribly out of date. From what I gathered the airline he worked for was Delta. As it seems to be the only airline that operated all of the aircraft he mentioned. He also does an entire chapter on Atlanta. This book was brought up once way back when in this forum.

trijetfan1
Topic Author

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:10 am

I think the airline was Delta- based in ATL and the pilot flew 727's and 767's.
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

ssides

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:11 am

I assume he criticizes deregulation? If that's the case, I'll save my money. Look at my signature ... don't get me started.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

trijetfan1
Topic Author

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:56 am

It is out of date but it is very interesting! Smile
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

dc8jet

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:34 am

To me any book about commercial aviation is of interest. It's been around for a long time so it's pretty out of date. Didn't he write another book about airline safety?

iluv727s

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:36 am

How ironic... I picked it up from Half-Price books about a week ago and just finished it this afternoon! I read it cover to cover and loved it. I loved his beginning story about his flight to "Saginaw" with the "8 year VETERAN" 727 F/O and the eager wide-eyed S/O.

I too gather that he was a DL Captain due to her references to his base in Atlanta.

Great book... I recommend it. It was easy to read and entertaining. I provides a glimpse of post-deregulation flying.

A lack of planning on your behalf does not create an emergency on my behalf.

isitsafenow

RE: Has Anyone Read "Unfriendly Skies" By Captain

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:48 am

I hate to bust your bubbles, kids, but that one is not high on my list of airline safety book. I have 30 or so books on safety and that one rates lower then a dozen others. Captain X flew for US AIR. His name was leaked a couple of years after the book was published. If you want the cream of the crop, try ELECTRA STORY by Robert Serling if you can find it. I can hint that public librarys have trade programs with others if your local library does not have this book. They can get it for you. Enjoy The Captain X book it if you will, but I grade it C plus.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

futureualpilot

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:52 am

I read it, but having been so young then and things having changed so much then, it was more of an interesting glimpse into the airline world for me than anything.

Still, it only made me want to fly for an airline all the more!
Life is better when you surf.

prosa

Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:04 pm

I read it years ago; from what I recall, it was fairly interesting but nothing extraordinary. Probably the most interesting part was the author's description of an aircraft accident he witnessed while serving in the Air Force in Germany in the early 1960's. Very disturbing.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

IMissPiedmont

Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:48 pm

The book in question is interesting reading, for quasi-fiction.

I agree with the point about "The Electra Story." Easily the best of how and why and what happened in an accident investigation. I'd offer to sell my copy but none can, or will, pay the price. (First printing, autographed to me by the author.)
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

MD-90

Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:57 pm

I was under the impression that Captain X was an Eastern captain, not Delta or US Air.

I wouldn't take it as gospel, but it was a mildly interesting read. I got it for cheap at a used bookstore.

Bluewave 707

RE: Has Anyone Read "Unfriendly Skies" By Captain

Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:35 pm

I have read the book. It is one of my favorites. A couple of non-aviation friends read it too. They said it was interesting.

If you enjoyed that book, read "Flying Blind, Flying Safe" by Mary Schiavo. That's got some eye openers too. Some things may be outdated, but still a great read.
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

cedarjet

Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:15 pm

Captain X flew for Delta. There was a great book about Delta written a couple of years ago and it contained a whole chapter about Captain X and his book.

I loved The Unfriendly Skies, a great read. Comparing it to The Electra Story by R Serling is ridiculous and misses the point. The Unfriendly Skies is a quick and exciting read, giving a snapshot of aviation in the USA in the early 90s through the subjective observations of one pilot. As such it succeeds admirably.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

HikesWithEyes

Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:34 pm

I suggest reading "Blind Trust" by John Nance.
First, benzene in my Perrier, and now this!

contrails

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:11 pm

I read it, about 10 years ago. In fact, I was looking at it just this weekend. A lot has changed since he wrote the book, but many of his concerns are still valid.

I always figured he was with DL, probably based in ATL.

My favorite chapter was about the "hijacking" that ended at SFO. He was the right-seater in a DC-8. Hilarious.

Flying Colors Forever!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos