Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

windshear

RE: Continetal Airlines Confirms New Service To Oslo!

Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:39 am

Tillykke Norge!!!

Fedt for jer!!!

I think it's great that you are going to have an American carrier going to your capital, it's been a while since any US carrier flew to my hometown airport of CPH...

I flew with DAL from CPH-JFK great airline!

Boaz...

STT757

Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:00 am

"don't forget LH fly a scheduled B-737 everyday into EWR from Dusseldorf."

Actually LH flies a A319 daily from EWR to Dusseldorf and a BBJ (737NG) from EWR to Munich daily.

Av8rDAL

Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am

Warren747sp-
That 737 is actually a BBJ operated by PrivatAir for Lufthansa. It's an all-business class configuration, so legroom is plentiful. I'd take that trip any day.

As for the 757, I'd probably have to sit on the aisle for a pond crossing. The window is no good when you have to climb over two people to go take a leak or whatever. The middle seat...it's a middle seat, whichs sucks usually, having no wall to lean your head on or aisle to stretch your legs in. Also- the drink services blocking the aisle wouldn't be cool. I guess I'd prefer a widebody over narrowbody. Although the 757 wouldn't be bad if the load was light and I had an open seat next to me....

asuflyer05

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:19 am

"Normally 757s in coach are pretty packed, don't have alot of (if any) IFE in case you get bored reading, sleeping, twiddling your thumbs, etc., plus I think it would start to seem tight after a while being in that narrow of a fuselage."

Trans-atlantic on a nonstop 757 is still better than flying EWR-??? and having to wake up to stand on a Passport Control line only to board another flight and do the same thing all over again.

I'm hoping they have a 15,000 mile reward sale like they did when they introduced Hong Kong.

Matt

LHR001

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:35 am

Oslo?????

Come now SAS has had faltering numbers on the Newark to Olso run for quiet some time now!!

Why doesnt Continental Airlines try to serve destinations that are much more in demand such as Lyons, Nice, Barcelona, Seville, Luxembourg, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Florence, Pisa, Rotterdam, Berlin, Oporto, Faro, Turin, Basel, Munich, or Cologne?

Partner airline Northwest Airlines bombed out of Oslo after on a brief run from Minneapolis on the DC-10!

Sounds like a summer service that will be reduced in the winter months!

LHR001

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:43 am

Would business travelers really pick a CO narrowbody on this sector over SAS's widebody? Hell, if you want to fly a 757 to Scandinavia, you can go with Icelandair, save a load of money and even get a stop in KEF to stretch your legs before you get DVT.....

LHR001

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:53 am

Understandably passengers would not mind flying the exclusive A319/737 equipment over the ocean in an all Business Class situation.... (i.e. Lufthansa/Privat Air)

Who in their right mind would want to fly on a 757 in Economy for over 8 hours at a time? Why is Continental gambling with this route? If the airline cant operate a 767-200 which has near the similar capacity... Why run the route at all.

Continental Airlines main European partner KLM Royal Dutch Airlines only has a handful of flights a day to Oslo and in saying so is on nothing larger than a 737 aircraft? Why the sudden interest in the Norwegian market?

If SAS feels that the route is not profitable with a bank of connecting flights on the Oslo end... how will Continental Airlines fill the 757 .. 7 days a week and 365 days a year?

LHR001

N670UW

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:09 am

Come now SAS has had faltering numbers on the Newark to Olso run for quiet some time now!!

Firstly, SAS is cancelling the route effective this summer.

SAS is using the A330 on this route, which is much larger than the 757, hence many more seats to fill.

Also, SAS has less feed at OSL than CO does at EWR. CO operates a massive hub at EWR, with feed from points all across the western Hemisphere.

Who in their right mind would want to fly on a 757 in Economy for over 8 hours at a time?

Despite a smaller overall cabin size, a 757 seat is no smaller than a 767 or 777 seat. Comfort levels are the same.

If the airline cant operate a 767-200 which has near the similar capacity... Why run the route at all.

Because, although the route may not be able to fill the amount of BizFirst seats on the 762 (hence the use of the 752, fewer BizFirst seats - but similar capacity), CO believes the route still has the opportunity to make money.

STT757

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:10 am

"Why is Continental gambling with this route? If the airline cant operate a 767-200 which has near the similar capacity... Why run the route at all. "

The same way they have been successfully marketing 757s across the Pond for almost 10 years now, a nonstop is always preferable to a connection for business travellers.

With SAS dropping the route CO will be the only airline in the market, CO has been flying 757s from EWR across the Pond for nearly 10 years. Many routes such as Glasglow, Amsterdam, Brussels, Manchester and Dublin operated as 757s at one point and were later upgraded to larger aircraft.

Others such as Lisbon and Shannon have been 757s the whole time, Birmingham started out as a DC-10 and is now going to double daily 757s this Summer.

If CO can upgrade the EWR-Oslo flight to a lager aircraft and "still" make money they will, if they can make a profit with just a 757 the will choose to fly the 757 and make a profit then to not fly the route at all and miss out on the opportunity to make a profit.

CO has the best management team in the business, they do their homework. The route is not for everyone, why turn over potential high paying business customers to KLM or Air France when CO can fly them the whole way on their own metal and keep all the profit.

Fact is 8 hours on a CO nonstop 757 flight from EWR to Olso saves time by avoiding connections, connections that can be missed.

Most folks posting they would rather fly a widebody are not the potential customers CO is trying to tap, they want the High paying business traveler who wants to get where they are going directly and get home as soon as possible.

If that means 8 hours in a 757, 3 hours in a ERJ-145XR or 14 hours in a 777 vs a connection in Atlanta, Tokyo or Paris business travelers will take it to get home "that much" quicker.

The future of International travel (especially to Europe and Asia) is nonstop point to point travel, ie:

LAX-Singapore A340-500

EWR-Hong Kong 777-200

EWR-Dusseldorf A319

BOS-MAN AA 757

EWR-Oslo 757

ORD-Dusseldorf BBJ

UAL is "de-hubbing" their Narita operation to concentrate on more point to point Asia flights.

DL closed their Frankfurt hub to concentrate on more point to point routes.

tommy767

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:40 am

This is very interesting. If CO is expanding to Oslo, I wonder if they will expand to Moscow, Copenhagen, Stockholm etc. And for 3866 miles, that is a LONGGGG haul for a 757. Anyway, good luck to CO on this route. I hope its profitable.

flyguy1

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:45 am

Routes like this, also show why, the A380 may indeed be a niche product only.

STT757

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:53 am

"Routes like this, also show why, the A380 may indeed be a niche product only."

Exactly!

When CO finished their Global Gateway expansion CO Executives Gordon Bethune and Larry Kelher were quoted as saying CO was going to expand their Trans Atlantic routes from EWR to 25-30 destinations, they are up to 19 with the Oslo announcement.

Cory6188

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:00 pm

So is CO going to have to hire Norwegian speaking F/A's for this route? This will be the only destination for CO where Norwegian is necessary, and I'm sure that there will be many pax on this flight who cannot speak English well (or not at all). I would doubt that CO already has a language qualification for Norwegian, so they might have to hire some more in order to have Norwegian available on the flight.

COEWRNJ

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:37 pm

Just a thought, but I would think they will try and see how many current FA's they have that can speak the language at a fluent level before hiring a handful just to operate one route. Just my thoughts..

LHR001

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:48 pm

At the very most two Language Qualified Flight Attendants should suffice on the Newark to Oslo service. Of course you must also take into consideration the load factors and if Continental Airlines will be operating with 4 or 6 Flight Attendants on their Newark to Oslo service.

If you have 2 Language Qualified Flight Attendants that is 4 Flight Attendants required per day at 7 days a week = 28 Language Qualified Flight Attendants.... In addition you must take into consideration the hiring of about 3 times the amount for proper staffing needs.. That would bring you to a total of = 78 Language Qualified Flight Attendants.

Before you go any further you must also inquire as to if Oslo warrants a Language Qualified Flight Attendant. The language which is often mistaken for Swedish, Dutch, Danish, and German is not a readily available language to search for! In addition an overwhelming majority of people in Norway speak in English. As in schools in Norway ... English, is most often the majority foreign language that is taught!

In light of the above. Look for Continental to pull from its current flotilla of Flight Attendants before the airline posts a vacancy for a Language Qualified Flight Attendant class for Norway.. Continental Airlines by the way is more likely to look for French, Spanish, Japanese, Cantonese, Arabic, or Italian speaking Flight Attendants than they are to search openly for a few Flight Attendants to service EWR-OSL!

LHR001

warren747sp

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:50 pm

They can recruit F/A from MSP area without too much difficulty who can speak Norwegian.
I think most businessman like myself will fly this route in C or J class with our Elite status and usually an upgrade.

KaiGywer

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:53 pm

Cory 6188 wrote:
So is CO going to have to hire Norwegian speaking F/A's for this route? This will be the only destination for CO where Norwegian is necessary, and I'm sure that there will be many pax on this flight who cannot speak English well (or not at all). I would doubt that CO already has a language qualification for Norwegian, so they might have to hire some more in order to have Norwegian available on the flight.

Actually, all Norwegians under, I'd say 50, speak English. It is a required class in school, starting in 3rd grade. All imported movies and tv-series are in the original language (which most often is English), with Norwegian sub titles. My grandma is 65, she can speak and understand enough English to get by on a plane without a Norwegian speaking F/A. My sister is 12, she could very well go to a US school without any problems at all.

Just yesterday, I was looking at flying CO to Europe, as I've heard their F/C is very well worth non revving in, compared to NW. And now, they tell me I can fly straight to OSL. Just one word; Sweeeeeet!  Smile

ANX4fishing

RE: Continuity Airlines Confirms New Service To OS

Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:24 pm

Back in the day, I did AA SJC-BOS 3-4 times a month on a 757. Got to know coach pretty well. That plane is no worse than a BA/UA/AA/US widebody coach going overseas. After 6+ hours in any coach seat, it really doesn't matter. My all-time worst coach experience was a particular BA 747 flight, SFO-LHR. The misery started at push-back and ended 11 hours later.

heisan67

Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:58 pm

Norwegian-talking F/A on this route....haha. This must be a joke. Why?? In Norway everybody speaks English, and often Germen/French as well.
English is compulsary at school from the age of 9. And when starting high school, 90% start learning another foreign languages such as German or French.
And Norwegian do understand Swedish, and Danish...though Danish could be a bit more tricky.

MAH4546

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:22 pm

Norwegian-talking F/A on this route....haha. This must be a joke. Why?? In Norway everybody speaks English,

Very, very true. English is spoken fluently by just about everybody, and it is remarkable how fluently Norwegians speak it. It is not at all rare for Norwegians to be tri-lingual. It is the same case in Sweden: everyone speaks English. In Finland and Denmark, the majority of the population is, again, fluent in English.

However, that won't change the fact that Continental will be sure to have Norwegian-speaking F/A's on thier OSL-EWR service as a courtesy to the Norwegian customers on board, regardless of the fact they are likely fluent in English.

English, is most often the majority foreign language that is taught!

Majority foreign language? As it has been mentioned, in Norway's school system, English is a mandatory class. Everyone is taught it, though they of course have the option of learning other languages, like German, as a third language.

Though, back to the topic. I'm really excited about this news, Oslo I'm sure is too.

Continental Airlines, oensk velkommen til Norge, det er stor ha De.

[Edited 2004-02-25 09:28:46]

AMM744

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:52 pm

The teenyweeny twinjet expansion continues,

Where next ? a 757 from EWR - SYD perhaps!!!

Here's a new slogan for weeny twin jet operators.

"Let's see how many people we can cram into the most confined space possible".

vadheim
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:33 pm

What is good with this service is that Continental can offer onestop service (at EWR) to most North American cities.

Many Norwegians travel to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Washington States to visit their relatives there and vice versa, and I guess Continental serve cities like Minneapolis, Madison and Seattle from EWR. Easy access to Houston is of course important for oil business too  Smile

Cory6188

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:28 pm

CO does serve SEA, MSP, MKE, MSN, and IAH/HOU all from EWR. I'm sure those flights will help to fill the OSL flight.

Amazonphil

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:36 pm

AMM744,

Easy now, don't explode.. The 757 is a great A/C! would fly it round the world non-stop if it were possible...(c:

Amazonphil

caravelle

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:51 pm

Two questions to those of you in the know:
Any possibilities of a code share here, OSL - EWR, and if so with what other carrier?
What are the chances of CO hooking up with, say DY and NB from OSL to other Norwegian and Scandinavian destinations?
Any thoughts?

- caravelle

tavve

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:05 pm

Jb: Well lets hope continental goes for Gothenburg also.

Jcs17: If Continental doesn't serve CPH or ARN I doubt they'll be heading to GOT anytime soon.

Why not? ARN & CPH already have nonstop EWR connections. Of course GOT-EWR nonstop would not be profitable but why not GOT-OSL-EWR? If CO starts a code share agreement with CF, City Airline, I believe that CF might consider acquiring new aircrafts to reopen their Linköping-GOT route and open up new routes to UME and LLA.

vadheim
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:15 pm

I think Maersk Air (DM) might want a code share from Billund (BLL) to Oslo (OSL). They have three daily nonstop services today!

Billund is centrally located at Jutland in Denmark! Maersk Air have code share with KLM and Air France already too!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Florian Eggenschwiler

Kabila

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:30 pm

Good to see CO grow again on its European Routes. If there are any Norwegians on this forum (or Norwegian speakers), wanting to work for CO in BRU (Brussels/Belgium) to help build up the new OSL-route and join a winning international airline, just keep an eye on http://www.biac.be/jobs/

You must be willing to move or relocate to Belgium and legally work there. More details on the web site.

Airmech56

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:39 pm

Ok this reply is meant for all you pre-Madonna passengers that keep comparing the 757 to an RJ. Why is it that you need two aisles in an aircraft to fly over the atlantic? Are you people just too good for A/C with one aisle? Continental has been flying a 757 from EWR to LIM for the longest with out any complaints, which by the way is also an 8 hour flight. Also as of last month Continental has been replacing it's coach seats on their 757-200 to the same seats that are being used on the 757-300's. These seats have articulating seat bottoms that move forward when you recline. So if your worried about comfort Continental has already taken measures to accommodate their passengers. A/C 111 & 115 have already been converted. And if you want to get technical Continetal's 757 have the same amount of space from seat to seat in coach as they do on their 777; the least amount of space you'll have is 31 inches from seat to seat which is measured from the front of each seat track on the floor, just in case you needed #'s to justify my statement. And for all you big money spenders Continetal has been refurbishing all of its "Buisness First" seats to avoid inflight malfunctioning seats because the design of the seats are about 10 years old, hence the changing of the coach seats. So going back to my first question "why is it you need two aisles in an aircraft to fly over the atlantic." I dunno maybe passengers who fly over the atlantic have the sudden urge to do jumping jacks up and down the aisles and need the space to do so. I guess thats understandable but every flight I have been on whether its been transatlantic, domestic or whatever passengers usually sit in their seats wait for their meals and then take a nap. Especially if the flight is overnight, but hey thats just me......LOL

vulindlela744

Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:03 am

Great news. I live in South Florida and have very few options in getting to Norway. Last year I took KLM from Mia which wasn't too bad. Except the long layover in AMS. Good luck CO. I think it'll do great.

KaiGywer

Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:55 am

When will the flights show up in COs booking system at continental.com? I looked last night, and could only get connections through AMS with KLM from AMS-OSL.

slider

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:36 am

Great posts N670UW and Airmech...

LHR- While OSL isn't a big market, it is a soid niche market and could end up being a solid route for CO. We'll all find out. But more than half of the cities you mentioned alleging "higher demand" will not and probably could never sustain direct NYC intl service. Torino? Pisa? No way. I could see MUC perhaps, but route planning is more than simply shooting a dart at a map.

The talk of gauge as it pertains to a 757 is interesting. Based on some thouhts here, you'd rather support a traditional 2-aisle widebody blindly than fly the right A/C for the route. ANd while CO's 757s don't have personal AFE at every seat, this flt will also be configured for BusinessFirst.

Makes me wonder what other European routes could be in store for CO.

ScottB

RE: Continetal Airlines Confirms New Service To Os

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:20 am

It seems pretty clear to me that SAS's A330 didn't work for OSL-EWR because the A330 is too large for this route and because thrice-weekly service isn't as attractive to business passengers as daily service. SAS's connecting opportunities at OSL are, frankly, trivial when compared to the scope of the EWR hub.

It seems to me that CO has smartly chosen to serve European cities from EWR which have little to no transatlantic competition. They are less likely to serve NCE, BCN, CPH, ARN, or MUC from EWR precisely because competing service from either JFK or EWR already exists to those cities. I'd be amused to see someone try to fly a widebody from Florence to the U.S. with its 5500-foot runway.

David_itl

Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:06 am

Scottb, your statement is not quite true for their MAN service as BA (from 1954 to 1983 and 1985 to present) and PIA (since 2001) operate to JFK with additional competition from AA + bmi to ORD, US to PHL, VS to Orlando, DL to ATL, bmi to IAD and soon AA to BOS and perhaps NW to DTW from 2005. Yet despite that, CO are still planning to upgrade from 764 to 772 for the summer.

STT757, to the best of my recollection, BHX never started with Dc10s - it was 757s but got upgraded to Dc10s.

David

gkirk

Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:04 am

David, the BHX service indeed started with 757s then going to DC-10s before going back to the 757s. I dont believe any 767s or 777s done the EWR-BHX route.

Andie007

Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:43 pm

Will CO name any other new longhaul routes near future?
Wasn't there mentioned that new destinations will be confired at the end of the week?

SJU767

Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:24 am

CO 75B are configured :
J 16
Y 156
---------

CO 762 are configured
J 25
Y 149
---------

It is just 2 more seats on the 767, plus the landing fees are more. It makes a lot of logic to use a 757 to open up this route. I'm positive once the loads get better they will change to a 762.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos