Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alexinwa
Topic Author

To All A.NET Members!

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:18 am

A few things I want to say to you all:

#1 I'm glad that I am not the only Airline Industry "Nerd". ( my friends and family think I am nuts ) Ya know, looking at a in-coming plane and telling your girlfriend where it came from, how many seats are in it, how far it can fly, what model it is, how many flights there are a day, the fleet size of that airline, it's hubs, new routes, old routes................ALL THE THINGS THAT MAKE HER LOOK AT YOU AND WONDER WHY SHE'S WITH YOU  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

#2 The amount of information, knowledge, and help I get on this site is nothing short of amazing

#3 All opinions, whether I agree or not are great and welcome

#4 "Airline Industry nerds" are the COOLEST people on earth  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Thanks!!!

JGPH1A

RE: To All A.NET Members!

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:20 am

Alexinwa - Live Long and Prosper. On behalf of bobble hats and anoraks everywhere, I thank you.

Your pointy ears are in the mail.

BA747400

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:22 am

I couldnt have said it better myself.

Well posted alexinwa!!

-Mike

[email protected]

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:28 am

It's weird. Most men and some women are into cars, yet it's not considered weird, sad or pointless. Some men and women are into trains, yet it's considered very weird, sad and pointless. Some men and women - probably more than those into trains but less than cars - are into planes, yet it's considered less sad, weird and unusual than trains but more than cars. Is the level of public acceptance determined by what other people do, i.e. more people like cars so it's OK, whereas a lot less like trains so it's deemed strange and unusual, or is it to do with knowledge or both?

GLA MD11

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:39 am

I understand what you mean: I am in cars, trains and planes. Nobody around me seems to understand, until they need some technical info from me...
Cheers

warren747sp

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:41 am

Just curious to see what percentage of members in this forum are women?

codeshare

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:43 am

May the Force be with You.

Big thumbs up

AA623BDLSJU

Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:43 am

Long Live A.net And Aviation Fanatics Across The Globe!!!

Spike

Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:51 am

They think you are sad because like train and car spotters you are now in-doors on a computer rather than outdoors on a platform.
My girlfriend though has never understood the attraction of big engines until I likened them with her personal assets.
Nice to look at.

A388

Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:52 am

WOW, well said Alexinwa,

Snif snif, it makes me wanna cry...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Peace to you and everybody else here and all over this planet  Wink/being sarcastic

Regards A388

TriStar500

Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:56 am

It certainly is a nice way to kill some time and make a decent amount of dough.  Smile

upgradeplease

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:06 am

If you think you are bad...I took my apartment based on the view of LGA and the traffic pattern. I can actually type on my computer watch traffic at the same time.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Lucky727

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:16 am

Upgradeplease : lol - you should win an award of some sort.

Alexinwa : well put - as I've said to new members..."Welcome to the Treehouse with Wings"  Big thumbs up

Warren747sp : % of females is probably under 5% (moderators might have correct stats)

Before I found this site, I thought this hobby/obsession was followed by a very small niche of society - man was I wrong!

cheers

crjdispatchkid

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:17 am

Nerds! HAHA, I'm kidding y'all. I'm in too!

yow

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:18 am

Alexinwa, that was very well put...something all of us on here can relate to. Just added ya to my respected users list.

Andrew aka YOWman

N766UA

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:21 am

I know for a fact that people (some, not all) who make a huge hobby of trains are rather odd. The main example being a 48 year old man who still lives with his parents. He's never held a job, never had a relationship, has been sued about 10 times, and spends his entire life watching trains. Now if that doesn't give you train people a bad rap I dunno what will...

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:24 am

Alex was right on, and it's nice for someone to say what we are all probably thinking. I don't know too many people locally who are into aviation, so if any of you A.net members ever plan to visit NYC, especially those from overseas, send me a message and maybe we can grab a drink or something...

m404

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:24 am

Spike

Does this mean you prefer twins versus threes and fours?

[email protected]

My take on the "Acceptability Factor" on trains versus planes is that of age. Trains have been around a lot longer but are dying (in the USA) as far as long distance passenger use is concerned whereas planes are much newer and as a means of mass transit are in fact increasing in use as fares decline. The car? Everyone has a car, so "cool" is defined by individualism of choice versus mass and therefore not really a factor in this.

You will see comparisons on A.net of acft and a/l favourites that can be separated by the writers age. The younger simply don't know the older therefore one is "in" by shear numbers versus "out" by experience. Same comparison as above.

sterne82

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:28 am

Some people are also in streetcars and buses... and that's the worst... people are looking at you like hell, and tell you that you have to see a doctor... . Sometimes policemen stopped asking you what you're doing with a camera in front of a bus AND moreover you're talking to the driver not trying to agress him. Some drivers laugh, others are curious and some takes you for assholes which must get a life... But passengers are rolling their eyes when they see someone taking a picture of "their" bus.

In my case, it's trains, buses and streetcars, and planes... So doctor, what must I do? lol

Regards,

Sterne

flyingdoctorwu

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:36 am

I find nothing wrong at all with loving airplanes...it isn't too eccentric.. besides it's only a problem if it is pathologic... to me there is nothing more beautiful than a plane, one of man's largest creations able to take flight ... nothing is more mystical... who here also reads all of the airline magazine's religiously..? you know the ones: Airliners, Airways, Airliner World etc etc... i don't get them (because I would only want to subscribe to one) but do manage to read them all every month (with a nice cup of coffee at the local barnes and nobles). Wait that was probably a dumb question because we are all airliner geeks... Anyway nevertheless, very well put!

Chris

m404

Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:25 am

HEY. I love trains and I'm very happily married with a career in airlines, reasonably well adjusted except for far to much time on this site. And I've never been arrested. So there....

Now all those folks that watch those documentaries on serial killers, plastic surgery, autopsies and reality TV, and (here it comes) wrestling, Woooo. Give me a plane/train/streetcar anytime.

But heres something totally weird I've wondered. A long time ago before I picked my career a girlfriend who was into Astrology (I ignored that part) said that since I was a Sagittarius that a prime interest was in mass transportation of people, goods and ideas. She nailed it. Wonder what percentage of A.netters are winter children.

Just for fun

alexinwa
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:57 am

Jeez, I forgot all about the train fetish. Well I didn't really forget, this was a airline fetish thread.

It's not just airplanes ( my biggest fetish however ) Mine also includes trains, ships ( cruise ships the most ) and yachts. Im glad Im not the only one  Smile/happy/getting dizzy From my condo, I look west at the SEA flight path. West to the BFI flight path. A little NW to Elliott Bay in downtown Seattle. And look down below me to the west and what do I see...............well well, it's the Renton Boeing plant. Nothing like hearing a train whistle and seeing 737's going by on a train. Look honey it's the plane train!!! She really does think I'm wacko!!!!

Not sure I could live in a better place in the Seattle area, well.......Just west of SEA-TAC on the hill, with a full airport view would be nice. Talked with the better half about that.....she wasn't interested. Not sure why!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:01 am

I grew up with my dad in the import car business, and his job was in public relations which included planning events and travel, so I got a big dose of cars, hotels, cruise ships, and of course airliners. Of course I also had a train set like any American kid in the '70s, so today I sort of find myself interested in travel/transportation history in general (with a strong bias towards airliners as I really wanted to be a pilot as a kid)....It's partly why I left a more lucrative job in investment management to do what I do now...

Qantasclub

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:11 am

This thread is so well put. I'm a medical doctor and yet, there's always been this side of me that is fascinated with planes-not the pissy little fighters or cessna, but big BIG chunks of gleaming metal capaple of flying hundreds of passengers around the world effortlessly in comfort.
My wife has gotten used to it, but for years and years, many of my friends would label me a weird fanatic, eccentric, etc (ok, well, they still do) but since discovering this website last year, I know i'm not alone! We're united! It never ceases to amaze me the thousands of members who are out there and the very quick turnover of discussion reflects how many of us there are.
I still collect: Airline menus, magazines, timetables (although they are a dying breed), tickets, model air planes, etc.

Live long and prosper.

We're OK.

(sniff)

cheers,

Qantasclub.

sw733

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:20 am

yeah yeah yeah YEAH...all my friends know how much of a nerd I am (ie - when I send an itinerary to a friend i put what type of a/c i am on..LIKE IT MATTERS TO THEM!). I love it though. Knowing what kinds of planes to avoid and what to take, knowing what sounds on a 757 are normal and what arent! We rock!

Mexicana757

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:51 am

Why can't #4 be #1??  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Laugh out loud

alexinwa
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:05 am

OK #4 can be #1

I'm with Quantasclub, my girlfriend has taken my fetish as part of me and still likes me. So I guess that's a good thing?!?

Anyways, here in SEA before the 3rd runway construction began, we had the BEST park in the world. It was a 40 spot parking lot along the west side of the runways at SEA. It was packed all the time. People taking pics, some making out, others just watching in amazement at how close you could get to the active runways. Im guessing here, but many a times I could see faces of people on-board if they had plastered their mug to the window. Had to be no more than 150 yards from the fence to the active.

BOY I MISS THAT!!!

The only reason I dont like the 3rd runway at SEA. They took my park away :-(

asuflyer05

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:08 am

Amen Alexinwa!

I've spent a significant amount of time lurking and I just subscribed. I go to Arizona State which is under the approach path to Sky Harbor. I'm the one turning around and walking backwards to see what is flying over. But my apartment is even better since I can sit out on the balcony and watch aircraft making their turn for final.

Now if only I could get graded for the amount of time I spend on A.net...

norjet

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:21 am

On our first date, I took my girlfriend to the top of the MSP parking ramp. Figured it would be best to disclose that part of my personality up front...

Guess it worked; we've been married eight years now. When we go antiquing, she usually finds the airline stuff first. And she actually got me vintage timetables for my birthday this year!

Cheers!

--Scott

Jj

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:25 am

amen to that.

I think the only other person that understands that in my life is my girlfriend, and then that's cause she's into planes too...  Smile

alexinwa
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:26 am

Hey Norjet.......Not like you didn't know this already but, SHE'S A KEEPER!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

NWA ARJ

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:34 am

I totally agree with you Alexinwa. My parents look at me the same way. My grilfriend thinks I am a loser sometimes too. But I would not trade any of the for the world.

tommy767

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:34 am

Oh God! My friends think I'm completely nuts for likeing airplanes, nevermind commercial aviation. Yet, most of my friends always turn to me for airplane facts, flights, hubs, fares etc. I know most of the information off-hand, so its convienient for them. I also like cars, but in my high school, especially being a junior, most peers are WAY TOO obsessed with cars. Although I like cars, I obviously concentrate more on planes. Thats why I'm a member here on A-NET  Big grin

ScarletHarlot

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:51 am

Hey Alexinwa, greetings from Snohomish! I'm on the other side of this, I am a girl whose husband is not as geeky about aviation as me. The dear man got me a flying lesson for Christmas and before the lesson we went up to Paine Field with my new portable scanner (another Christmas present!) and listened to ATC...to prepare him for the flight I told him what ATC was saying and who they were saying it about and he ended up getting mad at me because he couldn't follow it! He was also surprised to learn how runways are numbered...I think he still doesn't quite get it though.

Every day around 3:30 I start watching out my office window for the SAS A340 from Copenhagen and the BA 747 from LHR...always makes my day when I see them. When Sea-Tac is landing from the north a lot of traffic comes by my window. I keep a pair of binoculars on my desk so I can check them out.

I too have learned so much from this site and made some new friends. It's very cool.

b741

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:18 pm

AlexinWa

I totally agree with you. I always ask friends what a/c they are flying on and to thank the crew for the safe flight. Friends always forget to pick me up timetables at the airport. When I lived with family in Kirkland and Monroe, WA, we took in the Everett plant tour, Museum of Flight and rode the bus to SEA-TAC-passing by the Renton plant. Awesome airport and city with good views at the top of the car-park and United-Alaskan ramp. Just call me Gilbert!

flyingbronco05

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:21 pm

Now all we need to work on is getting people here on A.net to spell HANGAR and Qantas correctly. You don't know how sad it is that people on here, who work around or with planes, spell hanger, not hangar.

FB05

Greg

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:41 pm

It makes little difference to anyone how Quantas is spelled...or if grammar is correct. I'm betting half the time folks only briefly proof their posts--and that's only to make sure their point gets across. Correct format and grammar is of very little consequence to anyone except those that excel in petty matters.

Of more exacting interest would be: What specifically makes you sad when this happens?

Brgds.

cytz_pilot

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:52 pm

I love the transportation hobby. Planes and trains are my thing, the 7 months I spent living in London were like prozac to me.  Big grin Even the buses there are interesting.

Must have visited Heathrow a dozen times, and passed through every train station within zones 1-3.

I fear my fiancee thinks it's a bit odd, but she is used to it...I even get her into it sometimes. She can identify a 747, and the differences between the A319/20/21...although she says a 757 looks EXACTLY like a A321. BLASPHEMY!!!

EMBTucano

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:53 pm

Flyingbronco05:

You're right. I've sent corrections for the word HANGAR countless times.

I can see the traffic from my window. It is the coolest thing. I live 3 minutes from SAT and everywhere I go, I always drive by the airport to see what is
going on.

I love my hobby! Ah, and my girlfriend too.  Innocent (she was reading while I was typing.)

Cheers to all !!!

[Edited 2004-02-25 04:55:22]

IMissPiedmont

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:36 pm

I've always wondered why people thought I was strange. OK, I am, but they spend every weekend inside watching the same sports game they've seen thousands of times, while I'm at least outside. Though I am of course watching the same aircraft I've seen thousands of times.

At least I'm outdoors and getting exercise.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:43 pm

Boeing once wanted me to go over and work with Spares Engineering over by Sea-Tac. I told them if you give me an office with windows on the 11th, 12th or 14th floor (so I could see the traffic) I would do it. Otherwise, forget it. The job was on the 2nd floor. Might as well be in the underground parking garage. No I didn't take it.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cx340

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:11 pm

Here is a true story that sort of illustrates Alexinnwa's point no 1:

My wife and I want to go on vacation. Based on available time and resources, she suggests Cancun or Miami, and I suggest Jamaica.

Of course, my suggestion is made not only because of the great destination Jamaica is supposed to be, but because my crooked aviation mind has already planned to (i) fly the "lovebirds" of Air Jamaica, (ii) experience Donald Sangster International Airport (the second best thing after SXM), and (iii) choose a hotel in MBJ that is practically next to the Airport so I can spot all 4 days! As you may have guessed, SHE HAS NO CLUE!

When the time to leave for MBJ finally comes, I start explaining what we will be flying, where the airports are at, etc. and she gives me this look. . .the "are you going to start with this aviation bs again look" which I'm sure most of you have received from your friends, family, partners, etc.

When we are finally descending into MBJ, I start getting all excited about the landing and start explaining what I know about the airport to my wife, to which she listens in awe. . .not because of my knowledge on the matter (which is rather poor I admit) but because she is starting to unveil my wicked intentions for going to Jamaica. She immediately responds; "I hope you are seriously not thinking about spending our vacation time at or near an airport".

Imagine her reaction when she finds out our hotel is located right next to. . .well you guessed it. Then I got the next and final look, the "I wonder why I'm with you" look.

But bottom line is, SHE'S STILL HERE, and we had a wonderful time!! Except maybe for those short escapades of mine to snap a shot or two of a departing "lovebird". . .

Oh,and now she knows that an A320 has two wing mounted engines that produce a very special whine . . and was nice enough to memorize the aircraft types on Air Jamaica's fleet!! Don't ask me why, divine intervention?

Cheers!

NWDC10

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:46 pm

WELCOME to the club, Dude!! Reguards Robert NWDC10

alexinwa
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:57 am

I love all the warm happy feelings! I feel so special and warm and fuzzy all over. Ok thats enough.

Side note, I showed my girlfriend all the replies to this thread and she laughed saying that we all need a convention or something once a year. Sounds good actually.

asuflyer05

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:01 am

"Side note, I showed my girlfriend all the replies to this thread and she laughed saying that we all need a convention or something once a year. Sounds good actually. "

Not a bad idea. I'm sure with all the A.net members who can non-rev and those with freq flyer miles, we probably could all get together one day.

AA623BDLSJU

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:09 am

"Side note, I showed my girlfriend all the replies to this thread and she laughed saying that we all need a convention or something once a year. Sounds good actually. "

Ya know, that actually does sound like a good idea. I'd be down for that. Although at this point if I do not get that job with US Airways then I'll have to buy my tickets or use what my miles I have in my AAdvantage account.

May I suggest that we should have our first meeting in LAX or SEA.

FutureFO

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:38 am

I agree whole heartedly. The fact that there are more people that are into planes and that those of us who are "NERDS" about it are glad we have a hobby that actually helps with security. I am really suprised that living here in the US that we are not used as supplemental security for the airports. Since we have the eyes available to do so.

Sean from MCO

N276AASTT

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:48 am

It never fails,

The only time my friends and family seem interested in my knowledge of the airline industry is when vacation time comes around and they need advice on which airline to use, which way to go, what kind of service can they expect, etc. I feel used!

BWIA 772

Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:09 am

My family are amazed at thhe amount of info i know about airplanes and as far as i am concern i dont know that much. I dont have to time to pay as much attetniton to the forum that i would like to. My cuz thinks that airways magazine is the most boring thing on earth etc.

Upgrade please:
if I end up living in Barbados I plan to get a house near the airport so that i can see traffic.

My parents who travel more than i do have realised that when they travel they have to tell me about the plane. My brother only find me useful when we are at the airport and he ask me about the planes. I find these questions basic which makes me upset.

I honestly think I may turn this hobbie into a career the thought has become more and more apitizing since i started university.

Tolosy

Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:19 am

Could not be more exact.

I am trying to learn to my girlfriend how to recognize an aircraft.

So the big big one, is the 747

The long one is the 757

The long one but not that long is the 321

and the fatty one is the 310

Believe me it works !!!!!

Hello to all a.net addicts.

Nick

Don't forget, we are the best!!!