Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

UA Flt. 1 Returns, ORD-HNL, What 777 Config.?

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:08 pm

UA has announced, and it has been posted in another thread, that they will return flight 1, ORD-HNL non-stop. I think this is great news. I was reading in the Honolulu Advertiser yesterday a story on this. Writer needs to do a bit more research though as she states in her article at one point that the route will be operated with a two-class 777 and in another point in her article she states that it will be operated with a three-class 777. I think we all know the truth here, especially since it came straight from UA, that the route will be operated with a domestically configured two-class 777.

My thoughts are, after reading the article, why doesn't UA use a three-class on this route? After all, wouldn't you want to showcase your premium cabin products on your Flight 1, especially on such a trip as ORD-HNL, which is 8+ hours anyway.

The competition on this route is AA, which flies the route with a 763 configured in two classes. The competition itself will be with their First seats. AA's 763 offers a very generous 62" pitch and an 18.5" width, lumbar support and a leg/foot rest.* UA's 777 offers a 38+" pitch and a 21" width, no lumbar support and no leg/foot rest.* It's clear that there really is no competition now that I think about it. I'd take a 62" pitch anyday on an 8+ hour flight.

We will see how this really works out. Oh and if I am not mistaken, AA offers two flights HNL-ORD daily....

F9Widebody

RE: UA Flt. 1 Returns, ORD-HNL, What 777 Config.?

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:23 pm

Ya, it is unfortunate. I am coming in on UA flight 20 DEN-HNL (a 7 hour flight, and to my knowledge the longest flight this config is used on) and it as well, is a 2 class 777. But there are so many people on those flight using frequent flier miles and the like that it just makes sense to get as many people as you can onto the plane. Personally, I don't mind it that much, because although it has no PTV's, it does have economy plus which some of the international variants do not. In addition, on planes equipped with PTV's there is a little processing unit under the seat in front of you that takes up quite a bit of leg room, so I am not too disappointed, but I can see where you are coming from.

Regards,
F9W
YES URLS in signature!!!

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:35 pm

F9Widebody,

Wasn't it you that wrote that really terrific TR about your UA flight on the 744 in C from DEN to SFO? Pics and all, that was a great report if that was you. I can see from that where you would enjoy a longer flight in C. From what I heard, the DEN-HNL and back flight is always packed. UA has a real sort of monopoly on the HNL market and has for years. I am sure DEN is the same way with UA. I'm just not sure if I want to spend that amount of time in coach, Economy Plus or not....

UA744Flagship

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:48 pm

I had placed a rough configuration estimate last time, but now I have the official.

F34/ Y310.

6AB will be cordoned off with a curtain and feature a modular footrest.

Only 2 Y+ seats will be curtained off and reserved for F/A crew rests.

HNL Flyboy, this route is expected to be mostly frequent flier award redemptions... so no need for a 3-class product.

With AA, they decided they would rather have a standardized 767-300 fleet than have to deal with sub-fleets as United does. AA doesn't do it because of the premium pax demand...

UA will make a killing on cargo, as the 777 has more volumetric cargo capacity than the 747.

[Edited 2004-02-25 15:52:03]
no wire hangers!

FutureFO

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:43 am

Anyone have any that they would put an Intl 777 on that run. I knew that it would be set for high density. Also it is a 9h flite from KORD-PHNL.

Sean from MCO
I Don't know where I am anymore

F9Widebody

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:58 am

Yep, that TR was mine. If you want you can check out a 2nd part I did, SFO-DEN. That flight was on an int'l 777. (Shameless Plug Big grin ) Out of curiosity does anyone know the difference in flight times between the DEN-HNL and ORD-HNL runs?

Thanks,
F9W

[Edited 2004-02-25 23:58:39]
YES URLS in signature!!!

HNLFlyBoy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:35 am

F9,

The flights are not showing up on the UA electronic timetable yet and I have downloaded the latest version. As soon as I can access it, I think the flights actually start to book this coming Saturday, I will post.

HNLFB

Boeing Nut

Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:51 pm

I read in Aviation Daily that configuration will be 36first/312 economy.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

JC5280

Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:52 am

36/312 is the normal config. But with the ALPA and AFA deal, the crew gets two seats in F (FO) and two seats in Y (SW).

Hawaii's yields have never supported a 3 class config. There are just not enough people who pay for F or C. But there are a lot of upgrades. There may be a plane swap that sends a 3 cabin aircraft out there. It happens every once in a while.

ord

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:05 am

"UA has a real sort of monopoly on the HNL market and has for years."

I don't agree with this. "Monopoly" means no competition, and that is certainly not the case. It used to be United dominated Hawaii and was the only major airline that flew to the outer islands. In the late 1970s/early 1980s they would fly 7-8 747s between LAX-HNL alone. But other airlines have increased their service to Hawaii over the last several years. American, in particular, flies to all of the outer islands just as United does and has roughly the same number of flights to Hawaii.

[Edited 2004-02-26 20:06:39]