Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CO737
Topic Author

Long RJ Flights

Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:20 am

Hi all,
I recently read an article in USA Today, which discussed how regional jets are starting to fly longer legs by replacing big jets on certain routes (the article gave examples like SFO-AUS, DFW-OAK, CLE-SAT, etc.). The article then went on to interview people, with most people saying that they hate sitting on RJs for that long, and some companies even said that they refuse to fly their employees on RJs for flights longer than 90 minutes. I've been on RJs for longer than 90 mins, and it definitely wasn't as bad as the article made it out to be. Just wondering about your thoughts on the issue...

CO737

nycfuturepilot

RE: Long RJ Flights

Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:37 am

I really don't mind RJs at all, in fact, i kind of like them. It is much easier to board and deboard them than it is on a mainline plane and seat 1a on a CO express ERJ is the best seat, unlimited legroom and its a single so you the the window and the aisle.

markk

Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:51 am

If I didn't get upgrades as part of elite I would not mind them as much, but since I do I avoid long RJ flights like the plague. I will take a more comfortable seat any day of the week.

Airmech56

Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:54 am

Continental just launched a flight from Newark to Freeport not too long ago. Thats about a 3 hour flight on thier extended range RJ 145's with winglets.

SHUPirate1

Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:00 am

I know A vs. B is banned on the board, but is C vs. E allowed? (For what it's worth, I'm an "E" fan)

doninfc

Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:04 am

Well, I can say this: I would definitely prefer a 2 hour non-stop flight on an RJ as opposed to a 4 hour connecting trip using mainline. True, RJs have replaced some mainline routes, but the have also replaced a lot of prop service and have opened up entire new routes that otherwise would not exist with mainline aircraft. Overall, I think the RJ revolution has been positive, and has made jet service feasible for many routes that cannot economically support mainline service.

dahawaiian

Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:07 am

I didn't really care for IAH-CHS and back on a CO ERJ145 last December. It almost felt like I was sitting on a wooden bench for most of the flight.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:17 am

Hmmmm, I love the 145 but 3 hours I feel would be a little uncomfortable. I fly from ISP-CLE on Continental Express and that is my limit.

GO EMBRAER they make great planes.

A330Jamaica

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:53 am

I can barely tolerate the RJs for 1 hour flights. I cannot imagine three hour + flights on RJs . They are impossible to move around in if need be, they are cramped, they cannot accomodate reasonably sized carry on luggage that are no problem for mainline, they are difficult to board etc. I am 6'3" tall so maybe that explains it partly. If not careful up enplaning and deplaning, one might have ones head decapitated. Additionally once inside and waiting for everyone to be seated, if you are seated at the rear, you will start having neckaches because of the inability to stand fully upright. The flight ride quality on RJs is also not as comfortable given their lack of mass, hence they are thrown around in blustery conditions that would be less likely on larger aircraft. They are convenient (turboprops equally so for that matter) if it means avoiding a 4 - 5 hour drive after a long mainline flight but apart from that they are not desirable.

CO2BGR

Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:10 am

I dont really mind RJs that much, I would rather be on the single seat side of an ERJ than in the middle seat of a 737. As a non-rev those are usually your choices.

VC745D

Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:24 am

I dont really mind RJs that much, I would rather be on the single seat side of an ERJ than in the middle seat of a 737. As a non-rev those are usually your choices.

I'd ride in the lav if I could ride for free, but paying full fare and winding up on an RJ doubles the pain.

traveler_7

Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:56 pm

Once I took Rheintalflug flight from VIE -TLL ERJ145 flight time were about
2h 25min. And I cant say that I have any complains except that the space for cabin luggage is restricted, which could create certain inconveniences.

flyingdoctorwu

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:33 pm

RJ's have taken quite a hold at my home airport, CHS. I think only US flies mainline jets here, with NW, UA, CO, and DL flying RJ's. I don't mind them, and I think that they shoudl serve a certain purpose: to extend service, not replace it. My favorite is when I have to go to NYC, WAS or Chicago just hoping a RJ and flying non-stop. It's nice, particularily to LGA from the southeast. I think there are a number of cities in SC and the south with non-stop service to LGA, which is something that did not exist before RJ's. I remember flying CHS-CLT-LGA or CHS-ATL-LGA. Off the top of my head I think that CAE, GSP both have non-stops. Interestingly enough, give that AA's RJ fleet is small compared to most of the other majors, there is no service here at CHS, and if memory serves correctly I think that they only serve GSP. A sure shame because SC hold some excellent vacation spots and will be inaccessible until AA expands their RJ fleet. And thus, I have never flown AA because of that... So in conclusion I believe the RJ can serve markets and non-stops that never existed before, extending airlines reach and complementing existing routes.

Chris

cedarjet

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:42 pm

What a load of nonsense! Neck ache cos I can't stand up straight in an RJ! Then sit down like you're supposed to!

On a plane ride, you sit in a seat and read, sleep and look out the window. Whether you do it in the company of 300 others on a 777 or 50 others on an RJ makes no difference. Except during boarding, and at baggage claim, where the RJ wins by a country mile.

Airmech56

Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:16 am

Well said Cedarjet! This reminds me of the "Continental confirms new service to Oslo" thread, where people kept complaining about using 757 across the Atlantic and also compared the 757 to an RJ. If you refer to what I said in that thread you can relate it to this thread. But seriously some of you really need to quit your whining. I bet you these same people complaining about neck aches and the size of the RJ's are the same people that repeatedly call on the FA with the annoying FA call buttons. I'm 6"1" and yes I have to duck my head to get in and out of the aircraft but once I sit down you couldn't tell if I were 6'1" or 5'3".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos