Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Rebrandings That Went Wrong

Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:42 pm

Can anyone tell me of any airline that "rebranded" itself but this "rebranding" just went bad??
Eagles Soar!

DeltaGuy

RE: Rebrandings That Went Wrong

Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:44 pm

TED...........lol

Big grin the jury's still out tho.

DeltaGuy  Big thumbs up
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Heinz

Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:46 pm

Thomas Cook replacing Condor

bonanzaair

Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:40 pm

The merger and re-branding of Bonanza, Pacific, and West Coast Air Lines into
Air West.

Bonanza

ACEregular

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:42 pm

Airtours International (AIH) became MyTravel Airways (MYT). It is quite cheap and everyone knows MyTravel are pants.

inflightmags

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:15 pm

HUGHES AIRWEST & SOUTHERN AIRWAYS to that very very horrible REPUBLIC uncolorful scheme...from banana yellow & very stylist S to a yuck...'

Also, BA world colours..I think it is brilliant..but the british hate it..

Also Air india getting rid of the cheatline back in the 90's so they reverted back to the scheme they have right now..they can keep the cheatline but change the tail

JAT AIRWAYS..enough said...

CROATIA...wrong turn...

AEROLINEAS ARGENTINAS..more color please...

AER LINGUS...come on now...

AIR TANZANIA..from a lion's roar to a ....(fill in the blank)

MAERSK...totally unblue...

PAKISTAN...please bloom again...

VHTAE

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:29 pm

I agree with Inflightmags, JAT and Croatia's tails don't look great.

AeroAussie

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:41 pm

What about all of this TUI-business?! We're losing some classic liveries to that vomitrocious blue with the stupid red smile.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sascha Foerster

AND
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere

AND
View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Sheldon

To:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jeroen Hribar

AND
View Large View Medium

Photo © DAYOT jean-charles

AND
View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Rosa

Any sense of individuality and identity has been lost. They all look miserable now. Ugh.

-Nick

kalakaua

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:59 pm

I think HA has improved KKMolokai. I don't see an Adam's Apple. To tell you the truth, I hated the last colorscheme, especially on the DC-9s!!! It reminded me of "TheBUS!" Pualani kinda looks like:

And to educate you Speedbudgie, in ancient Hawaii, being a "mahu" did not have anything to do with being homosexual. Mahu(s) were just the male children that had to be raised about as being a female to take on the female role when the female elder moved on. A mahu was designated when a family had too many boys. These people were respected, and being gay was another thing.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

Trident

Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:43 pm

"Failed Rebranding" does not just mean "A colour scheme I don't happen to like". That's a personal view. My understanding of the original post is that it relates to rebrandings which had a detrimental effect on the airline's image and it's commercial operations. I wouldn't think Aer Lingus' "new" colours could be blamed in that respect. However, there is no doubt that the BA "Utopia" schemes were a PA disaster for that airline, especially in its home country. Whether it contributed to the downturn in BA's fortunes which followed quite soon afterwards is harder to decide although it probably did play its part.

RyanairA320

Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:06 pm

Aer Lingus can't be given the title of a "Rebranding that went wrong".

There survival plan has worked. They have launched over 28 new routes in the past two years ordered 17 new A320 aircraft and for the first time in years they announced record profits.

They have incorporated the slogan "Low Fares, Way Better" which I like. EI also changed their fantastic livery on 4 of their 737 aircraft (2 -500 and 2 -400). I didn't agree with this change but it doesn't bother because I know that these aircraft are soon to be phased out (with their aerlingus.com livery) in the near future in favour of the graceful Airbus A320.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Olli J.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Florian Kondziela

RyanairA320

Ryanair 'The Low Fares Airline' and now also 'The On-time Airline'

FLYtoEGCC

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:09 pm

I agree with ACEregular - the worst has to be Airtours' poor attempt at changing to MyTravel. If you're going to rebrand, at least make a proper job of it. MyTravel are still operating most of their fleet in that hybrid Airtours/MyTravel scheme - all they did was change the logos. In fact, I can't make up my mind which looks worse - the rebadged Airtours aircraft, or those shockingly disgusting orange and purple MyTravel aircraft. Was there any point to it in the first place?

SPEEDBUDGIE
Not wanting to get off topic here or get involved in someone else's row... but where I come (Manchester) the word "fag" is often used as a colloquial term for a cigarette. So if you ever happen to visit, be aware that if any one asks for a fag, they are not being insulting.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

9A-CRO
Editor

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:30 pm

Croatia Airlines

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tomislav Muic
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tomislav Muic

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

Capital146

Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:53 am

ACEregular is correct. The Airtours rebrand to MyTravel was just a complete waste of time. The tour company of Airtours always had a dodgy reputation so the airline, Airtours International, was a brave attempt to restore some credibility.
The rebrand to MyTravel has seen the company plunge to new depths of shocking service and the airline is synonymous with long delays and poor quality (with the possible exception of the long-haul A330 services). After my own MYT crap experience (on top of all the horror stories over the years) I avoid MYT like the plague and will NEVER knowingly use their services again.

Don't even get me started on the TUI rebrand, particularly of the once-proud Britannia. A contender for the all-time worst UK airline rebrand. How I would love the power to sack the person who thought it was a good idea to change the identity of an airline from "quality" to "cheap".
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

KKMolokai

Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:26 am

Sorry folks, it was not my intent to "ruffle any feathers." My post was written on two hours of sleep, and a better choice of words could've been used. Again, it was by no means an attempt to insult anyone.

Perhaps I should have said, "The new Pualani logo includes what appears to be an Adam's apple, thus giving her a masculine look about her." Any better?

Kalakaua, thanks for getting my back! I guess us "locals" knew what I was trying to say. For the rest of you, I was simply trying to define "mahu" (a Hawaiian word) in simplest terms.

Either way, I liked Hawaiian's old Pualani better. The new version resembles the guy on Alaska's tails, and is a bit "busy" looking. The former logo was simplistic and authentic.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

Leskova

Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:30 am

How about the rebranding of Tyrolean (and I think one or two other OS-regional carriers) into Austrian Arrows?

Putting all of your regionals under one brand name is one thing, but to use a non-sensical name as "Austrian Arrows"? What's that supposed to mean anyway? Any ideas?

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

searpqx

Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:52 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned probably the biggest example of a remake gone wrong - Allegis! There was no remake of the UA color scheme or logos, but in 1987 the holding company for UA, UAL, Inc., decided that it really wanted to be all things to all people, and because it also controlled Hertz, Westin and Apollo (computer system), chose a name that was supposed to represent a global one stop source for travel needs. Thus was born, United (an Allegis company). The public didn't get it, the pilots revolted, the stock price never came anywhere near what the individual brands were worth, and in the end, the entire thing was dumped. Each individual business was sold off, leaving UA as the main holding of the renamed UAL.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Mikey711MN

Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:57 am

It slays me that YX is still oft-referred to as Midwest Express. Just my opinion.
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

Craigy

Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:00 am

I vote for Airtours to MyTravel.

There is a trend in Europe to brand the airline to be in-line with the most recognised travel company.

Britannia has become THOMSON

JMC Air has become THOMAS COOK

Air 2000 has become FIRST CHOICE

All of these new names reflect the strong identity of the travel company - you go into Thomas Cook travel agents, you book from the Thomas Cook brochure and you fly on Thomas Cook airlines. Same name, same logo throughout.

Airtours however, have gone the other way. You used to book from the Airtours holiday brochure and fly with Airtours. If you look at the back page of the Airtours brochure you will see that they are part of the MyTravel group (in very small print).

Yes, the Airtours to MyTravel re-branding was/is very messy. Several years later and the aircraft are still a mix of interim and current livery, with the occasional old livery with blanked out titles thrown in. The message this gives to the customer is "old aircraft, couldn't be bothered". Compare this to the JMC/Thomas Cook change - the JMC colour scheme vanished almost overnight.

Regards,
Craig.

Leskova

Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:02 am

Mikey711MN, what is they're name now? Strangely enough, if you move your mouse cursor over the YX, this website will actually also display "Midwest Express (USA)" as explanation...

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

Mikey711MN

Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:10 am

WOW! Good point! It's Midwest Airlines. They ironically dropped the Express label--from what I'd read about it--because they felt it had the connotations of being a regional carrier. Along those lines, Skyway Airlines, YX's regional carrier, was renamed Midwest Connect to reflect its position better.

Midwest Express
Midwest Airlines
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

ltbewr

Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:12 am

Don't forget the US Air to US Airways, a 'rebranding' of questionable worth. This is more what the initial poster was asking about. Usually though, rebranding = redo of livery too.

flashmeister

Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:30 am

Also, let's not forget Delta's short-lived livery and branding between their currnet livery and the widget. That was a disaster.

KKMolokai

Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:33 am

Flashmeister, I totally agree ... DL lost me with their re-branding failure. Personally, I liked their "middle livery," or their livery prior to the current one the best. I thought it was smart looking. The current livery is hideous, and the rings on the engine nacelles ... what's that all about?
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

alcregular

Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:48 am

I think we have a joint contender for the worst re-branding of an airline. MyTravel and Britannia. MyTravel cos they started to do the re-branding at the wrong time, i.e they could not afford to waste valuable funds to use on half-a-job painting when they could have used the money more sensibly. Tui re-painting Britannia is a joke, given the reputation they built over the years. No-one takes them seriously anymore with the colour scheme. Im going to stop there cos I'll go on all night about these two jokes of re-branding. Theres my 2 cents worth thrown in.
Why drive when you can fly?

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:04 pm

Wow i didnt expect that much response.

Starlionblue
I dont think that the World Tails were a bad idea at all. Infact to me it brought home the fact that BA is a global airlines. I mean compared to the world tail the current livery looked nice and regal but I find that now the BA plane just look plain due to the fact that this new livery does not have the same prestige that the Landor livery had.

My example is BWIA. The new livery new jingle new theme and the airline is still plagued with the same old problems and in my view the standard of service seems very low.
Eagles Soar!

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:23 pm

BWIA 772 said:
I dont think that the World Tails were a bad idea at all. Infact to me it brought home the fact that BA is a global airlines. I mean compared to the world tail the current livery looked nice and regal but I find that now the BA plane just look plain due to the fact that this new livery does not have the same prestige that the Landor livery had.

Since the BA image tanked with the World Tails, they were (in hindsight) a terrible idea. Nice looking empty planes do not keep an airline in business.

Personally, though, I loved them. But I think that if you are no an aviation geek you will not "get it".

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

airmale

Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:20 pm

PIA

From

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alan Ling

To

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dennis Lau

.....up there with the best!

ACEregular

Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:36 pm

I am very pleased that my opinion - AIH/MYT is jointly recognised by other A.net users as I believe it to be the worst marketing mishap of any corperation in years! AND I USED TO WORK FOR MYTRAVEL!!!

Even when they were toying with the idea of merging all the UKLG groups together i.e Airtours, Panorama, Direct Holidays, I could see it would be a great mistake. Two of the three companies I have mentioned offered exception value and service, good accommodation and had built up a brand that advertised on repeat business. I will not point out the other as they were an embarrassment to the travel world and would in no way have liked to have seen the reputation of the two other companies to be sullied.

On May 1st 2002 all the groups were joined together and the resulting name MyTravel was chosen for the overall parent group and its affiliated airline which was until then the not so bad airtours International.

By then they had one A320 in the whole fleet painted in the full colours G-CRPH. Two years later we are still waiting to see if they manage to paint any more besides G-PIDS and the newly delivered A321's.

The whole name and corporate image is synonamous with crap and cheap and most people do not know who MyTravel are. In October 2003 I had enough and could not bare it.

By then it is MyTravel had already lost an overall customer base of 1.2 million people worldwide.

BestWestern

Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:35 pm

BMI Baby is quite a hideous revamp of BMIs regional (not BMIregional) operations. The BMI relaunch was excellent - even if they never bothered completing it.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

FlyingColours

Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:13 am

I think that the Airtours to My Travel is probably one of the worst, I don't think its a complete disaster but it has affected the company in a bad way. I won't say any more on them because of my upcoming interview.

Britannia to Tui - Argh please don't get me started, I could yell for hours about this. Nobody seems to take this airline seriously any more, I have spoken to people who think britannia have just about dropped off the face of the earth because they can't recognise the new colours (not the Thomson one with small BY writing but the one before that with larger BY writing). They said they would not toutch Corsair, you could just tell that managment was itching to paint those 747's.

Thomas Cook, that goes for both the Condor and Flying Colours/Caledonian thing. To put it simply there is no way I would fly with them, ever. Condor was a great airline, now people have no idea what has happened to it (Thomas Cook was a British guy (I am afraid to say) and many Germans have not got a clue who he is). Sure they managed to remove the JMC colours pretty much overnight but the damage is done. JMC ruined it, Flying Colours at the time had the reputation for the best charter airline in the UK, really they should have just killed off the Caledonian name (since they returned most of the KT fleet) and kept a sucessful name but oh no. I'll stop here.

Air 2000, another one bites the dust. At least the colours remain, but that logo is horrid it makes me feel sick because of its shape (First Choice logo).

Its a real laugh when i'm at the airport, I call everything by their origional names, I call TCX Flying Colours, First Choice Air 2000, it really drives my parents nuts. Funny though, I still call My Travel My Travel.

Going to go before I waffle on even more.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

TransIsland

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:14 pm

Like the photographer said: "Lufthansa Express - history"

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos