Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Greg
Topic Author

ANA Ready To Committ To 7E7

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:56 pm

According to FI....read your copy online.

Greg
Topic Author

RE: ANA Ready To Committ To 7E7

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:57 pm

Let me add that they won't order it until June shareholder's meeting.
Its for the short range one.

AA787

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:59 pm

Anybody have a link?

Greg
Topic Author

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:31 pm

You need to subscribe....sorry.
I suppose I'd catch hell for copying and pasting....it some something like this:

Airbus prepares to compete for Japanese business with new short-haul design

All Nippon Airways (ANA) and Boeing are in detailed discussions over the specifications of the proposed short-range (SR) variant of the 7E7, which could result in a launch order around mid-year.

Industry sources says ANA is ready to commit to ordering 7E7s if operating efficiencies for short-haul flights are sufficient, although Airbus is vying to compete with an all-new short-haul design. If a 7E7 deal is agreed, ANA will not announce an order until after its June shareholders' meeting.

Airbus confirms it has discussed with ANA and Japan Airlines (JAL) a new medium-size aircraft for the short-haul market. Airbus believes its A330 and Boeing's 767, 777 and 7E7 are not ideal for Japan's domestic market and that developing a new widebody from scratch for short-haul flights would better meet the needs of Japanese carriers.

Airbus's long-term plans for a new short-range airliner were detailed by chief commercial officer John Leahy last year. He said that the aircraft, dubbed "A30X", would be "optimised for stage lengths of 1,000nm [1,850km]" and could be launched "around the end of this decade, to enable an entry-into-service in 2014-15". Airbus Japan says a decision on whether to offer the aircraft will not be made until at least 2006.

As a result, Airbus will only be able to compete to replace ANA Boeing 767s if the carrier decides against placing a 7E7SR order this year. ANA has not yet issued a request for proposals (RFP) for 767 replacements and sources say the carrier is considering ordering 7E7s without a formal tender.

ANA confirms the carrier is looking at the 7E7SR, but declines to discuss the specifications sought or the timing of a possible order.

JAL issued an RFP last October for Airbus A300 and 767 replacements, but has since delayed any consideration of the 7E7. At this point ANA is the more likely launch customer.

"We are certainly interested in this aircraft, but we are in no hurry to make a decision and are under no pressure," says JAL. The carrier does not plan to begin replacing 767s until at least 2008.

ANA and JAL say they will consider the Airbus offering as well as all three variants of the 7E7 - baseline, stretched and SR. JAL could use all three variants, but is expected to initially operate 7E7s internationally and later add 7E7SRs. ANA, on the other hand, is looking at initially ordering the SR variant.

Sources say Boeing aims to line up three to four launch customers by July's Farnborough air show, with deliveries to customers interested in the baseline or stretched variant ahead of deliveries to ANA.

col

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:42 pm

If I were Airbus I would not bother designing anything for the Japanese market. Surely the hard facts show that Japan is not an Airbus supporter. Other airlines have been replacing their 762/763 with 332/333 for a few years now, JL/ANA are the only ones with 763 orders. ANA are getting rid of 320/321 for 737. JL and ANA may have to order the 380, but they will go kicking and screaming, 74X would probably be there preference.

Airbus should put their investment in more suitable areas, and send more work to US with the $ situation.

Paddy

RE: ANA Ready To Commit To 7E7

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:45 pm

I know it won't happen with somebody like Stonecipher at the helm, but does anyone one else think that Boeing should plunge full speed ahead with the 7E7 without worrying about getting a bunch of orders lined out? It looks like there is a lot of interest in the plane but no one is ready to commit yet. It's difficult to imagine anything short of an airline industry catastrophe keeping this bird from being a runaway success. Boeing needs a modern day Bill Allen to step in and take some risks.

DfwRevolution

Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:08 am

The article says Boeing will announce 4 launch customer by June/July..

I think the bulk of orders will come in 2006-2010.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

starrion

Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:16 am

Airbus should forget Japan. With the amount of work Boeing is having the Japanese do on the 7E7, their airlines will be ordering them by the barrel-load. If there is one thing I respect about the Japanese, it's their ethic about buying their own. It's something Americans would do well to emulate.
Knowledge Replaces Fear

caetravlr

Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:21 am

Does this article then answer the question that was posted a few days ago about Airbus' future plans after the A380? They are actually planning to develop an all new short ranged jet? Would it be a platform that can be modified for different applications as the 7E7 sounds like it will be? It will be interesting to see what Airbus does in this category, but I can't see a clean sheet aircraft design solely for such a small niche.

However, it is GREAT to see that we might have a launch customer for the 7E7 soon. I truly do hope it lives up to, and exceeds expectations. If it does, I am sure it will be successful.

CAETravlr
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

ConcordeBoy

Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:21 am

Airbus believes its A330 and Boeing's 767, 777 and 7E7 are not ideal for Japan's domestic market

Sadly, it appears Airbus has begun to really grasp at straws:

They're trying to tell the Japanese that two highly proven models, and one yet to fly, arent ideal for their market...? Sorta pathetic.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:34 am

"Sadly, it appears Airbus has begun to really grasp at straws:
"

It's been going on for a looong time already. What about their "4-engines-4-long-haul-but-look-how-far-our-A330-can-go" campaign? Regardless of what you think of Boeing or Airbus, Airbus seems to have the flimsiest PR campaign.
I don't take responsibility at all

ConcordeBoy

Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:40 am

Regardless of what you think of Boeing or Airbus, Airbus seems to have the flimsiest PR campaign.

Agree with you 100%  Sad
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

F4N

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:29 am

To all:

Maybe I'm not recalling my facts correctly, but didn't John Leahy recently state that he's not concerned in the least by 7e7? It seems to me that offering a hastily proposed concept to a well respected international carrier
that denigrates a new, competitive product indicates some level of concern to me.

regards,

F4N

AirframeAS

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:42 am

With the amount of work Boeing is having the Japanese do on the 7E7, their airlines will be ordering them by the barrel-load.

I thought the parts were all made in Taiwan like the label says with the PMA-FAA Approved label. LOL just kidding  Big thumbs up

Speaking of the A380, I am concerned about safety when it comes to the max weight on take-off. I dont think the plane can even take off on a full pax/cargo load because that would be soo heavy. Maybe on empty weight it can take off, but I dont think the A380 will ever get off the ground. Hopefully I can be proven wrong. The way it looks..............it looks too heavy. Maybe it would look good as a car with turbine engines. LOL

A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

AvObserver

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:11 am

Looks like the 7E7 will launch about on target with Boeing projections for mid-year, proving they still can get a new airliner program rolling, many (not I) were doubting that. Congratulations, Boeing.  Big thumbs up

gigneil

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:22 am

The way it looks..............it looks too heavy.

Boss, billions of dollars went in to designing the plane. They're more concerned about its safety than you are, which is why I assure you it will take off.

People said the same thing about the 747, except back then computers and CFD and real theoretical engineering work were nonexistant, so it was actually a gamble. Now its a precise science.

N

yyz717

Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:38 am

Perhaps a minimum change 332 sans winglets and lighter all up weights (a la 332 lite) would be the best Airbus counter offer.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

ozzie

Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:48 am

Yes, John Leahy did say that. But still, what is he supposed to say? That he is extremely worried about it?

Back to the topic. I think that Japan would be a great starting place for the 7E7. I would like to see at least one American launch customer, but I have a bad feeling about the likelyhood of that.

Thrust

Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:49 am

Now all we need is for somebody to order the 7E7 long-range. Besides Alitalia, who do you think might be the launch customer or co-launch customer?
Fly one thing; Fly it well

rjpieces

Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:54 am

Possbilities include BA, and EK.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

travellin'man

Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:49 pm

Noteworthily pathetic is also Leahy's claim that they can have the A30X ready in another TEN or so years (by 2014,5!). Easy, cowboy, what's the rush?!
It is not enough to be rude; one must also be incorrect.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos