AeroAussie
Topic Author

Approach To LAX

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:41 am

I'm flying into LAX tomorrow on CO from EWR, arriving around 11:30. What are the chances that our flight will approach over the Pacific? (I've never flown into LAX before, so I'm not familiar with their approach patterns.)

Thanks,
Nick

socalatc

RE: Approach To LAX

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:52 am

Slim and none. Looks like LA will be in Regular traffic. You should have a nice approach into LA, its been beautiful here. You will more than likely be landing on the south complex (the 25's)

LHcapt2007

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:56 am

can't call the west or east landing, but the weather looks questionable with dense fog developing into the morning and hanging around a while, it should be about 70 around arrival with a high about 82 inland and in the 60s on the beach. Hard to call on the runway winds shifting around to the SW from the SE light and variable around noon. Well at least you know the weather...
enjoy your flight, cheers
LHcapt2007
how bout the heat lately!?

[Edited 2004-03-10 02:57:17]
TNCM

roseflyer

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:57 am

Yeah, basically zero because the winds will be from the west as usual. You will get a look at the UA, DL, and AA terminals on landing though because you should arrive on the 25L.

[Edited 2004-03-10 02:57:52]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

socalatc

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:59 am

Yup, your correct.. 25L is the approach runway for the south, and 24R is the approach runway for the North. Not saying that we always land on those, just about 90% of the time.

[Edited 2004-03-10 03:06:15]

vikkyvik

Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:01 am

It's fairly clear today as well (at least near downtown), so you should get some beautiful views of snowcapped mountains. At least they were snowcapped when I saw them a couple days ago...How bout the heat indeed! Also look out for Las Vegas a few minutes before starting descent; that's always a cool sight.
~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

socalatc

Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:03 am

Basically, you approach is going to be straight in to 25L.. You will fly over the mountains and then just start your final decent into LA. Nothing too exciting, Doing the approach over the Pacific is nice, but it takes too long because you have to be vectored all over the place. You can count on a nice ocean departure out of LAX when you leave. More than likely you will be on a loop departure, bringing you straight out for a while, then turning straight back to LAX. Its a pretty cool departure.

LHcapt2007

Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:18 am

So the Loope Departure which teardrops back overhead LAX? The LAX Departure is vectors south around Pacific Palisades and eastbound between the LGB & SNA airports, then...

3000' is the standard clearance limit westbound...

Destinations south of SNA are normally issued SNGO4 (San Diego-4). Destinations between LAX & SNA are normally issued SLI4 (Seal Beach-4). Both start with similar headings/vectors as LAXX4 though. Normally Socal Departure clears you to 15,000' with 250 or 280 knot assigned speed. LAX Center normally removes the speed restriction upon initial check-in.

Pretty departure at least...
LHcapt2007
TNCM

A330Fan1

Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:20 am

I can pretty much guarantee that you will be landing from the east. Usually the Pacific side is used sometimes at night, or during bad weather (I think?).

-A330Fan1

socalatc

Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:25 am

The standard arrivals into LAX(south complex) are the civet 4 or Paradise 4 arrivals. On departure the initial altitude is 3,000 but you do not stay there for long. After fuler intersection you usuially start slowing speed, and at that point you start flying the ILS approach. Normal speeds on the approach are from 160-250 depending on traffic ahead of you and coming over the SLI VOR.

InnocuousFox

Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:06 pm

Hit CIVET and then straight down the valley. Sit on the right side so you can see the mountains for 40 miles... very nice!
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

RareBear

Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:46 pm

Pretty mountains off to the north, but if you look down, you see nothing but miles and miles of concrete, asphalt and short buildings.
Illegitimus non carborundum

Aaron747

Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:59 pm

In almost 100 arrivals to LAX over the years, I've never once flown into 25L. It's always been SADDE6 - and it's by far one of my favorites. That downwind leg tracking the SMO 070 radial is just spiffy.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

jcs17

Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:14 am

Talking about LAX approaches, is there anyway to guess which a/c is landing on which side of the airport. For example, can you usually predict which runway the European carriers will use and which one the Asian carriers usually use. I've noticed that most of the time, flights from Asia land on the north...
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

InnocuousFox

Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:46 am

"That downwind leg tracking the SMO 070 radial is just spiffy."

That would be cool... but I'm always coming from DEN so I get the straight-in down from Riverside, Ontario, etc.

"Talking about LAX approaches, is there anyway to guess which a/c is landing on which side of the airport. For example, can you usually predict which runway the European carriers will use and which one the Asian carriers usually use. I've noticed that most of the time, flights from Asia land on the north..."

Anything that comes from east will usually get the left side (south). Anything that comes from Asia or up north will get the right side (north).

jsnww81

Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:52 am

I've landed from the west (over the Pacific) just once - in 1988 on a Northwest DC10 that arrived from Honolulu at the ungodly hour of 2 o'clock in the morning. I remember seeing nothing but darkness out the window until just before we touched down - which meant an over-ocean arrival (they're common in the middle of the night).

If you're arriving during the day, as many have said already, you can be 99.99% sure that you'll come in from the east over south-central LA and Inglewood. Don't fret though - you'll have great views of metro Los Angeles and you'll be over homes and freeways until just before you touch down. LAX's eastern approaches are great!

Tom in NO

Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:53 am

Landing at LAX last February from HOU, we actually landed on 24R. Of course, we were on Southwest (which always looks for the quickest way in or out, which is fine with me)!

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

InnocuousFox

Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:53 am

When I was at the Sheraton Gateway for a week last May, I remember that some of the late night action was the occasional arrival from the water. Not a lot of it though. At that point, there are so few ops that they can just use whatever is more convenient.

AeroAussie
Topic Author

Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:07 pm

Thanks for all the input! Indeed, we landed on 25L. I was on the right side, as many of you reccomended so I got some nice views of the mountains. But now that I'm here, what is up with this dense fog hanging around the beach in Santa Monica?! It's sunny and warm everywhere, then you hit the beach in Santa Monica and it's cold and dark. Two days in a row! Sheesh. I thought you Californians could do better than this.

Thanks Again,
Nick

Aaron747

Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:14 pm

It's called onshore flow. We love it - keeps things cool while the losers in the valleys bake.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

CV990

Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:46 pm

Hi!

I landed 4 times in LAX. First time was with TWA, a L1011-1 from STL and we landed at night, we passed over LA and it was impressive to see how big a spread os LA, millions of tinny little lights on the ground. Second time it was from SEA with UA, a 737-300 and because it was during the summer and it was a great day we came north, at one moment we were over the Pacific and saw those small islands, then a left turn beeing parallel with LAX, then a tight a huge right turn to the final aproach. Third time from FAT with Skywest in a EMB120 Brazilia, mostly the same path like the previous flight only difference was that we cross the mountains and never came close to the ocean. Finnally the last and most "exotic" was from ZRH with SWISS in a MD11, all the information was that we should land passing over LA like usual, but shortly before we started to prepare for landing the pilot said that it was a great storm over LAX and we would land from the Pacific, it was fantastic, not because of a great view..... we had clouds all over almost until we landed, but shortly before we landed we saw the ocean, lost the view again and touch very heavy on the ground, the first contact was incredible hard, then the second one for good with a large amount of rudder control!!!!!
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

eham

Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:56 pm

flew into LAX once, on DL B764 from ATL, landed on one of the south runways, quite a spectaculair approach there...I liked it  Big thumbs up

jumbojet

Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:02 am

Departures from 24R are amazing as well. I recommend sitting on the Left side of the plane since you get the overview shot of LAX after turning back towards the states. If you've got good eyes and its a clear day, you can see the incoming traffic into LAX as the plane is turning.

SlamClick

Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:47 am

You will almost certainly land west, on the 24s or the 25s.

If you sit on the right side, you will be looking at downtown LA and may see the "HOLLYWOOD" sign on the low ridge between LA and Burbank, San Fernando Valley. The LA Coliseum is on that side and there is a DC-8 and a DC-3 on display there, visible from arrivals.

Sitting on the left side you will be looking down toward Long Beach harbor. Not a lot to point out down that way. The snow-capped "Matterhorn" at Disneyland is a little too far to see.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Aaron747

Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:46 am

Gorgeous view I snapped last weekend:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Aaron 747

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos