Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kl713
Topic Author

QF Domestic, What To Expect?

Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:51 pm

Hi! After the "what's this airline like" question regarding JL, for my mother and sister coming to Australia in june, I've got the same question now....for another airline, and for myself this time Big grin :

I've just booked an e-ticket on the Qantas site, flying Perth to Darwin on april the 27th. Aircraft scheduled: 738.

Since this will be my first (and probably only) Qantas domestic experience (I will experience QF international in august from SYD to BKK), I was wondering what the on-board service is like on QF domestic, how are the facilities at Perth airport and Darwin, the fastest way to get in and out of the airports. To make a long story short, all the usual questions.  Laugh out loud

I'm looking forward to this flight, in just a couple of weeks...after finishing (another) long period of typical backpacker work (fruit-picking) in rural southern W.A.......Time to explore the top end and red centre of that beautiful country called Australia  Smokin cool

Thanks in advance for all the answers......

regards,

Danny (KL713)

kl713
Topic Author

RE: QF Domestic, What To Expect?

Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:45 pm

Hmm...hello?

apparently no one has ever flown QF domestically  Big grin OR can I only have full attention if I spell Qantas with the much-hated U  Laugh out loud

regards,

anstar

Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:52 pm

QF domestic is fine. You'll get a meal, alcohol after 4pm as well as an inflight movie.

The aircraft are new and comfortable.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

QF747

Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:35 pm

Hi Danny,

I have flown QF domestic many times. The 738 has a 3-3 seating with TVs folding down every couple of rows. You will receive a complementary meal onboard. I've flown on the 738 about 4 times now and liked it very much.

Perth airport domestic 2kms away from International terminal so you may not see any Int'l airlines taxiing past your terminal. Photo opportunities maybe limited to QF and DJ aircraft.

one of the good things is no 15km queue at checkin as Perth terminal not as crowded as SYD or MEL.

Regards,
Prana Mahen  Smile

Always Fly QF!

Akumas

Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:44 pm

Are you visiting the South Western region of Western Australia? If you are, you're in for a ride of your lifetime!!

Cathay Pacific

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:22 pm

Seat pitch on the 738 are a bit tight. (i'm 184cm)

Crew are much much MUCH nicer than their int'l colleagues

Don't expect too much from the inflt meals.

IFE are news and some short features.

[Edited 2004-03-15 15:23:50]

Air Taiwan

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:33 pm

Hi Danny,

I used be quite critical of QF's inflight service. However I've travelled them about 20 times with them domestically in the last 12 months I found them to be quite good in terms of inflight service and IFE/ seats etc.

You get a meal service, depending on what time of the day, you might get a full meal (brekkie/lunch/dinner) or a snack. If you want, email me and I can send you some pictures of QF inflight meals (yes I took them myself :p)

Cabin crew as Cathay Pacific mentioned, are much nicer than their international counterparts. Apparently they have very different culture (the dom and intl cabin crew)

If your flight is after 4pm you get complementary mini bottles of beer/ white/ red wine. And you can even ask for extras to take home!! (I've got 3 bottles at home from flying on QF dom!)

Anyways they're very nice airline to fly with domestically and I'm sure youll enjoy it.

cheers

Jimmy

Ken777

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:06 am

QF has come up a lot in the last few years in terms of food - they used to be at the bottom of the bucket. The flights are your basic 3+3 737s, packed a little tight. Try to get an exit row seat!

Perth is a great city and the domestic airport is very efficient and easy to use - sort of a first rate "small city" airport even though Perth is a large city. Depending on the time of day you fly you should be able to see a range of planes at the international terminal as you taxi.

Enjoy the trip, check out the beaches in Perth and some excellent local wines!

Qantasclub

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:09 am

Just read an editorial yesterday from the editor of ATW magazine who described Qantas as having "by far the best domestic service in the world". So enjoy!

airbear

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:36 am

"after 4pm you get complementary mini bottles of beer/ white/ red wine" ...
not true in Y-class. It costs.

Still, QF Domestic is propbably as good as it gets anywhere, for this type of flight. As has been said here, it is better & more consistant than QF Intn'l. However, enjoy it while it lasts, as the QF LCC Jetstar will gradually take over more routes. Then, Australian domestic service will be just like everywhere else in the world!

ClassicLover

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:52 pm

Never had an issue with the Qantas service - ever.

I've only had the pleasure of flying them many times domestically.

The crews are extremely friendly - probably a hangover from when the domestic was Australian Airlines / TAA. They had great morale, that airline!

On one flight I expressed how much I enjoyed my meal to the F/A and she asked me if I wanted another one - I said yes, and got it. On another flight, the meal was so good that I asked for another meal and she hunted about for me and came up with the goods.

I always sit in one of the last rows, and usually always choose a 737 over anything else. For some reason I find them a lot more intimate than a widebody.

The interiors are always clean, fairly modern - IFE I don't usually pay much attention to. Legroom - well, I'm 170cm and I'll never ever have an issue there with any airline, so it's more than adequate for me!!

Cheers,

Trent  Smile

aussie747

Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:09 pm

"after 4pm you get complementary mini bottles of beer/ white/ red wine" ...
"not true in Y-class. It costs."

It is only complimentary on all services operated between the following destinations (basically only cityflyer services) PER/ADL/MEL/CBR/SYD/BNE on monday to Friday after 4pm

Movies will also show on all domestic journeys of three or more hours in duration.

Meals and crew pretty much discussed.

The flight on a 738 is on some of their newest equipment oldest aircraft is no more than 2 years old and some literally only a few weeks. TV drop screen every two to three rows, ensure you are not to far away from viewing any IFE.

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:12 pm

I'm just guessing here....but I bet you get a small seat...probably about 17 inches wide, 31 inches pitch, and a beverage. Maybe you'll get some pretzels (or vegemite or whatever Australians never eat on the ground but for some reason serve in the air). For god's sake, just about every airline on this mortal coil has the same service in economy on domestic runs: small seat, beverage service, pretzels. Period.

SA7700

Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:41 pm

"For god's sake, just about every airline on this mortal coil has the same service in economy on domestic runs: small seat, beverage service, pretzels. Period."

Guess again MaverickM11.....

On Qantas you still get decent food during breakfast, lunch and dinner. You even get a Magnum icecream for desert. (Domestic and international routes). You don't have to buy food, only spirits, should you have the taste for it.

lauda777

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:41 pm

Im looking forward to my MEL to PER flight next weekend on the big new A330-300, and I deliberately booked so I get breakfast on the way up and dinner on the way home on the 763 much more spacious for the 4 hour flight than a 738  Big grin

Q330

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:48 pm

Although I haven't had too much experience on QF domestic, I have been on one of their 738s and I can tell you that you will not be disappointed by it. They're nice new planes with great lookin' winglets!

Lauda777, I'm jealous!

-Q

worldoftui

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:48 pm

Might see you at PER Lauda777. I am also flying PER-MEL this weekend.
Flew MEL-PER on the A330. Hope you enjoy it.

Mark.

kl713
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:21 pm

Thank you all for the replies!

So I can probably look forward to a good domestic flight with all the domestic ingredients....QF way ofcourse Big grin

I would love to fly the QF A330!! I'm quite jealous as well! Does the A330 operates on the SYD-BNE route? In that case I might consider a 2nd domestic experience.....  Big grin

Akumas: yes, I'm staying in South-Western WA, beautiful region...but at this moment, work is more important to me than sightseeing.

Can anyone give me some more information on Aussie aviation mags (So far I've only red Australian Aviation, but there must be more definitely!) and stuff as dedicated aviation shops in/near the cities and spotting possibilities @ Perth, Darwin and Sydney airports? Thanks again  Big thumbs up

QantasA332

Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:30 pm

Does the A330 operates on the SYD-BNE route? In that case I might consider a 2nd domestic experience.....

Nope, unfortunately not. Those 330s sure are beautiful aircraft, though...good luck, you might get to fly on one!

As for Aussie aviation publications, Australian Aviation is pretty much the best, in my opinion. And stores? Hobbyco in Sydney(http://www.hobbyco.com.au) is pretty good in terms of models. Also check out Collectors Aircraft Models Australia (http://www.camaust.com.au) if you go to Melbourne -- they have a great range of models.

Have a good time here in Australia!
Cheers,
QantasA332

worldoftui

Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:37 pm

There is a superb viewing area at Sydney Airport. It is in the International Terminal area. Head on in and go towards the left. Past the check-in desks and will be signposted to a bar. Up in the lift and there you go.
BONUS: The bar up there serves up proper cold VB's - what more could you want!

Mark

Akumas

Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:42 pm

Have you ever been to the SW region of WA? It's very nice.

Are you going to Margaret River perchance? The town has become much more populated.

I hope you enjoy it down there.

Marara

Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:52 pm

DRW is not a very busy or big airport you'll be out of there within 15 mins of getting off the plane (the PER flights usually come in when DRW is pretty quiet)

Qantasflyer

Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:38 pm

Qantas domestic product and standard is really good. You get a decent meal, comfortable cabin, entertainment and truly world class service. You wont regret flying with QF!

Regards

aussie747

Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:53 pm

Another Australian publication that I subscribe to is "Aircraft and Aerospace"

Quite informative and published 10 times a year.

Beno

Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:10 pm

Qantas A332,

QF operate A330s from SYD-BNE a couple of times a day.

Todays 8am arrival from SYD was A333 QPB.

Air Taiwan

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:12 am

Yes QF does use A330-200/300s on the BNE-SYD run. I've been on it a few times myself. Once I got VH-QPC just weeks after it was delivered, and it was totally awsome!

So I've been actively booking myself on QF A330 flights to BNE ever since~ hehehehe

Jimmy

kl713
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:37 pm

Thanx all for this information!

Akumas: This is my first visit to Australia, so also my first visit to WA. I've already visited the Goldfields and the south coast (Albany, Esperance), and now working in the Southwest, in Pemberton. I'm gonna skip the West coast for now, but will definitely be coming back in a couple of years to do that part of the state. When I'm finished with the work down here in Pemberton, I'm gonna take a short visit to Margaret River before I take my flight out of PER. Heard a lot of great stories about that place, so I definitely gonna take a look out there.

I'm gonna discuss a possible domestic flight from SYD to BNE with my mum and sis when I see them in SYD in june. They just can't refuse an A330 flight! Big grin

fuffla

Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:06 pm

You'll love it. Qantas domestic fleet is new and fresh. With their A330's and 737's. Even their 717's are great. It flew a 717 from SYD to Hamilton Island. They are a great aircraft and the service is always fantastic.
Have a great trip.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos