Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mirrodie
Topic Author

"Strategic Air Command" Movie Mar. 17 On AMC

Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:48 am

Hey guys.

I know from time to time we get these threads about great old aviation movies.

I've been dying to see or get an old VHS copy of Mayday from 40000 ft and That one about the Gimli Glider. But I have yet to see them. Any offers?

Back to the topic at hand, another great old aviation movie, as described to us by some of you, called "Strategic Air Command" will be showing this Wednesday evening, March 17 at 11:55 PM eastern standard time.

Just wanted to give y'all a heads up as I had never seen it myself. I'll be watching it.

Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

learjet25

RE: "Strategic Air Command" Movie Mar. 17 On AMC

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:00 am

It's good, I own it myself.

Navion

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:03 am

Thanks for the "heads up". I'll be sure to watch it (again...for about the 10th time!).

tristarenvy

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:04 am

About as cool as you can get for an aviation movie. Sure, it's pretty much a cold war era film, but the air-to-air shots of the Convair B-36's are stunning. Jimmy Stewart delivers, as always, you have plenty of 50's cars thrown in, and an assortment of other USAF aircraft like the B-47, and a few B-45 Tornado's tossed in. (Watch carefully in the scene where a DC-3 makes an emergency landing at the SAC base. The B-45's are lingering on the flight line)

Tampa Bay area A.net folks will get to see MacDill AFB in it's 50's glory, too!

I fell in love w/this gem in the 70's as a little kid....

VistaVision at it's finest! Too bad it's not avaliable in DVD.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Swain

If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:07 am

While you enjoy Strategic Air Command, J. Stewart and J. Allison...
Remember that General James Stewart was an Air Force Reserve pilot.
He was a B-29 and B-50 pilot. He owned a PA-18-150 Super Cub...
xxx
He actually flew the airplanes while making the movie (B-36, B-47)...
A gentlemen, and respected pilot he surely was. Never got to meet him.
xxx
Some actors from Hollywood are pilots.
One of the most respected is Cliff Robertson (watch his movie "The Pilot").
He owns various taildraggers and biplanes.
During the filming of "The Pilot" he actually flew the DC8 subject airplane.
And John Denver was a pilot, met him a few times, when he flew his LR-35.
Many of his songs he sings were inspired by the magic of flying...
What a loss he is.
By the way, George Kennedy is a pilot too. He started loving airplanes with the 1st "Airport" movie.
He holds a CPL as well, rated in Citation I understand.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:06 am

As for the one about the Gimli glider, the grimaces on the Pilot's face in various stages of flight are spectacular. If real pilots made those faces, they'd be permanently deformed after the first landing.

Don't expect too much. As I remember there is some comment about "you guys sure have a lot of space up here now" about the 767 flight deck. Course, the one in the movie is larger than my bedroom, and has eight foot ceilings.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

EMBQA

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:25 am

While you enjoy Strategic Air Command, J. Stewart and J. Allison...
Remember that General James Stewart was an Air Force Reserve pilot.

He also served on Active Duty on Combat bombing mission during the Korean War....!!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

TSV

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:27 am

What a coincidence it was on one of the free to air channels here in Oz on the weekend. However didn't watch it as "Battle of Britain" was on one of the others so I watched that.

Anyone know the name of that movie with the B-52 and KC-135 squadrons always practicising getting away and the base commander eventually cracking up?
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

APP

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:08 am

If I remember rightly, in the movie 'Strategic Air Command' in one of the scenes, there is a briefing with a wallmap in the background. On the Map, it shows a body of water between Scotland and England. Can somebody confirm this when they watch the movie on Wednesday.
I've got to add that it's years and years since I watched the movie so it could be that my memory of it isn't quite accurate, but I'd love to have confirmed or otherwise!
APP.

Ant72LBA

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:37 am

I remember that film Tsv but annoyingly can't remember the title. The Station Commander stood right by the runway with a stopwatch as the B-52s on quick reaction thundered into the sky past him............magical moments!

These type of films are quite often on BBC2 on a Saturday afternoon if anyone in the UK is interested.

2912n

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:07 am

I don't remember the plot, but it might be "Bombers B-52"

OPNLguy

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:20 am

>>>Anyone know the name of that movie with the B-52 and KC-135 squadrons always practicising getting away and the base commander eventually cracking up?

If that's the one where the base commander flunks an ORI and is replaced by Rock Hudson (to whip the base into shape, especially 2nd-in-command Rod Taylor) I think you're referring to "A Gathering of Eagles". Barry Sullivan is also an officer that doesn't make the grade (and goes to the hospital for some reason), so maybe that's the plot situation you're thinking of.

This one also has a air-to-air refueling that goes wrong with a burst pipe within the B-52 and they do an emergency breakaway from the tanker.. Robert Lansing is also in as the lead mechanic who helps tweak an engine at last minute to avoid an ORI-failing abort...

[Edited 2004-03-16 02:24:03]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

dc8jet

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:10 am

Without a doubt Strategic Air Command is one of the best aviation movies of all time. Another good scene is when June Allison is talking on the phone at the airport in Fort Worth and an AA CV-240 goes past the window.

That other movie you are talking about is Bombers B52 with Carl Malden and Efrim Zimbalist (?) I remember having the comic book version of that movie and it was called No Sleep Till Dawn

SEAPete

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:26 am

What I love about Stratigic Air Command is that for once Hollywood actually made an effort to get some realism in. Some of the modern aviation films make me laugh at how awful they get things (discussed many times on A.net). My guess is that they had *Fantastic* support from USAF on Stratigic Air Command.

Might just have to TiVo it!

James Stewart is one actor I respect for actually serving and doing a tour of duty flying in WWII.

Never saw Bombers B52.

Cheers!

Pete
SEA No other place like it

mirrodie
Topic Author

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:15 pm

WEll, I'll be watching with popcorn!

Anyone has an old VHS copy of the Gimli Glider lying around? I can trade a video.  Smile
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

L-188

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:05 pm

Now did Jimmy actually do the primary flying in that movie.

Because it was my understanding that the first movie to have the star do the primary stunt flying was "The Aviatory" with Christopher Reeve.

Modern Times, Harrison Ford owns several aircraft, and Michael Dorn has/had a T-33
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Tiger119

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:10 pm

One of the funniest parts of "Strategic Air Command" is when the Dutch shows up for duty after being called back (or is it being called "Called Up") and the unit commander (can not remember if he was a full bird or a one star) asked him why he was not in uniform, and Dutch said, "Because all my uniforms are the wrong color!" Another funny scene was when Dutch told his wife that she was "going to have a baby."
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

OPNLguy

Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:20 pm

Just a note to bring this thread up to the top and mention that the movie starts in about :30...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

pilotpip

Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:47 pm

Great movie!!

Other notable people that are also pilots:

Ted Williams was a pilot during both WWII and Korea, I believe he has confirmed kills.

George Bush flew a TBM Avenger in WWII, and was shot down.

We all know about John Travolta.

Harrison Ford also owns a Bell 206.

DMI

huskey8

Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:23 pm

One of my favorite Jimmy Stewart movies is Flight of the phoenix very odd concept do you think it could work ?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos