Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nycfuturepilot
Topic Author

Whats Your Favorite Airport To Fly Into Or Out Of?

Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:57 am

Whats your favorite airport to fly in to or out of and why?

(please do not say your home airport just because its home but if it really is your favorite for other reasons then it is okay)

My favorite airport to fly out of is EWR (terminal C) because they have great food and ice cream and the nicest presidents room. (i know ill get yelled at for choosing ewr)

My favorite Airport to fly into is MCI because it takes about 20 sec (literally) to get from the gate to the exit door.

COAB767

RE: Whats Your Favorite Airport To Fly Into Or Out Of?

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:05 am

HNL because of the reef rwy
EWR because u get an excellent view of manhattan
GUM because that's where im based at
SEA because taxi time is really fast.

ua777222

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:10 am

I would have to say.......................................... (it is sfo but then the second best is) KCCR. We once flew into KCCR in a Citation (just saying it b/c you have to have a jet to park at this area) and all we had to do was shut down(pacific states aviation) and out the gate and into the hotel or into your waiting car. The people there are more than polite, this one time when we came in for a game of golf (crap course not worth the trip) we came back and fresh cookies were waiting in the sitting area. Very nice and polite.

UA777222

eddieho

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:12 am

The old HKG airport... it's almost like a roller-coster ride!

AMERICAN757

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:16 am

ORD, I can see my town, and Chicago if Im on the right side of the plane on take off. I also like to see all the activity in the air around and on the ground. The UA terminal, the only terminal I have used at Ohare since I was like 5 is very bright and roomy IMO, and also very open and modern. Very easy to navigate if you know the airport and like people.

As far as getting through Security and checking in its MKE, very empty and easy to get from gate to baggage, and to find driver with his sign. Usually at Ohare theres like 15 other drivers standing around.

767Lover

RE: Whats Your Favorite Airport To Fly Into Or Out

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:25 am

I agree 100% about MCI (Kansas City). It is sooooo easy and convenient.

I also like flying in and out of Birmingham, AL because it's small enough that you can get through the airport in about 15 minutes.

usdcaguy

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:33 am

My very favorite is Barcelona-El Prat. Efficient train service from town, beautiful main hall, tall ceilings, floor to ceiling windows with great views of aircraft, nice shops and great restaurants. Terminal A houses the stations of many foreign airlines, and the airport's handy terminal displays list a wide variety of interesting destinations.

COEWRNJ

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:34 am

Nycfuturepilot
I'm going with you for leaving from EWR. Definitely Terminal C. I like the fact that there is so much to do and so many places to eat and shop. Also like watching the planes take off at the end of the C-1 concourse.

Favorite place to fly into would have to be HII because you walk off the plane and then they open the window and hand you your bags, but if were talking about airports that have more than two flights a day I would have to go with either PBI or TUS due to the fact that you get your bags so quickly.

ArmitageShanks

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:36 am

I would say the curved approach into JFK.

schweizair

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:50 am

DIA! It's heaven on earth. No matter how crowded it gets, I never got squashed. There are always a lot of truly excellent restaurants and, although I admit to having shopped duty-free only several times in the last five years, DIA is pretty good in this area. The baggage system has been improved and it worked like a charm. My dad doesn't understand all the furor over the baggage system. One time, American lost his luggage. They had to get it from the Jeppeson Terminal to Concourse C and it arrived right on time. They simply threw it in and the plane left. The moving walkways make getting around easier than it looks. A great looking airport, plenty to see, a breeze to navigate and totally modern, what more could I ask for? The only negative thing I can think of, if any, are the constant conspiracy theories passed around by X-Files buffs. Their theories are just kooky and silly. One even claims that the murals of Native American artwork are sly propaganda posters. He even put up a website:
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/5692/

Is he crazy or what?

deltairlines

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:53 am

MCO. It is very aestically pleasing (at least on the Delta airside), the check-in counters are pretty much right next to the drop-off roadway, you get to take the people-mover, and there is always something nice to spot.

Jeff

jetbluefan1

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:55 am

SAN. The airport is never overly busy, but it's never dead. The terminals are spacious and I've experienced excellent customer service from the people who work there. The arrival pattern into SAN is awesome-right through downtown. The night arrivals are even better with the downtown lights and the port.

JetBluefan1

sushka

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:59 am

A few of my favorites to go through:

FRA
MSP
SVO
CWA
ORD
SLC
SAN

Least Favorites:
DME
CDG

schweizair

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:04 am

Sushka

I'm not the least bit surprised to find CDG on your list of least favorites. Even the French don't like it that much. One Frenchman even said he'd spell the name D'gall! Another French citizen moaned: were the architects drunk when they designed it? Those comments were found at an excellent ombudsman website: www.elliott.org.

sw733

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:11 am

I have 2 favorite airport I have flown INTO - MCI and HKG (Kai Tak). MCI because of the quick and easy way of getting out of the airport, and Kai Tak because of obvious reasons (i felt like i could touch the houses!). Departures, I like MDW because of the fun, steep climbs over the houses (and landings are pretty fun too!). I also like RSW because it is my vacation airport and upon takeoff I can look out over the Gulf one last time!

MCIB757

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:22 am

I love the approach into LGA, right next to Manhattan, an amazing sight. And like SW733 I also love RSW b/c that's my vacation airport too and I get to fly over Sannibel Island and Ft. Myers beach, two beautiful sights. And finally some good things get said about MCI, it is amazingly easy to get in and out of, I love it for my airport.

Tom

nycfuturepilot
Topic Author

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:25 am

I dont get how people like MCO, I find this to be the worst airport. The food is terrible, the security lines take forever, its always crowded, there arent really any interesting planes, and the worst part is that pain in the a$$ monorail lol. Sry if i offended you deltAirlines lol

snn2003

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:48 am

I have a thing for small regional airports so my vote is for Dubuque, IA (DBQ) If you wanna know what I like for the big guys I like London Gatwick (I didnt spell that right did I?) I flew into there on TWA many times before they tanked. And on a side note my vote for worse would have been Boston, MA (BOS) for the terminal A construction and the Big Dig.

ContinentalEWR

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:55 am

Newark
Heathrow
Geneva
Las Vegas

Aaron747

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:00 pm

Well, since we don't have Kai Tak anymore...

LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX LAX

NIKV69

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:06 pm

Do you know the way to Mandalay Bay?

LAS baby!!

Even though I mostly drive to Vegas the times I fly into LAS are few but AWESOME!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Stevenson - SPOT THIS!

CO737800

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:14 pm

YVR is the best by far. Its close to the city center, the airport layout has to be one of the best in the world.

Spike

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:14 pm

Here in Asia, Chek Lap Kok is certainly now the best airport to fly into for a quick exit. Faster than Changi and better designed. Best airport to fly out of - Beijing, as you know you are leaving at last.  Smile

xjramper

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:18 pm

From a pilots point of view...i would say river visual @NY and approach 7RL and 6RL at LAX.

XJR

N62NA

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:21 pm

Favorite for flying into is EWR, but that's just because when they're using the 22 runways for landings, and I'm flying up from the south, I fly over the town where I grew up.

Favorite for flying out of is SYR because (unfortunately), you never have to wait in line for takeoff - they hardly have anymore flights going there!

flybynight

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:28 pm

I agree with O'Hare. I love the UA terminal, especially walking underground between the terminals listening to American Rhapsody (and the funky lighting).
You also get an excellent view of the airplanes while walking to your gate. Good food choices, and the bathrooms even have toilet seat covers that automatically change.
HNL is just so beautiful, so I have to include "her" on the list.
My worst was Detroit Metro, but I am sure the new NW terminal is great.

flymia

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:30 pm

MIA because it is my home town. And especially when coming in on a Domestic flight from maybe MSY or i dont know really any airport late at night at like 21:00 and the flight attendent says all the connections to South America and then says how this 767 is continuing on to SCL! Once in the 777 from LAX-MIA there was a young couple probaly first time going to MIA maybe and when we landed they had the connections on the PTV and the couple look and where like wow look at all these places from Miami we can go to even though they came from LAX. Or once i came in on VS from LGW and AA from LHR just came in so the PA was saying American Flight from LHR VS flight from LGW and then other baggage claims where Alitialia, LH, KLM Or the best if when the board at the airport you landed at shows the code share flight. Like in LGW is said VS 001 from MIA and then CO 7545 From MIA. And at the same time cam AA from STL,RDU,DFW and VS from CO / KMCO), USA - Florida">MCO, NW DET, US, CLT,PHL or Pit.
Others airports are JFK and LAX. Love landing on a clear afternoon in JFK in NOV ready for a nice time in NYC.

NightHawk117

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:33 pm

DIA....Most beautiful airport I've been through. Quite spacious and the security checkpoint lines move quickly. Also, I LOVE the elevated walkway where you can watch jets taxi through underneath!  Big thumbs up

sushka

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:38 pm

SCHWEIZAIR , I know, the place is all screwed up. I cannot figure it out. Plus the inside is extremely ugly and dirty. The escalators feel deador something and there is nowhere to sit because the seats are so freakin filthy!

sushka

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:40 pm

Some more favs:
LGW
LHR
ARN
HEL

keno

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:41 pm

My favourite airport is GVA Geneva-Cointrin. I wouldn't call the airport an architectural masterpiece but you've really got to love the Swiss efficiency. What I love most about GVA is the transport link to the city - you can take a train (not fancy trains like LHR Express) which only takes 6 minutes. To get to other major Swiss cities, you don't even have to change train at the city because all mainline services begin & terminate at the airport. I'm being a tiny bit biased here because I love Switzerland, and everytime I arrive in GVA I know I'm gonna have a wonderful time ahead (p/s - I don't ski).

My favourite London airport is LGW because of various choice of restaurants and places to hang out pre-departure (open 24 hrs) : LTN & STN probably have the worst choices. Need I even say about LHR? Chaos!

[Edited 2004-03-16 04:52:13]

trijetfan1

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:43 pm

I like MCO!!!
I also like CLE

NW747-400

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:51 pm

MLB
DAB
PHL

MLB because of the amazing views on the ocean departures and DAB because it takes me 2 seconds to get there from my school...not to mention both are served by DL. Not a fan of MCO, security checkpoint lines are sometimes 1hr+ and the road system is difficult to navigate. My favorite major is PHL, the approaches from the north are really cool and it is easily accesible.

coexjhknight

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:53 pm

I am a little partial to IAH. Especially the new terminal E. Great layout in my opinion. And you can't beat having a Pappasito's in the terminal! I mean how convenient is that!

All though I do like my new home airport. PSP is definately a great place!

Happy flying!

IMissPiedmont

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:17 pm

I will freely say PHX on the "into" part because it means I am just 3 hours from home. I like home. I'd be happier with TUS but, as my flights are all business, and my employer does not fly there, PHX wins.

The rest are just stops on a journey and mean nothing any longer.

Can I be any more of a bummer?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy God I'm old, where did the magic go?

nycfuturepilot
Topic Author

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:32 pm

What happened to not mentioning a place simply because it is your home airport? lol

IMissPiedmont

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:52 pm

I guess because I did not claim PHX or TUS as my favorite except in the fact that I am home, not as favorites for any other reason as neither are really special on approach or takeoff.

Disqualify me if you will.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

UwoAviation

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:59 pm

YXU because I once arrived at the airport too early and it was closed. Had to wait for a lady to open up the door to the airport for me Big grin

pouyazad

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:09 pm

I have heard the new airport of Tehran has been open since last month. I really like to fly there to see how it is after many years of construction. I wish I fly to this airport for my next visit to Iran.

LFutia

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:16 pm

Enjoy

EWR
AMS
ORD

Dislike:
BOM
DEL

QIguy24

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:21 pm

Not because I am danish, but my favourite is with no doubt CPH. There are so many things to do in that airport. And it is always clean and nice  Big thumbs up
And they have tons of different shops from child clothes shop to music shops. One other good thing about CPH is that they have so many different restaurants to choose fom as well. Both for the rich and the average guy like me.
But heir domestic terminal 1 is REALLY REALLY booooooring.

And my second best airport is MCO with no doubt! I love that airport!

BlackJackLV

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:23 pm

1.Chicago O'Hare

2.Las Vegas McCarran

BlackJack

ClassicLover

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:38 pm

I love flying out of Adelaide airport in Australia - why?

Boarding a 763 via the rear stairs is such a treat! I feel so jetset, so 60s!! It's rare that you get to walk under the wing by the engine to get onto a plane.

No aerobridges in Adelaide you see...

Favourite airport to fly into - Sydney!

Firstly you sometimes get a great view of the city on approach and secondly it's home, and I love it  Smile

Cheers,

Trent.

dontlikeairbus

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:48 pm

I've always found PVD to be such a delight. Very pleasant feel to it, small and manageable. Easy access to downtown and Boston via the bus. Also the TGI Fridays is good for some good grubbing before boarding any Southwest flight.

My absolute favorite tho is Changi in Singapore. Talk about efficiency. Its almost embarrassing coming back to the States after experiencing some of those asian airports. I had high hopes for Denver when I flew their last year but Changi just blew it away.

Of course the sentimental favorite is LAX. Yeah it can be a dump and there is plenty wrong with it but its my home.

SV777KiloAlpha

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:09 pm

Dubai International Airport (DXB/OMDB)

Reasons:
1. Great design
2. The best Duty Free I have ever seen
3. Nice views of the apron and runways
4. Great food
5. Nice lounges for F and C class
6. Finally, easy arrival and departure procedures

Big grin
HZ-AKA

ckfred

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:10 pm

I like flying into LAS. First, I like that the baggage claim and ticketing are separated by the access road, so the baggage claim is less congested than other airports. Second, the airport is so close to the hotels on the Strip. It is usually about 7 minutes from the rental-car lot to the Monte Carlo.

I also like flying into SEA. The rental-car lots are in the parking garage, so I don't have to take a shuttle bus from the terminal. I like flying out of SEA for the same reason.

I like flying out of ATL. Since I fly AA, the ticket counter is very close to AA's gates. I don't have to take the underground train.

I like flying out of LAS, because of the view of the Strip upon take-off.

I like flying into ORD if the approach is from the east. Then I can usually see the Loop and/or Wrigley Field.

RonE

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:42 pm

ZRH is one of my favourite airports to fly INTO, at least before they opened the new terminal, since it is about the most hassle-free I've ever been to- I once timed how long the arrival process took, and from the second the wheels of the plane touched the ground until I arrived at my dad's appartment a total of 45 MINUTES had elapsed (including passport control, baggage claim, customs, and the drive into town)- doesn't get any better than that!

The airport I was most keen to fly out of was probably San Cristobal at the Galapagos Islands- I don't have anything against the place, it was beautiful, but I had spent the previous five days on a small ricketty boat cruising the islands without having taken a shower- I was very much looking forward to a hot shower, a nap on steady solid ground and a nice warm meal upon arrival at GYE, so I was ever so happy when the plane departed.

koreanair747

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:49 am

My favorite airports are:

AMS and ICN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos