Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GDB
Topic Author

Jetliners At Brooklands And Concorde To Join Them

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:44 am

Last Saturday, myself and 34 other members of http://www.concordesst.com/ spent a day at the Brooklands museum.
Once the site of a very early racetrack and where the first aircraft flight in Britain was made, later a Vickers factory, once merged to form BAC the forward and rear fuselages of all 20 Concordes were constructed there, as well as a host of other components.
Now it houses a motor and air museum, a good collection including a VC-10, Vanguard, BAC 1-11 and many other aircraft, this museum is to get Concorde 202, G-BBDG, the first UK production aircraft.
http://www.concordesst.com/202.html

Concordesst.com. as you can see if you click the link for the main page in line 1, is helping with this project.
It's a big project, but do-able, it will when complete, turn Brooklands from a small, not well known museum, to a must see for any self respecting aviation person.
Concorde should be dismantled at Filton for transport to Brooklands in a few months, then the restoration can begin.
Unlike other museums with a Concorde, eventually Brooklands intends to have the Concorde much more open to the public than any other museum, even the flightdeck.

You can see this now with some of the other aircraft we went on at Brooklands, the VC-10, an ex BUA aircraft which was the aircraft of the Sultan of Oman until 1987, was fascinating with its VIP interior and spacious flightdeck.
So was the Vanguard, a BEA/BA machine, like most converted to a Merchantman freighter, before the last operator Hunting Aviation, retired it in 1996.
But most interesting was the BAC 1-11, built in 1965, it was stretched to become the first 1-11-500 aircraft, later still, it was restored to the original fuselage length as the first 1-11-475 version, before ending it's days as a testbed aircraft.
The museum also has Viscounts, a range of military aircraft and much else.

Many Concorde spares have been delivered to Brooklands for 202, we saw a nose/visor mechanism being worked on, an Olympus engine on a stand, 202 won't have engines fitted, rather they will display the modules that made up this powerplant system, the intakes, engine and exhaust/reheat/secondary nozzles.

Interesting to talk to some of the museum volunteers, many are BAC veterans, one old gent once worked on Comet 1s at BOAC.
Another was a former colleague from Concorde, who retired a few years ago, though I missed him as he was in the local pub for his lunch.

Plans to dismantle 202 and move it were discussed in the audio/visual conference room and a good time was had by all.

After which we returned to concordesst.coms adopted home, the Green Man pub near LHR.
Some sst.com members had come from the USA for this day, so with the pub shut except for sst.com members on this day out, they were duly fed and entertained, as we all were.

For a bunch of people who a year ago did not know each other, the sst.com people have achieved much, such as getting a member on the last but one BA001 by raising money, mostly by selling Concorde CDs with material from members, more of this sort of thing will happen to raise money to help restore 202.

I claim no part in this, I've provided help and info where I can, but the real work has been done by others, and they are a diverse bunch, a good laugh too, not the stereotypical 'geeks' at all.
Some Airliners.net people are involved, from the UK and US, they can back up what I say here about sst.com.
One UK airnet member, Declan, was at Brooklands on Saturday.

Naturally I've contacted former Concorde colleagues about this, as their vast experience will be welcome, many of them started out at Brooklands, building VC-10s and Concorde components.

Want to take part, in any way at all? You could get the chance to help restore the Concorde.
Well I've provided the links, and here is one from Brooklands, which you can navigate for an overview of Brooklands itself.
http://www.concordesst.com/brooklands/index.html

Shamrock_747

RE: Jetliners At Brooklands And Concorde To Join Them

Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:46 am

Saturday was the first time I had a proper look around Brooklands. It's a very interesting place - the aircraft collection and knowledgeable volunteers give a valuable insight into that era of aviation.

The Concorde 202 restoration will be very exciting. The aircraft is in a bit of a sorry state at the moment but with a lot of effort we will create the best Concorde display/exhibition in the world.

Like GDB said there are many ways to get involved in this worthwhile project. At the moment fundraising is the biggest task - next Sunday I'll be rattling a bucket amongst the crowds at Brooklands along with several other concordesst.com members. Even if you don't live in the UK you can get directly involved and have your name in the aircraft. We've just raised the £10,000 needed to restore and fit the Captain's seat on 202's flight deck - everyone who has pledged through sst.com so far will have their name in a book on the back of the seat, and you still have a chance to get your name in the book by pledging before the end of this week.

The excellent "Jetinder" CD is still available through concordesst.com - it's a fantastic celebration of Concorde through audio, pictures and videos. All of the proceeds from the CD go to the G-BBDG Brooklands appeal.

Declan

Stretch 8

Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:21 am

Thanks for the informative post. I will add Brooklands to my list on my next visit to the U.K.

I love BOAC/BEA/BA history. First trip across the pond was in a BOAC VC-10 with my dad. We later flew a BEA Trident to Paris.

voodoo

Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:36 am

Too bad they couldn't fly it in like the Omani VC-10 and, more recently, the Vanguard. Tho Concorde would have needed an arrestor net a la the `Airport `79' movie. Big grin

AvObserver

Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:08 am

"Thanks for the informative post. I will add Brooklands to my list on my next visit to the U.K."

I second this, and as usual, GDB does to utmost to keep the Concorde legacy alive, succeeding admirably, as always.  Big thumbs up

"Too bad they couldn't fly it in like the Omani VC-10 and, more recently, the Vanguard. The Concorde would have needed an arrestor net a la the `Airport `79' movie. Big grin "

Good thing this has never been tried, given the unbelievability of just about EVERYTHING in that movie. I somehow doubt it would have turned out too well.

ClassicLover

Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:35 am

Personally, I can't wait to get over there...

I need to see all the aircraft I love in the flesh!!! (Comet, Concorde, VC10) ...

Nice report - always good to hear!

Cheers,

Trent  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos